Page 1455 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 ... LastLast
Results 36,351 to 36,375 of 41810
    Name:  NYC.png
Views: 376
Size:  93.7 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

An emergency room RN was the first person that I know to catch covid and share a lot of their experiences. They still has not have taste and smell.
    Yeah, a friend of mine that got it in Feb 2020 still doesn't have taste and smell back. Some things came back, but some things she used to like now taste weird and metallic, and she basically can't eat it anymore. On the plus side, she said she's saving lots of money drinking cheap boxed wine these days since it all tastes the same.

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    REALLY glad I can taste and smell more than that. Honestly, I just wish so badly there would be a mask mandate for Sam, our 11 year old in school, or any schools for that matter. I'm highly worried now more than before he'll bring it home to DTM or me again. They both somehow didn't get it when I had it and I'd hate for them to go through worse than what mind was and mine was fairly "mild"...minus the no smell and taste that lasted a long time. I don't see it returning to completely normal, probably ever.
    Kiddo is 11? Time flies.
    Best wishes on the taste buds, hang on to hope.
    I’m not completely sold on the concept of manifesting your own destiny, but try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    REALLY glad I can taste and smell more than that. Honestly, I just wish so badly there would be a mask mandate for Sam, our 11 year old in school, or any schools for that matter. I'm highly worried now more than before he'll bring it home to DTM or me again. They both somehow didn't get it when I had it and I'd hate for them to go through worse than what mind was and mine was fairly "mild"...minus the no smell and taste that lasted a long time. I don't see it returning to completely normal, probably ever.
    That's rough AC - vibes for Sam. So glad our district has incredibly strict masking mandates.

Is the 11 yo willing to wear an n95 mask? That’s how a friend in SC is dealing with it for his kids. Got some of the kids friends to do it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's very tempting to get an N95 with an exhalation valve.
    Get yourself one of these.

https://us.cambridgemask.com/

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Get yourself one of these.

https://us.cambridgemask.com/

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I think you missed my point--a valved N95 would be my way of saying fuck you to the anti-maskers. Protect myself and not you.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm curious about your mom needing a cane.

Is it for balance?

Does she or did she lift weights for legs?

I hear that strong legs help with balance.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    yes for balance and strength. she has rheumatoid arthritis so that contributes but honestly she’s always been kind of weak and hated all exercise. (i think one of the reasons I love it so much)
    I’ve tried to get her exercising more but her bar has always been so low that she thinks walking a half mile is good. it’s super frustrating but I just try to keep encouraging her.
    skid luxury

I lost my taste and smell several years ago after a really bad sinus infection and it took over a year to return and I still don't think its 100%.

If you've never experienced it you cannot even imagine how bad it is.

I would throw away milk because I couldn't smell so I couldn't smell to see if it was still good.

I was always afraid things smelled bad, anything poop like might be poop (like things my dog would get into) because I couldn't smell.

There was no joy in food or drink.

It was really terrible and I dont wish it on anyone.

I think you missed my point--a valved N95 would be my way of saying fuck you to the anti-maskers. Protect myself and not you.
    The masks in the link I listed are rated higher than N95 are reusable and have a valve. I think you missed my point

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

The masks in the link I listed are rated higher than N95 are reusable and have a valve. I think you missed my point
    If you were trying to riff on his joke, you whiffed lol
    Last edited by mcski; 09-09-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    yes for balance and strength. she has rheumatoid arthritis so that contributes but honestly she’s always been kind of weak and hated all exercise. (i think one of the reasons I love it so much)
    I’ve tried to get her exercising more but her bar has always been so low that she thinks walking a half mile is good. it’s super frustrating but I just try to keep encouraging her.
    Good luck.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Yeah, I read the specs and the testing they say was done. I didn't see anything about NIOSH or FDA approval. Besides, it doesn't look like an N95, which ruins the effect. I'll pass. (FWIW most of the N95's approved by NIOSH aren't FDA approved because they aren't marketed as for medical use. They're usually marketed as dust masks, but as long as they're on NIOSH's list that's good enough for me.)
    Last edited by old goat; 09-10-2021 at 12:37 AM.

[

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This is, probably irrationally, the main reason I'd like to avoid COVID completely. Losing smell and taste would be a nightmare.

++vibes to your wife...
    Some of you didn't have any taste to begin with.

Bummer AC. I can't imagine dealing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    This whole “differing opinion/alternative facts/respect my own views” is the softest load of snowflake bullshit to ever come out of society. The fact that this behavior is being blamed on far left woke millennials is hilarious seeing as how the vast majority of harm from this is coming from science/election result deniers.
    Some people expect a participation prize for thinking.

It's very tempting to get an N95 with an exhalation valve.
    You should get a little kazoo attachment to make your point.

Here are your anti-maskers. They type who will make fun of a 16 year old for talking about his Grandma who died of Covid.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...254101448.html

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Some things came back, but some things she used to like now taste weird and metallic, and she basically can't eat it anymore.
    Yep, bought some kiwis last week and they tasted very weird and metallic to her, but totally normal to the kiddo and I.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Some of you didn't have any taste to begin with.
    I presume you're referring to Skidog here with his fish sticks and ketchup?

1,900 deaths yesterday, 1,700 the previous day. This is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Would very much like to see the vaccinated/unvaccinated breakdown of these numbers.

I've been trying to maintain some empathy in these times... but I'm getting more and more:

Milton-Freewater winery Ducleaux Cellars cancels in-person tastings as COVID-19 surges

When Toby Turlay and Chris Dukelow decided to open a winery and tasting room in Milton-Freewater three years ago, they may have assumed the most difficult part would be making wine worth buying.

Navigating a global pandemic that has gripped the country and their home for the last 19 months was not part of the business plan.

This year, with the COVID-19 delta variant surging and hospital systems strained across the country, Turlay and Dukelow made a painful decision: Ducleaux Cellars is canceling in-person tastings.

Though the couple are fully vaccinated and are not likely to be hospitalized, the risk that a breakthrough case could impact their sense of taste and smell, a common side effect of COVID-19, is too great, they said.

“We have a family member who got COVID a year ago; she still doesn’t have her sense of smell back,” Dukelow said in an interview. “The worst thing that could happen to us right now during harvest is to lose our taste and smell.”

Passion and a hopeful start

It all started with a really bad cabernet.

Dukelow grew up in Richland, and as an adult he would often go wine tasting with his parents, where he developed a love for the art of fermenting grapes. Dukelow and Turlay drank a lot of wine, the pair said in an interview, and decided to try making a home brew for the fun of it.

The first batch was terrible.

But the experience was intoxicating enough for the duo. Dukelow went to a night school in Seattle to study grape-growing and winemaking, known by those in the industry as viticulture and enology.

In 2013, they produced their first commercial batch, and though the business was still largely a hobby, they weren’t producing bad cab anymore.

“You’re investing money in grapes, and so you better not screw it up,” Dukelow said.

After their kids moved away for college, the pair considered moving to wine country and found a beautiful piece of property in Milton-Freewater three years ago. They named it Ducleaux, a French-sounding play on Dukelow’s family name.

The first year, 2019, was dedicated to setting up the business. The next, 2020, was supposed to be about opening Ducleaux’s doors.

Turlay, wanting to be able to help more with the business, studied with the Walla Walla Community College’s Institute of Enology and Viticulture, finishing that program in June 2020. By then the pandemic had already hit, but the class had moved from hands-on work to studying models and memorizing charts, and her education was relatively unaffected.

But the business was hit hard from the start.

Starts and stops

“The first year was about getting things ready to open up, then, about when we were ready, the pandemic hit,” Turlay said. “It’s been starts and stops.”

Umatilla County, where their business is located, has often had relatively high COVID-19 transmission rates for the state and region. But for a brief moment in 2021, it seemed like things were beginning to return to some sense of normalcy.

This year is a big one for Ducleaux Cellars. They currently source their grapes from the Walla Walla and Columbia valleys, but the plan had always been to turn Ducleaux into primarily an estate winery, making wine from grapes they grow rather than relying on another vineyard’s product. Now in their third year, vines planted in 2019 are being harvested for the first time.

The business owners had planned to have year-round tastings, and as vaccinations rose and case counts dropped this spring, Ducleaux opened its doors again for Friday and Saturday tastings.

“Our tasting room is in the winery, and we always had the big bay doors open,” Turlay said. “But that was before the delta variant took off.”

As hospitalizations began to skyrocket again, paralleling or surpassing the worst moments in the pandemic before that point, the couple decided to reverse course. Vaccination rates lagged behind the rest of Oregon and the U.S., and Turlay and Dukelow didn’t want to be in a position where they had to ask customers for proof of vaccination.

So they canceled tastings altogether. It was not a decision they made lightly.

“It certainly impacts the business plan and reduces revenue and our ability to sell wine,” Dukelow said.

But the risk, both to themselves and to their community, was too great, they decided. The senses of smell and taste are fundamental to a winemaker, helping them ensure fermentation is working the way it should and that the final product will be worth a premium.

“If you can’t smell that something’s going wrong, then you can’t fix it,” Dukelow said. “You could ruin your whole lot of wine.”

Turlay added: “I didn’t feel that sense of safety that we thought we had. I also didn’t want to be the source of spreading COVID, either. I would feel horrible.”

To try to recoup some of their lost revenue, the couple has tried to lean on virtual tasting events, an option that has proven popular with some businesses leading team building meetings and the like. And, Dukelow noted, they produce a commodity uniquely suited to sitting and waiting for a better day.

“We are fortunate in that most wine made well does better with aging,” Dukelow said. “So it just means we’ll have more inventory we’ll need to sell when the pandemic’s over.”
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Would very much like to see the vaccinated/unvaccinated breakdown of these numbers.

I've been trying to maintain some empathy in these times... but I'm getting more and more:

I cannot wait for kid vax to be approved so I can be this way. That's the most frustrating part.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I cannot wait for kid vax to be approved so I can be this way. That's the most frustrating part.
    I read the news every day hoping the timeline will be bumped up even sooner.

Hoping my older one can get it right after she turns 5 (Dec 2nd) and the younger one who's 2 can get it soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    For sure. Kiddo is 12 in January.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Ducleaux
    Dukelow
    Last edited by Mazderati; 09-11-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    1 in 500 US citizens have died from Covid19.

Not 1 in 500 infected. 1 in 500 of our population (656k/328,000k). It's disgusting how little these anti-vax/anti-mask/anti-social distancing people care about other human beings.

I wish they were all forced to view what our health care professionals are going through every day.