Page 645 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 ... LastLast
Results 16,101 to 16,125 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    That's okay. Let them waste their time and money on this. By the time it wends its way through the courts, we'll be back. Mostly, anyway. He's just grandstanding and the glassy-eyed sheep are sending in money they don't have. This is the start of a run for governor for him, I bet.
    Agree. And he has a snowball's chance in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I was just speaking my GF who is an elementary school teacher. And she was discussing the new measures they will be implementing if they re open. And it occurred to me that there will be huge expenses coming down the pipeline at the local level. While we’re bailing out cruise lines, shooting our wads at the LA Lakers , the schools haven’t even been mentioned.

Also, at some point, we can’t just shut everything down again. Grandma shouldn’t be picking up the kids. It’s got to play out. And in a country where such a huge % of parents are both working, big challenges ahead.

I hate to say it, but we’re going to have to let it play out at some point. Or we’ll all be pulling plows ourselves and living in the Stone Age.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I agree with you. You can only do so much to modify schools and daycares. I’ve heard some plans for re-opening daycares. A few things will work - the other 20, no way.

Covid didn't come to Canada from China ...

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...SK8_j-X1NlcWCM
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Guy next door was complaining about the people lying on the docks along the the north shore of Donner Lake. He thinks the Covid is going to blow onto his deck and into his apartment--which is at least 60 yards from and at least 60 feet higher than the docks. Surprised me because he's a right wing gun nut who I would have thought would be all about the guvment taking his feedoms but he's actually woke when it comes to the virus.. He's like one of KQ's friends--ignore his politics and he's a great guy, will do anything for you. Comes running over with a fire extinguisher every time I get a grease fire going on my grill and smoke starts billowing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Fascinating transnational multi-institutional collaborative research program starting up, the COVID-19 Host Genetics Initiative looking into genetic determinants of SARS CoV 2 susceptibility. I'm wondering if @LegoSkier knows whether Adaptive is going to get involved from their end as their T-cell receptor and B-cell library database could dovetail nicely with the whole-genome effort.

Edit to add: also a nice collaborative research effort on the SARS CoV 2 genome itself, firing up. If anything, I'm impressed and encouraged how scientific teams are forming in a cooperative open source model.
    Interesting. I will pass this along to the higher ups. Our main study is open data so any of these would be free to use that.

I guess I should pass along the study site. Have or had covid? Maybe you can help us out. https://immunerace.adaptivebiotech.com/
    Last edited by LegoSkier; 05-01-2020 at 12:23 AM.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Guy next door was complaining about the people lying on the docks along the the north shore of Donner Lake. He thinks the Covid is going to blow onto his deck and into his apartment--which is at least 60 yards from and at least 60 feet higher than the docks. Surprised me because he's a right wing gun nut who I would have thought would be all about the guvment taking his feedoms but he's actually woke when it comes to the virus.. He's like one of KQ's friends--ignore his politics and he's a great guy, will do anything for you. Comes running over with a fire extinguisher every time I get a grease fire going on my grill and smoke starts billowing out.
    I guess the guy didn’t get the maga memo that red hatters were supposed to be all about freeing the beaches from police state tyranny this week. Better tell him to look at the update on reddit
    Last edited by mcski; 05-01-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Covid didn't come to Canada from China ...

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...SK8_j-X1NlcWCM
    Which came to the US by way of Europe, which came to Europe by way of China.
    Using critical thinking we don't have to deflect culpability that parrots the Communist Chinese Party's propaganda.
    I mean shit happens and I don't think we go to war or cancel debts either, but at the end of the day, it originated in China, they lied and now they are doing a massive PR coverup.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You just seem to be way ahead of the curve. The rest of us have to come to this state sooner or later if we have to. That is, to survive, not go back to "normal" life of the past. For the people who can easily avoid work and crowd interaction, it may just be lonely, while those that have no real choice will have to deal, one way or another. This is why this phrase "we are all in this together" is such bullshit. No we're not. Some of us are just fine, all we have to whine about is no skiing and bars and sports, while many others are forced to choose between health and starvation. Furgetabout the really rich and their second home fortresses with fast internet connections and delivery services.

