Page 338 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 ... LastLast
Results 8,426 to 8,450 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    We’ve been trying to take his dice away, because he clearly lost all his marbles.
    Just to put a perhaps more optimistic spin on this Sweden is trying another method of dealing with COVID. Herd immunity by exposing younger populations while segregation of elderly https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...-herd-immunity

Measure is per this NYT piece

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/o...e=articleShare

It sounds like what the US is proposing to do but without the plan of segregating the elderly. If I may paraphrase the US plan is expose the vulnerable parts of the population to COVID and roll actuarial dice for a cost-benefit analysis of gains of getting the economy rolling again vs downside of death/injury to vulnerable people.

So perhaps the Swedes are also thinking like the US.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The Norwegians, Swiss, Canadians I know are all really concerned about the US. Not flinging poo but just stepping back and looking at it clinically (well as clinically as one can given the circumstances), you Americans are going to be a real-time laboratory experiment for a new way to deal with this particular pandemic by dramatically departing from the path taken by the three countries who've been (so far) successful in dealing with COVID 19.

It's a hell of a roll of the dice.
    It will be interesting especially because strategies are different even state to state.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The Norwegians, Swiss, Canadians I know are all really concerned about the US. Not flinging poo but just stepping back and looking at it clinically (well as clinically as one can given the circumstances), you Americans are going to be a real-time laboratory experiment for a new way to deal with this particular pandemic by dramatically departing from the path taken by the three countries who've been (so far) successful in dealing with COVID 19.

It's a hell of a roll of the dice.
    My whole family would prefer I was safely quarantined with them in France, staring out the window at all the snow they don't get to ski and driving each other crazy while eating huge amounts of cheese and cured meats...
    I think I'd prefer that too. Beats going to work every day wondering when I get the axe or the covfefe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    We’ve been trying to take his dice away, because he clearly lost all his marbles.
    I don't honestly believe anyone knows what Trump is going to do 2.5 weeks from now...he doesn't even seem to know. Feels like he is just trying to put a light at the end of tunnel and keep the economy from completely collapsing. Or he is just doing Trump things.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

@leelau I’ll read the Swedish piece in a bit, going to get some sunshine for a minute.
    But to finish the lost marbles thought. All this would be different if he were in his second term. (I mean I hope it doesn’t come to that) but then there’s no drama of trying to be re-elected at all costs. From there it’s even more one step removed if you look at a country like Russia. Putin is going to do what he thinks is best and none of this party fighting bullshit. That’s part of what I was getting at in the previous subject of how countries govern, in addition to the cohesion of the populace.

Chinese Rat Flu

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It will be interesting especially because strategies are different even state to state.
    This could morph into a bad sci-fi movie with the some states getting pissed and closing their borders and going their own way. What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This is the ranting of a dangerously unhinged individual.

Of course he has said and done so many things where I've said "That's it. No one can possibly support him now!" and I've been wrong every time so far.
    Right. That's the point. This is his greatest challenge. He might pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    NY state has twice the population as Lombardi. Wouldnt common sense expect the total deaths to be double?

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    NY state has twice the population as Lombardi. Wouldnt common sense expect the total deaths to be double?
    Give it a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    this data is from Wuhan. To summarize re intubation--of 32 patients intubated 1 survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So that's his plan. Blame China and the media. Might work.
    Trump's approval rating is as high as its ever been right now. People actually think he's done a GOOD JOB dealing with this pandemic. Good lord I cannot even comprehend how dumb people really are in this country....
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/298313/...al-rating.aspx
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/polit...ing/index.html

So, I learned something today. I was using the word "decimated", as in, they're fucked, they're decimated, and was corrected that it doesnt mean what I thought it meant. I was using it as, damn, they're really screwed, the market is going to half. It doesnt mean that. It has it's roots from ancient Rome, only ten percent destroyed. Here, this guy explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Trump's approval rating is as high as its ever been right now. People actually think he's done a GOOD JOB dealing with this pandemic. Good lord I cannot even comprehend how dumb people really are in this country....
    Nate Silver had an interesting take on this a few days ago in his podcast. Basically the bump the orange twat is getting is considerably smaller than the standard rally-around-the-flag bump observed with similar events that threatened the nation (regardless of the quality of the response). It's significantly smaller than the bump the Italian PM and president have received despite the fact that Italians are dropping like flies and aren't particularly thrilled with the government's response.

Edit: not disputing the fact that people in this country are some of the dumbest POS ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    They did elect Obama twice...
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Jr was at 80+ after 911 as I recall. United We Stand
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

WRT the flu vs COVID-19 death rate from the previous page: the CDC death rate for influenze is Symptomatic Illnesses / Deaths = ~.01%.

So comparing asymptomatic COVID-19 with symptomatic flu doesn't make sense when there haven't been any serosurveys or serial viral shedding studies for COVID-19. Maybe most of the COVID-19 cases are asymptomatic or maybe asymptomatic numbers are false positives because tests can also pick up people who have been in contact with an infected person.

Comparing apples to apples, which for now may well make more sense, according to the latest research people with COVID-19 symptoms in Wuhan China had a 1.4% death rate. That's 140 times the symptomatic death rate of the flu.

https://files.springernature.com/get...7ffaQiUg%3D%3D

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Jr was at 80+ after 911 as I recall. United We Stand
    Many probably wouldn't mind having him back in handling this right now...gotta be better then what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Yeah, remember when we had a smart president who didn’t say dumb shit, and brought our country from an economic standstill back to prosperity?

I do.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yeah, remember when we had a smart president who didn’t say dumb shit, and brought our country from an economic standstill back to prosperity?

I do.
    I have very little memory of the actual Reagan Presidency, but I have read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Where are you getting 20% symptomatic rate?
    Jeffrey Shaman of Columbia University. "..Based on a study of 375 cities in China... 86% of cases were undocumented...-asymptomatic or had only very mild symptoms". https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abb3221

So no not made-up just rounded Down at every possible scenario to present the Worst Case.

You mean the senile one, who began the trend of deficits not mattering?
    That one?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sweet baby jesus you're a clueless idiot aren't you? Thankfully this is the last time I see your drivel. Into the ignore pile moran!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Re Trump's reelection--what matters is how things are going in Nov. Assuming we have an election in November. If the economy is great and deaths are flu-like numbers he will likely be reelected. If the economy is still in the total and millions die he won't be, assuming he is even alive.

Many probably wouldn't mind having him back in handling this right now...gotta be better then what we have now.
    I mean, my kids would be better than this. Sure, the oldest is 4, but she can string together complete sentences, maintain a focused train of thought for more than two minutes, and doesn't make all her decisions based on grifting enough money to cover debt payments that she can't afford.

We are officially locked down in Summit County, Utah, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Sweet baby jesus you're a clueless idiot aren't you? Thankfully this is the last time I see your drivel. Into the ignore pile moran!
    No, actually, good point. The same population that gave Obama two terms voted for Trump. Don't forget that.