Page 767 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 ... LastLast
Results 19,151 to 19,175 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I'm in 100% agreement, but your posts have been darker than usual. Keep your chin up. You're one of the good ones.
    Yeah... been feeling demoralized everytime I see HIM on the news and hear the crap coming out of his mouth.

I did however save a baby bunny from my cat tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200523_175949.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	329489  
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Yeah... been feeling demoralized everytime I see HIM on the news and hear the crap coming out of his mouth.

I did however save a baby bunny from my cat tonight.
    Better not hear any complaints from you when the bunnies start eating your garden. (my wife loves bunnies. her bunnies liked to bite me when I fed them. No more bunnies.)

I just got a text from a friend in Illinois:

“I spent five days in the hospital last week; got discharged Monday. Tested negative for COVID twice, but was still considered positive because I had “classic COVID symptoms”
    - bilateral pulmonary emboli, bilateral pneumonia, and something called ground glass opacities.

Spent my first night in a COVID ICU, then was moved to a unit for non-intensive care COVID patients.

Most fucking scared I’ve ever been. I swear if I hadn’t gone to the ER I’d probably be dead now.

It’s one thing to see pictures and clips of nurses and techs on the news, quite another to be in the middle of it. Holy shit. Give your RN wife my best.”

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Article said all the customers were wearing masks too.
    Recently I brought one of the residents, from the group home where I work, to a Great Clips, they require customers to wear masks and they wear masks themselves. The stylists were spread out, leaving ~10-12 feet between the closest chairs in use. They were sanitizing their stations between customers as well. It seemed they were doing things as would be recommended. Perhaps it's the same there, and though exposed, no one got infected. On the other hand, hair cutting/styling is a up close gig, and often involves plenty of chatting, which would lend to greater potential for transmission if the masks are poorly made and or fitted.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Co-worker already tested positive. Incoming "Masks are worthless!!" from the false dichotomy crowd in 3...2...

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Nothing is going to happen to him. He is proof there is no god, no karma and no justice. People like him suck but rarely if ever suffer the consequences of their actions. Suffering is reserved for the people they step on as they go about their daily glib lives.
    Of course there is a God, it is written:

This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men. Daniel 4:17

See my signature for understanding.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Brazil's leader told his people to meet the virus like a man not a boy.

Jair Bolsonaro undermined Brazil’s coronavirus response. Now there’s a political crisis.
    I’m ready for this guy to lead by example. He seems the type.

More from my friend n Illinois:

“Thanks, and tell (your wife) thanks. A friend of mine is an ICU nurse in the hospital I was in and she’s been telling me about it here and there. She (and a lot of them) are getting therapy. It’s gut wrenching.

I totally understand (your wife’s) terror. Almost everything that goes into w COVID room stays there. Anything that has to leave the room, like vials of blood, gets put in a biohazard bag that gets wiped down with Clorox wipes before it’s passed out of the room. COVID rooms have been retrofitted with window fans to maintain negative air pressure. All the air gets exhausted to the outside.

I write hospital regulations for a living. One of the emergency rules we adopted when this started was one allowing hospitals to repurpose and retrofit rooms for this.

I took all this in as I lay there in the ICU. I actually did think of (your wife) and what you told me when we talked a month ago.

Like I said, it’s one thing to see it on the news, quite another to see it first hand. I will never forget it, as long as I live.

Lasting effects? I’m on blood thinners for the pulmonary emboli. My mother had them in the 90s so I have to get tested for something called factor 5 to see if I’m genetically pre-disposed. If not, fine. If so, then I’ll be on blood thinners the rest of my life.

I’m also going to get tested for antibodies. Despite two negative tests, having all those symptoms is too much of a coincidence.

My best to your friend in Havasu. I’m glad she’s better. I had body aches too. It fucking sucks. This virus is brutal. I saw “before and after” pictures of a COVID survivor the other day. It was worse then pictures of AIDS patients back in the 80s.

I’m on quarantine until Thursday - two weeks from when I went to the ER.

About a week prior to that, I thought to myself, “I should do some light exercises. Some jumping jacks, alternate toe touches, push-ups, etc.”

I’d get winded, worse than I thought was normal. I have asthma, but this didn’t feel like an asthma attack. And my inhaler didn’t work. It got worse on the 12th. On the 14th, I put in for a sick day (working remotely from home and needing a sick day) and spent the day in bed.

In the evening I went to the grocery store and thought I was going to die. I just couldn’t fucking breathe. When I got home Michael took one look at me and almost started crying. I told him I was ok, but after another hour I told Julie I was going to shower, get dressed, pack, and go to the ER. Then I started crying.

“Why are you crying?”

“Because I’m afraid.”

I had her drive me because I figured I was too deprived of oxygen to drive. She was not allowed in the hospital. They screened me at the entrance and my heart rate was 160. The nurse did a double take. Eight weeks of COVID and the nurse did a double take. Fuck me sideways.

So that’s why I went."

From my friend:

“Thanks, and tell Ann thanks. A friend of mine is an ICU nurse in the hospital I was in and she’s been telling me about it here and there. She (and a lot of them) are getting therapy. It’s gut wrenching.

I totally understand Ann’s terror. Almost everything that goes into w COVID room stays there. Anything that has to leave the room, like vials of blood, gets put in a biohazard bag that gets wiped down with Clorox wipes before it’s passed out of the room. COVID rooms have been retrofitted with window fans to maintain negative air pressure. All the air gets exhausted to the outside.

I write hospital regulations for a living. One of the emergency rules we adopted when this started was one allowing hospitals to repurpose and retrofit rooms for this.

I took all this in as I lay there in the ICU. I actually did think of Ann, and what you told me when we talked a month ago.

Like I said, it’s one thing to see it on the news, quite another to see it first hand. I will never forget it, as long as I live.

Lasting effects? I’m on blood thinners for the pulmonary emboli. My mother had them in the 90s so I have to get tested for something called factor 5 to see if I’m genetically pre-disposed. If not, fine. If so, then I’ll be on blood thinners the rest of my life.

I’m also going to get tested for antibodies. Despite two negative tests, having all those symptoms is too much of a coincidence.

My best to your friend in Havasu. I’m glad she’s better. I had body aches too. It fucking sucks. This virus is brutal. I saw “before and after” pictures of a COVID survivor the other day. It was worse then pictures of AIDS patients back in the 80s.

I’m on quarantine until Thursday - two weeks from when I went to the ER.

About a week prior to that, I thought to myself, “I should do some light exercises. Some jumping jacks, alternate toe touches, push-ups, etc.”

I’d get winded, worse than I thought was normal. I have asthma, but this didn’t feel like an asthma attack. And my inhaler didn’t work. It got worse on the 12th. On the 14th, I put in for a sick day (working remotely from home and needing a sick day) and spent the day in bed.

In the evening I went to the grocery store and thought I was going to die. I just couldn’t fucking breathe. When I got home Michael took one look at me and almost started crying. I told him I was ok, but after another hour I told Julie I was going to shower, get dressed, pack, and go to the ER. Then I started crying.

“Why are you crying?”

“Because I’m afraid.”

I had her drive me because I figured I was too deprived of oxygen to drive. She was not allowed in the hospital. They screened me at the entrance and my heart rate was 160. The nurse did a double take. Eight weeks of COVID and the nurse did a double take. Fuck me sideways.

So that’s why I went."

Really sorry F.

Godspeed to us all.

We must Rage, rage against the dying of the light and those who would risk our lives with their cavalier ignorance
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Really sorry F.

Godspeed to us all.

We must Rage, rage against the dying of the light and those who would risk our lives with their cavalier ignorance
    Thanks KQ, and I agree; keep doing the right thing.

Rage against the dying light, because that's you have.
    Hold it tight, scared as I am.

@flyover, i wish you iceman immortality.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Man, that’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Iceman gets to carry that torch until he decides he’s done.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Man, that’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Iceman gets to carry that torch until he decides he’s done.
    Nice chuckle.

Sorry about your friend. When it hits younger folks it can hit them hard. But most under 60 barely get grazed.

The covid nurse I hugged two days ago is in her 40s.
    20 workers on her floor tested positive and quarantined. One was admitted, he is only 50. Sucks.

The other 19 had minor symptoms.
    She had a slight loss of taste and slight lower body muscle ache. Not much.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Have you seen him in white golf gear? He's, what, 74, does shit for exercise and stretching, and sits on the throne for an hour or maybe more every morning rage tweeting while he tries to expel fast food from last week. I'm seriously amazed he can stand and walk and talk at this point. It's really unfair on a macro personal fitness level. Hopefully, he drops like a stone from stroke or cardiac failure soon.
    Naaa he's one of those outliers that can punish their body without issue. Part of being mostly evil.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Kamala Harris V.P.

Warren Sec of Treasury
    Not a Harris fan. Warren in treasury would be perfect except that I need her on the ticket to feel better about voting for Biden. Unfortunately, Warren in treasury is only partially useful, need Warren clones in Congress and the Oval Office to provide meaningful legislation. And in the courts. Because the bat shit crazy party is stuffing the courts with bat shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) is an old drug, been around longer than most of us. Overall it's relatively safe, and has been used by loads of people for malaria prophylaxis and therapy over the years. I used it for almost a year while I was in malaria endemic areas, although more recent trips to such regions I'd used mefloquine as prophylaxis.

Arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm that can lead to sudden cardiac death) did not originally show up as a red flag (or "black box label") on initial HCQ studies, but that may be because it was approved so long ago (in the 50s). The prevalence is not determined, again because the drug was approved before there was extended clinical trial “vetting”, although there are case reports of it causing heart arrhythmias in the medical literature. I'm guessing the actual incidence is pretty low, prolly <5% more likely <1% or less.

HCQ has since been observed to be associated with significant heart arrhythmias in SARS CoV 2 patients receiving it in combination with azithromycin (AZR), another antibiotic which is in a class of antibiotics (known as macrolides) that have a track record of causing arrhythmias. Again, since AZR is a relatively old drug, (though much newer than HCQ, from the 80s) the incidence of cardiac side effects is not well established, although again probably on the low side as above.

The recent Lancet article that's in the news right now, confirms earlier recent reports, and showed that both HCQ and AZR were each independently associated with an increased risk of heart arrhythmia (roughly double) during hospitalization of SARS CoV 2 patients. Also, no clinical benefit was observed, actually lower survival noted, with an increased risk of in-hospital mortality. A weakness of this study is that it is a retrospective analysis (looking back) and less able to adequately control for outcomes. By that, I mean that there is a possibility that sicker patients were the ones that received the drugs, and therefore skewed the results. However, the authors do address this in their analysis, and did their best to control for such variables, so overall I think it’s pretty sound.

To answer Skidog's question, the best way I can describe it is that in general, we don't think malaria has direct cardiac effects, although it has indirect effects that may contribute to heart failure, and the association is not particularly strong. What little we know about SARS CoV 2 is that the virus itself may have more direct effects on the heart, in terms of inflammation-mediated microclotting events in the heart vessels that can lead to dysfunction. So the side effects of HCQ and AZR, individually and combined, may be more pronounced in SARS CoV2 patients than in malaria patients.
    Much appreciated. Love this place.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

It took me a while to get around to posting, but I was on service for three weeks during the ‘surge’ in the Boston area.

Our palliative medicine team was consulted on every covid ICU patient, and about 1/3rd to a 1/2 of the covid general medicine floor patients. Given my line of work, death is a pretty normal thing(I’m typically not seeing you because you are well). This, was decidedly different. Every patient I personally saw for three weeks in the ICU died. During that span the hospital only successfully extubated two patients, both younger with far fewer comorbidities. The tail of the illness is long—the last patient I cared for died about a week ago.

The waiting period was terrible for families. ICU team would say, ‘they are stable, still on two pressors, sedated, antibiotics.’ Family would hear stable and feel relieved, and then we would have to have additional conversations undoing the (often unintentional) false hope the ICU team would give. Families frequently struggled to make decisions, no doubt made worse by not being able to see the degree of suffering their family was in. Videos only show part of the picture and gravity of it. ICU teams frequently were not realistic—‘well I can’t say they won’t recover’ was a common reason to just wait and wait and wait. If you are 80 or 90+, have physical and cognitive comorbidities, you aren’t vented for two weeks and suddenly back to baseline. Plain and simple.

Frankly, care looked pretty bad in the hospital those few weeks. It seemed like almost everyone on the floor had delirium. It was upsetting to see 90+ folks with severe dementia be admitted to a hospital, alone and such that family couldn’t visit. PT/OT visits was way down, the physicians weren’t going on to the units any more than necessary. Nurses were amazing, but almost overwhelmed. Some volunteered from research roles and hadn’t cared for a dying patient in 20 years. I can’t imagine what that felt like.

Visitors could come for ‘actively’ dying patients. Several times I guessed wrong and planned for family to come in the next day, only to have the patient die before hand. That felt terrible. Not having family there almost meant arranging video/phone visits fell to whoever was able, and became a big part of what we did. It was surreal, beautiful, and deeply sad to hold up your phone to FaceTime a patient with their family to say goodbye.

Thankfully, volume is way down for COVID cases. We had a subsequent spike of non covid consults afterwards, but things almost seem ‘back to normal’, apart from everyone wearing masks and face shields all the time.

The aftermath for me has been the rage I feel towards folks who don’t wear masks, get too close in public, flaunt their lack of compassion for others under the guise of ‘freedom’. It’s tiring, and I wish they could have had one day of the experience I did, hoping they would see things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Ha. While I've demonstrated a somewhat notable ability to almost die and then rally and then actually be pretty much fine again, I have no intention of fucking with the covidzz if at all possible. Keeping my head down and my mask on.

Cant, thank you for your efforts, I honestly can't imagine, it must have been like a literal battlefield. Get some rest man.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    It took me a while to get around to posting, but I was on service for three weeks during the ‘surge’ in the Boston area.

Our palliative medicine team was consulted on every covid ICU patient, and about 1/3rd to a 1/2 of the covid general medicine floor patients. Given my line of work, death is a pretty normal thing(I’m typically not seeing you because you are well). This, was decidedly different. Every patient I personally saw for three weeks in the ICU died. During that span the hospital only successfully extubated two patients, both younger with far fewer comorbidities. The tail of the illness is long—the last patient I cared for died about a week ago.

The waiting period was terrible for families. ICU team would say, ‘they are stable, still on two pressors, sedated, antibiotics.’ Family would hear stable and feel relieved, and then we would have to have additional conversations undoing the (often unintentional) false hope the ICU team would give. Families frequently struggled to make decisions, no doubt made worse by not being able to see the degree of suffering their family was in. Videos only show part of the picture and gravity of it. ICU teams frequently were not realistic—‘well I can’t say they won’t recover’ was a common reason to just wait and wait and wait. If you are 80 or 90+, have physical and cognitive comorbidities, you aren’t vented for two weeks and suddenly back to baseline. Plain and simple.

Frankly, care looked pretty bad in the hospital those few weeks. It seemed like almost everyone on the floor had delirium. It was upsetting to see 90+ folks with severe dementia be admitted to a hospital, alone and such that family couldn’t visit. PT/OT visits was way down, the physicians weren’t going on to the units any more than necessary. Nurses were amazing, but almost overwhelmed. Some volunteered from research roles and hadn’t cared for a dying patient in 20 years. I can’t imagine what that felt like.

Visitors could come for ‘actively’ dying patients. Several times I guessed wrong and planned for family to come in the next day, only to have the patient die before hand. That felt terrible. Not having family there almost meant arranging video/phone visits fell to whoever was able, and became a big part of what we did. It was surreal, beautiful, and deeply sad to hold up your phone to FaceTime a patient with their family to say goodbye.

Thankfully, volume is way down for COVID cases. We had a subsequent spike of non covid consults afterwards, but things almost seem ‘back to normal’, apart from everyone wearing masks and face shields all the time.

The aftermath for me has been the rage I feel towards folks who don’t wear masks, get too close in public, flaunt their lack of compassion for others under the guise of ‘freedom’. It’s tiring, and I wish they could have had one day of the experience I did, hoping they would see things differently.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Seems worth quoting.

ETA: Thank you for your hard work and for sharing that.

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Keeping my head down and my mask on.
    My glasses fog if I look down while wearing a mask. So I have to hold my head up high. And SIP.

Always a refreshing sameness to the TGR groupthink.

Dontneedaweatherman#
    watch out for snakes