Page 1625 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 ... LastLast
Results 40,601 to 40,625 of 41810

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If there is a tiny tiny upside to covid maybe it will encourage more people to stay home when they're sick, even if it turns out to be something else.
    Not sure if she was following her own advice, but apparently, she's got it now. One month after her PR posting about receiving her booster. Idle curiosity about her home dynamic. Her husband is a pediatric oncologist. Does he isolate at home, give himself time to possibly incubate before potentially exposing vulnerable patients; does he just make sure he stays home from work if he feels bad and make sure he just washed his hands well; or something else?....

^^there's some sarcasm in there.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-22-2022 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Not sure if she was following her own advice, but apparently, she's got it now. One month after her PR posting about receiving her booster. Idle curiosity about her home dynamic. Her husband is a pediatric oncologist. Does he isolate at home, give himself time to possibly incubate before potentially exposing vulnerable patients; does he just make sure he stays home from work if he feels bad and make sure he just washed his hands well; or something else?....

^^there's some sarcasm in there.
    Glad I don't have to make that decision.

I'm jumping on four planes over the next couple weeks. Not excited but was less excited about the prospect of driving the gf to Savannah, GA again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I'm jumping on four planes over the next couple weeks. Not excited but was less excited about the prospect of driving the gf to Savannah, GA again.
    Flying to Savanah sucks. We changed planes 3 times and it took like 18 hrs to get there just to drive a few more to HHI.

We paid a little extra to get a non-red eye and only one short layover each way in Charlotte.

Alternative was red-eye, long layover in NJ.

I wish masking was still prevalent just to limit standard flu and cold germs but 24 hours in a car each way isn't plausible with the time we have available.
    Last edited by Rideski; 10-23-2022 at 11:01 AM.

If there is a tiny tiny upside to covid maybe it will encourage more people to stay home when they're sick, even if it turns out to be something else.
    I still have a mask handy when shopping or going places where exchanging used air with others in close proximity indoors for more than 2 minutes is a possibility.

When I see someone in a line or working the register wearing a mask I think of two likely scenarios.

They could be immune compromised..

They could be thinking they may be or have tested positive themselves.

Either way if I am going to stand close by and especially interact with them I pull my mask out and put it on. It's not that big of a sacrifice to protect them from me and me from them if there is any doubt...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Another study showing increased risk of fatal heart attacks during the pandemic. The increase was highest in the 25-40 age group. (The biggest percentage increase in heart attack deaths, not the highest number of heart attack deaths.)
    https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroo...heart-attacks/ (in lay terms)
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.28187 (in doctor talk)

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I still have a mask handy when shopping or going places where exchanging used air with others in close proximity indoors for more than 2 minutes is a possibility.

When I see someone in a line or working the register wearing a mask I think of two likely scenarios.

They could be immune compromised..

They could be thinking they may be or have tested positive themselves.

Either way if I am going to stand close by and especially interact with them I pull my mask out and put it on. It's not that big of a sacrifice to protect them from me and me from them if there is any doubt...
    You need a Narwall.

Just when you thought it was over! Get ready for another long winter. BQ.1, BQ.1.1, and XBB. Woohoo!

Not to mention all the other respiratory viruses, all of which are surging, and they're blaming the covid precautions being lifted. In the 2+ years of serious precautions we supposedly have lost what little resistance to these other viruses - looking for epidemiological/immunological comment on this. Seems like way too short a time for such a loss. Maybe in the very young, I suppose, which is indeed what seems to be happening with RSV.

My wife and I recently acquired some non-COVID sort of respiratory shit... I'd forgotten how miserable a "regular" cold could be.

Covid finally found me. Started feeling a bit meh last Tuesday; by Wednesday felt pretty crappy but tested negative. Positive test on Thursday. Wed thru Sat was the worst of it; sore throat like strep, body aches like the flu, pounding headache. Except for a lingering cough I feel fine now.
    Tested positive yesterday so still avoiding folks. Never did have a fever and only a little drop in my normal O2 numbers. I did find it interesting that for the stretch of days I felt like crap, my blood pressure dropped quite a bit. Average top number was down 18 points, bottom down 12.
    FWIW, I'm all vax'd up and relatively careful going out.

This! I tested positive (2nd time since Jan 22) yesterday but felt good enough to go to work. Pre covid I would have for sure. Unfortunately I did go in on Monday and gave it to our immune suppressed admin assistant. I had zero symptoms and only tested yesterday as one of my buddies who I spent the weekend with messaged me saying he tested positive early Tuesday.

I even went to the gym yesterday morning pre test and felt fine.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    My wife and I recently acquired some non-COVID sort of respiratory shit... I'd forgotten how miserable a "regular" cold could be.
    I have had 3 RT flights this month, and seem to have come down with the common crud after the last one. Constant drip, yuck.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have had 3 RT flights this month, and seem to have come down with the common crud after the last one. Constant drip, yuck.
    Update: not the common crud, came down with feverish chills tonight. Another covid test tomorrow, I guess.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Dang dude, good luck. Flew through some heavy storms and had the most turbulent flight of my entire life. Gf puked twice. I barely made it without. Both feeling healthy other than that so far. I succumbed to the peer pressure and didn't mask. By far the closest proximity to the most people for me since Feb 2020. Squicked me out for sure. If it wasn't for long covid possibility, I don't think I'd care anymore at this point.

Third booster shot last week. Felt like complete crap for a day, then fine. Crazy night sweats.

Update: not the common crud, came down with feverish chills tonight. Another covid test tomorrow, I guess.
    Booooooo!

If it wasn't for long covid possibility, I don't think I'd care anymore at this point.
    This is where I'm at. It's hard to care when literally nobody else does.

Story time: my idiot septuagenarian religious fanatic anti-vax neighbor finally got covid, after being extremely careful for the entire pandemic. She also claims to be hard of hearing, so she practically yells when talking. So do ya think she quarantined? Wore a mask? Social distanced from food delivery drivers and family members? Nope. When the shoe's on the other foot, she's just a selfish asshole. And she's not the only one by a long shot.

And.... positive rapid test this morning! Yay!

Am I supposed to do anything other than just sit at home being miserable?

Shit Danno, sorry to read that.

That sucks, man. ++vibes for an easy go of it.

And I think staying home being miserable is the recommendation.

I have found that a hot toddy or eight helped me get through the day. Get well soon.

If you want to follow the last CDC recs I think it was stay home 5 days then mask for the next 5 when out and about..

Hope you feel better soon.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I’m wondering if cdc will change its recs. The prez didn’t follow them. He followed the test to leave isolation approach.

The WH acknowledged yesterday, apparently for the first time, that covid is spread as an airborne aerosol. Wondering if there’s gonna be an additional overhaul of cdc covid policies.