Page 1461 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 ... LastLast
Results 36,501 to 36,525 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Assuming the virus arose in nature and was collected by the Wuhan lab which scenario is more likely--the virus leaked from a level 4 biocontainment lab or was spread by one or more poor Laotian guano collectors or miners, in a remote part of Laos without the capacity to recognize a novel disease?
    ya but where is the conspiracy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I got your conspiracy. Clearly those dastardly* Wuhan virologists created human SARS2, then created several bat variant precursors, and released them all. Or maybe it was the Russians, releasing it in China. Or... it was the Clintons did it with the Soros money in Laos.

* Since we make other unfounded accusations, anything goes.

I knew we could get there. High5!

Half effort to make up for shitposting today. Though arguably it's still a shitpost as there's 1000s of studies and I'm not qualified to pick one. I saw this on TWiV
    https://web.cels.anl.gov/~cgraziani/vax_vs_delta.pdf
    The Delta Variant Had Negligible Impact on COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness in the USA

This study uses several public datasets to estimate vaccine effectiveness (VE) against PCR-diagnosed infection over time. They find VE around 90% in mid-May, dipping to around 80% by mid-July, then rising back to 90% in mid-Sept. They speculate on a number of possible causes, and call for more data with more granularity to investigate further. They suggest some of the VE rebound may be due to younger people joining the vaccinated cohort, though other factors such as behavior change could be equally important.

Any way, similar results from a half-dozen counties and a half-dozen states, and amazingly includes recent data.

Some of these datasets are the same ones I've looked at to "check" the official numbers. I haven't tried to square why some other countries (UK and Israel come to mind) report more VE drop and no rebound.

^ The takeaway from the paper: the rapid growth of the Delta variant in the U.S.A. from near-zero prevalence to near-dominance has had a negligible impact on vaccine efficacy.

Instead, the “wave” behavior or drop and rebound of vaccine effectiveness has more to do with a transfer of demographic risk factors such as age, comorbidities, and other clinical vulnerabilities, between vaccinated and unvaccinated groups as vaccination rates increased in various demographic cohorts.

In other words vaccine demographics, not variants, is what matters. The proportion of vaccinated people matters, but who they are and how they cluster also matters. All three US vaccines remained relatively stable and quite well-performing, despite the dramatic concurrent rise of the Delta variant.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    ^
    In other words vaccine demographics, not variants, is what matters. The proportion of vaccinated people matters, but who they are and how they cluster also matters.
    Also the demographics of who gets tested and how often, which changes over time. There are many possible ramifications of this. One example--younger unvaccinated people get test more because their job requires either vaccination or testing, so more asymptomatic cases among the unvaccinated are detected. There are many other ways in which testing could influence the results--in both directions.

Yeah the data collected on humans is messy and complicated and that can give us misleading numbers. A lot of the studies especially early in the Delta wave that came out of Israel were too messy to be useful. The ones that weren't messy don’t show meaningful waning against disease, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Yeah the data collected on humans is messy and complicated and that can give us misleading numbers. A lot of the studies especially early in the Delta wave that came out of Israel were too messy to be useful. The ones that weren't messy don’t show meaningful waning against disease, yet.
    OTOH the data on hospitalizations vs vaccine status seems pretty clear cut and shows the same thing.

Is there any known data on the difference in second shot side effects between those that took mRNAs at the minimum schedule vs. longer interval, like in Canada/UK? I've come up empty on side effects for the second shot--looks like maybe they're lower for a third, though. TIA

This explains so much these days!

X

Wearing a mask in the car is easier than cleaning the rotting food and dead rodents out of my car. And cheaper than buying a little bag of potpourri or hanging a pine tree from my mirror,

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Wearing a mask in the car is easier than cleaning the rotting food and dead rodents out of my car. And cheaper than buying a little bag of potpourri or hanging a pine tree from my mirror,
    I laffed. And threw up a little in my mouth.

So annoying!

Went to the butcher and no one was wearing masks - not the person behind the counter and no other customers except for one guy who came in after me. After one more maskless person came in I said to myself "fuck this" and left and the only other masked person followed right behind me.

I'm not going to patronize your business if you don't care about me or your community (or following the statewide mask mandate). You're not the only butcher in town.
    Last edited by KQ; 10-01-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Ya know, even without fucking Covid doesn't it make some sense to wear a mask when you are cutting up and wrapping somebodies food?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Ya know, even without fucking Covid doesn't it make some sense to wear a mask when you are cutting up and wrapping somebodies food?
    This thought has occurred to me also.

Yanno, I don't even notice I have a mask on anymore.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    This thought has occurred to me also.

Yanno, I don't even notice I have a mask on anymore.
    You might feel differently if you had to wear one at work all day.

I went in a fish shop yesterday, nobody wearing masks except my 89 yo dad. We ordered a pound of smoked ciscoes and left, took about five minutes. Risk assessment low.

I was at the Coach in Wilson, I had just come down from a hot pass lap, and instinctively went inside without a mask, yeah, my bad. Before I could even turn around, (I was still wearing a full face helmet) the dick working the liquor store yelled at me to mask up…he wasn’t wearing a mask, either.
    WTF
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I'd worry a lot more about the E coli etc on the meat.

Absolute must read (too long to c&p)

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ge-of-monsters
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I was at the Coach in Wilson, I had just come down from a hot pass lap, and instinctively went inside without a mask, yeah, my bad. Before I could even turn around, (I was still wearing a full face helmet) the dick working the liquor store yelled at me to mask up…he wasn’t wearing a mask, either.
    WTF
    Holy hell, shit like this has nearly made me an antimasker.

