Page 1076 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 ... LastLast
Results 26,876 to 26,900 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It’s baffling as fuck.
    I find solace in the conservative sites like the Bulwark. They’re attempting to hold on to those core principles. Like honoring those who sacrificed so much while serving in military. How did the GOP end up with someone who insults Gold Star families, POWs, and the ‘suckers and losers’ who died overseas?

I consider it a civic duty to get the Covid vaccine at the appropriate time. Vaccines can never be 100% perfect. Suck it up buttercup. Greater good and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Why is it so wrong to simply acknowledge that everyone has different risk factors as we try and figure things out? Different people, different environments, etc. all can have different calculations.
    Pretty sure many of us have attempted to explain why and you seem completely unwilling to listen.

Brainerd MN high school goes into emergency shutdown two weeks after opening due to widespread COVID outbreak.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Brainerd MN high school goes into emergency shutdown two weeks after opening due to widespread COVID outbreak.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yah?
    Oh my! You’re darn tootin!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4005.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	341075

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I find solace in the conservative sites like the Bulwark. They’re attempting to hold on to those core principles. Like honoring those who sacrificed so much while serving in military. How did the GOP end up with someone who insults Gold Star families, POWs, and the ‘suckers and losers’ who died overseas?

I consider it a civic duty to get the Covid vaccine at the appropriate time. Vaccines can never be 100% perfect. Suck it up buttercup. Greater good and all that.
    2020 is deconstructing a lot of people. I have a friend who once understood the inextricable link between freedom and responsibility but now argues for universally eliminating liability because "no one takes responsibility for anything anyway!" Next stop nihilism. I'm just glad he doesn't own swords.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    It was his use of the word cunt, mirite?
    Bang on huck, my friend.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Coworker in Davis, CA with 17yo that has symptoms that match covid, smoke exposure problems, or a cold takes his kid to his doctor and doctor will not give or recommend Covid test because the teen doesn’t meet the criteria (fever). Coworker goes to a different doctor and doctor refers for covid test. Results not available yet. But what the fuck!!??

You really need an appointment, insurance, or a referral to get tested where you live? That is fucked.

Finland is using covid sniffing dogs at the airport. Why don't we all just get one and this whole pandemic will be solved?

We found delays and problems when getting a test for my wife after direct exposure with her grade teacher mate, inside her school - who had covid. Shut the school down for hazmat clean. Couldn’t get a test until 5 days post exposure at several places we contact. This was a month ago.
    Came back negative. The teachers were having group meeting, masked, discussing the start of school. All exposed teachers came back negative. Chalk one up for masks?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Finland is using covid sniffing dogs at the airport. Why don't we all just get one and this whole pandemic will be solved?
    Better yet, covid sniffing attack dogs--GSD's, Dobermans, Akitas

My wife broke her arm nearly 2 years ago. It didn't heal straight which should have been caught when it would have been easy to fix with surgery. Last January she had a very complicated operation to try and straighten the arm and she isn't healing well. She has an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow with another set of xrays. She really wants me to go but Kaiser's policy is only the patient can go to a clinic appointment. I don't get it--whatever I have she has and whatever she catches at Kaiser I catch. The place is nearly empty so I don't understand the point of not letting me come with her.

My family is looking for a Covid sniffing medium-sized nonherding breed. Must be a good swimmer, good with other dogs and children, and tolerant of cats.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    We found delays and problems when getting a test for my wife after direct exposure with her grade teacher mate, inside her school - who had covid. Shut the school down for hazmat clean. Couldn’t get a test until 5 days post exposure at several places we contact. This was a month ago.
    Came back negative. The teachers were having group meeting, masked, discussing the start of school. All exposed teachers came back negative. Chalk one up for masks?
    FKNA yes, masks. The longer this goes the more I think if we just hadn't been lied to it would be half or less and we could just be normal+masks by now.

I'm hearing lots of these stories, especially from the hoaxer friends who want to say it's not actually contagious because they know 3 people who brought it to work and didn't share. Wearing masks? Oh, well, yeah, everyone was masked. More effective than a vaccine is starting to sound reasonable.

And here’s a kicker. The positive teacher was asymptomatic and only tested in order to see an older relative. Otherwise she would’ve unknowingly gone about her life. And in this case was discovered Monday eve of a planned week full of teachers having collective discussions on how to go about their business. Could you imagine if over that week the virus spread to 20-30 teachers or something. All their families. Periodic testing has to be part of a the venn as well.

Except when they all remove their masks to eat lunch together in the break room or in the classroom with their students and teaching aids.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Better yet, covid sniffing attack dogs--GSD's, Dobermans, Akitas

My wife broke her arm nearly 2 years ago. It didn't heal straight which should have been caught when it would have been easy to fix with surgery. Last January she had a very complicated operation to try and straighten the arm and she isn't healing well. She has an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow with another set of xrays. She really wants me to go but Kaiser's policy is only the patient can go to a clinic appointment. I don't get it--whatever I have she has and whatever she catches at Kaiser I catch. The place is nearly empty so I don't understand the point of not letting me come with her.
    Had a similar Doc visit with my wife and she needed my input on important medical decisions. When checking in, she simply told the front desk that she needed me to also be in the discussion with the Doc regarding options. We received no push back from anyone .

