Page 394 of 786 FirstFirst ... 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,850 of 19641
  1. #9826
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,244
    Wonder whether this is accurate

    “Data suggest faster spreading in the U.S., with the “reproduction number” of the U.S. at 2.44, higher than Italy at 1.48, while the doubling time of cases in the U.S. of about 3.7 days is lower than Italy’s at 10 days, “pointing to a significantly faster elevation of case numbers in the U.S. than Italy.”"

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-...of2&yptr=yahoo

  2. #9827
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    907
    Posts
    11,482
    Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Wonder whether this is accurate

    “Data suggest faster spreading in the U.S., with the “reproduction number” of the U.S. at 2.44, higher than Italy at 1.48, while the doubling time of cases in the U.S. of about 3.7 days is lower than Italy’s at 10 days, “pointing to a significantly faster elevation of case numbers in the U.S. than Italy.”"

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-...of2&yptr=yahoo


    If you saw the 2011 movie “Contagion,” about a worldwide pandemic of a new virus, then you’ve heard the term “R0.”

    Pronounced “R naught,” this isn’t just jargon made up in Hollywood. It represents an important concept in epidemiology and is a crucial part of public health planning during an outbreak, like the current coronavirus pandemic that’s spread globally since it was first identified in China.

    Scientists use R0 – the reproduction number – to describe the intensity of an infectious disease outbreak. R0 estimates have been an important part of characterizing pandemics or large publicized outbreaks, including the 2003 SARS pandemic, the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic and the 2014 Ebola epidemic in West Africa. It’s something epidemiologists are racing to nail down about SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. ...
    https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/round...-like-covid-19

  3. #9828
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You know who pays for tariffs, right?
    Is this a trick question. Our company passed on the tariffs we were hit with to the customers. Some of it the mfg. ate. But what the supplier didn't eat went right to the consumer.

    But let's get back to COVID-19 and death rates and social distancing and stay on topic!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  4. #9829
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,743
    Never been a fan of Walmart, but they just announced they will provide non n95 masks and gloves for employees that want them, and will be taking temperature of every employee reporting to work.

    Baby steps..

  5. #9830
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Is McConnell admitting that the pres fucked up the response?
    How many rallies and golf outings did trump do after the senate show trial?

  6. #9831
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,316
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    How many rallies and golf outings did trump do after the senate show trial?
    Name:  trumpgolfcovid19.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  98.2 KB

  7. #9832
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,740
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Guerilla Gravity is selling made-in-Denver carbon frames for less than pretty much everyone else. Matt's a smart MF, and that's a pretty specific industry, but couldn't other smart MFs find creative ways to bring manufacturing back if they really wanted to? Maybe not, I'm genuinely curious.
    The way I understand it, GG is able to do this because their process is mostly automated and requires way less labor than traditional CF where the lay up is done almost entirely by hand. Eventually, a lot manufacturing will probably come back to the USA via the same route. Can't say the same for most of the jobs.

  8. #9833
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    19,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The way I understand it, GG is able to do this because their process is mostly automated and requires way less labor than traditional CF where the lay up is done almost entirely by hand. Eventually, a lot manufacturing will probably come back to the USA via the same route. Can't say the same for most of the jobs.
    Well, it will if the U.S. leads the way in this automation technology.

  9. #9834
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,316
    I spoke yesterday with a small manufacturer who is using his Covid-19 plant closure downtime to start tooling up automation. He says realities of the market require automation or shipping jobs to places with lower labor costs. He's a Made-in-USA kinda guy, so he's going with robots. He was headed there anyway. Covid-19 closure accelerated his plans.

  10. #9835
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,878
    Alright, here's your first bit of interpretable data from a clinical trial involving hydroxychloroquine.

    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....22.20040758v1

    Here's your breakdown of the data:
    https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...roquine-trials

    There's a reason for optimism here. More data needed to fully get on the bandwagon.

  11. #9836
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    10,418
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    They gots stuff for dat

    Attachment 323075
    Fast track to sinus infection.

  12. #9837
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    41,020
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    FYI...in case you have never done it, buying and replacing the electronics in your appliances is not hard and is rather economic...if needed.

    As for washers and dryers and manufacturing in the US...I recently bought a set of Whirlpools. They work awesome and I am happy with them. Load and Go is way more convenient then I could of ever thought and having sanitation cycles on both the washer and dryer has come in handy during all this...even if it is all just mental. I have two small children that have been working through potty training and bed wetting. It is nice to be able to hit sanitize and have the washer dispense the detergent based on load weight, etc. Fill it up every couple weeks.

    Funny enough, the electronics are the thing I worry most about them...which is the parts probably made over seas (boards, etc.). The buttons are not tactile and you have to press for 3 seconds while it count downs...safety I guess? Sometimes they act out and I have to turn the machine off and back on. Been like that since new though.

    We also recently bought a Hot Springs spa. Made in San Diego. Great craftsmanship and quality...been super happy with it. Guess where my Tacoma was made? Also, my Outback?

    We can still make things in the US and frankly, I hope all of this gives consumers a new appreciation for American made. Heck, my company makes our stuff in the US, however, we do some assembly work in Mexico. With that said, I would also rather buy something made in Canada or Mexico over something made in China.

    We can all sit here and say how terrible Trump is, etc., however he has been more successful then our last couple presidents at negotiating trade agreements and is the first in a long time to stand up to China's trade practices. I think it is the one positive we can say about him.
    Aw, geez, you are really ignorant of global supply chains. Outbacks may be assembled in America, along with your other products , but parts are made all over the world and shipped here for that assembly. The Japanese started doing this in the eighties to both avoid present and future tariffs.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  13. #9838
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,743
    Maybe we can start re-investing in our infrastructure as one small part of keeping people employed.

  14. #9839
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    And that they are unable to multitask/dumb?
    But Trump Admin has time to roll back EPA regs?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...climate-change

  15. #9840
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,743

  16. #9841
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,316
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Guess where my Tacoma was made? Also, my Outback?
    No need to guess. American content is published. Outback is 45% American/Canadian content, i.e., made mostly outside the U.S. (e.g., engine and tranny made in Japan.) Recent Tacoma is 50-60% American/Canadian content, depending on year and specs. Older Tacomas have less U.S. content.

    Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton is 45% Mexican, 45% U.S./Canada, 10% elsewhere. Contrast Toyota Tundra: 65% U.S. content, including engine and tranny.

    Nationality of brand name doesn't mean shit, location of final assembly plant not much more.

  17. #9842
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,878
    Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    But Trump Admin has time to roll back EPA regs?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...climate-change
    The first time he tried that (a year ago?) I recall manufacturers saying that they were going to adhere to the new stricter regs anyway.

  18. #9843
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    3,778
    Can't say I disagree with this:

    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-adoring-press

    Cuomo is getting undeserved love...as I said before.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  19. #9844
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    7,677
    Gretch, rather than sidetrack this thread with your incorrect blatherings about Trump’s trade agreements, I suggest you google conservative opinions from WSJ and Cato Institute on USMCA vs NAFTA....or take yourself to polyass and ask nicely for some education.

  20. #9845
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,276
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    The first time he tried that (a year ago?) I recall manufacturers saying that they were going to adhere to the new stricter regs anyway.
    Well the manufacturers want to be able to sell the same model everywhere and vehicles built to these regs won't be able to be sold many places, they have no reason to build more-polluting vehicles. Besides I'm sure California and others will be fighting this in court.

  21. #9846
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    3,778
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    No need to guess. American content is published. Outback is 45% American/Canadian content, i.e., made mostly outside the U.S. (e.g., engine and tranny made in Japan.) Recent Tacoma is 50-60% American/Canadian content, depending on year and specs. Older Tacomas have less U.S. content.

    Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton is 45% Mexican, 45% U.S./Canada, 10% elsewhere. Contrast Toyota Tundra: 65% U.S. content, including engine and tranny.

    Nationality of brand name doesn't mean shit, location of final assembly plant not much more.
    I would definitely say final assembly is important and is jobs. Toyota plant in Texas has 1,850 jobs. I am guessing it does mean much more then shit to those employees and their families.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  22. #9847
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    3,778
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Gretch, rather than sidetrack this thread with your incorrect blatherings about Trump’s trade agreements, I suggest you google conservative opinions from WSJ and Cato Institute on USMCA vs NAFTA....or take yourself to polyass and ask nicely for some education.
    LOL. Funny guy.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  23. #9848
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    41,020
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Can't say I disagree with this:

    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-adoring-press

    Cuomo is getting undeserved love...as I said before.
    You lost me at: "But Cuomo has taken no action that differentiates New York from any other city or state coping with the same problem." Really? Um, maybe, governor of Florida, to start ? The carnage about to happen down there in the geriatric state is not going to be pretty.

    The Examiner is a wannabee Fox product.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  24. #9849
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    11,387
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    No need to guess. American content is published. Outback is 45% American/Canadian content, i.e., made mostly outside the U.S. (e.g., engine and tranny made in Japan.) Recent Tacoma is 50-60% American/Canadian content, depending on year and specs. Older Tacomas have less U.S. content.

    Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton is 45% Mexican, 45% U.S./Canada, 10% elsewhere. Contrast Toyota Tundra: 65% U.S. content, including engine and tranny.

    Nationality of brand name doesn't mean shit, location of final assembly plant not much more.
    The notion and language hasn’t kept pace with the changing world.

  25. #9850
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, yeah. You bought a machine that may last twenty years for about 700 bucks after reading biased sales propaganda that convinced you that others are buying machines that only last three years for the same price. They made you feel so smart. (more popular sarcasm)
    How much did you say I spent? And now shut up and get back to work on my taxes. I don’t pay you to talk back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •