Page 52 of 898 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 22434
    At least he can look shit up on WebMD with his cell
    watch out for snakes

FWIW:

The patient was a man in his 50s who had "significant, chronic, underlying health conditions," said Jeff Duchin, health officer for Seattle and King counties, during a CDC press briefing.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Everyone in the padded room is getting an introduction to the imbecile that is steepconcrete
    And a refresher course on jgb’s gullibility. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    "I make too much to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to buy a private health insurance plan on the Affordable Care Act exchanges."

Bet brosef prioritizes owning a cell phone over health insurance.
    And just what is $240 a year going to do for his health insurance? How about the high deductible that will come with it? Drop in the bucket to sacrifice connectivity to the world.

There's a strong argument to be made that global health security is national security, that hollowing out the CDC and public health infrastructure wasn't such a good idea, but here we are and here's how contagions often play out:

1. Governments are typically unprepared, disorganized, and resistant to taking steps necessary to contain infectious diseases, especially in their early phases.

2. Local, state, federal, and global governing bodies are apt to point fingers at one another over who’s responsible for taking action. Clear lines of authority are lacking.

3. Calibrating the right governmental response is devilishly hard. Do too much and you squander public trust (Swine flu), do too little and people die unnecessarily (AIDS).

4. Public officials are reluctant to publicize infections for fear of devastating the economy.

5. Doctors rarely have good treatment options. Nursing care is often what’s needed most. Medical professionals of all kinds work themselves to the bone in the face of extraordinary danger.

6. In the absence of an effective treatment, the public will reach for unscientific remedies.

7. No matter what the route of transmission or the effectiveness of quarantine, there’s a desire to physically separate infected people.

8. Victims of the disease are often thought to deserve the affliction, especially when those victims are mainly from marginalized groups.

9. We plan, to the extent we plan at all, for the last pandemic. We don’t do enough to plan for the next one.

10. Historical memory is short. When diseases fall from the headlines, the public forgets and preparation falters.

https://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/contagion/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.39.26 AM.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	775.0 KB 
ID:	318228

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    And just what is $240 a year going to do for his health insurance? How about the high deductible that will come with it? Drop in the bucket to sacrifice connectivity to the world.
    Remind me, did douchebag in chief roll back the minimums on plan coverage so that insurers can fuck over consumers? Regardless, brosef may get pummeled with copays but would at least have catastrophic coverage in the event he's tagged by a car. In theory.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Yeah, and, what, are you saying poor people shouldn't have a phone? Because it's highly doubtful he has a landline at home.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Everyone in the padded room is getting an introduction to the imbecile that is steepconcrete

Nah everyone is just getting a demonstration how politicized everything has become. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Survey says 'You're full of shit.'
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-timeline.html
    The outbreak started on 4/15/09. On 4/26/09

What he did in October was declare a national emergency as the new flu season started and the cases started to grow again. A Public Health Emergency and National Emergency are two different things. You, and an idiot, not so much.
    So your saying CNN got details wrong?

Color me surprised...

Curious how this response differed from the corona response.... cuz it seems quite similar.

My JH cabbie gave me a long lecture about vitamin D3 mega dosing.
    And making your own lipid lecithin Coated vitamin C in a blender and ultrasonic machine.
    That way he takes 100,000 units of vitamin C without shitting himself.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Curious how this response differed from the corona response.... cuz it seems quite similar.
    So far what we've seen with the COVID-19 response is the CDC's inability to test suspected cases. We'll find out in the future after the inevitable investigations whether that's because so many competent people were forced out.

Either way, we do know local hospitals performed well by treating the few cases that we know about so far as if they were COVID-19 even though the CDC refused initial pleas to test, thereby limiting its spread. On the other hand Washington State declared a state of emergency over coronavirus because researchers think the virus may have been spreading there for weeks.

No matter what happens, even if this virus fizzles out in America, the idea that this is all a media hoax is nonsense. For example, NASA images show China's pollution drop-off amid dramatic slowdown. The story is real:

Name:  _111089470_wuhan_trop_2020056.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  57.4 KB
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 03-01-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    My JH cabbie gave me a long lecture about vitamin D3 mega dosing.
    And making your own lipid lecithin Coated vitamin C in a blender and ultrasonic machine.
    That way he takes 100,000 units of vitamin C without shitting himself.

Well, I guess all the trout downstream on the Snake are going to be dosed, too.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

So your saying CNN got details wrong?

Color me surprised...

no. CNN got it exactly right. YOU got it wrong.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    researchers think the virus may have been spreading there for weeks.

Makes ya wonder, how many got the corona and never knew and carried on and recovered just fine?
    I had my first cold in 2 years a few weeks ago .. it went away in a couple days. I heard in folks with otherwise healthy immune systems, symptoms are often so mild they are mistaken for a common cold.

Is everyone with a cold supposed to go get tested or what?
    How can you tell if it's common cold, common flu, bird flu, swine flu, or rat flu?

^i posted about that last night.

Wouldn’t that suggest the R0 rate is possibly way higher and the death rate much lower?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    no. CNN got it exactly right. YOU got it wrong.
    Interesting as I quoted the article.

Is this incorrect?

“Obama declares H1N1 emergency
    October 26, 2009 8:47 a.m. EDT”

“H1N1 flu pandemic began in April, millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died”

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Name:  _111089470_wuhan_trop_2020056.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  57.4 KB
    Thanks for the sharing this!

Silver lining ehh? Along with the reduced air travel....

^i posted about that last night.

Wouldn’t that suggest the R0 rate is possibly way higher and the death rate much lower?

Interesting as I quoted the article.

Is this incorrect?

“Obama declares H1N1 emergency
    October 26, 2009 8:47 a.m. EDT”

“H1N1 flu pandemic began in April, millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died”
    Quote:

“What he did in October was declare a national emergency as the new flu season started and the cases started to grow again. A Public Health Emergency and National Emergency are two different things. You, and an idiot, not so much.”
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Plenty of NO2 there now: https://www.windy.com/-Show---add-mo...98,5,m:ev8ajlE<-Wuhan dead center on the map

Don’t even know why I bother with you guys but from powdorks CDC link

“Early July
    Reported cases of 2009 H1N1 nearly doubled since mid-June 2009.”

“August 20
    Second wave of 2009 H1N1 influenza activity began in the U.S.”

“Late October
    Second wave of H1N1 flu activity peaked in the U.S.”

^that does not mesh with this below. In fact it’s quite the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Quote:

“What he did in October was declare a national emergency as the new flu season started and the cases started to grow again. A Public Health Emergency and National Emergency are two different things. You, and an idiot, not so much.”

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.39.26 AM.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	775.0 KB 
ID:	318228
    Simple way to stop Bernie. Primary Trump and nominate Bill Weld. Honestly as much as I would like to see a President Sanders, I would vote for Weld over Sanders and that's a promise. I already voted for Weld in the primary. I am all for giving the reasonable Republicans a chance to clean up their mess. Seriously. They broke it, there are some that can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Makes ya wonder, how many got the corona and never knew and carried on and recovered just fine?
    I had my first cold in 2 years a few weeks ago .. it went away in a couple days. I heard in folks with otherwise healthy immune systems, symptoms are often so mild they are mistaken for a common cold.

Is everyone with a cold supposed to go get tested or what?
    How can you tell if it's common cold, common flu, bird flu, swine flu, or rat flu?
    One of the things I learned from earlier in this thread is we are likely harboring viruses that haven't managed to get past our body's defenses. That's why stress, low cold & low humidity etc., or even vasoconstriction in the nose and throat 1) lowers the number of white blood cells in in the nasal epithelium, and 2) dries airways causing less mucus to be cleared giving a virus more time to take hold. In one study the effect increases a person's chances of getting sick by 20%.

The point being, it's not just the SARS-CoV-2 virus, most of the time we carry and recover just fine.

Regardless of severity, the actual nature of an outbreak is unpredictable. That's why public health surveillance, especially early on, is so important so that the health care system can respond rapidly. It's not about individuals asking to be tested in the face of common ailments, it's about surveillance and detection capabilities domestically and abroad. Weak systems struggle to tell the difference between common colds and novel diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Plenty of NO2 there now: https://www.windy.com/-Show---add-mo...98,5,m:ev8ajlE<-Wuhan dead center on the map
    The two charts have different scales and are in two different units. The NASA chart is 0-500 (micromoles per cubic meter), windy chart is 0-100 (micrograms per cubic meter).

Converting one to another is not hard but the main takeaway is pollution levels were more than five times higher a year ago than they are now.
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 03-01-2020 at 07:46 PM.

There was a woman in Georgia who didn't feel just right, she had the fever all day and the chills at night.