Page 520 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 ... LastLast
Results 12,976 to 13,000 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    If only it were that easy for all of us. After I saw the writing on the walls with the oil industry after my team got let go, I applied for multiple overnight stocking positions, janitorial positions and more at my local grocery store chains, Lowe's, Home Depot and other places that said they were hiring. I got rejected for every position and place.

I was feeling bad about it until my wife told me a lady she works with has a husband who works HR for that grocery store mega chain and said that they had over 40,000 applicants for the overnight stocker positions alone JUST IN THIS CITY. Let that sink in. Many of us out there are desperate for work and fighting for crumbs. Especially with the entire restaurant, service, and oil/gas industries totally fubared right now.
    But we can count on you to vote against your own interests in November, amirite??

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm not sure they're being that picky.
    Apparently, Austin didn't make the cut.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

If only it were that easy for all of us. After I saw the writing on the walls with the oil industry after my team got let go, I applied for multiple overnight stocking positions, janitorial positions and more at my local grocery store chains, Lowe's, Home Depot and other places that said they were hiring. I got rejected for every position and place.

I was feeling bad about it until my wife told me a lady she works with has a husband who works HR for that grocery store mega chain and said that they had over 40,000 applicants for the overnight stocker positions alone JUST IN THIS CITY. Let that sink in. Many of us out there are desperate for work and fighting for crumbs. Especially with the entire restaurant, service, and oil/gas industries totally fubared right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    So you lacked the qualifications for entry level work?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If only it were that easy for all of us.
    Hardened conservative capitalist proclaims with all the unintended irony of a Lebowski Nihilist: "but...it's not fair!". Boo-fucking-hoo. The cavalier attitude to other people's circumstances and lack of sympathy finds you here. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    But we can count on you to vote against your own interests in November, amirite??
    Heh. There's a lot I like about Austin, and Harry vouched for him. I'd let Austin crash at my house without a second thought. But, man, he has a certain selective lack of self-awareness and when he really gets rolling with it it's something to see.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Cultist zombies !

Scary

Attachment 325340

Un fucking believable. Well, not really. I totally believe it.

At my desk, getting bombarded with increasingly grim and depressing models, forecasts, and news, this popped up on my playlist; seems relevant....

"....Hold On, Stay Inside......
    This Body, Holding Me, Reminding Me That I Am Not Alone
    This Body, Makes Me Feel, Eternal
    All This Pain Is An Illusion...."

TOOL-PARABOL

Hang in there Mags......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The argument about not recreating is based on increasing the likelihood of needing SAR or hospital resources. For SAR, it increases the likelihood of exposure for them.
    For hospital, all resources need to be on deck for COVID-19, not Joe Extreem.
    Exactly.
    Also so that small towns like mine that are adjacent to recreation areas, beaches, etc. aren’t overrun with tourists and people from nearby urban centers, thus spreading the virus and overwhelming small town resources.
    Many locals in the gorge/hood region are super pissed they can’t hike or bike their favorite areas, but before things were shut down, it was mayhem. OR coast too.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Cultist zombies !

Scary

Attachment 325340

Is this a photo from the protest in Lansing?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The argument about not recreating is based on increasing the likelihood of needing SAR or hospital resources. For SAR, it increases the likelihood of exposure for them.
    For hospital, all resources need to be on deck for COVID-19, not Joe Extreem.
    that plus all the small ways that one can be a vector or contribute to the spread: stopping for gas, meeting someone on the trail or in the lot (however unlikely), and all the myriad ways that this insidious fucking thing infects people that we do not understand. It seems pretty basic to me that the farther one travels, the greater the likelihood of contributing to spread is, but some don't see it that way.

I waded into that thread before realizing that it was basically a thread for people to justify their recreation. Got some backcountry bro virtue signaling and accused of not being a skier.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If my family needed money for food and shelter I wouldn’t be whining on the internet right now.

That sucks. I hope you find something. It's not all or nothing either so, maybe not quickly enough, but things are going to change. Widespread distribution of personal protective equipment will happen too, unlocking more possibilities.

So much of this is self inflected though so a big reason for all the push back is because Trump's and the federal government's response was so bad that the economy started cratering even before the lockdowns, and now people don't trust Trump to open the economy.
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 04-15-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    eh, those jobs suck and have high turnover b3cause they suck so why hire someone who’s going to leave as soon as they can when you’ve got thousands to choose from?

So if we're going to paint with a broad, discriminatory brush and blame boomers, maybe an upside from all of this sufferung is that young people might start voting?

... Boomer Thom
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Checking in as a young-ish (31) person who doesn't feel anything akin to what you're postulating. I would like to see a lasting transformation of the economy toward a low/zero growth model and away from the current state of things. I know it's unlikely to happen, but I'm in no rush to return to the way things were. Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer.

How many of those young people are working jobs that don't provide health insurance? How many of them would be royally fucked economically if they kept working and got sick enough to require hospitalization? It isn't just age and infirmity that put people in the high-risk category.
    Gotta love all the boomers who keep saying "keep it all shut down" while still drawing their nice little retirement checks. While younger folks like me lost their damn job due to COVID, and now can't get a new job thanks to COVID keeping everyone shut down. I was literally being processed by HR to get a menial position at a new job when they got shut down too. Not sure how we're gonna survive, and no the little stimulus checks aren't going to cut it. Been trying like hell (unsuccessfully) to get on unemployment so don't go there.

I say open it back up, but carefully. You boomers just go back to quarantining yourselves if you're so scared and STFU while the rest of us get our asses back to work. I am DESPERATE to work again. Screw this shut down bullcrap. It should be individual's choice whether to take that risk. If you're truly scared, then hole up and go away.

SO easy for all the old folks to scream up from their high horses about everyone's safety while enjoying steady retirement income. Generational warfare's about to get real.
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-15-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    eh, those jobs suck and have high turnover b3cause they suck so why hire someone who’s going to leave as soon as they can when you’ve got thousands to choose from?
    Do lack the self awareness to comprehend the irony of your post?

If true, the irony is that it was probably due to ageism.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Is this a photo from the protest in Lansing?
    No. Ohio.

This is from (Pure) Michigan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1250491829155500032

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I deleted my post. I thought it was insensitive after reading Austin's last post.
    Right now everyone in the country needs health care and an income and the only place that can come from is the fed govt, understanding there will be a price to pay down the road--major tax increases once the economy is back on its feet. Things would be easier if we weren't running a trillion dollar deficit before Covid. The tax cut is looking more and more reckless and apparently Trump is talking about another one. What good is a tax cut for people who are out of work? Seems like a simple concept but then the man has never done an honest day's work in his life so maybe not so simple for him.

The powers that be like to pit us against each other so they can stay in power---young vs old, men vs women, white vs nonwhite, poor vs middle class, when the real battle is been the rich and everyone else. To resurrect an old phrase, it's time for people to show a little class consciousness. My grandfather's solution--line the capitalists up against a wall and shoot them--might be a touch extreme, but a little peaceful revolution wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Austin would never vote for some goody two shoes libtard snowflake Karen like Biden!
    Bootstraps!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Seems like the reduction in car accidents runs counter to the rest of your argument.
    Point is people comparing this to car accidents is based on volume not exchange and Covid is very much exchanging deaths for the real killers Heart Disease, obesity, Lower respiratory disease, etc.

My apologies if that wasn't clear on the first read

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    No. Ohio.

This is from (Pure) Michigan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1250491829155500032
    Wow. Lawn seed and hair color.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You're right. In fact, that's literally exactly what one hiring manager told me her concern about me was. I convinced her that I was happy to work and would love to join the team (for a night position doing factory work). Got through that process and then the plant got shut down til further notice. Faaaaaaaack...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Does the US have a plan for reopening? I poked around cdc.gov and coronavirus.gov. All I see there is reactive response to initial outbreak.
    Does the US have a plan for any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Point is people comparing this to car accidents is based on volume not exchange and Covid is very much exchanging deaths for the real killers Heart Disease, obesity, Lower respiratory disease, etc.

My apologies if that wasn't clear on the first read
    I suppose that's a way to look at it, but you're eventually going to die from something. So, yeah, there's an exchange but I really don't think that's much of a factor to consider.