Page 1231 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 ... LastLast
Results 30,751 to 30,775 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Uh, lots of people are getting the flu vaccine this year, just like every year. It’s required at the hospital I work at. We don’t really develop “herd immunity” to influenza, that’s why they have a new vaccination every year. You and your family should get vaccinated because you are likely not wearing masks properly or at all.

I think the real problem is that you think too much and don’t listen enough.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    O rly? I didn't just make this up:
    https://www.bcbs.com/press-releases/...d-vaccinations

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

my dog smooches me on the face every day.
    That's my immune system workout.

I think that moving forward, the science that has been funded and developed around the mRNA vaccine is pretty exciting and could help with many other vaccines in the near future. That's something to look forward to.

Yep, Flu is one of those things we never really build long lasting immunities too. Part of the vaccination effort is to prevent it from spreading in a meaningful way, as flu numbers rarely get out of control (key note that what a lot of people call "flu" is not flu).
    Will we have slightly reduced immunity to a variety of low level colds - maybe? We also won't have vulnerable populations catching and dying of them.
    The concept that we'd lose enough immunity to things to be a more material risk than COVID-19 and its ilk is not well grounded. It's kind of like saying it's bad for us to eat food that's been cleansed of ecoli, salmonella and the like. If given the choice - would you choose to get colds or choose to never get one again?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    O rly? I didn't just make this up:
    https://www.bcbs.com/press-releases/...d-vaccinations

Oh, re read what you posted and I quoted. You posted about the flu and that’s what I quoted and responded to.

Read my second paragraph also. It’s relevant in this context.

If people are foregoing routine vaccinations for their children that provide lifelong or long term immunity then that’s a shame. Two different issues though. I know this is a lot of information and it may be confusing.

Austin - you should go to your local hospital and lick all the doorknobs. You know, to toughen up your immune system

Better go catch hepatitis, your immune system needs a good workout!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

The immune system doesn't require regular "workouts". We won't lose our immunity to measles and polio because we haven't been exposed to anything for a year. The problem with flu is that it mutates constantly so whatever immunity we have built up doesn't help with the next year's flu, whether or not our immune system is being exposed to pathogens. So no, avoiding the covid won't make us more vulnerable to flu or other infections next year.

(It's not a stupid question.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The immune system doesn't require regular "workouts". We won't lose our immunity to measles and polio because we haven't been exposed to anything for a year. The problem with flu is that it mutates constantly so whatever immunity we have built up doesn't help with the next year's flu, whether or not our immune system is being exposed to pathogens. So no, avoiding the covid won't make us more vulnerable to flu or other infections next year.

(It's not a stupid question.)
    Thank you, OG. That's what I was looking for. What about bacterial infections? Any chance our over-sterilization of everything could cause an increase in things like MRSA?

And thank you for being respectful. I was asking a serious question. No snark for once.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Believe it or not, where I live there has been a real spike in driving with no license plates, no trailer lights, super bright illegal headlights...etc. really just any pain in the ass thing where a redneck would say “fuck it I ain’t doin that no more”. The police are doing nothing.
    I can’t even imagine the amount of uninsured motorists right now...they’re just letting people drive around with no license plate at all...what country-fried q-anon porkchop is going to write a $2000 check for car insurance?

This is the fall of our brief empire.
    Dee Snyder must be fucking pissed....

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Yep, Flu is one of those things we never really build long lasting immunities too. Part of the vaccination effort is to prevent it from spreading in a meaningful way, as flu numbers rarely get out of control (key note that what a lot of people call "flu" is not flu).
    Will we have slightly reduced immunity to a variety of low level colds - maybe? We also won't have vulnerable populations catching and dying of them.
    The concept that we'd lose enough immunity to things to be a more material risk than COVID-19 and its ilk is not well grounded. It's kind of like saying it's bad for us to eat food that's been cleansed of ecoli, salmonella and the like. If given the choice - would you choose to get colds or choose to never get one again?
    Good points. Yeah. The food example is a fair one.

This is interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/24/w...gtype=Homepage

I think all the NY Times' stuff on COVID is kept outside the paywall, but here's the gist of it:
    Evidence Builds That an Early Mutation Made the Pandemic Harder to Stop
    As the coronavirus swept across the world, it picked up random alterations to its genetic sequence. Like meaningless typos in a script, most of those mutations made no difference in how the virus behaved.

But one mutation near the beginning of the pandemic did make a difference, multiple new findings suggest, helping the virus spread more easily from person to person and making the pandemic harder to stop.

The mutation, known as 614G, was first spotted in eastern China in January and then spread quickly throughout Europe and New York City. Within months, the variant took over much of the world, displacing other variants.

For months, scientists have been fiercely debating why. Researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory argued in May that the variant had probably evolved the ability to infect people more efficiently. Many were skeptical, arguing that the variant may have been simply lucky, appearing more often by chance in large epidemics, like Northern Italy’s, that seeded outbreaks elsewhere.

But a host of new research — including close genetic analysis of outbreaks and lab work with hamsters and human lung tissue — has supported the view that the mutated virus did in fact have a distinct advantage, infecting people more easily than the original variant detected in Wuhan, China.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Restaurant workers protest in Breck:
    https://www.summitdaily.com/news/ser...e-main-street/
    Wow, there's a revolution brewing! Fight the power!

Wow, there's a revolution brewing! Fight the power!
    With the person in the photo not wearing her mask properly...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Austin - you should go to your local hospital and lick all the doorknobs. You know, to toughen up your immune system
    No fuck that, he should go volunteer at his local hospital, I am sure they could use any and all help available....I am so sick of this shit. Put up or shut up, Austin.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I have nothing of value to add this morning other than to point out that this is page 1234.

Thank you, OG. That's what I was looking for. What about bacterial infections? Any chance our over-sterilization of everything could cause an increase in things like MRSA?
    Nope.
    Covid is good for MRSA. It's usually spread from patient to patient by doctors and nurses not washing hands. With everyone washing, wearing gloves and isolation gowns I expect there will be a lot less MRSA, vancomycin resistant enterococcus, claustridium dificile and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Restaurant workers protest in Breck:
    https://www.summitdaily.com/news/ser...e-main-street/
    How do they not understand the difference between Home Depot with a mask, and restaurant with no mask?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    my dog smooches me on the face every day.
    That's my immune system workout.
    I assume he smooches you after he licks his ass.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

‘We’re drowning’

https://t.co/1EfYbYq23t?amp=1

Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Overuse of antibiotics causes MRSA (and other antibiotic-resistant bacteria), not sterilization of people and objects with alcohol, bleach or UV. The Hygiene Hypothesis has merit in appropriate contexts, but COVID isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Dee Snyder must be fucking pissed....
    That is from about a month or more ago I think and yes, Dee was pissed

Dee Snider Doesn't Want Anti-Maskers Singing 'We're Not Gonna Take It'

Twisted Sister Dee Snider singer tells anti-maskers not to use song for 'moronic cause' Protesters ripped off their masks to the band's "We're Not Gonna Take It" in a Target store. Twisted Sister singer, Dee Snider, condemned anti-maskers using one of the band's hits while ripping off their face masks.Sep 18, 2020
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    How do they not understand the difference between Home Depot with a mask, and restaurant with no mask?
    I have empathy for most of these people. The US government isn't supporting them as much as we should and times are going to be hard and hit them disproportionality. So much fail at the federal level - surreal. However, the one guy who is like "the town won't exist anymore!" needs a reality check. Breck and all of its valuable real-estate and entrenched money ain't going anywhere. After the inevitable attrition and backfill, the next crop of poorly valued labor will begin the cycle again as the wealthy and tourists go "next!".

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I assume he smooches you after he licks his ass.
    He licks his ass before he eats rabbit shit in the yard before he smooches his ol papa. I have the immune system of a sewer rat.