Good luck.
    I been saying the after effects of this will likely be far worse than the virus itself long term. Others are starting to speak up.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14799

And how crazy is it that nicotine seems to be a suppressant to covid. That's some Woody Allen sleeper shit right there. Hopefully the cure is cigs and weed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Remember when the Patriot Act got passed in the aftermath of 9/11 without most of the senate even having read the bill, because of the panicked political environment and the pervasive national sentiment of "everyone must do everything they can to address this emergency"? It's still law, and we're still pointedly targeting muslim people (or people who we confuse for being muslim) under its auspices. Giving the government (the police) the ability to use data from your phone to decide how to restrict your physical movements is an absolutely horrifying prospect. Look at the voter disenfranchisement operations that happen in red states already. Now imagine you show up to vote, but your phone's GPS history shows you likely live in a predominantly poor democratic part of your district... would anyone be surprised if these folks were more likely to be barred from entry due to "risk of infection"? "Ah sorry, nothing I can do, but the computer here says we can't let you in. Yeah seems like it determined you were in contact with a sick person. You should have received a ballot in the mail though, have a nice day!" And this is without even considering political protest/demonstration or anything like that.

That said: the Google/Apple proposed protocol was about as un-Orwellian as it could be, pretty much. Hopefully that's the model that gets used; anything GPS-based ought to be an absolute non-starter. Every person with a smartphone ought to be terrified at this notion and extremely critical of any proposals, heeding experts in software/technology/privacy much in the same way that we are heeding experts on infectious disease with respect to social distancing protocols.
    I say this to friends..slippery slope..like Snowden said..but I'm labelled a trumpeter (didn't vote for him) or a conspiracy theorist. Use your brains people.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Hmm... Have you already forgotten that things like this exist?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
    I worked on that datacenter. Scary shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I been saying the after effects of this will likely be far worse than the virus itself long term. Others are starting to speak up.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14799

And how crazy is it that nicotine seems to be a suppressant to covid. That's some Woody Allen sleeper shit right there. Hopefully the cure is cigs and weed.
    I bet the people with permanent lung damage, heart problems or damage from strokes or the dead people and their families would disagree with the aftereffects being worse than the virus itself. I don't know, what's worse, losing a half billion (or more) people to a population thinning virus if we hadn't taken extreme measures or having those of us that don't die "stuck" with a different world than before because we did?

I guess that means I shouldn't be doing bong hits and filtering that out then, back to one hitters...

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

I get the feeling a lot of people do not want to go back to work. I talk to cops, or school teachers with guaranteed checks and they think we should stay shuttered. Then I talk to bartenders and waitresses with kids and they are going through hell and no one gives a fuck. People are already planning to do it all over again with a second spike. Can you imagine closing schools again in the fall? Are we going to hold back a generation of kids?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    NYTimes has a story on the great Swedish experiment:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/w...-immunity.html

I think it's pretty interesting. Swedes have been able to continue living their lives without massive changes and the country has not been devastated.
    Again use this with most people and logic goes away. They're smaller, less people, not same, blah blah blah.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Also, at some point, we can’t just shut everything down again. Grandma shouldn’t be picking up the kids. It’s got to play out. And in a country where such a huge % of parents are both working, big challenges ahead.
    Outside of the people who, for whatever reason - personal, political, or other - seem to be adamant that we keep the country shut down for an extended period of time, I see schools ability to re-open as the biggest challenge. With the majority of two parent households being in the workforce, it's going to be tough to get shit re-opened without schools. Problem being, the risk/reward for re-opening schools with <1mo to go before summer vacation is hard to justify. If it all goes well, great. If not, it wasn't worth it. But if schools don't open, it's likely that a lot of camps and other kids summer activities will also not open, which means working parents are pretty much fucked until school starts again in the fall.

they just had summer vacation. when ever they return, just start the year new.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Fair enough. Can the adults in the room agree that the mortality rate from this thing is pretty fucking unsettling, and is going to end up being significantly higher than 1%, no matter how much testing we do? To get it into that 0.5-1% ballpark, that would mean that right now, 1 out of every 25 Americans(roughly) is infected with it. That seems unlikely.
    Why is it so unlikely when something like 50% or more are asymptomatic? I've seen numbers like 25% NYC positive for antibodies. Not concrete yet but promising?

Hahaha.

Capitol physician says he doesn't have enough tests for all senators

https://www.axios.com/senate-doctor-...48f38ab12.html

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Censorship, smensorship. Who gives a flying fuck? The only thing that matters is data. Those two docs were polished, charismatic, and convincing. They also happened to be factually wrong which is the only thing that matters.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    they just had summer vacation. when ever they return, just start the year new.
    I hear you, but I guess that depends on where you are and what the schools are (or are not) doing during the shutdown. A lot of the towns in my area got certified by the state for 'distance learning'. The kids here haven't been IN school since 3/11 when they handed out chromebooks and sent them all home. 3/12 & 13 were "snow days" so the teachers could prepare e-lessons and they started in distance learning on 3/16. School is scheduled to let out on 6/14 - we had 'spring break' 2 weeks ago. Anyhow, my 5th grader gets about 4-5hrs of work a day and they're definitely still introducing and teaching new concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I bet the people with permanent lung damage, heart problems or damage from strokes or the dead people and their families would disagree with the aftereffects being worse than the virus itself. I don't know, what's worse, losing a half billion (or more) people to a population thinning virus if we hadn't taken extreme measures or having those of us that don't die "stuck" with a different world than before because we did?

I guess that means I shouldn't be doing bong hits and filtering that out then, back to one hitters...
    billions? I havent seen any #'s even close to that. Im not belittling anyones death, or those at risk, and for the most part am not too crazy about the steps taken thus far. As mentioned many many times here, antibody tests that are effective and re-infection rates will be the real determining factor.

I also have no delusions we could ever do what Sweden did/attempted in the USA. People here are just different. Some listen, some refuse to. Apparently in Sweden they are much more amicable to doing it on their own. I still think there are "lessons learned" from their way though.

The big takeaway from this whole episode is that Hilary was spot-on with her "deplorable" comment. This country is an absolute disgrace, and that's as a result of its citizenry first and leadership second. I'm ashamed to be an American.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Outside of the people who, for whatever reason - personal, political, or other - seem to be adamant that we keep the country shut down for an extended period of time, I see schools ability to re-open as the biggest challenge. With the majority of two parent households being in the workforce, it's going to be tough to get shit re-opened without schools. Problem being, the risk/reward for re-opening schools with <1mo to go before summer vacation is hard to justify. If it all goes well, great. If not, it wasn't worth it. But if schools don't open, it's likely that a lot of camps and other kids summer activities will also not open, which means working parents are pretty much fucked until school starts again in the fall.
    and with all the reccos for social distancing how would school even work? Tell me how you keep kindergartners to social distance? What school has enough room to put 6 feet of space between like 25-30 students? What do you do at lunch? Rolling classrooms? half morning, half afternoon? Whats that do to the 2 parent working families. Again i think some of the real ramifications of all this will be worse than the virus itself. The poor get poorer and the rich stay rich. I've posted a few links that talk about that. I for sure don't take this as a political move personally. Its hard to talk about it with a lot of people though cause they cant separate the 2.

An MIT study (can provide link if really want) talks about the potential new "normal" being stuff like when X ICU beds are full we lock down again. This could mean 2 months school, then 1 month off, then back on, so on and so on. How would that work for the middle and lower class? Not well I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Censorship, smensorship. Who gives a flying fuck? The only thing that matters is data. Those two docs were polished, charismatic, and convincing. They also happened to be factually wrong which is the only thing that matters.
    but why only single them out for misinformation. Seem youtube is more than willing to let 9/11 conspiracy videos, and chemtrail nonsense, and 5G cancer BS, people are burning down cell towers and shit. Im cool with that they have the right to remove stuff based on policies, but they should follow those policies in a straight line. Just MHO.