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

So I'll play along with Austin's position that as one with a higher risk I should just stay isolated. Not a huge issue, I'm an introvert and very happy being home with my wife. Been doing it fine for 6 months and I can continue. I'm immune compromised and at a higher risk so I'm motivated to stay safe.

Let's a take a look at what that means to the economy returning to normal. We are DINKs in our early 50s making good money. It's piling up in the bank now. A combination of not spending and saving in case one of our jobs is impacted. A usual summer includes a week in Tahoe, a week somewhere else and multiple weekend trips. I love gadgets so trips involve shopping and spending. This summer it's been local camping trips where we cook all our own meals. Really minimal money going into the economy.

Now if you look at how many in the US are immuno compromised or have other chronic conditions and ask them to stay home how do you think that's going to help the recovery? Over 40% of the US is obese and high risk. If we have 40-50 percent of the US not fully participating in the economy how are we going to recover?

Instead of being a selfish pick, there's some easy steps to help prevent the spread of the virus, masks are a prime example. I'm not resuming my normal spending habits until I'm safe. The economy isn't going to recover until people like me feel safe.

And a final word of caution to those that feel they are perfectly healthy. I was that way as well. Until I was 38 I don't think I'd missed more than a couple of days of work due to sickness, just a few to hangovers! Turns out that my amazing immune system that could fend off anything went into hyper drive for some reason and started destroying healthy cells. This disease is unpredictable and who knows how your "healthy" body will react.

/rant off.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    And here’s a kicker. The positive teacher was asymptomatic and only tested in order to see an older relative. Otherwise she would’ve unknowingly gone about her life. And in this case was discovered Monday eve of a planned week full of teachers having collective discussions on how to go about their business. Could you imagine if over that week the virus spread to 20-30 teachers or something. All their families. Periodic testing has to be part of a the venn as well.
    Just like we have mountains of success stories for masks, for proof that testing works we have pro sports. The tests aren't perfect, but giving them often seems to be working for a pretty decent-sized sample of people.

I still expect the NFL to have a problem at some point, just because it's a big, somewhat diverse organization. And the better it works the more complacent people get, so a false negative could make this look like the Maginot Line, but hopefully not. Yes it's poor priorities, but in some ways not--if they make it to cooler weather and mask up the players the NFL could win the public relations battle that "our leaders" shrink from fighting. There's a huge value in demonstrating the fact that herd mentality isn't the only end to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Is it really possible not to understand that the risk of becoming a transmitter is just as high for everyone? He claims to want to discuss different risks but his whole premise is the falsehood that the only risk that matters is the one to oneself.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ...and because well all.have different risk factors we have to accommodate those with higher risks then ourselves. In other words for the simpletons, we have to think of others, not just ourselves.
    And what about other bugs like MRSA? Seems that one was pretty serious, massively spread, gnarly fatality rates, and the future is looking REALLY scary in regard to drug-resistant variants. https://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/healthcare/index.html https://www.wired.com/2014/12/oneill-rpt-amr/

I understand what you guys are getting at, but it's not a sustainable premise IMO. It's been the better part of the year of this nonsense and at SOME point, we need to start having a serious conversation about letting the gears of the machine start spinning again more freely WHILE also trying to protect the most vulnerable. We can't keep on acting like everyone's at the same level of risk. That attitude is absurd and just plain false. If it's the "asymptomatic super spreaders" that you're worried about then just say that without having to get into scare tactics about ALL of us being so vulnerable like some here have attempted to do.

Back in March, everyone was saying "Just gotta flatten the curve. Flatten that curve. Just gonna be a few weeks, guys. We're all in this together. Flatten the curve." Well we did just that, quite effectively, yet so many are basically advocating for infinite lockdowns. Many of whom of course get to work from home, are retired, or are in much better financial shape than those of us who got totally screwed over by this thing.

Seems there has to be some solid common ground we can all agree on. So let's start from that, build on it, and go from there. Maybe how about we simply start with being nicer to each other. Getting through this together won't do us any good if we're completely divided when we get to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Seems there has to be some solid common ground we can all agree on.
    Sure. Wear a fucking mask...

Oh, wait.

Well, we can't agree on wearing masks despite its low cost to implement and overall efficacy.

Kaiser Health News pegs the vulnerable population at 105 million, or a third of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Well, we can't agree on wearing masks despite its low cost to implement and overall efficacy.

Kaiser Health News pegs the vulnerable population at 105 million, or a third of the country.
    Probably have deadly pre-existing conditions such as asthma.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Probably have such deadly pre-existing conditions such as asthma.
    Everyone with asthma is going to die anyway. Living with asthma is not sustainable.

New cases now up 13% over 14 days. Remember how the experts said we can expect a series of peaks and valleys with this pandemic? Seems like they were correct about that, but I think most people assumed those peaks would get lower and instead it seems like they're getting higher. Ski season could be interesting for lack of a better word.