Page 1356 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 ... LastLast
Results 33,876 to 33,900 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Huh. My wife has been working her ass off since March of last year creating new material that works via zoom calls. Same with all the teachers I know.
    Apologies---should have said back to in-person school

What's the scoop on Invermectin? Just ran into a buddy who said his friend ordered the equine version online for $20 and self-administered (is it a shot?) and told my friend he was now immune. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    What's the scoop on Invermectin? Just ran into a buddy who said his friend ordered the equine version online for $20 and self-administered (is it a shot?) and told my friend he was now immune. WTF?
    the equine versions of things sound pretty great
    swing your fucking sword.

He said the comparison was that the ingredients were the same as the human version of it, except you get 1200 lbs worth of protection from the equine version. Old Goat?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    He said the comparison was that the ingredients were the same as the human version of it, except you get 1200 lbs worth of protection from the equine version. Old Goat?
    Dood, there is no immunity from that DRUG. Taking it prophylactically isn't going to do much at all other than part you with $.

"Ivermectin has been shown to inhibit the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in cell cultures.13 However, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies suggest that achieving the plasma concentrations necessary for the antiviral efficacy detected in vitro would require administration of doses up to 100-fold higher than those approved for use in humans.1"

Not advised.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Thanks, Mofro!!! I always appreciate your input on these things.

Widely shared vitamin D-COVID-19 preprint removed from Lancet server

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/02/...8P6SSWajyMWig4

We have removed this preprint due to concerns about the description of the research in this paper. This has led us to initiate an investigation into this study.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Widely shared vitamin D-COVID-19 preprint removed from Lancet server

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/02/...8P6SSWajyMWig4

We have removed this preprint due to concerns about the description of the research in this paper. This has led us to initiate an investigation into this study.
    Well that sucks. It seems like so many treatment methods see initial positive results only to be pulled back.

Re ivermectin--draw your own conclusions
    https://www.covid19treatmentguidelin...py/ivermectin/
    most of the studies showed no benefit. One multicenter randomized trial showed improved mortality compared to control--but the "control" group got hydroxychloroquine, not placebo, so hypothetically the hcq could have been killing the patients, not Covid. Other than the lack of placebo that was the best trial and the largest so the results can't be poopooed.

On a positive note--retrospective follow up in the UK showed good effectiveness of a single dose of AZ and Pfizer including in the elderly.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e75_story.html
    The study group was 1.1M Scots who got the vaccine vs 3.3M Scots who didn't. (IE they studied the whole country.)

Biden held a ceremony today to remember 500,000 US deaths. Wonder what they're planning for 600,000.
    Last edited by old goat; 02-22-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Half a million people dead. FFS

Go back and read the first 5 pages of this thread I dare ya, we were pretty blase. 1 year and 1 month later and here we are.

Has anyone else wondered about "The 2020/21 flu season has been and remains unusually mild, according to the CDC".

More people getting vaccinated? More hand washing, masks and SDing?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Half a million people dead. FFS

Go back and read the first 5 pages of this thread I dare ya, we were pretty blase. 1 year and 1 month later and here we are.

Has anyone else wondered about "The 2020/21 flu season has been and remains unusually mild, according to the CDC".

More people getting vaccinated? More hand washing, masks and SDing?
    Agree.

Agree.

Yes.

Yes and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

?
    Nothing to wonder about, really. Influenza is transmitted in similar ways to COVID, but is less virulent. Even the states half-assing COVID measures have significant populations distancing, masking, washing hands, etc. it’s almost like basic public health measures work!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Nothing to wonder about, really. Influenza is transmitted in similar ways to COVID, but is less virulent. Even the states half-assing COVID measures have significant populations distancing, masking, washing hands, etc. it’s almost like basic public health measures work!
    Almost seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Biden held a ceremony today to remember 500,000 US deaths. Wonder what they're planning for 1,000,000.
    FIFY.

LA Times story about herd immunity
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-w...249395835.html

I'm skeptical, especially since immunity from natural asymptomatic infection is likely to be short lived and not effective against variants due to lower antibody levels than from vaccine, especially 2 vaccine doses : -- )
    Ok, Dr Two-dose, here's the question that keeps ringing in my head: if we're concerned about dropping down to one dose for mRNA's, should we also try to avoid the J&J/AZ vaccines because of their slightly lower efficacy numbers?

I feel like at some point Dr F is gonna have to answer that one since they've come out in support of "whichever vaccine you're offered" already (I'm regarding Dr. Fauci as the spokesman at this point). If a 90% effective J&J is good enough, what's wrong with offering more mRNAs at 90%+? (Full disclosure, I'm going to get the second shot.)

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    FIFY.
    Brings up a decent question. What if things actually get way worse before they get measurably better? Is it "someones" fault? Thats how we've thought about this thing the entire time...the politics of it all suck balls.

A coronavirus variant that emerged in mid-2020 and surged to become the dominant strain in California not only spreads more readily than its predecessors, but also evades antibodies generated by COVID-19 vaccines or prior infection and it’s associated with severe illness and death, researchers said.

In a study that helps explain the state’s dramatic surge in COVID-19 cases and deaths — and portends further trouble ahead — scientists at UC San Francisco said the cluster of mutations that characterizes the homegrown strain should mark it as a “variant of concern” on par with those from the United Kingdom, South Africa and Brazil.
    Ugh.

^^^
    What should really sink in is that South Africa and Brazil were both able to identify mutant strains before the USA. Anyone with half a brain had to know that mutations would be popping up here. Were the global leader in infections! There’s probably more mutations here than anywhere else. But we aren’t sequencing at the rate other countries are (even South Africa and Brazil).

Well, every body knows that the sequencers were designed by Hugo Chavez and the components smuggled in via rectal insertion, and then programmed and operated by the Squad. And they only employed pedophiles, of course, so it was obviously in our best interests NOT to use those unpatriotic ticking bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Well, every body knows that the sequencers were designed by Hugo Chavez and the components smuggled in via rectal insertion, and then programmed and operated by the Squad. And they only employed pedophiles, of course, so it was obviously in our best interests NOT to use those unpatriotic ticking bombs.
    I’m a just a simple man, but that all sounds right to me!

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Ok, Dr Two-dose, here's the question that keeps ringing in my head: if we're concerned about dropping down to one dose for mRNA's, should we also try to avoid the J&J/AZ vaccines because of their slightly lower efficacy numbers?

I feel like at some point Dr F is gonna have to answer that one since they've come out in support of "whichever vaccine you're offered" already (I'm regarding Dr. Fauci as the spokesman at this point). If a 90% effective J&J is good enough, what's wrong with offering more mRNAs at 90%+? (Full disclosure, I'm going to get the second shot.)
    I'm not in favor of one dose or two dose. Not in my job description. I'm in favor of whatever the experts decide. I'm just parsing the arguments.

As I said before, the problem with going to one dose with Moderna and Pfizer is that doing this in the general population without a formal study is that no one will know when the protection lapses until we get a big surge, and then they'll have to figure out if the surge is a new strain or lapsed immunity. Presumably the people who got 2 doses of the mRNA vaccines as part of the phase 3 trials will be followed for years--I hope, so if they start getting sick the cases can be quickly investigated and people can start getting boosters for whatever strain is the cause. If they do decide to go to one dose on the mRNA vaccines I hope they can identify a study population that they can continue to follow. AFAIK for the general population once you walk out of the clinic after your second dose you're on your own.

To put it more succinctly the issue is not whether you give one dose or two but whether you continue to follow the one dose patients the way the Phase 3 2 dose patients are followed.

The kind of follow up that I'm talking about might be possible in Scotland--small country that keeps good track of the health of its citizens. Another place that could do it would be Denmark--all kinds of population health studies come out of there because they keep health records on the entire population. If you can follow your entire population you don't need to segregate a study population ahead of time.

I'm not in favor of one dose or two dose. Not in my job description. I'm in favor of whatever the experts decide. I'm just parsing the arguments.

As I said before, the problem with going to one dose with Moderna and Pfizer is that doing this in the general population without a formal study is that no one will know when the protection lapses until we get a big surge, and then they'll have to figure out if the surge is a new strain or lapsed immunity. Presumably the people who got 2 doses of the mRNA vaccines as part of the phase 3 trials will be followed for years--I hope, so if they start getting sick the cases can be quickly investigated and people can start getting boosters for whatever strain is the cause. If they do decide to go to one dose on the mRNA vaccines I hope they can identify a study population that they can continue to follow. AFAIK for the general population once you walk out of the clinic after your second dose you're on your own.

To put it more succinctly the issue is not whether you give one dose or two but whether you continue to follow the one dose patients the way the Phase 3 2 dose patients are followed.

The kind of follow up that I'm talking about might be possible in Scotland--small country that keeps good track of the health of its citizens. Another place that could do it would be Denmark--all kinds of population health studies come out of there because they keep health records on the entire population. If you can follow your entire population you don't need to segregate a study population ahead of time.
    Obviously I'm just spitballing here, so not really looking to take a firm position on it, either. The recent numbers out of Scotland and Israel were what got me thinking the mRNAs might already be showing greater effectiveness in one dose than J&J. Which would start begging questions like this-- unless we're already too late to do anything but variant-specific boosters?

I wonder how much J and J we'll actually see--seems like a lot of the production might be headed for places without freezers.

I should add that if the plan is to get everyone a second dose within a few months a lot of objections go away, although not the concern about effectiveness against variants. Of course things don't always go as planned, especially if the drug companies have to stop making doses to work on vaccines against variants. (I learned that the major bottleneck in manufacturing the lipid nanoparticles that carry the mRNA into the cells--since that process won't change with variant vaccines it may be that creating boosters won't slow down overall vaccine availability.)
    Last edited by old goat; 02-23-2021 at 08:39 PM.

LA Times story about herd immunity
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-w...249395835.html

I'm skeptical, especially since immunity from natural asymptomatic infection is likely to be short lived and not effective against variants due to lower antibody levels than from vaccine, especially 2 vaccine doses : -- )
    I wasn’t aware that the vaccines provide complete immunity for everyone who gets them... I was under the assumption that the medical professionals told everyone it was just to limit severity of symptoms as you still have to wear a mask and social distance since you can give it to other people/still get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtuhockey33 View Post
    I wasn’t aware that the vaccines provide complete immunity for everyone who gets them... I was under the assumption that the medical professionals told everyone it was just to limit severity of symptoms as you still have to wear a mask and social distance since you can give it to other people/still get it.
    So you're saying you're adjusting your understanding to account for the mistake in your assumption? Are you removing the word "just" and accounting for the fact that some will also get "complete immunity" or do you need to flip from one absolute to another?