Page 335 of 780 FirstFirst ... 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 ... LastLast
Results 8,351 to 8,375 of 19489
  1. #8351
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,730
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I wasn't being political that people in that area have a much different way of life regarding personal space. Even compared to other cities.
    I didn't take it that way. I was just making a counterpoint to those treating the south as monolithic Trumpland.

  2. #8352
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    5,859
    Ah, the roller coaster continues. After working yesterday, then being told yesterday afternoon to suspend field work and work from home for at least two weeks, things today are swinging back in the other direction and it looks like I'll be back to working as usual tomorrow or Monday at the latest.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  3. #8353
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    40,985
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Levity bennie. I am living this everyday. Most of my hospital clients are in defcon 5 and have been for weeks and my wife is a NP provider to kids with cancer. We go through an entire disinfectant routine every day to keep her myself and my kids safe. It looks like Chernoble in my garage every afternoon. We have been socially apart going on 2 weeks now and its a strain to our family
    So make your underwear jokes and call us rednecks if it makes you feel better.
    I meant Cuomo. If he has logos on his underwear.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  4. #8354
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I meant Cuomo. If he has logos on his underwear.
    That's how I read it too.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  5. #8355
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I didn't take it that way. I was just making a counterpoint to those treating the south as monolithic Trumpland.
    That is correct.

  6. #8356
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    7,295
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    serious question, but does anyone know the number of folks intubated that actually recover?
    I think that unresolved column is very telling. It has been steadily but slowly climbing in lockstep with the hospitalized cases but at a slightly slower rate.

  7. #8357
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I think that unresolved column is very telling. It has been steadily but slowly climbing in lockstep with the hospitalized cases but at a slightly slower rate.
    So I guess what I'm asking, is it a death sentence to be vented at this point in America. I feel like for some reason in Italy if you hit the vent you were done

  8. #8358
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    13,664
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You can throw out China because they are a couple months ahead of us. We have a good view of their total death count where we don't for most other countries. I think the difference in the other countries versus the U.S. could be in capacity. No area in the U.S. has yet been overwhelmed, which is the case in Italy for example.
    It may have been said already but one of my MD buddies was saying the only data we should be looking at is from SK and Germany because those are the only two places with widespread testing and that are unlikely to be manipulating the numbers in their favor, such as China. He pointed out that the deathrate looks like it's in the 0.1% to 0.15% range, similar to flu, but the obvious difference with COVID-19 is that it's easily transmissible. I guess that's sort of old news, but it was somewhat reassuring that its not as dire as some of the media outlets are painting it...not sure if that's just them being cautious, trying to get ratings, inability to focus their reporting, or some combination of those and other factors.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  9. #8359
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    7,295
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    serious question, but does anyone know the number of folks intubated that actually recover?
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    So I guess what I'm asking, is it a death sentence to be vented at this point in America. I feel like for some reason in Italy if you hit the vent you were done
    I read somewhere on Monday a nurse in the PNW saying that they haven''t extubated a live patient.

  10. #8360
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Or day 20 (not kidding)
    Pretty much this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gr1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	322217

    From:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...566-3/fulltext
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

  11. #8361
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I read somewhere on Monday a nurse in the PNW saying that they haven''t extubated a live patient.
    Ok. Well that's sobering. Not being glib and everyone should hold out hope, but I'd want more masks and tests and disinfectant before more vents if I was Cuomo. I can't imagine the Javit's center being filled with 1000's on vents waiting for a recovery that never happens.

  12. #8362
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,229
    I recall that patient zero in Italy was a super fit 38 yr old athlete and was on a vent for three weeks before he got off of it. Thatís gives me an indication of the level of suck it would be to go on a vent. Not a relaxing or preferable way to die. Alone.

    I just read that in 1980, the US had 6 beds/1000 population and now we are less than half of that at 2.8/1000. We havenít had sufficient nursing coverage in decades. Fuck our system.

  13. #8363
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    funland
    Posts
    4,646
    Name:  trumpmedia.png
Views: 500
Size:  32.6 KB

    If this is already the attitude, Easter could be a stretch. Also, makes the recent upticks in the stock market even more lollable.

  14. #8364
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    1,721
    He actually tweeted that. We are so unbelievably fucked.

  15. #8365
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    102
    This is a great site that has the numbers scaled by population. Have not found one that can do the US cities/states yet.

    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

    US is not too bad actually...yet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	total-covid-deaths-per-million.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	439.4 KB 
ID:	322218

    Adding Italy and Spain on here shows how much of a disaster it is.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	total-covid-deaths-per-million (2).png 
Views:	105 
Size:	418.3 KB 
ID:	322220

    I'm in Seattle, so I have been following the King County numbers. We are at 123 deaths for 2.189 million, so 45 per million. Certianly worse than most countries but wonder how it stacks up to other cities.

    Italy is currently at 112/million. Scaling that to US size would be about 35 thousand deaths total.

  16. #8366
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    It may have been said already but one of my MD buddies was saying the only data we should be looking at is from SK and Germany because those are the only two places with widespread testing and that are unlikely to be manipulating the numbers in their favor, such as China. He pointed out that the deathrate looks like it's in the 0.1% to 0.15% range, similar to flu, but the obvious difference with COVID-19 is that it's easily transmissible. I guess that's sort of old news, but it was somewhat reassuring that its not as dire as some of the media outlets are painting it...not sure if that's just them being cautious, trying to get ratings, inability to focus their reporting, or some combination of those and other factors.
    Fatality risk is just one metric. Every year somewhere between 5% to 20% of the U.S. population gets the flu. The percentages aren't higher because some people are vaccinated and there's also some herd immunity unless it's a novel strain. Setting aside uncertain fatality rates, other factors come into play like population susceptibility. Unfortunately, nearly everyone is susceptible to COVID-19.

  17. #8367
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Name:  trumpmedia.png
Views: 500
Size:  32.6 KB

    If this is already the attitude, Easter could be a stretch. Also, makes the recent upticks in the stock market even more lollable.
    That settles it, I'm definitely going to get told to resume work as usual on Monday. Whee. What a fuckin' assclown.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  18. #8368
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    22,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Saw your screen name and got excited for a minute that tele-hoar made a post. Anyone know how Scotty is doing?
    Haven't seen him in person in a long time, but he's been posting on FB and seems fine.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  19. #8369
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    10,500
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Well shit, I think I lost a friend to the virus recently. I had a tele-appt with my cardiologist this morning and he begged me not to go out anymore. Apparently he lost a patient that was a mt biker a few weeks ago, the guy couldn't get tested because it wasn't important yet and since there's no antibody test they can't prove it was Covid 19 but, all the signs were there. They did do an autopsy and his lungs were ravaged with fibrosis but so were two of the arteries around his heart, one is the same artery that I have a 70% blockage in and the other I have a 30% block in. He was pretty adamant about me staying away from all people, even said that if my wife goes out to go to the supermarket that I should move out and find another place to live. I was like where, the car? WTF... I was wondering why this person had stopped posting and wasn't showing up in pics from people that are out riding, I think I know now
    Shit! Be careful. Ive added vitamin D to my supplements. Supposed to help fight lung infections, among other things

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  20. #8370
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    40,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Name:  trumpmedia.png
Views: 500
Size:  32.6 KB

    If this is already the attitude, Easter could be a stretch. Also, makes the recent upticks in the stock market even more lollable.
    So that's his plan. Blame China and the media. Might work.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  21. #8371
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    30,929
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I think the south will be fine. We are spread out. Hell WV hung in to sweep the race to the first case recorded.
    Itís NYC I worry about.
    I thought they were the last state to record a case?

  22. #8372
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    13,664
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Fatality risk is just one metric. Every year somewhere between 5% to 20% of the U.S. population gets the flu. The percentages aren't higher because some people are vaccinated and there's also some herd immunity unless it's a novel strain. Setting aside uncertain fatality rates, other factors come into play like population susceptibility. Unfortunately, nearly everyone is susceptible to COVID-19.
    Thanks...and certainly not trying to dismiss the seriousness of COVID-19...but trying to convey some perspective that I thought was somewhat reassuring...if you can consider anything about this reassuring.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  23. #8373
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    tree OH TREE!!!!!
    Posts
    3,359

  24. #8374
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I thought they were the last state to record a case?
    Yes I misspoke I meant last


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #8375
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Thanks...and certainly not trying to dismiss the seriousness of COVID-19...but trying to convey some perspective that I thought was somewhat reassuring...if you can consider anything about this reassuring.
    Agreed, if the numbers pan out then it is reassuring for those of us in low risk groups who also have access to emergency care should the need arise. Heart and lung damage is still a concern for survivors and it's a miserable trip for the symptomatic regardless, even for so called "mild" cases:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/m...us-family.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •