Page 282 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 ... LastLast
Results 7,026 to 7,050 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    You're not wrong, but if everyone saved the way they should the economy would probably crumble. They depend on people spending every dollar available to "grow".

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    It’s one big circle. Quota grows each year because growing businesses are viable businesses. Which is basically a pay cut if he doesn’t work harder. So he grinds, and his time off is trucks, atvs, snowmobiles, airstream, fishing and ski gear for him and his wife and 3 kids half on credit. He feeds the system, it grows which means it’s healthy. It’s all based on debt. He owes the company a sales number and the company rolls up all those sales numbers to forecast the growth necessary to sustain the stock price. And when the bad times come, the whole thing falls down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    100% agree

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Agent Smith was specifically speaking about the entrenched mgmt at Vail, Alterra, Jackson, et. al.

That's the William Burroughs reference in that trilogy.

Where is that bloated Clark Kent lookalike Inslee? He only likes to give press conferences and official updates in the middle of weekdays when nobody is around to hear it. How about a Saturday morning update for your citizens, ya fucking pussy? New York has still administered twice as many tests as California and Washington combined. Pathetic.

I actually have a real emergency to deal with. I broke my $^&(% iPod earphones last night and I don't have a back up pair. Now that's an emergency! Everywhere is closed. #$%^&%$!

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Thank you. If there's one thing that's abundantly clear from the impact of this virus it's that our economy is fucking fragile. Notwithstanding that, I can't imagine the exposure to go to zero in a month. WTF?
    WTF? Our economy is not just fragile, it's a PONZI SCHEME.

If you are old enough to have parents that went through the depression and WW2, you are probably secure. Everyone else has grown up in a flourishing economy and has never known hard times and depravity.

Do you have 2 - 3 years basic living expenses in cash or hard currency? If not
    you are over leveraged.

I started delivering newspapers when I was in 4th grade for money. Got 2 dollars a week. Worked it up to $8 in a few years. Put $5 in the bank, kept $3 to spend. Rarely did. I've been frugal my whole life much to the derision of my friends. Has put me in a position where, while not rich, have zero debt and if I slum it, can go skiing for a large portion of the winter.

I feel for you, but everyone makes their own bed.
    Last edited by Ski220; 03-21-2020 at 10:34 AM. Reason: correct spelling

if you take the stock market away, what do you have?

business paying employees and themselves if they’re product/service is needed. what is the goal beyond that?

Kids these days...

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post

business paying employees and themselves if they’re product/service is needed. what is the goal beyond that?
    The 12th century?

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Everyone else has grown up in a flourishing economy and has never known hard times and depravity.
    Late 70’s early 80’s were rough. Taming inflation was hard. Correct but hard. Too bad we squandered that austerity with greed and avarice

Chinese Rat Flu

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood Jenkins View Post
    I'm watching the financial apocalypse with a front row seat.

Don't old people and the sick die all the time?

Are we supposed to completely stop our economy? Hobbling it for months or years because of a virulent strain of the flu is kind of extreme. I've seen estimates that 30%-50% of small businesses may not reopen after all this shakes out.

I'm not trying to be a rotten bastard. But following the disastrous wars in the Middle East where we send thousands of troops to be killed/maimed for nothing, and NOW we're concerned about life. I don't buy it. Sorry guys.
    Careful there buddy. You’re not supposed to ask those questions according to the cut-and-paste COVID experts on here. My brother’s a pulmonologist in Columbus OH and is making plans to live at the hospital if things get bad so he won’t expose his wife and kids. He’s been texting updates every day for the last 2 weeks and even he will tell you that 90% of what you hear is worst case scenarios based on unreliable data from countries quite different than ours in some fundamental ways. If I were you I wouldn’t even bother googling stats on all the other causes of death in this country that we just consider the cost doing business.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post

no allocation of capital. no computers. no cell phones.
    otoh, no airplanes or cruise ships. no coronavirus
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood Jenkins View Post
    I'm watching the financial apocalypse with a front row seat.

Don't old people and the sick die all the time?

Are we supposed to completely stop our economy? Hobbling it for months or years because of a virulent strain of the flu is kind of extreme. I've seen estimates that 30%-50% of small businesses may not reopen after all this shakes out.

I'm not trying to be a rotten bastard. But following the disastrous wars in the Middle East where we send thousands of troops to be killed/maimed for nothing, and NOW we're concerned about life. I don't buy it. Sorry guys.
    Would you feel any different if it targeted your specific personality type, specifically targeting people who live on the edge of a financial razor blade? It already has a 40% rate of killing people in your age group. How about if it targeted people who whine about not be able to let it kill other people? How about if a vigilante force was formed to murder people who say what you say - and their entire familes? You selfish fuck.

But you're too chickenshit to go downtown and rob a bank, the cathedral of your religion, shooting and killing anyone who gets in your way so you can pay the bills on your toys? Oh, so it's easy to prescribe death for anyone - as long as it ain't you. When the shit breaks loose, I hope you end up looking down the barrel of your own thoughts for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    But even he will tell you that 90% of what you hear is worst case scenarios]
    Plan for the worst. Hope for the best is a sound strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Late 70’s early 80’s were rough. Taming inflation was hard. Correct but hard. Too bad we squandered that austerity with greed and avarice
    100% agree with you. Jimmy C tried to get us on a sunstainable path and the voters gave us Ronnie Rat Gun. Since then deficits don't matter and now look at this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Chinese Rat Flu

we don’t need to bet on the future in order to function today

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Well to be fair, it was the single biggest one day increase in the stock market in history based solely on trump's leadership. Even Ilhan Omar has now praised Trump's response.

Maybe you are just wrong in your TDS outrage?
    Dow is down what 45% since January? The one day increase is an example of “The Dead Cat Bounce”.

Or maybe that was a day that Trump didn’t say anything. Seems like every time he opens his mouth the equities markets take a major shit. MAGA!

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Dow is down what 45% since January? The one day increase is an example of “The Dead Cat Bounce”.

Or maybe that was a day that Trump didn’t say anything. Seems like every time he opens his mouth the equities markets take a major shit. MAGA!
    It's almost 35% since late February. And that thousand point jump happened while he was doing the Rose Garden press conference a week ago. I watched it happen, it was right before the close that day, so the bots had a party among themselves , I guess. He took it personally, which I guess was his right, along with forcing Powell to zero out rates. Both are just memories now. He only has false hope for some sort of drug to talk about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    WTF? Our economy is not just fragile, it's a PONZI SCHEME.

If you are old enough to have parents that went through the depression and WW2, you are probably secure. Everyone else has grown up in a flourishing economy and has never known hard times and depravity.

Do you have 2 - 3 years basic living expenses in cash or hard currency? If not
    you are over leveraged.

I started delivering newspapers when I was in 4th grade for money. Got 2 dollars a week. Worked it up to $8 in a few years. Put $5 in the bank, kept $3 to spend. Rarely did. I've been frugal my whole life much to the derision of my friends. Has put me in a position where, while not rich, have zero debt and if I slum it, can go skiing for a large portion of the winter.

I feel for you, but everyone makes their own bed.

Don't worry about me man ... I'm good.

Big bummer, but the early French chloroquine data has bigger holes than we originally thought.

https://twitter.com/GaetanBurgio/sta...16107584712704

Here's what happens when you just display data points of p<=.002:

Name:  plessthan0001.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  52.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Late 70’s early 80’s were rough.
    Huh ????????
    By what measure? The last 20 year period?

The 30's and 40's were rough. Look at the average houses that were built in the 50'sand 60's. That will give you some correct perspective. Small, capes and ranches for the most part. Now the average house is probably 3k sq. ft. I am guessing. No research involved, but looking at that metric will probably give you an idea about relative wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Every since 2007/08 I have lived frugally.

That was a clear lesson and most people didn't learn from it.
    ∆ this