Page 1156 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 ... LastLast
Results 28,876 to 28,900 of 41810
    Two good friends (a couple) just texted that they’re sick as hell; tested Monday, awaiting results. Both 30-ish, fit, and healthy. One in worse shape than the other; all the classic symptoms. Fuck this sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I haven't looked into it but am curious to know if we're doing the same number of tests for the flu as in past years.
    I looked, though not very hard. It's CDC, so there's a shitload of public information you're free to dig through. I looked a few weeks ago, so don't hold me to details. They are still doing a lot of tests. I don't think it is the same number, as there is very minimal non-covid ILI (influenza like illness). A normal summer has low prevalence, we had just about nothing. The flu numbers are so low, that it's worth asking whether they adjust for the expected false-positive rate... there might be no flu at all.

The US program is less rigorous than other countries, but all the countries show the same result - hardly any flu. There's articles about the missing flu seasons in the southern hemisphere's winter. Some about the northern hemisphere - the flu prevalence fell to zero around week 12, the end of March. It doesn't do that in any prior season. It's obvious and remarkable that something in March (Covid's social distancing) suppressed the flu.

X

Last flu season, just ended.
    Name:  WHONPHL42_small.gif
Views: 800
Size:  46.9 KB

Last week (week 42) they ran 10,809 flu tests with 33 positive. Flu ain't the covid.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Last flu season, just ended.
    Name:  WHONPHL42_small.gif
Views: 800
Size:  46.9 KB

Last week (week 42) they ran 10,809 flu tests with 33 positive. Flu ain't the covid.
    Notice the prior influenza season started around week 44, so we'll see how things play out over the coming weeks. What I find interesting is that the current wave of covid infections is hypothesized to be in part due to a move indoors in the midwest. If true, then it seems possible that influenza infections have a longer latentcy relative to covid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0AD9E575-0900-477F-814A-FD8DA400C59C.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	637.9 KB 
ID:	345441

Name:	08C6630D-6E3F-4404-A256-072960198191.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	438.4 KB 
ID:	345442

Name:	F92D56F9-BC5C-4D99-AA8B-083DFFAE149F.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	627.1 KB 
ID:	345443

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    *snip

What I find interesting is that the current wave of covid infections is hypothesized to be in part due to a move indoors in the midwest. If true, then it seems possible that influenza infections have a longer latentcy relative to covid.
    The cold snap seen in the Northern Rockies just this week will definitely lead to a jump in cases, since it’s pushed everyone indoors and turned those furnaces on. We had already been seeing an unprecedented growth in cases here in MT right before this hit, so watching the next week will be interesting.

Seems like the right thread, no need to create another.

Talk me in or out of a flu shot. I'm completely open minded on the subject and have never had one, or the flu (besides the 'rona).

Is it true that contagiousness peaks after (or at least closer to) symptom onset for the flu? "Stay home if you're sick" works a lot better if that's the case.

Can't wait to see the repercussions in a few weeks from all the numb-nut in chief's rallies.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

Talk me in or out of a flu shot. I'm completely open minded on the subject and have never had one, or the flu (besides the 'rona).
    The benefits far outweigh the risks. What’s stopping you from getting one?

Talk me in or out of a flu shot. I'm completely open minded on the subject
    Those who are "open minded on the subject" seem to be the most resistant to the idea. Why the heck wouldn't you get a flu shot this fall?

Quote Originally Posted by anti-hero View Post
    I don’t think it’s that crazy, and should be investigated to the fullest extent.
    Tits or GTFO.

Got a free flu shot yesterday from a pop-up drive through clinic. Super easy, no side effects, tiny needle, didn't feel a thing. Not sure why you wouldn't, unless you are some conspiracy theorist anti-vaxxer.

My MIL snuck up on me and stuck me with a flu shot in a parking lot a few years ago.

Ummm ... have you read this?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

You should not get a flu shot. If you're lucky you'll get the flu, feel really miserable for a few days--completely wiped out, bad headache, fever, vomiting, cough, total body ache--and realize that if this is what the flu is like no way do you want the covid so from now on you'll be super careful with the mask and distancing and handwashing. Or just get the shot and be careful about the covid.

Plus this could be the year the flu is as deadly as 1918. It is 2020 after all. Why not another deadly pandemic?

The same reason you wear a mask in public: because it could help stop the spread of a rampant virus. This year's flu season may be very mild, or it may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You should not get a flu shot. If you're lucky you'll get the flu, feel really miserable for a few days--completely wiped out, bad headache, fever, vomiting, cough, total body ache--and realize that if this is what the flu is like no way do you want the covid so from now on you'll be super careful with the mask and distancing and handwashing. Or just get the shot and be careful about the covid.

Plus this could be the year the flu is as deadly as 1918. It is 2020 after all. Why not another deadly pandemic?
    I have read some people do get the flu and don't really get sick. Even though I have always been very healthy and rarely sick I used to get the flu pretty much every year and get miserably sick so I get the shot every year. Seems to help. If I do get the flu now it is completely gone within a couple days and doesn't linger forever. Two years ago I did get so sick I was stuck in bed for a day but the next day I was fine and the third day I was golden. Not sure why people have a hang up with getting it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

You used to get actual flu (not a bad cold) every year? Did you do a lot of plane travel or something?

I had a bad flu almost 30 yrs ago after a shitty long flight. I lost ten pounds (I’m pretty lean to begin with) and it took two months to be full strength for climbing mtns etc.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    This internet myth will be around longer than getting money for using outlook.
    My friend stood in line to get tested but left before her turn and then got a call saying she was positive.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    My friend stood in line to get tested but left before her turn and then got a call saying she was positive.
    Oh no you d'int!!!!

Get it, it's easy and available just about anywhere. I go to Walgreens to get mine. You can die from the flu. We've got a shot, it's not always perfect but even when it's not spot on it helps lessen the severity or so they say.

I hate getting sick and don't have time for it so when I can I mitigate.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Oh no you d'int!!!!

I get the flu about every other year. Yes I did fly weekly for work. That’s with getting a vaccine. I will get it again this year also. I’ll be first in line for a Covid vaccine also. Vaccines are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk