Page 433 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,825 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    today I had trouble in another way smaller thread
    I attempted without success uploading an attachment in another thread, too. It was a meta analysis comparison of UK COVID-19 with viral pneumonia in a critical care setting. Some takeaways:

- Viral pneumonia is about 50:50 male-female while COVID-19 is about 70% male
    - About 50% of COVID-19 vs 80% of pneumonia survive critical care
    - About 80% of COVID-19 vs 40% of pneumonia patients require ventilation
    - About 34% of COVID-19 vs 64% of pneumonia patients survive ventilation
    - About 48% of COVID-19 vs 19% of pneumonia patients with no severe comorbidities died

Also:

- High body mass (BMI) individuals are at higher risk
    - Many are dying due to a cytokine storm: Cytokine Release Syndrome (CRS) + COVID
    - The Roche drug Actmera is in US trials to address CRS

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1000w

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1000w

Dawned on me that Trump WANTS this week and next week to be full of death. Let's get this death thing over with. Quick. We have to make America great again, again. All of this flu thing is such a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I’d love to see the model they’ve been hyping claiming 100-240k deaths at the end of this. Not to diminish the seriousness of the overall issue at hand, but I’ve been skeptical of that number from day 1 it was released. Hope I’m right.
    have you seen the lily pad demonstration of exponential growth?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

General Sherman: Nobody has ever laid waste to the South like my Army
    CoVid19: Hold my beer

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    A lily pond, so goes the French riddle, starts with a single lily leaf. Each day the number of leaves will double: 2 leaves on the second day; 4 leaves on the third day; 8 leaves on the fourth day; etc. If the pond is full on the 30th day, on which day is the pond half full?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    A lily pond, so goes the French riddle, starts with a single lily leaf. Each day the number of leaves will double: 2 leaves on the second day; 4 leaves on the third day; 8 leaves on the fourth day; etc. If the pond is full on the 30th day, on which day is the pond half full?
    29th?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Dawned on me that Trump WANTS this week and next week to be full of death. Let's get this death thing over with. Quick. We have to make America great again, again. All of this flu thing is such a hassle.
    You need to stay alive for a while just to fuck with him.

^correct

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    29th?
    Exactly.

Insane thought. Isn’t it? And at the same time obvious.

It’s hard for most to understand.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    If you were having a drink at a bar and some old dude next to you started talking like our president, you'd move away from him.
    Can you imagine if you were on a plane with the seat next to you empty and saw someone who looked like Trump coming down the aisle?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Exactly.

Doubling is hard for people to understand? Seems pretty straightforward I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    General Sherman: Nobody has ever laid waste to the South like my Army
    CoVid19: Hold my beer
    Not PC but sig worthy.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Exactly.

It's also not true, per se.

If the pond is 2/3rd full on the 29th day, it will be full on the 30th day, overflowing in fact, where it was never half full.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^What?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not that it's something I'm particularly keen on betting on, but I'm guessing we'll hit 100k deaths by April 20-ish. The doubling rate on all of those graphs (that apparently can't be posted in here anymore) would need to roll over pretty hard for that not to happen. Given that things are just ramping up in the south, I'm skeptical we'll see that roll over on a national level any time soon.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm no mathematician but 1300 people died yesterday and 900 the day before. Seems like 100k is not far away.

My SO has a relative that is sewing cloth masks. Picked up an couple xl's today. Tried wearing ski stuff but it was too hot.

Also Billy Stings is streaming live right now on Nugs. $5.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Can you imagine if you were on a plane with the seat next to you empty and saw someone who looked like Trump coming down the aisle?
    Headphones.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/w...s-updates.html
    At one point Mr. Trump, who initially set Easter Sunday as a target date for re-opening the country before backing off, said that the holiday would be a particularly “sad” day for Americans prohibited from gathering in large numbers. He said he would again like to consider relaxing social distancing rules for Easter services and that he had told advisers, “maybe we could allow special for churches” gatherings that were possibly outside with “great separation.”

“It’s something we should talk about,” he added
    No, it's not, you stupid fuck. Is he brain dead?

No, it's not, you stupid fuck. Is he brain dead?
    His brain size and function are irrelevant since he always just talks out of his ass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He's catching major shit from the Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    He's catching major shit from the Christians.
    Lions to the white courtesy phone. Lions? Lions to the white courtesy phone, please.

^What?
    The doubling rate or the area of a lily pad is independent of the pond surface area.

So, it's possible that after 28 days, the pond is 1/3 covered, after 29 days, it's 2/3 covered, then on the 30th day it's 4/3s covered, so the 30th day is the first day it's covered.

But it was never half covered even thought it was covered on the 30th day.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The doubling rate or the area of a lily pad is independent of the pond surface area.

So, it's possible that after 28 days, the pond is 1/3 covered, after 29 days, it's 2/3 covered, then on the 30th day it's 4/3s covered, so the 30th day is the first day it's covered.

But it was never half covered.
    I mean, doesn't this really depend on the temporal resolution of your measurements? Just because you're reporting daily totals doesn't mean that the actual data doesn't capture the moment in time when it's half-covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    29th?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Doubling is hard for people to understand? Seems pretty straightforward I would have thought.
    the version I have seen was the lily pad is full on day 60, so yeah, half full on day 59. That's not hard to understand.

But on what day is the pond even 1% full?

That's day 54. And THAT is really hard to fucking understand, that the pond that is full on day 60 is not even 1% full on day 53.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

But it was never half covered even thought it was covered on the 30th day.
    The whole premise is that it is perfectly full on X day. So working backwards, the premise is that it is half full on day X-1. Yes, you're right, generally speaking a real life situation would work forward and not backward and you'd be right, but it's needlessly confusing for the demonstration of the issue.