Page 1236 of 1339 FirstFirst ... 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 ... LastLast
Results 30,876 to 30,900 of 33457
  1. #30876
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,668
    Mom losses her daughter and rolls into post-mortem denial:

    https://www.kxly.com/spokane-mother-...ughters-death/

    That just seems like the worst thing in the world--lose a child and go into a spiral about politics and nonsense. The inevitable self-doubt is going to double when she gets around to whether or not her daughter with "lifelong conditions" could have been better protected. Brutal.

  2. #30877
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    22,979
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

    We could choose to do this, .
    Is there a "We" in the US anymore?

    The groundswell of people that defy common courtesy, wear guns in public as well as the whole masking simplicity shatters that notion.

    And in the offices, the complicity of Republican leaders with regard to the subversion of the election is a new watermark.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  3. #30878
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Here's a real life scenario on why temp scanning isn't effective:

    I am on my last day of isolation for actually having the virus. I had a high temperature for about 3 hours on day two of symptoms. But according to science I was "Shedding" and able to infect other people for 14 days. Also, my normal temp runs pretty low, like 97ºF so for me to be in the 99-100 range that a scanner would be looking for, I would have a long way to go before I would set off alarm bells.
    The real life scenario I’m going with is my real life sister’s real life experience in a real place that’s really doing a lot better than us.

  4. #30879
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,238
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Any particular measure, like temp scanning, doesn’t need to be 100% perfect in order to mitigate a pandemic.
    i.e., "Layers of Swiss Cheese" model

  5. #30880
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,006
    If any one measure isn’t completely immediately effective we’re not going to do it.

    The concept of many partially effective measures is (I guess) too rhetorically complicated. (?)

  6. #30881
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The real life scenario I’m going with is my real life sister’s real life experience in a real place that’s really doing a lot better than us.
    Cool, you got nekkid pics?

    I've got an uncle who lives in China. He said that his neighbor got dragged away to quarantine a month ago and he hasn't seen him since. Maybe that's how they beat the virus.

    Here in the real world, your temp scanners are about as effective as "thoughts and prayers".


    ETA: I will agree though that if people were to wear a fitness tracking device that would immediately alert them to a substantial rise in temperature, heart rate, or drop in SpO2, then you might be on to something. From the data that I have from my personal smart watch, and taking my own temp regularly, I can definitely see where I was symptomatic in retrospect.

  7. #30882
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I've got an uncle who lives in China. He said that his neighbor got dragged away to quarantine a month ago and he hasn't seen him since. Maybe that's how they beat the virus.
    Sorta rike the Covid version of a repers colony?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  8. #30883
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Cool, you got nekkid pics?

    I've got an uncle who lives in China. He said that his neighbor got dragged away to quarantine a month ago and he hasn't seen him since. Maybe that's how they beat the virus.

    Here in the real world, your temp scanners are about as effective as "thoughts and prayers".


    ETA: I will agree though that if people were to wear a fitness tracking device that would immediately alert them to a substantial rise in temperature, heart rate, or drop in SpO2, then you might be on to something. From the data that I have from my personal smart watch, and taking my own temp regularly, I can definitely see where I was symptomatic in retrospect.
    Holy shit dude...

    Couple things:
    1) yeah, that’s how China beat the virus...by forcibly isolating sick people.

    2) seano just posted his dept has caught 6 cases with temp scanning.

    3) do you seriously see other countries as not being part of the real world? What’s your definition of reality? Who qualifies?

    4) in this day and age, this is as far as I go. You’ve activated my troll alarm, and I can only engage with trolling to a point, and that point is here. Hit the smelling salts, smarten up, take a lap. For fucks sake bro.

  9. #30884
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Holy shit dude...

    Couple things:
    1) yeah, that’s how China beat the virus...by forcibly isolating sick people.

    2) seano just posted his dept has caught 6 cases with temp scanning.

    3) do you seriously see other countries as not being part of the real world? What’s your definition of reality? Who qualifies?

    4) in this day and age, this is as far as I go. You’ve activated my troll alarm, and I can only engage with trolling to a point, and that point is here. Hit the smelling salts, smarten up, take a lap. For fucks sake bro.
    Are you new to TGR? Sorry if my disagreeing with you rattled your cage.

  10. #30885
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Are you new to TGR? Sorry if my disagreeing with you rattled your cage.
    Anecdotal stories are cool but just it’s akin to saying “I smoked a pack a day for 50 years and nothing bad happened” - sure you can find people like that but should public health measures be based off outliers?

  11. #30886
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Anecdotal stories are cool but just it’s akin to saying “I smoked a pack a day for 50 years and nothing bad happened” - sure you can find people like that but should public health measures be based off outliers?
    I get that it is anecdotal, there's a lot of anecdotal stories going around. Probably about 12.7m of them in the US.

  12. #30887
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,737
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Mom losses her daughter and rolls into post-mortem denial:

    https://www.kxly.com/spokane-mother-...ughters-death/

    That just seems like the worst thing in the world--lose a child and go into a spiral about politics and nonsense. The inevitable self-doubt is going to double when she gets around to whether or not her daughter with "lifelong conditions" could have been better protected. Brutal.
    ".......and who’s to say she really had COVID.”

    Uhhhhh... I think there's a test for that. Poor woman. I don't get why it matters as it won't change the outcome unless as you say she feels subconsciously that she didn’t do enough to shield her from the virus.

    Funny, I had an uncle that developed cognitive decline. I don't know if it was dementia or Alzheimer’s but one of the two ran in the family. One time at a family gathering I said something like "Uncle John had Alzheimer’s too" and his wife piped up "he did not have Alzheimer’s! He had dementia!" She was quite adamant about the distinction. I didn't argue and I guess I don't know enough about either I just know he forgot who I was and then he died and it was sad no matter what caused it.

    Such crappy times. Was just thinking this morning while I was doing chores that this time last year we were blissfully unaware of what was lurking on the horizon. I have def. decided I will get the vaccine. This needs to be gone and it seems to me, from what I’ve read, it won’t happen without people getting vaccinated so I’m going to do my part to help.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  13. #30888
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Cool, you got nekkid pics?

    I've got an uncle who lives in China. He said that his neighbor got dragged away to quarantine a month ago and he hasn't seen him since. Maybe that's how they beat the virus.
    or maybe he had the virus and succumbed to it. I mean... since we're guessing and spreading 2nd....3rd....4th hand information.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  14. #30889
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I get that it is anecdotal, there's a lot of anecdotal stories going around. Probably about 12.7m of them in the US.
    Yes good. You’re getting closer. Now examine those 12.7m stories, accept that perfection is the enemy, and see if some good recommendations can come out of that. Those recommendations may not fit your own personal experience.

  15. #30890
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    15,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    During the first surge a lot of hospitals stopped doing contact isolation for colonized MRSA/VRE to conserve gowns. Cdiff and CRE obviously still got gowns.

    Looking at data, Cdiff is up.
    Interesting, thanks. I wonder why C diff up?--Shear volume of patients? I would assume that covid patients wouldn't be getting antibiotics to trigger c diff?

  16. #30891
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    valley of the heart's delight
    Posts
    1,072
    But what about Sweden?

    Swedish life expectancy falls due to Covid

    Vibes to the maggots personally affected by Covid. Thanks for sharing your stories and hope it goes well for you.

    Seano - maybe the Australian fire season needs you? Escape this rathole for a few months.

    As to swiss cheese theory and "thoughts and prayers," I'm all for it as one of the countermeasures. A few minutes of self-reflection about actions and disease can work wonders. After all, thinking about driving has helped keep me alive while driving. And the seat belt, and the driving laws, and the conventions, and the stop signs, and ABS, and a bunch of other stuff. Never used an airbag or the 911 response, so remove them???

    I'll be getting a vaccine. 10's of thousands have been vaccinated with no deaths, and a sick day for some. Covid kills 1-10 per thousand. We don't seem to be able to control spread. On balance the vaccine looks like a huge win for my health.

  17. #30892
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,155
    I been seeing my people wearing masks at random for years in airports or in the city

    they certainly don't look very free
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  18. #30893
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    9,718
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    hallelujah. Dating pool needs a refresh.
    There's gonna be a lot of angry single Karens out there.

  19. #30894
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    5,492
    My BIL's family in MN has it; confirmed test on his 9-year-old daughter. She's sick as hell; rest of family has mild symptoms. Fuck.

  20. #30895
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    3,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    My BIL's family in MN has it; confirmed test on his 9-year-old daughter. She's sick as hell; rest of family has mild symptoms. Fuck.
    Oh man FC, that's awful.....Vibes your way.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  21. #30896
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,624
    Notice how suddenly all the maga snowflakes are talking about how we aren't China. Everywhere I go the last few days. I check in here and fuck if we aren't China. Who knew?

    We aren't South Korea, or Australia, or New Zealand either...all countries that are kicking covid ass in comparison...so I guess we raise the white flag. We are so damned weak as a people.

    These right wingnuts are so controlled. Like talking to trollbots. What lame ass argument will they simultaneously spew next week?




    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

  22. #30897
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,660
    Good luck HTFB, +++vibes+++ your way

  23. #30898
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    24,637
    This is why we're fucking doomed. Denver mayor urges people not to travel for Thanksgiving. Then travels to Mississippi for Thanksgiving.

    https://www.denverpost.com/2020/11/2...sgiving-covid/

    FFS.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  24. #30899
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    8,122
    ^ Guy should lose his job. Same for Newsom and whoever else does that shit.

  25. #30900
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    24,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    ^ Guy should lose his job. Same for Newsom and whoever else does that shit.
    If I could vote him out I would.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •