Page 1471 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 ... LastLast
Results 36,751 to 36,775 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    i was almost about to protest buuuut ski resorts can stay open during the lock down : ) now it just needs to snow
    muhahahaha
    But what about the Krazy Kangaruh?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The one that gets me, at least in France, is that when indicating a number with your fingers the thumb counts, so when I order one beer by holding up one finger I wind up with two. Which I guess isn't really a problem.
    Just don't hold up two fingers for a couple of beers in a bar in England. At least not the index and pointer finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    But what about the Krazy Kangaruh?
    Crazy indeed! The last time i have been to a official party! March 2020 I am thinking back with a smile. now it is crazy cangoroona

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Also the way they count floors.
    Man. I have problems in vienna finding the right floor. They invented two floor names historicaly that dont exist in the rest of austria. The floor above the street used to be the "best" so the created a half floor and the mezzanine. So the 1st floor in some buildings can be almost under the roof ; )
    and then for americans your first floor is our ground floor i guess

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/1...america-517076

This ones for you Montucky.

“ That summer, Johnson, a conservative who in the past has colorfully railed against “the continuing creep of the nanny state,” launched a new governmentwide obesity strategy, complete with a ban on junk food advertising on TV before 9 p.m., new mandates to label calories in restaurants and a requirement that healthier products be stocked near checkout lines. The prime minister began jogging daily and urged the public to adopt healthier habits.”

“ In Washington, there has been no such wake-up call about the link between diet-related diseases and the pandemic. There is no national strategy. There is no systemswide
    approach, even as researchers increasingly recognize that obesity is a disease that is driven not by lack of willpower, but a modern society and food system that’s almost perfectly designed to encourage the overeating of empty calories, along with more stress, less sleep and less daily exercise, setting millions on a path to poor health outcomes that is extremely difficult to break from.”

“ There’s also a deep-seated belief in America that obesity and other diet-related diseases are the result of personal choices and anything the government does to meddle with our diets is an assault on American liberty. That narrative is increasingly being challenged by science. Research shows that once someone has obesity, there are almost no dietary or exercise interventions that are successful at reversing the disease over the long term and many people lack access to more aggressive treatments like drugs and bariatric surgery. Humans, it turns out, are largely hardwired to keep weight on once they gain it.”

Obvious critique is that pretty much everyone still in politics remembers the culture wars that erupted around the Obama admins efforts to instill and incentivize healthy eating habits and reduce obesity. It would be like throwing gasoline on the already raging “muh freedums “ dumpster fire.
    interesting to see other countries with a national healthcare system go with a more holistic whole health approach when trying to manage this pandemic.

We are the chubby people from Wall-E

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    We are the chubby people from Wall-E
    The Brits are in a real chubby country too.

And much chubbier after the lockdown. I read that kids are nearly twenty percent chubbier.

Fat, David, is a feminist issue.

Houston, we have a problem.

There is speculation that the vaccines could have zero effectiveness against this new strain. Therefore, a new pandemic.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03552-w

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

There is speculation that the vaccines could have zero effectiveness against this new strain. Therefore, a new pandemic.

Well that’s just fucking great…….
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

And the Dow drops a thousand...

Seriously?
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

TL;DR -
    This new variant has more mutations compared to Classic Covid vs Delta.
    Current vaccines may be more or less effective against this new variant.
    Breakthrough infections may be more or less severe.
    People are working to clarify
    Stay tuned.

Losing my fucking mind. Are you kidding me?

My thoughts in the vaccine thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Why I am less nervous: these same concerning anecdotes were present during the Beta surge (Beta South African B.1.351). South African sources echoed quite loudly on the subject:
    1. There was much talk of reinfection cases.
    2. There was in vitro reduced neutralizing activity studies that had people up in arms.
    3. There was great concern of vaccine escape.

So what actually happened since the world didn't end?
    1. No epidemiologically meaningful reinfection data was ever shown.
    2. The in vitro experiments didn't transfer over to in vivo and epidemiologically significant effects for pandemic control.
    3. The vaccine concerns ended up being that the AZ vaccine used in SA was subpar in VEI realworld performance, but still protected extremely well against severe disease.

Beta was not the "Omega strain" feared, nor was its equally supposedly-fearsome cousin Gamma (P.1 Brazil) a terror outside of its emergent region which had the same fears, anecdotes, and in vitro data as Beta. Lambda and Mu were going to do us in as well. Alpha (UK B.1.17), the less fearsome though still more virulent and contagious than Wild Type, ended up being the worldwide dominant strain until Delta (India B.1.617) decisively outcompeted every other strain across the globe.

Will New Omicron (Botswana/South Africa B.1.1.529) be the immunity escaping Omega strain?

Why I am nervous:
    concerning anecdotes from SA about immune escape and presumed high seroprevalence in the region, maybe 40% maybe 70% while vaccine uptake is just over 20%. South Africa had it bad, about as bad as anywhere and the situations in their hospitals were just gut wrenching for patients and staff. The issue is of course that there are localized bursts in incidence that follow a mutation of better reproductive fitness which could be similar to Alpha and Delta, but not necessarily immune escape, or it could mean some level of immune escape. We have alterations in areas of the spike protein that could compromise previous infection immunity, vaccine response, and even multicompartment immunity... but will eyeballing a protein/sequence and computer simulation equal reduced activity in vitro? In vivo? Meaningfully so? For those previously infected? For those vaccinated? How about for those boosted? It could be with this many mutations that much of the previous vaccine efficacy will be muted, at least for infection. We won't know for 2-4 weeks.

When 1918 H1N1 Paninfluenza went around the world in several waves over the 2+ years of that pandemic, it mutated into more strains than SARS-CoV-2. There was no vaccine, or even real understanding that it was a virus. People were reinfected because the new strains were mutated to the point of immune escape because that is what Influenza virus does best, much better than COVID. But the immune memory was not truly blind. The people who were infected previously had a much milder course and the second time around, and that wasn't simply regression to mean virulence through mutation.

What is clear is that like Delta, "Omicron" emerged in a low vaccination region. Mutations come from replications. The only way to cut replications is to prevent infections. The only way to prevent infections long term is vaccinations. Luckily, with mRNA technology, Moderna and Biontech could start the production of a tuned up booster shot next week. Vaccine producers already have done work on this. If we treat approval as we do seasonal influenza shots, deployment could be faster than the virus moving forward. Similarly, we can generate monoclonal antibody treatments rapidly. Lastly, new protease inhibitor antiviral drugs such as those from Pfizer and Merck conceptually seem unlikely to be affected by RBD mutations as these don't play into the drugs mechanism (the proteases won't change). So, even at worst case, this won't be a "new pandemic," but something similar or worse than Delta's terrible impact while we mitigate with drugs and non-pharmaceutical interventions until a new booster is deployed. Best case, this is a nothingburger. I am hopeful that immunity from vaccine and previous infection will have preserved efficacy against sever disease.
    Last edited by Summit; 11-26-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

That’s not what the article said. They know virtually nothing at this point, they’re collecting data to try and understand the variant better.

Way to help with the fear mongering though, kudos.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Giving the new variant a sinister name: omicron

Almost makes it sound cool
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Almost makes it sound cool
    I've got a hat/sticker kit on the way

At least they didn't call it "new."

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    That’s not what the article said. They know virtually nothing at this point, they’re collecting data to try and understand the variant better.

Way to help with the fear mongering though, kudos.

Oh, hey, if you want fear mongering, here ya go.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2021...side-risk.html

Oh, hey, if you want fear mongering, here ya go.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2021...side-risk.html
    World class fear mongering. No where in that article does it discuss the severity of illness caused by the variant. Were the vaccinated patients ill? It’s spreading among a largely unvaccinated and immuno compromised population in South Africa. It could be a doomsday strain but no one knows right now.

Maybe, but, the EU, the White House, and Wall Street are erring on the side of extreme caution. I hope they are wrong.

Maybe, but, the EU, the White House, and Wall Street are erring on the side of extreme caution. I hope they are wrong.
    So our inept government and the stock market is how we gauge the threat level now? Got it

It's how we formulate the reaction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	394163
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism