Page 798 of 902 FirstFirst ... 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 ... LastLast
Results 19,926 to 19,950 of 22529
    Temporarily--reducing COVID without killing off the virus probably only lasts as long as the behavior, as oldgoat pointed out recently.

I think it should be possible to at least come up with some estimates for viral loads at certain transmissions that are likely to have occurred in a known setting (patient coughing in a caretaker's face, for example) and show a correlation with severity of the next infection. Something. Samples are not small at this point. Any link between severity and dose is a very useful piece of information.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    The problem with the boomers isn't that there are so many of them, it's that they've worked so hard to defund and break these social programs for 40 years with success no matter who is in the OO.

No. The problem is "there are individuals who have worked so hard to defund and break these social programs for 40 years with success no matter who is in the OO." Some just happen to be boomers.

I'm a boomer and I've never worked towards or supported that goal and I have a great many boomer friends who haven't either. Shortsighted selfishness is not the bastion of just one generation.
    Last edited by KQ; 06-01-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Temporarily--reducing COVID without killing off the virus probably only lasts as long as the behavior, as oldgoat pointed out recently.
    The exception is if you're New Zealand. Tracked that shit all the way down to the last person.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-covid-19-case

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    In the hamster study discussed earlier the subset of masked hamsters who became infected, presumably receiving a lower dose than unmasked hamsters, had less severe disease indicators.
    This is k00l because these animals are inbred, i.e., genetically identical, so there's no variation at the level of individual animals. Differences in disease severity may very well be due to outside factors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    ˇÓrale, vato!

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    The exception is if you're New Zealand. Tracked that shit all the way down to the last person.

They've done a great job, but they obviously have some serious geographical advantages: a country of less than five million people sitting in the middle of the Pacific helps.

Just a reminder that The Hutch is doing incredible work to genetically trace variants of the virus. Almost 4,000 samples sequenced to date which is how they determined that most of America was seeded with cases from Europe and not China directly.

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

You can actually go in and see the variants in each clade which is to say that variation is fairly modest and that NO ONE has connected variation with disease severity (infectivity or virulence) which makes the Italian story incomplete at best. Even IF a variant arises with properties that make it less severe, its propagation relative to other variants depends more on an increase in infectivity and less on a change to virulence. With that in mind, the current version is already highly infectious.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    They've done a great job, but they obviously have some serious geographical advantages: a country of less than five million people sitting in the middle of the Pacific helps.
    They are golden, as long as their dependence on tourism doesn't bring the virus back. Seems a little like where Montana is, we have all but eliminated new infections, but tourism is a huge part of the economy which is being reopened. "What a nice safe place for vacation....". It worries me, very many think it's done here for good, and have gone back to old habits.

edit: I guess NZ can quarantine visitors, but that will eliminate a lot of interest in tourism.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Agreed. No one thinks that's possible here. But NZ was early in their lockdown too which we all know is something that could have helped us.

I'm going to keep banging this drum because this is a hugely important resource in my mind. Even if you just look at the table mid-page, it would be worth it.

Read this: https://cdn.hc1.com/docs/covid-19/ae...user-guide.pdf
    And then visit this: https://www.aei.org/covid-2019-action-tracker/

Does it have ALL cases, probably not.
    It also bothers me that the LRI calculation (and the subsequent heat map) does not factor in the number of test performed.
    Also, we don't know if tested is concentration to specific businesses or residences (like nursing homes)

However, you can see the volume of tests for your county and whether there's a spike. The reg version simply breaks the results down by age and gender.

I'm going to keep banging this drum because this is a hugely important resource in my mind. Even if you just look at the table mid-page, it would be worth it.

Read this: https://cdn.hc1.com/docs/covid-19/ae...user-guide.pdf
    And then visit this: https://www.aei.org/covid-2019-action-tracker/

Does it have ALL cases, probably not.
    It also bothers me that the LRI calculation (and the subsequent heat map) does not factor in the number of test performed.
    Also, we don't know if tested is concentration to specific businesses or residences (like nursing homes)

However, you can see the volume of tests for your county and whether there's a spike. The reg version simply breaks the results down by age and gender.
    No data for my county. New cases announced here last week but no data on testing that I can find anywhere. I keep hoping that site will offer something but still nada.

New Zealand would be the people who killed it, though, wouldn't they? Or are they still waiting for a case or two to resolve?

I think they've won, though. At this point they can test anyone coming in and I'm betting demand among would-be tourists is peaking pretty hard right about now. It's been on our list for a while but this whole mess moved it up significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Cases in CA going up again, so no, it did not run out of victims. Social distancing and quarantine kept it at bay.
    I was referring to the observation from Milan. Yes it clearly hasn't run out of victims in CA. And my money is still on behavioral change as the cause of the drop in cases in Milan.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    What kind of society do we want to have? Should we just bring everyone in the forest naked at 75 and leave them to die for maximum efficiency? Not to mention that the system was designed to have people pay into the safety net so they could harness some gains and be comfortable in old age. The problem with the boomers isn't that there are so many of them, it's that they've worked so hard to defund and break these social programs for 40 years with success no matter who is in the OO.

Calling Ronald Reagan a baby boomer might be a stretch. The defunding of the social safety net started with him and he is still the spiritual head of the "government is the problem" movement as it continues under baby boomer leadership. If you think it won't continue once the boomers are dead and gone you're delusional. Greed and a lack of empathy are traits that do not observe generational boundaries. Elizabeth Warren is a boomer, so is little Donald (by a whisker). Generational stereotyping--be it of boomers, millenials, or anyone else, is just lazy thinking.

As far paying into the social safety net in order to be provided for in old age--current Medicare and SS recipients, of which I am one, are receiving far more in benefits than we contributed. We did not pay for ourselves while we worked; we are being supported by those currently working (damn few at the moment.) Those programs have been a third rail since enacted. The pre boomer generation voted to keep them intact when they reached retirement age, the boomers are doing it now, and all subsequent generations will do so when it's their turn to cash in.

Gen-X here and I am not planning on SS being available to me when the time comes, esp if we have to endure 4 more years of rumpelstiltskin.

The next page of the thread is 666

Just sayin
    Heads up
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

999 is the next page for me.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    999 is the next page for me.
    In that case the gates of hell open upside down.

Ask for Gozer. The key master
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    except it ain't really a better tractor its just all the $$ going into one persons pockets
    If it wasn't a better tractor people wouldn't be using it.

NY had a spike of non-Covid19 deaths

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e=articleShare

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0A64510-D656-491E-93FE-6CD47B1C5DFE.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	330362

Chile is changing the criteria for defining covid-19 deaths, increasing the totals now, making things even uglier. No light at the end of the tunnel here....

Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    If it wasn't a better tractor people wouldn't be using it.
    until you have a main street with nothing on it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It never really left Missoula
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    until you have a main street with nothing on it
    Pretty clear that isn't as important to people as the services Amazon provides.

Ron Johnson gets the first post on page 666 of the thread.

I gotta find my holy underwear and a roll of tinfoil.

Rapture is near
    Hunter S. Thompson

So now it's hitting the fishing industry? Uff da!

Name:  AD.png
Views: 951
Size:  31.0 KB
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ron Johnson gets the first post on page 666 of the thread.

I gotta find my holy underwear and a roll of tinfoil.

Rapture is near
    799 for me.