Page 375 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 ... LastLast
Results 9,351 to 9,375 of 41810
    Make friends and be nice to your neighbors. You're likely going to need each others help before this is all over. My hood is pretty much all ex Navy pilots, money managers and a few lawyers. I am good friends with the ex Navy guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Could be the best meme yet
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    If any of this shit is true, then when we start peaking, people will go full retard. Let’s just say, it might have been a good week to dump your stocks.

A week ago I was still telling people “no”. No I’m going to go to dinner with a friend etc. now those people are cracking. People will continue to crack.

It’s just the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Mitigating factors on the near term horizon include the continued increasing in testing (hundreds of thousands/day) to include asymptomatic people and data from ongoing clinical trials (more than 300 in progress with early results coming out in ~3 weeks). If any of the clinical trials cuts the death rate to somewhere near influenza, then all of this changes on the timeline needed to get the drug(s) ramped up and into practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Except I do get it.
    I disagree. Ask yourself why Trump backed off. Some of the reasons are that he lacks the authority, that it would be impossible to enforce, that it would be extremely resource-intensive to even try, and the fact that the virus is already everywhere. It's not "coming from New York" to where you live, it's already there.

The cat has been out of the bag since January 20, when both the US and South Korea had case #1 and they did something and we did nothing. Now it's everywhere. Drop a nuke on New York today and it won't affect your ultimate local rate of coronavirus infection. Until there's a vaccine it's all local and personal. Worry about that, not what others are doing.

^make it sound like that old sci-fi movie the Blob (I think). I suppose it is in many ways. How did that movie end?

Steve McQueen won.

The thing about hoarding is that it's self perpetuating. You see shelves empty you buy more of what you can. You see a line you get in it. The people who come later see the shelves empty and they're in the line the next morning. The empty shelves won't stop until people believe this thing is nearly over.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Was this Saturday? Which store?
    Somers Thursday afternoon then early Friday morning.

Day 7 of self quarantine in our sunroom.

I'd been in Switzerland when things started getting crazy in Italy and the European countries started to shut down.

We'd been in Klosters/Davos, skied some heavy pow there and then harvested corn on the southern slopes for 3 days. @vendul came over from Rueras, Tujetsch and picked us up and we caravanned with @nordekette from Klosters to Rueras. That day was when the Swiss federal government strongly suggested the shut down.

Switzerland Cantons are given a lot of autonomy and the ski areas have a lot of clout as they drive so much of the local economies. As the evening progressed, there were myriad reports of things getting closed, being open, limitations on the number of people in the cable cars. Some areas, like Engelberg and St. Moritz, claimed the hey were going to be open in the face of the shutdown. So we hoped that SkiArena/Andermatt would stay open. Most people had flocked to the airports, trying to get home. I figured the best option was to wait it out a little bit until the hysteria had died down and see how things shook out.

The next day, a bunch of us hopped the cog train from Rueras to the Oberalpppass at 2050 m of elevation, skied down to the start of the Maigels valley and toured up to the Maigelshutte. It was a glorious day, mostly blue skies with corn ripening on the southern exposures and firm snow on the North. The cog trains only run from Disentis, a mile East of Rueras, over the Oberalppass and down to Andermatt, then Goeschenen. So they were kind of isolated from the normal routes.

We stopped at the Maigelshutte, still open since the edict had not yet come down to close the restaurants, and had a beer and some snacks. After an hour or so there, we continued up a fairly steep skin track to the Piz Cavadri at 2600 meters. We skied a NE exposure on firm snow down to Tchmut at around 1600m.

That afternoon, we thought of splitting for France which hadn't gone into lockdown. But that was shortlived and France shut everything down that evening, so the only remaining option was to leverage the cog railways which were running empty with no conductors checking tickets.

So we did.

In any public space, I kept gloves on and was aware of what I was touching. I'd use hand sanitizer and put the gloves on in the train. Some days we'd ride the trains, skin up somewhere, ski down to another trainstop, get back on and ride to another highpoint. Some of the best laps were riding to the Oberalppass, skinning up Piz Calmut at 2300m and then ripping fantastic sweet corn turns down to Tchmut where we'd board the cogtrain again and ride over to Natchen where we could ski down into Andermatt and hit the grocery store there for sandwiches and beer.

@carvehard read that Paris was going into lockdown and wisely split, reporting that he rode trains all the way from Rueras to Paris without having his ticket checked. Once there, he forwarded information that the US state department had given immediate notice to return or risk being blocked.

That night, trying to get a response from airlines was futile, getting bullshit "we'll call you back" stuff on the phone, or calls ending and no response from email or web queries. I finally got In touch with my US ticket agents who couldn't do anything but advise us to go to the ticket counters in Zurich where EU regulations required them to get us on flights.

So we did that and secured a room for the night with flights going out the next day. But in the course of that evening, I had my flight cancelled twice over email with no response coming from phone or email queries again.

Back to the airport at 4:45 the next morning, secured a flight Zurich->O'Hare->SeaTac, coordinating with my wife to clear out the sunroom and fix up a bed there where I could isolate from the family for 2 weeks.

Day 7, depending on handoffs of food and water and coordinating unlocking the garage so I could use that entrance to get into the bathroom. I spend days sprinkling super hot pepper powder on the seedlings I've planted (I have around 100 of them now) since this is the season when the deer will kill them by browsing, poking at the garden between spates of rain and filling potholes in the driveway. It figures' were' getting our late season pow dumps, like 2+ feet over this week and I know I shouldn't go.

Another week and the I can at least cook for my family again, do some more local bikerides and walks. I hope this has provided some diversion.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    R u sure?

Lots of smoke being blown up our asses lately
    People go on ventilators early in the process of care because a ventilator is safer for the care giver. Regular oxygen to a patient has fumes excess from the oxygen that can infect the caregiver

I hope you are nicer and more together in person than you come across on here because the media has bias because they report things that subject matter experts and government officials are saying is really fucked in this time of crisis

It's not just hoarding that's stressing food markets. It's this enormous shift from prepared, restaraunt food to cooking at home, I'll bet. It's a total shock to our food system. Millions and millions who didn't cook and got their food from a window or an app or just went out to Applebee's all the time now have to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It's not just hoarding that's stressing food markets. It's this enormous shift from prepared, restaraunt food to cooking at home, I'll bet. It's a total shock to our food system. Millions and millions who didn't cook and got their food from a window or an app or just went out to Applebee's all the time now have to shop.
    Yeah, and the whole supply chain that was geared toward supplying restaurants a certain amount is now having to shift to packaging and selling more to consumers. For instance, a big ass can of tomato paste sold to the Italian restaurant isn't selling, now it needs to be in a totally different package to get it into the consumer's hands.

Everything is on sale at our local grocery store though. 50% off a ton of stuff. We just place an order online and they bring it out to our car. Shoulda been doing it this way for years!

Curbside pickup is a 2-4 day delay depending on which market and delivery is that long or longer. We tried and had to turn down half of what they brought which meant going to the store to return it. The meat was all fatty crap and the veggies were brown and mushy.

Yeah, I'll pick out my own produce.

Consumers bringing food into their house and returning? What could go wrong?
    I’m wiping everything I buy with soapy water. Dunking if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Breaking news: according to Governor Cuomo, "Upstate New York" is the entire state except NYC, Long Island and Westchester County.
    This has been discussed - and yes, he is right

No one should be allowed in a grocery store without a mask. Since there are no masks we all starve. Wait, I have it. Put masks at the door--put one on when you enter, remove it when you leave so the next person can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Day 7 of self quarantine in our sunroom.

I'd been in Switzerland when things started getting crazy in Italy and the European countries started to shut down.

We'd been in Klosters/Davos, skied some heavy pow there and then harvested corn on the southern slopes for 3 days. @vendul came over from Rueras, Tujetsch and picked us up and we caravanned with @nordekette from Klosters to Rueras. That day was when the Swiss federal government strongly suggested the shut down.

Switzerland Cantons are given a lot of autonomy and the ski areas have a lot of clout as they drive so much of the local economies. As the evening progressed, there were myriad reports of things getting closed, being open, limitations on the number of people in the cable cars. Some areas, like Engelberg and St. Moritz, claimed the hey were going to be open in the face of the shutdown. So we hoped that SkiArena/Andermatt would stay open. Most people had flocked to the airports, trying to get home. I figured the best option was to wait it out a little bit until the hysteria had died down and see how things shook out.

The next day, a bunch of us hopped the cog train from Rueras to the Oberalpppass at 2050 m of elevation, skied down to the start of the Maigels valley and toured up to the Maigelshutte. It was a glorious day, mostly blue skies with corn ripening on the southern exposures and firm snow on the North. The cog trains only run from Disentis, a mile East of Rueras, over the Oberalppass and down to Andermatt, then Goeschenen. So they were kind of isolated from the normal routes.

We stopped at the Maigelshutte, still open since the edict had not yet come down to close the restaurants, and had a beer and some snacks. After an hour or so there, we continued up a fairly steep skin track to the Piz Cavadri at 2600 meters. We skied a NE exposure on firm snow down to Tchmut at around 1600m.

That afternoon, we thought of splitting for France which hadn't gone into lockdown. But that was shortlived and France shut everything down that evening, so the only remaining option was to leverage the cog railways which were running empty with no conductors checking tickets.

So we did.

In any public space, I kept gloves on and was aware of what I was touching. I'd use hand sanitizer and put the gloves on in the train. Some days we'd ride the trains, skin up somewhere, ski down to another trainstop, get back on and ride to another highpoint. Some of the best laps were riding to the Oberalppass, skinning up Piz Calmut at 2300m and then ripping fantastic sweet corn turns down to Tchmut where we'd board the cogtrain again and ride over to Natchen where we could ski down into Andermatt and hit the grocery store there for sandwiches and beer.

@carvehard read that Paris was going into lockdown and wisely split, reporting that he rode trains all the way from Rueras to Paris without having his ticket checked. Once there, he forwarded information that the US state department had given immediate notice to return or risk being blocked.

That night, trying to get a response from airlines was futile, getting bullshit "we'll call you back" stuff on the phone, or calls ending and no response from email or web queries. I finally got In touch with my US ticket agents who couldn't do anything but advise us to go to the ticket counters in Zurich where EU regulations required them to get us on flights.

So we did that and secured a room for the night with flights going out the next day. But in the course of that evening, I had my flight cancelled twice over email with no response coming from phone or email queries again.

Back to the airport at 4:45 the next morning, secured a flight Zurich->O'Hare->SeaTac, coordinating with my wife to clear out the sunroom and fix up a bed there where I could isolate from the family for 2 weeks.

Day 7, depending on handoffs of food and water and coordinating unlocking the garage so I could use that entrance to get into the bathroom. I spend days sprinkling super hot pepper powder on the seedlings I've planted (I have around 100 of them now) since this is the season when the deer will kill them by browsing, poking at the garden between spates of rain and filling potholes in the driveway. It figures' were' getting our late season pow dumps, like 2+ feet over this week and I know I shouldn't go.

Another week and the I can at least cook for my family again, do some more local bikerides and walks. I hope this has provided some diversion.
    Hey Buster, have you looked at the estimates on appearance of symptoms? I did after returning and at least then most sources I could find said symptoms usually appeared in about 5 days. I’m not saying go kiss your kids (or lift quarantine at all) but just trying to provide some comfort that you are probably going to be clear for now anyway. FWIW, no symptoms here and I’ve been back 16 days now so you didn’t catch it from me!

My wife has been going to the stores with a mask and gloves for over 2 weeks now.
    She also supplies her 90 year old dad and 88 year old mom and uses extreme care.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Hey Buster, have you looked at the estimates on appearance of symptoms? I did after returning and at least then most sources I could find said symptoms usually appeared in about 5 days. I’m not saying go kiss your kids (or lift quarantine at all) but just trying to provide some comfort that you are probably going to be clear for now anyway. FWIW, no symptoms here and I’ve been back 16 days now so you didn’t catch it from me!
    Yup, the statistics say 3-14 day incubation. 5 days is the median incubation period (50% likely no infection), 14 days is 97% likely.

I'm going for 14 days just to be sure.

I had a fucking blast. I hope I can afford it again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    No one should be allowed in a grocery store without a mask. Since there are no masks we all starve. Wait, I have it. Put masks at the door--put one on when you enter, remove it when you leave so the next person can use it.
    Member when bar bathrooms had those cloth towels in the rolling wall mounted bracket? I was going to search for an image and then decided that would be funny but a waste of time. I think I’ve only seen a couple in real life ever. I think El Chapultepec had one back in the 90’s.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post

As long as we still recognize that western NY is anything to the left of Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post

Well, he is from Queens.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Not to be chicken little, but is anyone else concerned about food shortages as factories, manufacturers, farms, bakeries, meat processing plants, and all other parts of the supply chain get disrupted?
    Someone has to make everything in the stores...
    shop the outer isles.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Member when bar bathrooms had those cloth towels in the rolling wall mounted bracket? I was going to search for an image and then decided that would be funny but a waste of time. I think I’ve only seen a couple in real life ever. I think El Chapultepec had one back in the 90’s.
    Holy crap that was unhygienic.
    I always assumed wen the end of the clean towel was reached it stopped dispensing
    . . .