Page 686 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 ... LastLast
Results 17,126 to 17,150 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Not in Europe, except maybe England or Great Britain.
    well you could say 2 meters

up here we were told to stay one moose length from each other
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    also, many of the larger tech companies - facebook, salesforce, apple etc were quite a ways ahead in the move to remote work.

a significant number (10s of thousands) of bay area techies were working from home and distancing well ahead of city and state-wide shutdowns.
    Curious as to the supporting evidence. What are you using as the start date for counting to shutdown (corporate and govt)

a significant number (10s of thousands) of bay area techies were working from home and distancing well ahead of city and state-wide shutdowns.
    Same story here. I believe Microsoft started WFH on March 5th and many other tech companies quickly followed suit. My company began WFH on the 6th.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

^^^not hard data, but the three Apple employees I know well were all working from home the first week of March. Google was in the same time frame. Not 100%, or even close to all, but every engineer who could work remotely went home well before the SiP order. The tech companies have a lot of smart folks working at them, saw what was happening and took action to keep their companies from being hotspots.

(Edit: thought I was below dweebased post)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Doing things for neighbors and friends is certainly important. Doing things outside is safer than inside. I just think we should do our best to take the same precautions with friends and family that doesn't live with you that one would take with a stranger. Remember that all those friends and family have other contacts who have other contacts and they've all been to the grocery store.
    Completely agree. Also agreeing that I’ve been a little more social these past ten days as opposed to the previous 30. Not a lot more, but I did have a beer on my deck about 10’ from a friend, and that was not a “need”.

OTOH, I’m now down to going to the store or market every 10-14 days. And I wear my mask every time I’m outside the home and within 10’ of someone or anywhere inside.

I know I’m reading as much as I can to determine what the new normal may be. I’m so tired of looking at computer screens.

And, as for the other stuff on this page. SF is no NYC. Not in any way what so ever. SF is a large town comparatively. I mean, it actually closes down at 2am. WTF kind of backwoods city does that?

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I've been wondering why a place like San Francisco, with similar density to NYC, hasn't seen the same virus trend if it's just a "density" thing. I'm not saying it is a population density thing alone, but one would think with the transit system in SF being similar to NY and the population density similar, if it's just those two factors (it's not) then SF would be similar to NYC.
    I think bad luck, some super spreaders in the right place, high population density

actualy America's per capita death rate is not as bad as most all the countries in Yurp

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Curious as to the supporting evidence. What are you using as the start date for counting to shutdown (corporate and govt)
    Man, I remember when you claimed to be a supergenius tech connected dude

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Not sure I’d say the transit system in SF is like NYC.
    what transit system in SF? all of the private tech buses because public trans is so piecemeal shitty?

also, many of the larger tech companies - facebook, salesforce, apple etc were quite a ways ahead in the move to remote work.

I think it must be 25years ago I first started calling country level HW support people working from home

I know an IBM (ISM) person up here, another guy is/was basically a rocket scientist, I know an apple guy lives out on the lake, people are doing it for the outdoor lifestyle/ much cheaper living/ get out of the ratrace cuz its almost the middle of nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    You mean 2 meters, you damn imperial?
    I think he would have said one link of chain

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Man, I remember when you claimed to be a supergenius tech connected dude
    Yup I like data to support feel good notions and in this case it doesn't. Unless we talk about IBM, Verizon and Att pulling out of RSA or the cancellation of MWC.

https://allianceforscience.cornell.e...WEwxq844DwxEPk

the top 10 Covid conspiracy theories

like so much reading in all this free time, sometimes hard to keep track of what was read and when

here's a couple articles dated march 10, referring to the previous week/days

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/co...ome-2020-03-05

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/tech/...rus/index.html

apple, google, msft, facebook, linkedin, amazon, twitter, hp

I recall reading some individual announcements earlier, but as of 3/10 it was getting larger scale reporting.

sf shelter in place 3/16?
    Newsom state-wide shelter in place order 3/19

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/cali...ned-curve.html
    On March 19, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a statewide shelter-in-place order to stem the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus. Washington State Gov. Jay Inslee followed four days later.

While they were moving aggressively relative to the rest of the country, the top employers in their states were weeks ahead of them.

Twitter was the first to move, strongly encouraging its nearly 5,000 employees to work from home on March 1, because of the rapidly spreading coronavirus, and making the order mandatory on March 11. Amazon told its roughly 50,000 Seattle-area employees on March 4 to work from home if they could. Facebook informed its Bay Area workers the next day that it was “strongly recommending” they work remotely. Over the next week, Google, Microsoft and Salesforce mostly emptied out, keeping about 200,000 people away from the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post

Ha-ha... but seriously folks.... in this instance, with this virus it's not about "giving people the freedom to make their own choices and experience the consequences of those choices" BECAUSE.... WAIT FOR IT..... their choices could kill others. But we all know that by now, right?

It's like drinking and driving - if only the drunk behind the wheel suffered the consequences of driving up onto the sidewalk full of people. Unfortunately not only are they not the only one effected by often they walk away while other innocents don't. This is why we have laws about driving while under the influence - to protect others.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Ha-ha... but seriously folks.... in this instance, with this virus it's not about "giving people the freedom to make their own choices and experience the consequences of those choices" BECAUSE.... WAIT FOR IT..... their choices could kill others. But we all know that by now, right?

It's like drinking and driving - if only the drunk behind the wheel suffered the consequences of driving up onto the sidewalk full of people. Unfortunately not only are they not the only one effected by often they walk away while other innocents don't. This is why we have laws about driving while under the influence - to protect others.
    Problem is, as repeeeeeetedly evinced, we're a nation of narcissists.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Doesn't really seem like it...

At the end of the day many people are selfish and self-centered.

Could you imagine the visceral reaction if we had a similar response to HIV in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Interesting observation. I’ve had more co tact with friends recently. I have two friends I ride with, each once per week.

I’ve had a few masked rides with my kid and a friend of his.

During both these types of activities, people are generally six feet apart.

I have a huge deck. Couple hundred square feet. I’ve had a beer with a friend twice back there. Sitting about ten feet apart.

I’ve also watched the neighbors 4 year old once and will do it again next week. His mom broke her elbow and went I for surgery and now PT.

Some of these represent a kissing of personal restrictions. The last is just being a neighbor. Even if my neighbor had family nearby, we would likely still take her kid in these times.

It is sometimes a fine line between keeping socially distant and not being too socially distant.
    My farrier was out on Tuesday. Neither of us wore a mask We were in an open barn and obviously pretty far apart while he was working on the horses. We were a little closer when working on the donkeys but that was done outside in a pasture. I'm pretty militant about my mask. Not sure why I didn't wear it except to say it's easy to slip into old habits with people you know well. Not making an excuse.

Had a vet out on an emergency call Saturday night (ugh) and we both wore masks the whole time but were working fairly close to each other having to hold the horse's head.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

It’s only the dregs of society getting sick, not regular folks.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...n-coronavirus/

Could you imagine the visceral reaction if we had a similar response to HIV in the 90's.
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, tilt. Why would we when HIV isn't transmitted like Covid? There was no need to socially distance for that disease. There are however laws that make it a crime to infect someone with HIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I have a huge dick .

thats what she said

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, tilt. Why would we when HIV isn't transmitted like Covid? There was no need to socially distance for that disease. There are however laws that make it a crime to infect someone with HIV.
    There are laws now (not then).

I'm talking about mandatory social distancing for the high-risk populations.

We could have stopped the spread of HIV in its tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well you could say 2 meters

up here we were told to stay one moose length from each other
    How do you decide who gets which end of the moose.

First of all SF has about half the population density of NYC and is much much smaller.

Second (non-bus) Transit in SF is mainly out to the suburbs while NYC remains dense for a dozen or so miles
    SF area is 46.9 sq mi
    NY area is 302.6 sq mi

Population of SF is 883,305 people
    Population of NY is 8,399,000 people

NYC pop density is 28K per sq mi
    SF pop density is 19K per sq mi

SF transit includes a lot of local stuff. Look at the muni and BART trains for examples and in the smaller SF area relative to NYC, it's similar. I'm not saying they're exactly the same, just that they are similar.

To others, I assume a lot of the difference has to do with having a head start relative to NYC on SD'ing. NYC got hit and everyone went "oh shit, shut it down"...thankfully.

the folks claiming it's a "city" disease seem to be oversimplifying is my point about comparing these population densities with decently widespread transit systems.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

There are laws now (not then).

I'm talking about mandatory social distancing for the high-risk populations.

We could have stopped the spread of HIV in its tracks.
    Yeah, you might not be familiar but it's called a condom.
    Move upside and let the man go through...