Page 31 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    watch out for snakes

Markets have the wuflu
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    OFFS that's from 8 Feb

Scary, but should I stop eating Chinese takeout?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Scary, but should I stop eating Chinese takeout?
    Yes, and no more
    Korean BBQ
    Lamb Kebabs
    Pizza, pasta
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Okay, rice and beans it is then! And vodka. I hear vodka kills the coronavirus.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

People in the Ukraine were drinking vodka after Chernobyl as a cure for radiation. True story. Although, in a lot of cases, that just meant pouring another one.

I thought this was interesting - one of my coworkers has a good friend that has been working in China for the last year. Back in early December, he and his sons were touring around remote parts of Vietnam and and learned they had closed their borders to the Chinese. Said they had military posted and wouldn't let anyone in. They then went to the Philippines before Christmas to tour around. If they had been coming from China, not Vietnam, they wouldn't have been let in the country. When he was about to return to China, the school told him to just come back to the US and work remotely, they were sending everyone home and closing everything down.

South Korea is not messing around. Their CDC has performed 33,000 tests +600/hr to find and isolate 800 people in their all-out, concerted response to the outbreak. In the US, however, only 4 of around 100 public health labs have working test kits after the CDC recalled initial kits due to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    I thought this was interesting - one of my coworkers has a good friend that has been working in China for the last year. Back in early December, he and his sons were touring around remote parts of Vietnam and and learned they had closed their borders to the Chinese. Said they had military posted and wouldn't let anyone in. They then went to the Philippines before Christmas to tour around. If they had been coming from China, not Vietnam, they wouldn't have been let in the country. When he was about to return to China, the school told him to just come back to the US and work remotely, they were sending everyone home and closing everything down.
    I have a friend in a similar boat. Was teaching art at an English language school in Shenzen. Went skiing in Japan for the lunar new year holiday. That break got extended so he went and sat on a beach in Thailand. Finally they told him to start teaching remotely so he bailed back to California. Kind of hard to teach art remotely though.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    South Korea is not messing around. Their CDC has performed 33,000 tests +600/hr to find and isolate 800 people in their all-out, concerted response to the outbreak. In the US, however, only 4 of around 100 public health labs have working test kits after the CDC recalled initial kits due to failure.
    We can still send to CDC but it is a longer TAT and the kit failures meant that planned surveillance on negative flu/RVP PCRs is not happening as planned AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with the coronavirus. In early December there were zero cases. Anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    That's why Iran has been the area of greatest concern for me. More deaths than S. Korea or Italy and almost no infections reported. Add to that a politician from Qom said the government is lying and there have already been 50 deaths. All of the countries surrounding Iran are reporting infections from travelers to iran.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with the coronavirus. In early December there were zero cases. Anywhere.
    I believe the implication is that this has been going on longer than it officially has. Seems dubious, but who knows.

where i come from in Vancover there are 3 waves of chinese imigrants, the mainland being the latest

the first 2 waves ( Cantonese & Hong kong ) don't trust the mainland chinese

No rule of law in a totalitarian system who can blame them for not playing cricket I supose ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

the first announcement came on 12/31. It's likely the outbreak had started several weeks before that but no way anyone would have closed borders because of it in early December.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ted&yptr=yahoo

The disease (known as COVID-19) seems to have a fatality rate of less than 2 percent—exponentially lower than most outbreaks that make global news. The virus has raised alarm not despite that low fatality rate, but because of it.

Coronaviruses are similar to influenza viruses in that they are both single strands of RNA. Four coronaviruses commonly infect humans, causing colds. These are believed to have evolved in humans to maximize their own spread—which means sickening, but not killing, people. By contrast, the two prior novel coronavirus outbreaks—SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome, named for where the first outbreak occurred)—were picked up from animals, as was H5N1. These diseases were highly fatal to humans. If there were mild or asymptomatic cases, they were extremely few. Had there been more of them, the disease would have spread widely. Ultimately, SARS and MERS each killed fewer than 1,000 people.

COVID-19 is already reported to have killed more than twice that number. With its potent mix of characteristics, this virus is unlike most that capture popular attention: It is deadly, but not too deadly. It makes people sick, but not in predictable, uniquely identifiable ways. Last week, 14 Americans tested positive on a cruise ship in Japan despite feeling fine—the new virus may be most dangerous because, it seems, it may sometimes cause no symptoms at all.

Read: The new coronavirus is a truly modern epidemic

The world has responded with unprecedented speed and mobilization of resources. The new virus was identified extremely quickly. Its genome was sequenced by Chinese scientists and shared around the world within weeks. The global scientific community has shared genomic and clinical data at unprecedented rates. Work on a vaccine is well under way. The Chinese government enacted dramatic containment measures, and the World Health Organization declared an emergency of international concern. All of this happened in a fraction of the time it took to even identify H5N1 in 1997. And yet the outbreak continues to spread.

The Harvard epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch is exacting in his diction, even for an epidemiologist. Twice in our conversation he started to say something, then paused and said, “Actually, let me start again.” So it’s striking when one of the points he wanted to get exactly right was this: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.”

Containment is the first step in responding to any outbreak. In the case of COVID-19, the possibility (however implausible) of preventing a pandemic seemed to play out in a matter of days. Starting in January, China began cordoning off progressively larger areas, radiating outward from Wuhan City and eventually encapsulating some 100 million people. People were barred from leaving home, and lectured by drones if they were caught outside. Nonetheless, the virus has now been found in 24 countries.

Despite the apparent ineffectiveness of such measures—relative to their inordinate social and economic cost, at least—the crackdown continues to escalate. Under political pressure to “stop” the virus, last Thursday the Chinese government announced that officials in the Hubei province would be going door to door, testing people for fevers and looking for signs of illness, then sending all potential cases to quarantine camps. But even with the ideal containment, the virus’s spread may have been inevitable. Testing people who are already extremely sick is an imperfect strategy if people can spread the virus without even feeling bad enough to stay home from work.

Lipsitch predicts that, within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said. As with influenza, which is often life-threatening to people with chronic health conditions and of older age, most cases pass without medical care. (Overall, around 14 percent of people with influenza have no symptoms.)
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

1918/1919 H1N1 paninfluenza had a CFR of ~2.5%

It also infected 40% of the world.

COVID is more contagious. It could kill 1% of the world.

The world has a whole lot more old people alive today, which will skew numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The world has a whole lot more old people alive today, which will skew numbers.
    the 1918 flu preferentially killed young men.

This one is hitting old men right now.

Goodbye, Japan.

Epic Ski would have been devestated had they hung around a few more years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

^^^^ I had to laugh and as an old fuck with a history of asthma I may be fucked. Headed to Yurp in 4 weeks and plan to be in Tuscany/ Florence.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Stay away from Florence, if you can. Alcohol is killing this thing, carry a bottle with wipes.