Page 24 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    cuz a shroud has no pockets
    There's a business opportunity for someone

A quote from an old paddling buddy/ MD who must have walked past a few Gurney's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...18a_story.html

So there's a bunch of healthy looking people walking around with the virus. Fun.

Is it plausible that the air quality of Wuhan and China is increasing the mortality and morbidity rates?

254 dead in china this morning, cases on the rise in Vietnam and one dead in Japan, we decided flying into Honk kong to visit SE ASia would be a really bad idea right now,

There were 3 waves of chinese who came to Vangroovy, 1st the Cantonese from Quangdong, about 20 yrs ago the Hongkong ( AKA Honkies ) the last wave were the mainland and NOBODY trusts the mainland chinese, if they are telling you its this bad now what did they not tell you ?

"If the new coronavirus 2019-nCoV (now officially named COVID-19) is anything like its family members, a new study suggests it could survive on inanimate objects for well over a week.

According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) it's "currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes."

In fact, not a lot is known about COVID-19 at all, so researchers are turning to similar coronaviruses, like SARS and MERS, for answers.

Reviewing the literature on all available human and veterinary viruses within this family, encompassing 22 studies, researchers have found that the human pathogens can persist on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days. (To put that in perspective, the measles virus can live on contaminated surfaces for up to two hours.)"
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Is it plausible that the air quality of Wuhan and China is increasing the mortality and morbidity rates?
    Seems likely, it's certainly not helping. In spite of the reported slowing economy Beijing pollution levels still look really bad. There’s a 109 floor building a mile and half away in this image:

Name:  EQov4yyU8AI5UQf.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  53.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    "If the new coronavirus 2019-nCoV (now officially named COVID-19) is anything like its family members, a new study suggests it could survive on inanimate objects for well over a week.

According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) it's "currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes."

In fact, not a lot is known about COVID-19 at all, so researchers are turning to similar coronaviruses, like SARS and MERS, for answers.

Reviewing the literature on all available human and veterinary viruses within this family, encompassing 22 studies, researchers have found that the human pathogens can persist on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days. (To put that in perspective, the measles virus can live on contaminated surfaces for up to two hours.)"
    70% EtoH, 1% Bleach, 0.5% NaOH will kill the virus.

But if you have the virus, spraying these on your body/clothes won't help.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

There were 3 waves of chinese who came to Vangroovy, 1st the Cantonese from Quangdong, about 20 yrs ago the Hongkong ( AKA Honkies ) the last wave were the mainland and NOBODY trusts the mainland chinese, if they are telling you its this bad now what did they not tell you ?
    The old method (testing) indicates another decline today whereas the new method (clinical diagnosis) shows many more cases than previously reported.

Shortly after the new numbers were reported there was a purge of Hubei province party chiefs and party bosses who were replaced with party members aligned with Beijing. So one way to look at the new numbers is Beijing getting ahead of the story. The old local leadership was to blame, the new leadership will fix the problem.

Name:  EQoGh6TUcAAAYNA.png
Views: 550
Size:  27.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    70% EtoH, 1% Bleach, 0.5% NaOH will kill the virus.

But if you have the virus, spraying these on your body/clothes won't help.
    It'll just turn everything pink, like when my wife does the laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The old method (testing) indicates another decline today whereas the new method (clinical diagnosis) shows many more cases than previously reported.

Shortly after the new numbers were reported there was a purge of Hubei province party chiefs and party bosses who were replaced with party members aligned with Beijing. So one way to look at the new numbers is Beijing getting ahead of the story. The old local leadership was to blame, the new leadership will fix the problem.

The CCP aspect of this story/outbreak is hard to separate.

They should do a South Park about it. Or have a charity basketball game to raise awareness.
    I still call it The Jake.

Not sure how you tell the difference between COVID 19 and influenza clinically. All these respiratory viruses look pretty much the same. Like any epidemic or pandemic disease the great majority of cases will never be lab-confirmed.

Or maybe the new spike in cases is another new virus--COVID 20 anyone? But seriously, it is possible for the virus to mutate and become much more transmissable. But the most likely explanation is still the official one--changing the diagnostic criterion from lab-confirmed to clinically suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not sure how you tell the difference between COVID 19 and influenza clinically. All these respiratory viruses look pretty much the same. Like any epidemic or pandemic disease the great majority of cases will never be lab-confirmed.

Or maybe the new spike in cases is another new virus--COVID 20 anyone? But seriously, it is possible for the virus to mutate and become much more transmissable. But the most likely explanation is still the official one--changing the diagnostic criterion from lab-confirmed to clinically suspected.
    SARS has a molecular proofreading system that reduces its mutation rate, and COVID 19's similarity to SARS at the genomic level suggests it does, too.

Seems likely, it's certainly not helping. In spite of the reported slowing economy Beijing pollution levels still look really bad. There’s a 109 floor building a mile and half away in this image:

Name:  EQov4yyU8AI5UQf.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  53.4 KB
    It's from all the bodies they are cremating /s

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Or have a charity basketball game to raise awareness.
    Too soon after Kobe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    SARS has a molecular proofreading system that reduces its mutation rate
    Like Grammerly for viruses?

We received this communication today about Verizon Wireless inventory....

We have been informed by Verizon Wireless that there are ongoing inventory issues for many Apple and Samsung devices. Although not officially communicated, all indications are that the inventory issue is related to production in China and the Coronavirus (unofficial). Verizon has requested that an alternative device be offered at no cost while iPhone8 supplies are depleted. However, the issue really is that ALL model supplies are impacted. Though Verizon expects a shipment of devices on 2/28, there is no indication of how large the shipment will be and they anticipate supplies will go fast. This inventory issue affects all Verizon customers wishing to purchase these devices.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Too soon after Kobe?
    Nah, good time as any to poke the CCP in the eye.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    SARS has a molecular proofreading system that reduces its mutation rate, and COVID 19's similarity to SARS at the genomic level suggests it does, too.
    but aren't SARS and COVID 19 themselves mutations of previously harmless to humans viruses?

OP, please rename thread to #WuFlu

Called to make a doctors appointment and was asked "Have you recently been to China"? I said no and asked what would happen if I had said yes. Lady said "I'd ask if you had symptoms and yes or no I'd report your name to the health department."
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

In Honolulu for biz. China town is basically a ghost town.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Here is my advice:
    You have to have a plan to quarantine and isolate.
    Make a list of food supplies like condiments and spices.
    Know who you are going to eat first after becoming a zombie.
    Or before.
    Whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

CDC guy says go to fist bump instead of hand shake. I like it. Much less formal too. Friendlier.

I ran into a doc I have known for many years and we bumped elbows

I ran into a doc I have known for many years and we bumped elbows
    "hospital handshake"
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.