Page 577 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 ... LastLast
Results 14,401 to 14,425 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    We own you, motherfucker.
    I am not sure why you get so bent out of shape about comments related to NYC. I thought you were in CT?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Compared to Taiwan and HK NY is a filthy disgusting hive of scum.
    We own you, motherfucker.
    Weird flexes, bros.

"Among the many mysteries of Covid-19 is why relatively healthy young people suddenly become critically ill — or die."

Huh? 47 is young now? WTF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US COVID Death Demographic Graph.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	326020

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The first one would seem to confirm that the virus is more easily transmissible than had been thought but at a 4% infection rate it's hardly reason to be optimistic. Plus I just read a post from Huckbucket that there were issues with how it was done in the first place. The second one has serious selection bias issues and is useless for modeling.
    Yup.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1251332447691628545
    https://twitter.com/PeterKolchinsky/...85935994740736

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    "Among the many mysteries of Covid-19 is why relatively healthy young people suddenly become critically ill — or die."

To die from something like this? Yes, it's young.

Chinese Rat Flu

So these twitter threads seems to be mostly about the Santa Clara co study. Do the same issues apply to the LA Co study?

^ So far, the LA Co study is just a press release. The release says they used the same test kits as the Santa Clara co study.

This is what the release says about the study's limitations: On the one hand, our estimated prevalence could be biased upwards if those who had a higher risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection were more likely to participate. On the other hand, our results would be biased downward if those who had symptoms consistent with COVID-19 isolated themselves and did not participate. New data on specificity and sensitivity of the test kits would also influence results; a lower sensitivity would imply higher prevalence, and lower specificity would imply lower prevalence.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    To die from something like this? Yes, it's young.
    Being just barely 49, I'd agree. 47 is young.

And villany. You can't forget that.

Yes 47 is young.

Asshole

Not sure I follow the 25K figures on this chart. What is the scope of this versus the 42,500 from this site:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

You're bang on re:stress.

Estimates are that 500,000 people died early from the financial meltdown primarily due to stress based acceleration of other diseases.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ccording-to-l/

So yeah the cure is looking to be worse than the disease for C19.
    The article--at last the part I could read--says that the deaths were due to cancer due loss of access to healthcare due to unemployment and loss of insurance and cuts in healthcare spending.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Yes 47 is young.

Asshole

Take a quick tour of HK and get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    ^ So far, the LA Co study is just a press release. The release says they used the same test kits as the Santa Clara co study.

This is what the release says about the study's limitations: On the one hand, our estimated prevalence could be biased upwards if those who had a higher risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection were more likely to participate. On the other hand, our results would be biased downward if those who had symptoms consistent with COVID-19 isolated themselves and did not participate. New data on specificity and sensitivity of the test kits would also influence results; a lower sensitivity would imply higher prevalence, and lower specificity would imply lower prevalence.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The article--at last the part I could read--says that the deaths were due to cancer due loss of access to healthcare due to unemployment and loss of insurance and cuts in healthcare spending.

This dives in a bit deeper

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...102-6/fulltext

cunt

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    cunt
    And villany.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    This is also true. However, I also realize someone has to get in the water first. It's fine if you decide you don't want to, but if you're a barber in Utah and you've only had a few hundred cases in the state, I understand if you think you are ready to take the risk, put on a mask and take the risk. I know if I had no saving, a rent payment and a wife and kids that needed me, I'd be cutting hair with a mask and face shield for now.
    I do think so many people are scared but I all I am saying is that I understand the pressure is mounting and mounting quick.
    Excellent point... but my barber is 70yo and doesn't want to bring the virus home. I talked to him about selling gift certificates, and he was thrilled at the idea. Of course, I tend to misplace those...

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 1.43.20 PM.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	326043

I stuck this on FB, emailed a bunch of local friends and just put it on the local "next door neighbor" page. Maybe do it for your guy?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

20 years ago Villainous Cunts would have been a good punk band name, not sure it would fly now. Maybe in 2 years, depending on apocalyptic progression.

Absurd Case against the Coronavirus Lockdown

The more effective the efforts have been, the more opposed the critics are to them.
    An irony of the coronavirus debate is that the more successful lockdowns are in squelching the disease, the more vulnerable they will be to attack as unnecessary in the first place.

A growing chorus on the right is slamming the shutdowns as an overreaction and agitating to end them. A good example of the genre is an op-ed co-authored by former Education Secretary William Bennett and talk-radio host Seth Leibsohn. It is titled, tendentiously and not very accurately, “Coronavirus Lessons: Fact and Reason vs. Paranoia and Fear.”

They cite an estimate that the current outbreak will kill 68,000 Americans. Then, they note that about 60,000 people died of the flu in 2017-18. For this, they thunder, we’ve imposed huge economic and social costs on the country?

This is obviously a deeply flawed way of looking at it.

If we are going to have 60,000 deaths with people not leaving their homes for more than a month, the number of deaths obviously would have been higher — much higher — if everyone had gone about business as usual. We didn’t lock down the country to try to prevent 60,000 deaths; we locked down the country to limit deaths to 60,000 (or whatever the ultimate toll is).

By Bennett and Leibsohn’s logic, we could just as easily ask: Why did we adopt tough-on-crime policies when crime rates are at historic lows? Why did we work to find a treatment for HIV/AIDs when so many of the people with the disease now have normal life expectancies?

Of course, it was precisely the actions we took that caused those welcome outcomes.

Consider the perversity of their reasoning a different way. If we had shut down the country a month sooner and there had been, say, only 2,000 deaths, then on their terms they’d have an even stronger argument, i.e., “We did all this, and there were only a couple of thousand fatalities?”

In other words, the more effective a lockdown would have been, the more opposed Bennett and Leibsohn would be to it.

As for the flu comparison, it isn’t as telling as Bennett and Leibsohn believe. The 2017-18 season, with 60,000 flu-related deaths, was particularly bad. But the coronavirus might kill a similar number — with the country on lockdown.

In the 2011-12 season, 12,000 people died of the flu in the entire country. New York alone has eclipsed that in a little more than a month (again, while on lockdown). In 2018-19, there were 34,000 flu-related deaths in the U.S. We’ve already surpassed that number nationally (yet again, while on lockdown).

Why have people reacted so dramatically to this virus? Bennett and Leibsohn have a theory: “New York City is where the epidemic has struck the hardest. The media is centered in New York City.”

New York certainly gets disproportionate media attention, but it is also, as all of us had no hesitation recognizing on Sept. 11, 2001, part of America.

If the disease struck smaller heartland cities such as Omaha and Wichita, would Bennett and Leibsohn hope that the story got ignored?

Bennett and Leibsohn neglect the key fact that the economy began to shut down before there were widespread official orders. People voted with their feet because they were fearful of a highly transmissible, virulent disease. And they acted rationally. If everything had gone on as normal, the outbreak would have been worse, and we would have eventually had shutdowns anyway.

The most objectionable part of the Bennett and Leibsohn posture is its sneering attitude toward “frenzied, panicked” ordinary Americans who have sacrificed so much to protect their families and co-workers (and complete strangers).

By all means, let’s open up the economy as soon as we can, but it will require more careful thought than the most fervent critics of the shutdowns have demonstrated during the peak of this pandemic.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Excellent point... but my barber is 70yo and doesn't want to bring the virus home. I talked to him about selling gift certificates, and he was thrilled at the idea. Of course, I tend to misplace those...

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 1.43.20 PM.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	326043

I stuck this on FB, emailed a bunch of local friends and just put it on the local "next door neighbor" page. Maybe do it for your guy?
    That's really cool, BD.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Could they make up their fucking minds? Jesus...
    "The Justice Department will consider taking legal action against governors who continue to impose stringent rules for dealing with the coronavirus that infringe on constitutional rights even after the crisis subsides in their states, Attorney General William Barr said."
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-virus-limits

I found it interesting that from age 35 and up, the Covid deaths were about the same percentage of total deaths in each age group. (2-3%) Make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    And villany. You can't forget that.

Villainy comes from being a financial center. Filthy doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Feel free to compare and contrast with law enforcement agencies & elected officials who refuse to enforce immigration laws. Won't even go into states that allow the sale of pot, in spite of federal laws.

Just so I can form some cliff notes for my memory, you are all for it when cops and politicians ignore drug and immigration laws, but think it's REALLY bad if/when a LEO ignores a gun law (that may or may not even be Constitutional)? Interesting.
    I don't like him ignoring mandates from our governor that are put in place to protect the health of the populace of Washington state.

Cannabis is legal in our state as voted on by the people and ratified by the Governor.

Limiting cooperation with the national government's effort to enforce immigration law is also something mandated by our Governor and expressly allowed by the 10th Amendment.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism