Page 246 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Seriously, if I try to go get tested tomorrow with non debilitating symptoms will I be turned away?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Seriously, if I try to go get tested tomorrow with non debilitating symptoms will I be turned away?
    See my post above
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quoting so I can more easily cut and paste and send to friends.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    In response to a COVID denier whose argument that infection rate and fatalities would be "statistically insignificant" I modelled WA state and King County's numbers. Please poke holes in my back-of-the envelope calcs

Calculations were sourced

- CDC (hover mouse over geog area)

- https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ - data from national centres

- https://cov2019.info/ - scrapes from national centres and news real-time

WA state
    On March 14 - 643 cases
    Today March 18 - 1012 cases

King County

March 14- 388
    March 18 - 518

So we have a double every 4.5 days implying a case increase rate of 17% per day
    At that rate "only" 500k WA state residents will be infected in 45 days.

At 400 cases per 1M of population the healthcare system breaks down if we take Italy as an example

Marc 14 - MWA state 135 per 1m. Time to breakdown. 9 days
    Marc 14 - King County 235 per 1m. Time to breakdown. 5.5 days

This assumes that WA state is unprepared. I doubt that since there's been time to react so the healthcare time to breakdown may be higher than the Italy level of 400 per 1m population

Hospitalizations

With a 4.5 day doubling, 500K WA state residents have cases in 45 days ( assuming that the Covid deniers of the world have their say; that mitigation measures are therefor not optimal, and therefore that the rate of increase holds at 17%). By way of a NPR poll 56% of Americans believe that COVID is not a big deal and that the mitigation efforts are overblown so that seems to be a reasonable assumption.

Blending the Imperial college numbers and doing a weighted average in my head from 0 - 50; 3.2% require hospitalization (median age of WA state is 38 years old)

So that's 8,000 hospitalizations of 0-50 years old

Above 50 years old lets' deploy some rough math and weight the average of hospitalizations at 16%.

So that's 40,000 hospitalizations.

Total is 48000 additional hospitalizations. Let's look at how many beds there are to spare in WA state per the
    NYTimes. Apparently the system will need another 188% additional beds. That's 2.7x additional hospital beds needed in 45 days.

Data re hospitalizations from this chart from this peer-reviewed study https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

Attachment 321031

Chinese Rat Flu

Definitely
    I should say, if you weren’t exposed.

We are only testing symptomatic employees if they had an exposure to Covid. Exposure mean close contact without PPE to a positive person

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Oops. Richland WA (Tri-cities) just had their first death.

An undiagnosed case at a retirement home with two other potential cases hospitalized. Cue Kirkland part II.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Other treatment testing going on:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...-symptoms.html

What's the collective opinion on employers who think that COVID 19 is "overblown" and don't want to grant the ability to work remotely without a huge fight?

Fuck 'em ... or fuck 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    In response to a COVID denier whose argument that infection rate and fatalities would be "statistically insignificant" I modelled WA state and King County's numbers. Please poke holes in my back-of-the envelope calcs

Calculations were sourced

- CDC (hover mouse over geog area)

- https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ - data from national centres

- https://cov2019.info/ - scrapes from national centres and news real-time

WA state
    On March 14 - 643 cases
    Today March 18 - 1012 cases

King County

March 14- 388
    March 18 - 518

So we have a double every 4.5 days implying a case increase rate of 17% per day
    At that rate "only" 500k WA state residents will be infected in 45 days.

At 400 cases per 1M of population the healthcare system breaks down if we take Italy as an example

Marc 14 - MWA state 135 per 1m. Time to breakdown. 9 days
    Marc 14 - King County 235 per 1m. Time to breakdown. 5.5 days

This assumes that WA state is unprepared. I doubt that since there's been time to react so the healthcare time to breakdown may be higher than the Italy level of 400 per 1m population

Hospitalizations

With a 4.5 day doubling, 500K WA state residents have cases in 45 days ( assuming that the Covid deniers of the world have their say; that mitigation measures are therefor not optimal, and therefore that the rate of increase holds at 17%). By way of a NPR poll 56% of Americans believe that COVID is not a big deal and that the mitigation efforts are overblown so that seems to be a reasonable assumption.

Blending the Imperial college numbers and doing a weighted average in my head from 0 - 50; 3.2% require hospitalization (median age of WA state is 38 years old)

So that's 8,000 hospitalizations of 0-50 years old

Above 50 years old lets' deploy some rough math and weight the average of hospitalizations at 16%.

So that's 40,000 hospitalizations.

Total is 48000 additional hospitalizations. Let's look at how many beds there are to spare in WA state per the
    NYTimes. Apparently the system will need another 188% additional beds. That's 2.7x additional hospital beds needed in 45 days.

Data re hospitalizations from this chart from this peer-reviewed study https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

Attachment 321031
    I'm ont in a mental state to delve much except but two things for you
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...8Q0FY/htmlview

And if you are dedicated,
    http://www.gleamviz.org/
    is what i used, modifying the H1N1pdm09 model and asusmptions to predict it could kill up to a few million american back in January
    you could update with better assumptions on r0 asymptomatic and symptomatic travelers
    If you don't want to get fancy there is this very basic tool http://reed-frostepi.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Sad one.

42yr old single mother of 6, cancer survivor.

http://komonews.com/news/coronavirus...ovid-19-victim

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/yo...GEB?li=BBnb7Kz

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The results are based on existing data so they may not be robust but it looks like the virus prefers cool and dry conditions. Specifically between 11°C to 25°C (52°F - 77°F).
    If this is true then Seattle is especially fucked. That's going to be the weather most of the time between now and December.

Although I still don't understand why a virus that lives in the human body at approx. 100 degrees Fahrenheit prefers cool conditions. Makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Well, it was. :shrug:

Has anyone else noticed the few cars on the road are driving like Mad Max?

I had to run to my office to get something and while the roads were dead the drivers I did see were meandering in and out of lanes, lights and stop signs were optional and even saw a guy bust a U turn for no reason across 6 lanes of traffic without so much as looking over his shoulder.
    Actually, yes. The driving today was horrendous. Cyclists as well. Has some chick biking down the middle of the road, no hands, weaving all over the pace. Great time to get hit by a mad max driver.

Chinese Rat Flu

There was a business woman here in town that came home fromSpain with flu like symptoms and even her company stepped up to pay for the test. The hospital sat her in the waiting room, with everyone else, before telling her she had to call the state health dept, in the end she got no test and she checked into a hotel to self quarantine because she had kids at home. Who will get the room after her?

I wouldn’t go to the hospital unless I was already half dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Because the governor went down there with that national guard to mass test.

While we wait 5-6 days for results on ICU patients and burn through PPE

We are running out of PPE
    What he said.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Probably going to out live us all. Country is cut off.

Oy

North Korea is not cut off from China

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'm ont in a mental state to delve much except but two things for you
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...8Q0FY/htmlview

And if you are dedicated,
    http://www.gleamviz.org/
    is what i used, modifying the H1N1pdm09 model and asusmptions to predict it could kill up to a few million american back in January
    you could update with better assumptions on r0 asymptomatic and symptomatic travelers
    If you don't want to get fancy there is this very basic tool http://reed-frostepi.sourceforge.net/
    Thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I wouldn’t go to the hospital unless I was already half dead.
    Agreed. I was reading a story about the drive-up testing and it sounds like you typically need to first speak to a doctor (and this can be done over the phone) then they will give you a time to drive up where they will swab you and then you're on your way. This seems like the way to do it--if you can.

I witnessed what I think was a drive up testing site being set up here in Bellingham today. If true, this is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Agreed. I was reading a story about the drive-up testing and it sounds like you typically need to first speak to a doctor (and this can be done over the phone) then they will give you a time to drive up where they will swab you and then you're on your way. This seems like the way to do it--if you can.
    My local hospital set one up. 4-5 days for a result.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    If this is true then Seattle is especially fucked. That's going to be the weather most of the time between now and December.

Although I still don't understand why a virus that lives in the human body at approx. 100 degrees Fahrenheit prefers cool conditions. Makes no sense to me.
    The virus is protected by a rubbery coating. If the coating dissolves outside a host the virus is destroyed, if the coating dissolves inside a host the virus can replicate. Absolute humidity is as big a factor as temperature so Seattle might be okay. Although the virus can still spread easily in conditioned environments.

Whats rather disturbing is all of the cases popping up in random nursing homes across Washington state. The actual infection numbers are probably 20 times what is being reported. If indeed that is true then the upside is it may not be as deadly as the initial statistics and hopefully the population achieves a herd immunity more quickly
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I witnessed what I think was a drive up testing site being set up here in Bellingham today. If true, this is huge.
    Good News!! Where at?

Here's something to ponder:

What happens when law enforcement personnel get sick?

Coronavirus in NY: Film unit fills in at NYPD precinct after 31 cops call out sick

and to counter with something more positive for those of you with kids at home:

YouTubers Science Mom & Math Dad aiming to make e-learning fun
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by natty dread View Post
    There is no way I would show up to work if my fd told me i had to reuse N95s or other disposable mask.

i'm willing (as are most of my co-workers) to re-use my same mask for a shift, but no, not more than that.

we've got two 3m 6001 resp masks at home from when we did a bunch of house stuff, basic organic vapor stuff. ordered a half dozen new p95 filter setups this morning. we'll see if they show up...only ones i found readily available. only plan to have them at home if needed, but figure to take one in with me so if we happen to run out mid-shift, at least i can use it.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The virus is protected by a rubbery coating. If the coating dissolves outside a host then the virus is destroyed, if the coating dissolves inside a host the virus replicates. Absolute humidity is as big a factor as temperture so Seattle might be okay. The virus can still spread easily in conditioned environments.
    Interesting. Thanks!