Page 1120 of 1242 FirstFirst ... 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 ... LastLast
Results 27,976 to 28,000 of 31044
  1. #27976
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,473
    I'm sure Trump's reason for insisting on an in person debate is to get close enough to Biden to infect him and hopefully kill him. That is his "blessing from god."
    ďWhen you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  2. #27977
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Delta County is even worse. One popular liquor store just straight up is defying the county and state orders. Zero masks.
    Pretty bad here in Montrose County as well. Some stores where employees aren't even wearing masks, which is crazy considering the amount of people they are exposed to. Can't fix stupid, I guess.

  3. #27978
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    dude, we have another year of this shit at least. i don't understand why it's so hard to have a couple good ones by the front door and a ten pack in the car in case someone forgets.
    You are talking masks, and not beer, right?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  4. #27979
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    8,204
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    So when is it going to be "safe" to open schools in person? When an effective vaccine is wide spread enough to create herd immunity? That appears to be one year, at the soonest, and several years to never at the other end of the scale. I am not an expert on what is happening with Europe's schools, but they appear to all be open even in countries with current infection rates much higher than in the US, particularly compared to West Coast US where schools are mostly all still remote (despite having some of the lowest current infection rates in the country). Those who are fortunate to be able to work from home are mostly middle and upper class. The lower class is still working away from home and for better or worse, relied on schools as free day care for their kids. American school children were already falling behind and now they appear to be the only schools on earth who will be closed for the next 2+ years while the rest of the world resumes classes in person. Interests must be balanced.
    Well the administration has done absolutely nothing to help this situation. Will it be totally safe before a vaccine? No. Could it be a hell of a lot safer and easier to manage? Yes - Get the infection rate down and get easy access to quick testing.

  5. #27980
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Where the diamonds turn to coal
    Posts
    7,008
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Glade, you must work in the last redneck outpost left in King County. I can't imagine offices in Redmond, Issaquah, and Bellevue not wearing masks religiously. Hell, even down here in blue collar Tacoma we wear masks. Start filming this shit and start whistle blowing. You don't live in Idaho. The government is on your side here.
    Bullshit. Nobody gives a flying fuck. That's why we're where we are with this.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  6. #27981
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11,725
    Glade you should move back to NJ. People are even jogging with masks on.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  7. #27982
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    You are talking masks, and not beer, right?
    can't it be both?
    They got a name for the winners in the world

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  8. #27983
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    14,902
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    So when is it going to be "safe" to open schools in person? When an effective vaccine is wide spread enough to create herd immunity? That appears to be one year, at the soonest, and several years to never at the other end of the scale. I am not an expert on what is happening with Europe's schools, but they appear to all be open even in countries with current infection rates much higher than in the US, particularly compared to West Coast US where schools are mostly all still remote (despite having some of the lowest current infection rates in the country). Those who are fortunate to be able to work from home are mostly middle and upper class. The lower class is still working away from home and for better or worse, relied on schools as free day care for their kids. American school children were already falling behind and now they appear to be the only schools on earth who will be closed for the next 2+ years while the rest of the world resumes classes in person. Interests must be balanced.
    I guess I have more faith that children, including teens, can make up lost ground pretty quickly. Losing a year or two of school is a minor trauma compared to losing a parent or two to the covid they brought home, or being physically or sexually abused, or being malnourished or homeless because the Pres and Congress can't figure out a relief bill. Yes, poor and minority children are more disadvantaged with virtual school than well off white kids. What makes you think their educational disadvantage is any less when everyone is back in school?

    Now whether the parents will ever recover from 2 years of at home learning is another question altogether.

  9. #27984
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,553
    Burning question ... what does a lame duck Trump admin look like? What appointments or laws will he and an outgoing (?) repub senate majority try to ram through?

  10. #27985
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Yes, poor and minority children are more disadvantaged with virtual school than well off white kids. What makes you think their educational disadvantage is any less when everyone is back in school?
    I think poor and minority children were disadvantaged when there was in person school, but their disadvantage is accentuated when school is remote. This belief is based on the type of work poor and minority children's parents do, and the fact that it cannot be done remotely (so now they are forced to pay for child care when before, it was free). Low income also do not have the same internet and computers as the wealthy, so the remote experience is not the same.

    There is subsidized child care available. The elementary school I live next to is closed to in person school, but open for in person child care (must be low income to qualify). All the kids are wearing masks at the playground when I walk by.
    Last edited by altasnob; 10-08-2020 at 11:43 AM.

  11. #27986
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I guess I have more faith that children, including teens, can make up lost ground pretty quickly. Losing a year or two of school is a minor trauma compared to losing a parent or two to the covid they brought home, or being physically or sexually abused, or being malnourished or homeless because the Pres and Congress can't figure out a relief bill. Yes, poor and minority children are more disadvantaged with virtual school than well off white kids. What makes you think their educational disadvantage is any less when everyone is back in school?