I had an experience on the slopes where someone yelled at me from the chair when I pulled my buff down to cheer my kids on a jump.

Luckily, the mask madness has chilled out in my neck of the woods.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    You might feel differently if you had to wear one at work all day.

I went in a fish shop yesterday, nobody wearing masks except my 89 yo dad. We ordered a pound of smoked ciscoes and left, took about five minutes. Risk assessment low.
    I wear an kn95 all day at work and I dont notice it anymore. I actually kinda like it when its cold out.

I pretty much always mask up for indoor or close proximity things even though I'm vaxxed and even it it seems low risk just because I have to ask people to put their masks on or pull them over their noses all day long and it sucks. We've been doing this for over a year and people act like its a brand new rule that I, personally made up and implemented.

I dont go directly to verbally telling them. I start by making eye contact and touching my mask. If that doesn't work I ask. If that doesn't work I tell them they have to. About 60% of the people cop an attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    So annoying!

Went to the butcher and no one was wearing masks - not the person behind the counter and no other customers except for one guy who came in after me. After one more maskless person came in I said to myself "fuck this" and left and the only other masked person followed right behind me.

I'm not going to patronize your business if you don't care about me or your community (or following the statewide mask mandate). You're not the only butcher in town.
    FKNA KQ. When those batshit crazy A Holes see money walking out the door...
    Hit the idiots where it hurts - their wallet.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    I got your conspiracy. Clearly those dastardly* Wuhan virologists created human SARS2, then created several bat variant precursors, and released them all. Or maybe it was the Russians, releasing it in China. Or... it was the Clintons did it with the Soros money in Laos.

* Since we make other unfounded accusations, anything goes.
    It was all Muslims plot to make women cover their faces obviously. /s

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Absolute must read (too long to c&p)

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ge-of-monsters
    I got this.
    Lo, one day, a monster crawled from a cave. At first, the people of the kingdom were not alarmed.

“Many a monster has crawled from a cave before, and nothing came of it,” one said, and the people went about their business of tending sheep, harvesting crops, and imbibing beer soup at breakfast together. “ ’Tis silly to get worked up over a monster every one score years.”

The monster began biting the people of the kingdom on their necks, however, and, after a few days, many of those bitten turned into monsters themselves. Most who became monsters turned back into people after a few weeks, but some, sadly, did not.

“If you are young and able, a monster bite is no worse than being bitten by a common fox,” said one villager, echoing the beliefs of most of the people of the kingdom, who themselves were typically neither young nor able.

As the people of the kingdom kept turning into monsters who then bit others, it led to greater numbers of new monsters every day, a measure of growth for which the people did not have a name, so they simply referred to it as “many scores of additional monsters by each sunrise.”

Most of the people of the kingdom were advised to stay in their dwellings, and they banged their chamber pots at sundown to thank the brave chirurgeons who were attending to the bitten. If they ventured out, they wrapped swaths of itchy wool around their necks as protection. Exemptions were made for those who had tasks essential to the functioning of the kingdom, such as town fools, courtesans, and torturers, and also for the youngest residents. (Their parents were going mad tending them whilst also tending their sheep.) As for those who gallivanted about merely for their own revels, everyone else hoped that they would get bitten and—though ’twas sort of frowned upon to declare aloud—not necessarily remain monsters but perhaps spend several weeks retching black bile.

A miraculous end to the scourge seemed to arrive sooner than expected when apothecaries brewed three separate magical potions that would protect nearly everyone who imbibed one. There was great rejoicing throughout the kingdom as people boasted, in a phrase that became irksome with overuse, “I got my sip.” They were eager to see friends and family again—groups that were indistinguishable, as everyone in the kingdom was related to one another through inbreeding. Some of the younger people vowed to make up for lost time fornicating with their cousins in the upcoming “hot poshe midsummer.”

Yet not everyone was so excited about the potions. Some were concerned that they had been insufficiently tested on subjects other than rams and oxen. Others worried about the inclusion of a relatively new reagent, despite the fact that apothecaries had been experimenting for years with eye of newt.

After months of sympathetic tolerance for their wary brethren, the imbibers’ patience was worn down. “ ’Tis madness!” they all said. “Lo, they came up with a magical potion so you don’t turn into a monster! Just get the sip, you village fucking idiots!”

These slurs only strengthened the resolve of the potion-hesitant, who were now proud anti-potioners, and the number of monsters roaming the kingdom, which had dropped steeply, rose once more, and the afflicted were baring sharper fangs. It became clear that the monsters would never go extinct and would remain at consistently low levels in the population, in a manner for which the people of the kingdom did not have a name, so they called it “small amounts of monsters existing forever.”

At times, a deep melancholy descended upon the people who had imbibed the potions, for life as they knew it would never be quite the same as ’twas before, when, without wool swaths, constant dread, or the ever-present threat of contracting “long monster,” children could merrily taunt beggars, neighbors could share bowls of beer soup at breakfast, and young people could fornicate with their cousins without the designation of a specific season.

And yet hope remained. Further protection would come from the brewing of new potions, childhood exposure to the monsters, and experimental treatments with dragon testicle. Some people would continue to wrap swaths of wool around their necks for certain group activities that they had previously participated in blithely, such as attending a casual burning at the stake.

For the people of the kingdom were resilient and would not give up on the future—for themselves, for their inbred children, and for their inbred children’s inbred children. And, lo, they would find a way to go on, as they always had, in the age of monsters.
    Hey, it’s shorter than bodywhomper’s posts in the wildfire thread.