Page 1378 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 ... LastLast
Results 34,426 to 34,450 of 41810
    Since I contributed to the border discussion... to be clear, I think we're too weak-willed to do anything. But, closing international travel would do a lot to reduce spread of new variants. Recall the first variants came with business and leisure travelers returning from Europe and Asia.

And that's a good part of the reason it's hard to establish a travel quarantine. If only Covid would check for low bank balances before spreading, it'd be much easier to place travel restrictions. If the wealthier people "leaders" could make pandemic control decisions without impacting their own lives, the pandemic would have ended last May.

For general pandemic control, we've seen the various states have rapid case growth and rapid case declines at different times with open interstate travel. While I think travel restrictions help with pandemic containment, it's clear we can make dramatic progress without a travel quarantine. I'm in the get rid of covid fast camp, so favor all solutions cheaper than say $1 trillion (including travel and border and spring break restrictions).

Variants don't have to come from abroad. The same variants found abroad can be home grown domestically as well. Recent Radiolab episode on old dude from UK who started with the original strain and then his body started growing all the various variants found throughout the world. The original virus mutated to at least 10 different variants inside his body, with each new variant out competing the last to become the dominant variant in his body:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts...d-crystal-ball

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Variants don't have to come from abroad. The same variants found abroad can be home grown domestically as well. Recent Radiolab episode on old dude from UK who started with the original strain and then his body started growing all the various variants found throughout the world. The original virus mutated to at least 10 different variants inside his body, with each new variant out competing the last to become the dominant variant in his body:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts...d-crystal-ball
    Interesting podcast. So, drive cases really low to limit the chance Covid finds an immunocompromised test lab (human). And limit spread so if it does, the variant can't travel. Too hard, let's have a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Interesting podcast. So, drive cases really low to limit the chance Covid finds an immunocompromised test lab (human). And limit spread so if it does, the variant can't travel. Too hard, let's have a beer.
    We can drive cases low, limit spread, and still have a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We can drive cases low, limit spread, and still have a beer.
    I'm in.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    I'm in.
    Just not together, alas.

A friend sent me this. Interesting to see the COVID numbers between WA and AZ who had significantly different responses to the pandemic..

Maybe masks, social distancing work, and government regulation work? Probably just the liberals inflating the numbers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nwags41 View Post

A friend sent me this. Interesting to see the COVID numbers between WA and AZ who had significantly different responses to the pandemic..

Maybe masks, social distancing work, and government regulation work? Probably just the liberals inflating the numbers..

Or... wait for it... significantly disproportionate elderly population. Just sayin'.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Arizona's median age is 37.9 vs 37.7 for WA. 36 in US vs 38 respectively. Lots of Mormons in AZ and Mormons make a state's average age young (Utah is the youngest by a lot, 31 median age).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_median_age

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Or... wait for it... significantly disproportionate elderly population. Just sayin'.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Report: Arizona’s Percentage Of COVID-19 Deaths Of Patients Over 65 Lower Than National Average
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I'm surprised Austin didn't roll with his go-to trope of AZ being closer to the Southern border and increased relative deaths being due to all those filthy Messkins bringing teh COVIDs across the border from Nogales... or so his sister's hairdresser's cousin says on Facebook.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    poundkeyfuckthezuck
    2nd phizers in
    less side effects than 1st
    feel pretty good
    gatesjuice aint hurtin my ability to use a whippy stick to place flies where they need to be to git eaten

were takin christmas carp in your tub pre orders
    $100 an inch
    $150 if i gotta use the chimney for access
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Hell yeah, dude
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    poundkeyfuckthezuck
    2nd phizers in
    less side effects than 1st
    feel pretty good
    gatesjuice aint hurtin my ability to use a whippy stick to place flies where they need to be to git eaten

were takin christmas carp in your tub pre orders
    $100 an inch
    $150 if i gotta use the chimney for access
    LOL @ Christmas Carp - so weird to see those tubs of carp in the town square of Salzburg. Such a festive fish!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

What an ugly fish.

Quote Originally Posted by nwags41 View Post

Arizona--300,000+ Native Americans, Washington 90,000+. Certainly not the only reason for more Covid deaths in AZ but part of it.
    AZ 1500 Native American deaths, WA 120. In AZ death rate for Indians is 2.5 times that for whites.

Policy and behavior are bigger factors.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    What an ugly fish.
    It's no red snapper, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Arizona--300,000+ Native Americans, Washington 90,000+. Certainly not the only reason for more Covid deaths in AZ but part of it.
    AZ 1500 Native American deaths, WA 120. In AZ death rate for Indians is 2.5 times that for whites.

Policy and behavior are bigger factors.
    In my little corner of Washington, the tribes have it dialed. The Lummi began vaccinating in December. When they saw demand declining they started to open it up to homeless, the very poor, and at risk non-natives.

You can't post those pics here SFB, you'll get this thread modded to the fishing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    In my little corner of Washington, the tribes have it dialed. The Lummi began vaccinating in December. When they saw demand declining they started to open it up to homeless, the very poor, and at risk non-natives.
    I don't know much about tribes in WA but I believe the Navajo are having a tough time of it and the Pima and Tohono O'Odham tribes are about the poorest tribes in the US. I doubt they're giving vaccine away to anyone. 2/3 of adult Tohono O'odham are diabetic. 2/3.

I was really just applauding their generosity and social responsibility. They definitely have the same problems as many other tribes do, but they also have significant income streams and (what appears to be from an outside observer) competent governance.

FWIW, The Navajo Nation once had high COVID-19 case rates but is now experiencing very low infection rates and deaths. Nearly 90% of Navajos have received at least one vaccine dose. The Navajo Nation will begin to reopen based on high vaccination rate and falling cases.

https://www.kuer.org/health-science-...covid-19-cases

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    FWIW, The Navajo Nation once had high COVID-19 case rates but is now experiencing very low infection rates and deaths. Nearly 90% of Navajos have received at least one vaccine dose. The Navajo Nation will begin to reopen based on high vaccination rate and falling cases.

i.e. vaccination works. Even in, or maybe especially in, disadvantaged communities.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post

Anybody that has spent any time on the Navajo reservation knows what an impressive feat this is. Huge distances, remote areas, a lot of residents don’t have/barely have normal utilities. Good for them, that’s awesome.

Spring Michigan surge putting younger people in the hospital while older vaccinated population looks on:

Attachment 371185