Page 904 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... LastLast
Results 22,576 to 22,600 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I saw the story in mainstream French media and didn’t see anything implied CS. https://www.google.com/amp/s/actu.fr...87964.html/amp

What are you on about?
    In France there are over 100 zones where the police is not allowed to go. Mostly Muslim North Africans, gangs. There is no justice there at all.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

^^^ Really now. Talk is cheap, got anything to back that up?

Not saying you are wrong but.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-go_area

Historical no-go areas
    Northern Ireland
    Free Derry Corner, the gable wall which once marked the entrance to Free Derry

During the Troubles, the term was applied to urban areas in Northern Ireland where the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) and British Army could not operate openly.[14] Between 1969 and 1972, Irish nationalist/republican neighborhoods in Belfast and Derry were sealed off with barricades by residents. The areas were policed by vigilantes and both Official and Provisional factions of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) operated openly.[15] The most notable no-go area was called Free Derry.

The areas' existence was a challenge to the authority of the British government. On 31 July 1972, the British Army demolished the barricades and re-established control in Operation Motorman.[16][17] It was the biggest British military operation since the Suez Crisis.[18] Although the areas were no longer barricaded, they remained areas where the British security forces found it difficult to operate and were regularly attacked.[14] As a result, they entered only in armored convoys and in certain circumstances, such as to launch house raids.[19] Police presence in these areas remained contentious into the 2000s and the main republican political party, Sinn Féin, refused to support the police. In 2007, however, the party voted to support the new Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI).
    Pakistan

The Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) were in actuality no-go areas for the Pakistani authorities, where the Pakistani police could not enter. The situation was changed temporarily with the United States invasion of Afghanistan in 2001, when the Pakistani government was supported by U.S. military forces. Currently FATA is no more a "no-go area" as it has been merged with the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.[20]

Venezuela

"Peace zones", seen in red, which were planned to receive economic benefits to be given to former gang members who agreed to surrender their weapons to the government and cease their criminal activity.

In 2013, the Venezuelan government negotiated with large criminal gangs on how to prevent violence and agreed to set up demilitarized areas as "peace zones". The concept behind the zones was to provide gang members with economic resources and construction materials in exchange for the surrender of the gang's weapons, with the understanding that the resources would be used to repair local infrastructure. The Venezuelan government hoped that through this process, gang members would disarm and become law-abiding and productive members of society. In addition, the then-deputy Minister of the Interior reportedly agreed verbally to avoid police patrols within the zones, should the gangs agree to disarm. The plan backfired as the gang members used the money and resources given to them by the government in exchange for their weapons to acquire more powerful weapons and began committing yet more crimes and violence within the zones.[23] According to InSight Crime, there are over a dozen mega-gangs in Venezuela, with some having up to 300 members.

Alleged contemporary no-go areas
    Belgium

In the wake of the 2015 Paris attacks, the Molenbeek municipality in Brussels was described in many media reports as a "no-go area", where gang violence and Islamic fundamentalism had fed on Molenbeek's marginalisation, despair and resentment of authority.[24] In 2015 Belgium's home affairs minister said that the government did not "have control of the situation in Molenbeek" and that terrorists' links to this district were a "gigantic problem".[25] Other academics, commentators, journalists and residents have contested the description of Molenbeek as a no-go zone.[26][27][28]
    Brazil

Some slum areas (known as favelas) in Brazil, most notably in Rio de Janeiro State, are controlled by gangs with automatic weapons.[29][30] Police and investigative reporters have been tortured and killed there, such as Tim Lopes in 2002.[31] Attempts at clearing up such areas have led to security crises in Rio[32] as well as in the State of São Paulo.[33] These organized crime organizations are known in Brazil as "Factions" (Facções in Portuguese), the two largest are the PCC (Primeiro Comando da Capital) or "First Command of the Capital" in English from São Paulo, and the Comando Vermelho (CV), "Red Command" in English, a faction from the Rio de Janeiro.[34]

France
    Further information: Sensitive urban zone

It has been falsely claimed that France has Muslim-only no-go zones that are under sharia law.[35][36][37]

An early usage of the term regarding Europe was in a 2002 opinion piece by David Ignatius in The New York Times, where he wrote about France, "Arab gangs regularly vandalize synagogues here, the North African suburbs have become no-go zones at night, and the French continue to shrug their shoulders." Ignatius said the violence resulting in the no-go zone had come about due to inequality and racism directed towards French people of colour.[38] La Courneuve, a poverty-stricken municipality (commune) in the Paris region whose residents felt the authorities had neglected them due to racism - was described by police as a no-go zone for officers without reinforcements.[39]

In 2010, Raphaël Stainville of French newspaper Le Figaro called certain neighborhoods of the southern city Perpignan "veritable lawless zones", saying they had become too dangerous to travel in at night. He added that the same was true in parts of Béziers and Nîmes.[40] In 2012, Gilles Demailly [fr], the mayor of the French city Amiens, in the wake of several riots, called the northern part of his city a lawless zone, where one could no longer order a pizza or call for a doctor. The head of a local association said institutional violence had contributed to the tensions resulting in the no-go zone.[41] In 2014, Fabrice Balanche, a scholar of the Middle East, labelled the northern city of Roubaix, as well as parts of Marseille, "mini-Islamic states", saying that the authority of the state is completely absent there.[42] In 2005 France's domestic intelligence network, the Renseignements Generaux, identified 150 "no-go zones" around the country where police would not enter without reinforcements. Christopher Dickey, writing in Newsweek, said the situation had arisen due to racism towards immigrants.[43] The New Republic said no-go zones had developed in France due to a failure to integrate immigrants from France's former colonies, claiming the country had not allowed people of colour to share in the 'blessings of liberty, equality and fraternity'.[44]

In January 2015, after the Charlie Hebdo shooting in Paris, various American media, including the news cable channels Fox News and CNN, described the existence of no-go zones across Europe and in France in particular.[45][46] Both networks were criticized for these statements,[47] and anchors on both networks later apologized for the mistaken characterizations.[48][49][50][51] The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, said that she intended to sue Fox News for its statements.[52][needs update]

In 2016 Sevran, a Paris commune near Charles de Gaulle airport, in which the origins of the majority of the residents are from outside France and claimed by journalist David Chazan to be a predominantly Muslim area, was alleged by women's rights campaigners to be a no-go zone for women, where women are unofficially banned from public spaces by men. Others, including other women's rights campaigners, disputed this.[53]

Germany

A sociology paper published in 2009 said that right-wing extremists had been discussing the creation of no-go areas in Western Europe since the 1980s.[54] It described attempts to create "national liberated zones" (national befreite Zonen) in Germany: "'no-go-areas', which are areas dominated by neo-Nazis,"[55] attributing their appeal in the former DDR to "the unmet promises of modernisation and the poor socio-cultural conditions that offer no perspectives to young people".[56] Whether or not Germany actually had no-go zones was disputed: the paper concluded "according to ... state officials, the police and other relevant institutions, [the phenomenon of no-go zones] does not actually exist ... by contrast, the national press in Germany, various civic associations, and also experts acknowledge and give examples of the existence of no-go areas."[57]

In a February 2018 interview, German Chancellor Angela Merkel stated that there are no-go areas in Germany, saying, "There are such areas and one has to call them by their name and do something about them."[58] This came in the context of arguing for a zero-tolerance policy in German policing.[59]

United States

Some American political figures, including Tony Perkins and Jim Newberger, have falsely claimed that some communities within the United States are either governed by Sharia law[70][71] or are Muslim-controlled no-go zones.[72][73][37]

In June 2020, the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone was established as a "No Cop Co-op."[74]
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    so....if a successful person who was a "mature, responsible, kind, intelligent adult" were to say: "I believe my parents doing x, y & z when they brought me up is directly responsible for who I am and the gains I have made" it would be dismissed as potential good parenting advice because that person has no children.

Worked for my grandparents, parents and aunts & uncles and more of my friend's parents than not.

Maybe some of the responsibility lies with the individuals. People can give you advice but it's up to you to decide what to do with it, no?
    IMO, being a parent through this situation is pretty unique and would be hard to understand for someone without kids. Balancing work, teaching kids, having fun with kids, and not getting shit canned from work is actually hard at times. My wife has been taking the brunt of the teaching duties to the detriment of her business. I'm the main breadwinner so it makes most sense for me to keep on top of work as much as possible. We're lucky to be able to do this. Families dependent on dual incomes have to be struggling to keep up with work.

School shouldn't be childcare, but like it or not it is for many. Why do you think so many people refer to taking their little ones, younger than primary school age, to "school" when it's truly a daycare facility?

Anyhow, it's a hard situation, so I think people without kids opining about how best to handle the situation, while welcomed, may not be the most informed.

My buddy Jay that I've mentioned a few times on USA today. 100 days later, he still isn't back in Crested Butte, 9500' just isn't working for him. https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news...rm/5412888002/

Divorced, no kids. Jackpot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    IMO, being a parent through this situation is pretty unique and would be hard to understand for someone without kids. Balancing work, teaching kids, having fun with kids, and not getting shit canned from work is actually hard at times. My wife has been taking the brunt of the teaching duties to the detriment of her business. I'm the main breadwinner so it makes most sense for me to keep on top of work as much as possible. We're lucky to be able to do this. Families dependent on dual incomes have to be struggling to keep up with work.

School shouldn't be childcare, but like it or not it is for many. Why do you think so many people refer to taking their little ones, younger than primary school age, to "school" when it's truly a daycare facility?

Anyhow, it's a hard situation, so I think people without kids opining about how best to handle the situation, while welcomed, may not be the most informed.
    Today’s parents in the age of corona truly are exceptional. Two daughters fwiw, 18 and 21.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    The most capable of giving parenting advice are actual parents whose kids are now mature, responsible, kind, intelligent adults.
    Being one of those people now, my thoughts about receiving parenting advice for those without kids depends an awful lot on delivery.

Much of it comes off as sounding awfully self righteous. It is also often delivered in the heat of some parenting moment that is already fraught with challenges, overwhelming, and non-parents really have no idea what it feels like to be in that and many other moments of parenting, or the frustrations inherent to those situations.

There's nothing wrong with that of course, but if you are a non parent considering tossing out some unsolicited advice to a parent about childrearing, please choose your timing and language very carefully. Maybe even wait until you're asked. Which you probably won't be. The idea of a kidless advisor saying "this was my experience and I appreciated it" is fine, but delivered inappropriately or at the wrong moment can feel like a personal swipe.

Most of the time I didn't have a clue what to do when things got tough. I suspect this is not uncommon, and when you're feeling that way and someone offers advice - no matter how well intentioned - the first response is "WTF do you know about what is happening here"?

I wanted so badly to do it right and sometimes no matter how hard I worked, I didn't. My partner was rarely on the same page which was only part of our issues, I was an only child so the way my three sometimes interacted was pure torturous mystery, I was trying to be in four places at once most of the time and support an expensive family unit. So there was a LOT going on on the inside that wasn't visible to an outside observer who might have been tempted to 'help' me. Remember that if you're thinking of giving someone advice.

Parenting has been the hardest and best thing that ever happened to me and I fucked up a lot, and did some things right. The level of gratitude I have for how my Thingz turned out so far is immeasurable. While I've had some good help in the last few years that gave me tools I didn't have early on, the best advice I got wasn't actually advice. The best advice I got was to learn new skills and trust myself to use them in spite of whatever advice anyone offered,
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

My father has been a teacher in a public school system for 31 years, with 8 years in a private school before that. He's taught middle and high schoolers his entire career. He's an athletic coach Fall, Winter, and Spring as well. He is past the necessary years to collect retirement from the state system and could theoretically retire. He also has over 270 accrued sick days, which he will be unable to cash-out or convert upon retirement. He lives and works in a traditionally red state in the middle of fly-over country, but teaches in a uniquely diverse student population given the geography. He is a parent to two children (grown) and a grandparent to three (all elementary age).

I had a long talk with him about the upcoming school year. He is quite torn. He loves teaching. One of those teachers you just gravitated towards in school because they made real connections with their students, cared about them, and made learning fun. He and a few of his colleagues with 30+ years in the school have been trying to figure out what to do with the upcoming school year. All of them are in similar situations...older (60+), enough vacation days to use for 2+ entire school years, and a true passion for teaching. Some of them are even "retired", but teach a handful of classes per day. He doesn't want to leave his students out to dry with a permanent sub or retire with such short notice leaving his principal/superintendents with a big vacancy, but he is also at risk. He has asthma, is recovering from back surgery, and is over 60 years old. He is taking very serious precautions to keep from contracting COVID.

The teacher's "union" in his state is basically non-existent and has no real collective bargaining power, so they are left with no real say in how/when the school districts will open and are left to follow whatever order is passed down from the legislature/governor/etc. He is open to teaching online and took to it quickly for an old man in the spring, but like many have said, in-person teaching is so much more effective. Not to mention somewhere between 20-30% of his students don't have daily access to a computer or even the internet.

The high school he teaches in has ~1,000 students and they have 5 periods per day. +teachers, administrators, other staff. Tell me how that many people, especially 14-18-year-olds, are supposed to navigate through an 8 hr day indoors and not spread COVID around? Then, say you have 6 or 7 teachers are out sick with COVID/quarantining because of an exposure...who is willingly stepping into that environment to sub? Where will the funds for extra precautions/cleaning sanitation come from? In an already poor school district? Is my father expected to suit up and tough it out because...that's what teachers do? That's what they have always done? He has sacrificed a lot for his students throughout the years, but contracting COVID? Some might say "just retire...that easy", but there are many teachers who are not in such a position and are still fearful of contracting/spreading this virus to/from their loved ones.

I don't have any answers and I don't have children. I'm just looking to continue the conversation.
    Last edited by gnarbro365; 07-12-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling/grammar

I'll talk to the nanny about parenting when I see the kids at the next charity event. Maybe she'll know how this works. But if it's really urgent I can get a Heli ride to the east wing where the kids facilities are and have a chat right now.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post

again... I was speaking to how schools might be opened or kids might be given credit for projects done while at home and that I thought kids would come through this "unprecedented" time without having their educational lives changed for the worse.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

KQ, you're correct in your assumptions but the reality is you are correct for only 50% of the population. Elem student with single working mom making 50k is as common
    a scenario as two WFH parents making 250.

Edit to say my numbers came from my gut and represent a scale of the problem as a whole.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    My father has been a teacher in a public school system for 31 years, with 8 years in a private school before that. He's taught middle and high schoolers his entire career. He's an athletic coach Fall, Winter, and Spring as well. He is past the necessary years to collect retirement from the state system and could theoretically retire. He also has over 270 accrued sick days, which he will be unable to cash-out or convert upon retirement. He lives and works in a traditionally red state in the middle of fly-over country, but teaches in a uniquely diverse student population given the geography. He is a parent to two children (grown) and a grandparent to three (all elementary age).

I had a long talk with him about the upcoming school year. He is quite torn. He loves teaching. One of those teachers you just gravitated towards in school because they made real connections with their students, cared about them, and made learning fun. He and a few of his colleagues with 30+ years in the school have been trying to figure out what to do with the upcoming school year. All of them are in similar situations...older (60+), enough vacation days to use for 2+ entire school years, and a true passion for teaching. Some of them are even "retired", but teach a handful of classes per day. He doesn't want to leave his students out to dry with a permanent sub or retire with such short notice leaving his principal/superintendents with a big vacancy, but he is also at risk. He has asthma, is recovering from back surgery, and is over 60 years old. He is taking very serious precautions to keep from contracting COVID.

The teacher's "union" in his state is basically non-existent and has no real collective bargaining power, so they are left with no real say in how/when the school districts will open and are left to follow whatever order is passed down from the legislature/governor/etc. He is open to teaching online and took to it quickly for an old man in the spring, but like many have said, in-person teaching is so much more effective. Not to mention somewhere between 20-30% of his students don't have daily access to a computer or even the internet.

The high school he teaches in has ~1,000 students and they have 5 periods per day. +teachers, administrators, other staff. Tell me how that many people, especially 14-18-year-olds, are supposed to navigate through an 8 hr day indoors and not spread COVID around? Then, say you have 6 or 7 teachers are out sick with COVID/quarantining because of an exposure...who is willingly stepping into that environment to sub? Where will the funds for extra precautions/cleaning sanitation come from? In an already poor school district? Is my father expected to suit up and tough it out because...that's what teachers do? That's what they have always done? He has sacrificed a lot for his students throughout the years, but contracting COVID? Some might say "just retire...that easy", but there are many teachers who are not in such a position and are still fearful of contracting/spreading this virus to/from their loved ones.

I don't have any answers and I don't have children. I'm just looking to continue the conversation.
    Thank you...nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    In France there are over 100 zones where the police is not allowed to go. Mostly Muslim North Africans, gangs. There is no justice there at all.

Oh bull fucking shit. This RT trump fucktard fever dream was debunked long ago.

Who was that guy that invented a bunch of stuff while Cambridge was shut down due to the Great Plague?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Who was that guy that invented a bunch of stuff while Cambridge was shut down due to the Great Plague?
    Forget, wuz it the guy who invented gravity by sitting under an apple tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Forget, wuz it the guy who invented gravity by sitting under an apple tree?
    talk about an easy A! practiacally fell into his lap.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Which falls faster, a pound of apples or a pound of lead?

Bear river high school, in south Nevada County, still needs to replace their tenured teacher who was also head coach of the BB team. Died of COVID in past spring.

A problem that I continue to observe, especially with parents who are more busy than ever, is that peeps are not able to keep up with new information. They are basing their decisions and behaviors on information from March, plus they are exhausted and letting down their guard. This is a messaging problem from our various levels of government.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Which falls faster, a pound of apples or a pound of lead?
    Depends on muzzle velocity and angle
    . . .

Best solution is just to take a year off. If he is forced to "retire", then, well, "retire", fill out the paperwork, even collect benefits, but I'll bet a hundred bucks that, if he loves teaching so much, he'll be welcomed back to maybe not that system, but some other, with welcome arms, because good teachers are hard to find, especially at that pay grade. Just sign back up part time, for the money and enjoyment. He's already paid his dues saving up sick and vacation and pension credits. Everything else is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    This old guy did the mr. mom thing 100%. Wasn't the plan coming out of the gate but it quickly became obvious that it had to be that way, somebody had to raise them. It was pretty weird for my kids in some ways no doubt but they thrived and now in their mid-20s they're pretty great in my opinion.

I did other stuff at the same time but the kids were job 1 for sure. I've kinda thought about writing a book about it, it was 25 years ago when I started doing it, I've got a lot more experience with it than most.
    Good on ya, that's impressive. I would like to read the chapter 'Explaining The Bloody Maul in the Garage'

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Oh bull fucking shit. This RT trump fucktard fever dream was debunked long ago.
    Wait, not sure what you're saying.
    I'm in France and there are police no go zones.

It's clear that school in person is a bad idea this fall (and probably the spring) for everyone. Infection rates are going up, and schools open in about 45 days. A full shutdown tomorrow won't be enough to get rates down to acceptable. Childcare places in Utah has had 16 (whoops another reported today, it's 17) outbreaks since June 1st, I'm sure there will be hundreds of outbreaks in schools if they are open. Then they will close, then open, then close....

I don't really see a debate needed on what's going to happen. As always, hope I'm wrong. College kids are wasting money and time if this clears up with a vaccine or better treatment next year. other kids are just gonna go at it online. It sucks but it won't be forever.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    again... I was speaking to how schools might be opened or kids might be given credit for projects done while at home and that I thought kids would come through this "unprecedented" time without having their educational lives changed for the worse.
    Sorry, not trying to insinuate anything negative...just giving perspective...and maybe I should take my advice and only do so when asked....but here goes again...

We're going to home school....for safety and then to also reduce the number of kids at school so the parents with no choice have a slightly easier go of it. Also figure less kids will be safer for the teachers.

Hopefully a vaccine is ready after a quarter or two of school and enough parents will do it so we can return to some normalcy. I'd be nervous if I was a teacher.