    Now whether the parents will ever recover from 2 years of at home learning is another question altogether.
    I guess the counterpoint to this is our teen suicide rate in our surrounding communities is up 8x since March vs prior years and grief counselors working with teens have waiting lists for patients. No right answers, thatís for sure but to your point I do think younger kids are pretty resilient, teens are probably in a different spot.

    As for schools, our ISD is 100% remote, the 6 surrounding ISDís are all back either 100% or some form of hybrid. Since school started 6-7 weeks ago itís interesting to see regardless which of the 7 ISDís you fall in, the positivity rates and C19 related deaths have not changed materially (positive or negative) since prior to school. Our kids are playing sports but if they werenít and weíre 100% remote learning I know it would be impacting them mentally, similar to March/ April/ May.

    No right answers to so much involved with our world today.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #27987
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Bullshit. Nobody gives a flying fuck. That's why we're where we are with this.
    You work in King County, which has likely handled the virus better than any other metro area in the US, and not coincidentally, is possibly the most liberal large county in the US. It is ridiculous if there is a government entity in King County who is not abiding by the governor's order, and this should be addressed. Not for your safety, alone, but the safety of us all.

    Call L & I's Bellevue office and tell them about this. You do not have to provide your name, just your employer's name. There is no way your employer can track your complaint back to you (if you call in the complaint rather than email, and refuse to give your name). L & I will contact your employer and explain the rules and repercussions for not following the rules. L & I notes that they have imposed fines on businesses for not following the rules, but they believe most are able to fully comply with the order once L & I explains that to management. L & I has received over 4,200 complaints so far, so you are not alone.

    L & I Bellevue is 425-990-1400

    https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2a4bfdf

  13. #27988
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Burning question ... what does a lame duck Trump admin look like? What appointments or laws will he and an outgoing (?) repub senate majority try to ram through?
    Without the house, why would Trump be able to do anything that he can't do right now? He can try more executive orders but those are unlikely to hold up in court (regardless of whether ACB gets confirmed or not).

  14. #27989
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    12,403
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The administration's. The plan from day one has been "it is what it is."
    Stephen Miller's, that creep.

  15. #27990
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Delta County is even worse. One popular liquor store just straight up is defying the county and state orders. Zero masks.
    The divide in mask wearing between urban/rural Colorado (also a proxy for conservative/liberal) is so stark.
    Near my home (east Denver) it's nearly universal masks everywhere (been months since I saw someone in a store without one).
    Near my work (Berthoud) it's nearly universal no masks. Most of the businesses require them for employees but generally they don't enforce for customers and people aren't very good at wearing them.
    Funny how my wife and every other employee at her hospital can wear masks for 12 hours straight no problem, but not a single one of my 20 coworkers can manage to keep theirs on for more than 30 seconds at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  16. #27991
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Without the house, why would Trump be able to do anything that he can't do right now? He can try more executive orders but those are unlikely to hold up in court (regardless of whether ACB gets confirmed or not).
    Every time I think he's reached bottom in terms of being self-serving, petty and vindictive, he proves me wrong. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if he plans to burn it to the ground as he marches to FL. It's why I asked the q.

  17. #27992
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    14,072
    what are the chances he asks barr to surveil the biden campaign?
    (if he hasn't already)

  18. #27993
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    a poop plant
    Posts
    3,017
    At my work, there's a clear line between the offices and the blue collar areas. Go into the Engineering Office and there are masks, signs everywhere, 6 foot floor markings at the front counter etc... Go into the Maintenance Building and there are 15 guys sitting around a table in the breakroom sans masks. It's just a matter of time until we have a super spreader event over there. I just hide in my office with the door closed all day.

    I saw a guy in Safeway last weekend with a mesh mask. Yes, a fucking mask made of mesh with holes about the size of trucker hat mesh. And he had that non-masker look on his face that says, "Go ahead, say something about my mask."

  19. #27994
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,660

    Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    You work in King County, which has likely handled the virus better than any other metro area in the US, and not coincidentally, is possibly the most liberal large county in the US. It is ridiculous if there is a government entity in King County who is not abiding by the governor's order, and this should be addressed. Not for your safety, alone, but the safety of us all.

    Call L & I's Bellevue office and tell them about this. You do not have to provide your name, just your employer's name. There is no way your employer can track your complaint back to you (if you call in the complaint rather than email, and refuse to give your name). L & I will contact your employer and explain the rules and repercussions for not following the rules. L & I notes that they have imposed fines on businesses for not following the rules, but they believe most are able to fully comply with the order once L & I explains that to management. L & I has received over 4,200 complaints so far, so you are not alone.

    L & I Bellevue is 425-990-1400

    https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2a4bfdf
    But if he reports it and itís addressed then he canít complain about it anymore.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  20. #27995
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    3,303
    Update from salt lake, a friend who is a doctor sent a text reading,

    "I really hate to be a wet blanket. Just following up on patients from my last shift. All are going downhill. 2 are going to die.

    Looking at the ED today, people are pouring in. 3 people in the ED as we speak between 30 and 33 are headed to the icu sick as hell. Zero medical history between them.

    Also got an email today that hospital is at capacity and we have to start transferring admits.

    Hate to say it because I know we are all fatigued with this but now is the time to get vigilant. Everything before in my opinion is small time. Just now getting going."

    Stay safe people. Wear masks. Keep your distance. Avoid crowds.

    sent from Utah.
    sigless.

  21. #27996
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Update from salt lake, a friend who is a doctor sent a text reading,

    "I really hate to be a wet blanket. Just following up on patients from my last shift. All are going downhill. 2 are going to die.

    Looking at the ED today, people are pouring in. 3 people in the ED as we speak between 30 and 33 are headed to the icu sick as hell. Zero medical history between them.

    Also got an email today that hospital is at capacity and we have to start transferring admits.

    Hate to say it because I know we are all fatigued with this but now is the time to get vigilant. Everything before in my opinion is small time. Just now getting going."

    Stay safe people. Wear masks. Keep your distance. Avoid crowds.

    sent from Utah.
    The worst part of my current situation is that I am traveling back and forth between SLC and rural anti-mask small town CO 2x/month for the next 3-4 months. I'm super concerned about being a spreader. I'm trying to minimize stops while traveling and being as responsible as possible, but it really makes me nervous. My wife is also starting a new home health job and apparently that health care system is lax with PPE...

    I know, probably shouldn't have moved during a pandemic. Its something we discussed before hand but my job situation was going to be different. I'm hoping I can go full remote sooner than later.

  22. #27997
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Update from salt lake, a friend who is a doctor sent a text reading,

    "I really hate to be a wet blanket. Just following up on patients from my last shift. All are going downhill. 2 are going to die.

    Looking at the ED today, people are pouring in. 3 people in the ED as we speak between 30 and 33 are headed to the icu sick as hell. Zero medical history between them.

    Also got an email today that hospital is at capacity and we have to start transferring admits.

    Hate to say it because I know we are all fatigued with this but now is the time to get vigilant. Everything before in my opinion is small time. Just now getting going."

    Stay safe people. Wear masks. Keep your distance. Avoid crowds.

    sent from Utah.
    The main IMC hub went on trauma divert a few nights ago because they had nowhere to stick patients and had to push all incoming trauma to other hospitals. Ms Boissal said it's happened twice in the 5 years she's been there. It's not all due to COVID patients but it doesn't bode well for the next few weeks.

    Meanwhile at work I'm continuing to get comments from my coworkers whenever I step outside of my office with a mask on. "Should I be worried?" is the main one. Nope, just being careful, as I've been for the past 4 months, you'd think people would be used to it by now... Half of them live in UT county and have kids or family with kids @ BYU. They all claim that they've had it or it's not a big deal depending on the day. My boss' brother tested positive a couple months ago and had to quarantine with the whole family. Boss would come in with a mask, take it off after a minute and forget about it. Yesterday he assured me Trump had been swabbed and no live virus had been found so clearly he had recovered, the disease wasn't a big deal, and the Regeneron Ab treatment was a miracle cure from Jeebus. Full acceptance of the narrative, no questions asked. I love the guy but we're part of a biotech incubator, clearly everyone's steeped in the field and knows better, so wtf are they all thinking? There's only 1 other person who's been consistently masked at work. Everyone else will begrudgingly wear a mask if we have visitors from Cali but that's about it (and bitch about the the fudging liberals once they're gone).
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  23. #27998
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,502
    ^on the bright side, my wife no longer works inpatient at the hospital so her exposure risks and stress levels are both WAY lower.

  24. #27999
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    21,173
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The divide in mask wearing between urban/rural Colorado (also a proxy for conservative/liberal) is so stark.
    Near my home (east Denver) it's nearly universal masks everywhere (been months since I saw someone in a store without one).
    Near my work (Berthoud) it's nearly universal no masks. Most of the businesses require them for employees but generally they don't enforce for customers and people aren't very good at wearing them.
    Funny how my wife and every other employee at her hospital can wear masks for 12 hours straight no problem, but not a single one of my 20 coworkers can manage to keep theirs on for more than 30 seconds at a time.
    I was in Montana over the weekend and it was a little shocking to see so little mask wearing. I went into a grocery store and hardly any of the customers were wearing masks. Luckily at least the employees were.

  25. #28000
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    5,917
    So my kid was doing COVID testing for the VP debates. Guess which side had trouble locating their tonsils and was surly about it.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •