Page 232 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    So why is "Spanish Flu" = ok, but "Chinese Flu" = not ok? I mean it DID come from there... along with SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, etc.

I mean how many worldwide pandemics can those guys keep kicking off before we can stop having to be so politically correct?

Until the Chinese government is willing to do SOMETHING about their vile "wet markets," then we get to talk some trash, ok?
    Do you have taste buds in the back of your throat?

If so, what does Hannity's dick taste like?

Anybody who's been paying any attention at all on this site for the past ~15 years knows BMills is not a Hannity guy, or even a political guy at all (on here at least), so kindly fuck off Lone Star.

worthwhile continued learning, cooking edition:

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/...box=1584394033

My email box sure blew up.

Every company who has ever had my email has sent out a series of emails about the virus. More email than I can read. The plus side? I get to remove myself from a bunch of mailing lists.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Day 37, the maggots turned on each other.

Oh wait, that’s every day.

Carry on
    I’m calling this Day 3 in my journal.

Imagine day 37, after so many hourly workers were laid off, parents locked inside with their kids, alcoholism booming? And that assuming they don’t shut off the deliveries of food to the stores or shut off the internet.

One way or another, It’s going to get nasty out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Would you prefer he call it the Kung flu?
    Best comment yet. How you holding out up there in Derry. Rutland Hannaford was good yesterday as long as you eat healthy. And don’t need to poop. But they were stocked decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I’m calling this Day 3 in my journal.

Imagine day 37, after so many hourly workers were laid off, parents locked inside with their kids, alcoholism booming? And that assuming they don’t shut off the deliveries of food to the stores or shut off the internet.

One way or another, It’s going to get nasty out there.

That sounds like a good argument for Pa. closing liquor stores.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    So why is "Spanish Flu" = ok, but "Chinese Flu" = not ok? I mean it DID come from there... along with SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, etc.

I mean how many worldwide pandemics can those guys keep kicking off before we can stop having to be so politically correct?

Until the Chinese government is willing to do SOMETHING about their vile "wet markets," then we get to talk some trash, ok?
    Fuck you

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Mofro, I know you're not an epidemiologist, but I'd be interested in your take on this article that Huckbucket posted a link to. While ge didn't go so far as to say he agreed, he didn't say he disagreed either. fwiw I think it's important https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/
    One thing I found at fault with it is that they used 7 deaths for the Diamond Princess. At one point I noticed an Diamond Princess case was counted as an Australian death. I contacted the folks at worldometers and asked about this
    No, he wasn't counted in the Diamond Princess totals. Only in the Australia
    ones.
    Criteria being where the person was tested positive: in the country of
    origin or on the ship.
    For the very interesting analysis that you suggested, we will need to track
    and count all cases which originated from the ship but were then counted in
    other countries, and add them back to the sample, which indeed would be the
    most representative to date.

Point being, just 1 more death changes the stats completely there and if there were three more deaths uncounted much moreso. Also there are still some not out of the woods yet there.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    My email box sure blew up.

Every company who has ever had my email has sent out a series of emails about the virus. More email than I can read. The plus side? I get to remove myself from a bunch of mailing lists.
    Yeah, is crazy the companies that want to let me know how much they care about their employees
    Great but unnecessary for me.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

US/Canada border closed for "non-essential travel"

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post

Ok, you are moran too. Never adding much except the opportunity to pile on the snark or lame joke.
    What can I say, I’m a dad, it’s in my nature.
    Are you Ron Johnson, too?
    Flicking pebbles, son, flicking pebbles.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If you kids want to stop the bickering and sniping, that's a fantastic link I posted above.

We have surpassed 200,000 cases, double the 100,000 as of March 6th.

So it took two weeks to double. Seemed like at the beginning of this, many were saying the cases would double each day, 80% of the world would be infected, millions would die. So far we are at 8,000 deaths.

I understand there are probably a ton of unreported cases, but can't imagine there are many unreported deaths. The article that I read with these stats tried to be all dramatic.."THE NUMBER OF REPORTED CASES HAS DOUBLED IN ONLY TWO WEEKS!"

If in another two weeks we are sitting at 400,000 cases and 16,000 deaths world wide, I would say we are doing pretty good containing it.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That sounds like a good argument for Pa. closing liquor stores.
    The NJ border town stores are the recipients of all this displaced demand.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

So it took two weeks to double. Seemed like at the beginning of this, many were saying the cases would double each day, 80% of the world would be infected, millions would die. So far we are at 8,000 deaths.

I understand there are probably a ton of unreported cases, but can't imagine there are many unreported deaths. The article that I read with these stats tried to be all dramatic.."THE NUMBER OF REPORTED CASES HAS DOUBLED IN ONLY TWO WEEKS!"

If in another two weeks we are sitting at 400,000 cases and 16,000 deaths world wide, I would say we are doing pretty good containing it.
    I read this as validation for the measures that are being taken, do I have that right?

Mofro, I know you're not an epidemiologist, but I'd be interested in your take on this article that Huckbucket posted a link to. While ge didn't go so far as to say he agreed, he didn't say he disagreed either. fwiw I think it's important https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/
    he has some good points and it is important to consider that 8/10 that do test positive will have mild disease. I'm not sure modeling on the Diamond Princess is relevent anymore because as of Mar17 there are 18 countries with more cases than the Diamond princess, and collectively, there have been hundreds of thousands of tests run thus far.

"If we assume that case fatality rate among individuals infected by SARS-CoV-2 is 0.3% in the general population — a mid-range guess from my Diamond Princess analysis — and that 1% of the U.S. population gets infected (about 3.3 million people), this would translate to about 10,000 deaths. This sounds like a huge number, but it is buried within the noise of the estimate of deaths from “influenza-like illness.” If we had not known about a new virus out there, and had not checked individuals with PCR tests, the number of total deaths due to “influenza-like illness” would not seem unusual this year. At most, we might have casually noted that flu this season seems to be a bit worse than average. The media coverage would have been less than for an NBA game between the two most indifferent teams."

Sars-CoV-2 is AS transmissible as the Flu, potentially higher, which is estimated to hit ~1 in 5 people each year, 35-50 million to result in that 12,000-60000 deaths/year. Bump that 1% COVID-19 to 20% and run the numbers as was down by the UK group and suddenly "just like flu" doesn't look so good even with a 0.3% mortality rate. This isn't going to be a blip and then go away anytime soon. Plus it's important to get that it now flu AND Sars-2 that are circulating, worse than just flu, there are some reported cases of co-infection too. It is going to be really hard to stop due to active spread in cases with very mild symptoms.

Of course my opinion is jaded because I do the vaccine and diagnostic side and this project landed in my lap mid-Jan which cratered my ski season before the lifts closed in down for good.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Yup, but at a huge cost to so many and how long will we have to keep this shit up? As soon as the world tries to get back to normal will it come back with a mutated vengeance? This could be an ongoing problem for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    US/Canada border closed for "non-essential travel"
    Is Canadians coming to the U.S. for gas considered essential or not?

I’ll take the over since test kits are just maybe starting to roll out. Can’t confirm cases without the kits.

The paradox of course is that some people say wtf was that all about! It’s the flu! Why did we need to quarantine/distancing/shut down for xx,xxx deaths!!! And the others say the shutting down kept numbers to xxx,xxx,xxx cases and XX,xxx deaths!

And we will never ever ever ever know who is right. But it WILL be political.
    Decisions Decisions

The quote I read was
    “We May never know if taking these precautions was effective...but we would certainly know if not taking these precautions wasn’t”
    Or something like that

Well put
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I read this as validation for the measures that are being taken, do I have that right?
    yet he has been someone complaining repeatedly about the overreaction.

And his analysis doesn't seem to understand exponential growth.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Anybody who's been paying any attention at all on this site for the past ~15 years knows BMills is not a Hannity guy, or even a political guy at all (on here at least), so kindly fuck off Lone Star.
    In Lone Stars defense, he was quoting AustinFromSA. Who deserved it.

But it WILL be political.
    I award you Understatement of the Day and perhaps the week.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"