Page 671 of 884 FirstFirst ... 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 ... LastLast
Results 16,751 to 16,775 of 22099
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Who said 8? No where did I say 8. Come on man, read before you take the bait.

Thanks for joining the drift.

Oh, and Moss Landing for one. It actually goes flatter the longer the period once you get over 14sec. Especially when it is a direct West. Long period swells interact with the off shore canyon walls and deplete the swell. Ideal period there is 12 seconds. Like and 8-10@12 from just a hair north of west. You ware welcome.
    Stick to moss landing @ 12 seconds bud, which is long period swell anywhere else in the world, except in your head,

You. Are. Fucking. Spoiled.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

The main reason all that money is spent is because that is what people want.

Gone (or mostly so) are the days of "Today is a good day to die" as seen in "Little Big Man". People want and demand care to the nth degree pretty much regardless of outcome. Of course we can always create death panels to decide who gets what care. Conservatives love that shit.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Benny just holds a grudge against anything medical. Probably didn't get a lolly after a shot when he was a kid. He takes conspiracy theories a whole other direction.
    Wait, what? What did I say?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

The memes keep writing themselves

And you assholes let them run this country via Trump?

Name:  protest.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  72.1 KB
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post

But yet they're concerned enough to wear masks.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    But yet they're concerned enough to wear masks.
    Or unconcerned enough about surveillance and facial recognition to cover their faces. It's a mix of people who can't figure out which logical argument to rebel against when two lines of reasoning reach the same conclusion.

I'm in the rural county. Trump flags everywhere. Now the "end the fasict lockdown" posters are coming up. These Hicks are brainwashed by their media sources

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I'm in the rural county. Trump flags everywhere. Now the "end the fasict lockdown" posters are coming up. These Hicks are brainwashed by their media sources
    Rural counties are now becoming the hot spots and will likely continue to get hammered. Do you think this will cause any of these people to change their tunes? I'm not optimistic.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/....html#hotspots

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I also live in a rural area in New England. Facebook was bad before but it is becoming intolerable with the stupidity getting thrown about. Many of the people who post this shit don't even realize how much they contradict themselves from day to day.
    The ultra conservative media sources (see Alex Jones) are apparently ready to resort to cannibalism.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Considering they don't read the "failing" NYT I doubt they are listening. The rural folks think problems are in the cities not the sticks.

Stick to moss landing @ 12 seconds bud, which is long period swell anywhere else in the world, except in your head,

You. Are. Fucking. Spoiled.
    Yes. Spoiled. I like it that way.

Short period up to 11s
    12s - 16s - mid period
    17s and above is long

Ever surf a 25 second period swell? I think even OB gets washed out by that.

Carmel Cove prefers swell period between 7-10 seconds. Short enough? Any thing longer and the swells stretch out across the entire cove and close out. At 8s you are getting into A frame tubes.

Have we solved COVID yet?

To be fair, they thought that everyone else was going to be starving and dying while they enacted their white Christian vision for the country with their tacticool gear, not losing all their income while the rest of the country collects unemployment and watches Netflix and orders Doordash.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Yes. Spoiled. I like it that way.

12s - 16s - mid period
    17s and above is long
    ?
    Sweet indo memories. 18-20 and more is pretty crazy. 3foot 20sec+ was solid headhigh to overhead.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    @T-U and hut: I think he's more saying that billions upon billions of dollars are spent on treatments that don't materially affect outcomes but which do increase suffering (i.e. the amount of time that patients remain alive while deathly ill and/or in pain but without hope). And asking, who does that benefit? It doesn't benefit the patients or their families, yet we do it routinely. Clearly there's reasons for that.

Certainly it's not all of the money that's spent on it, or perhaps even most. But it's sure as hell a lot.
    Chemotherapy drugs is what is keeping Tahoe Forest open. They have the same number of oncologists for a 40,000 population base as my Kaiser has for 200,000 and their job is to prescribe drugs. There is a huge markup on cancer drugs. Eliminate the profit on chemotherapy and the hospital would be severely in the red--like most small rural hospitals. There is no way TF could be giving that much chemotherapy without a lot of it being of no benefit or harmful to the patients. This based on my review of the publicly available hospital budget. This is a publicly owned non profit hospital partly financed by property taxes.

David Quammen explains how we fucked ourselves:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...c69_popular4-1

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    @T-U and hut: I think he's more saying that billions upon billions of dollars are spent on treatments that don't materially affect outcomes but which do increase suffering (i.e. the amount of time that patients remain alive while deathly ill and/or in pain but without hope). And asking, who does that benefit? It doesn't benefit the patients or their families, yet we do it routinely. Clearly there's reasons for that.

Certainly it's not all of the money that's spent on it, or perhaps even most. But it's sure as hell a lot.
    I agree with all of that, and

Name:  B1622354-4AF4-4FA3-A3D8-9C0A13B1944E.jpeg
Views: 555
Size:  126.7 KB

Until the percentage of white deaths comes near the percentage of black deaths I don’t see a shift in established attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Until the percentage of white deaths comes near the percentage of black deaths I donít see a shift in established attitudes.
    What are the current percentages?

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    David Quammen explains how we fucked ourselves:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...c69_popular4-1
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because dedicated nerds stand ready to do science on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What are the current percentages?
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...#Race_Hispanic

Whites account for 60.4% of the population and 52.1% of Covid deaths. Blacks account for 12.5% of the population and 21.2% of Covid deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Of course we can always create death panels to decide who gets what care. Conservatives love that shit.
    Right Wing Media has recently created a nationwide Death Panel that has determined that a coupla hundred thousand older and/or less healthy folks should die. Logic checks out

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because dedicated nerds stand ready to do science on their behalf.
    We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Until the percentage of white deaths comes near the percentage of black deaths I donít see a shift in established attitudes.
    Or rather "Until the percentage of the dietary/smoking/drinking habits within black culture comes near the percentage of those same habits within boring vanilla white folks, I don't see a shift in results."

I LOVE me some soul food and all, but there are multiple reasons that COVID's hitting black communities harder as a raw percentage. Being multiple contributing factors that give rise to comorbidities. As a generalization, it's mostly basic white bitches that be into Yoga or [insert trendy exercise fad here] or veganism or [insert trendy diet fad here]. Again, talking generalizations here. Culturally speaking, what's it like in the most white bread, crunchiest parts of the PNW versus the most soulful parts of the Deep South?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way.
    Nice!

Oh, and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Or rather "Until the percentage of the dietary/smoking/drinking habits within black culture comes near the percentage of those same habits within boring vanilla white folks, I don't see a shift in results."

I LOVE me some soul food and all, but there are multiple reasons that COVID's hitting black communities harder as a raw percentage. Being multiple contributing factors that give rise to comorbidities. As a generalization, it's mostly basic white bitches that be into Yoga or [insert trendy exercise fad here] or veganism or [insert trendy diet fad here]. Again, talking generalizations here. Culturally speaking, what's it like in the most white bread, crunchiest parts of the PNW versus the most soulful parts of the Deep South?
    Is this a troll or do you believe that?