Page 394 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,850 of 41810

Thread: Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You know who pays for tariffs, right?
    Is this a trick question. Our company passed on the tariffs we were hit with to the customers. Some of it the mfg. ate. But what the supplier didn't eat went right to the consumer.

But let's get back to COVID-19 and death rates and social distancing and stay on topic!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Never been a fan of Walmart, but they just announced they will provide non n95 masks and gloves for employees that want them, and will be taking temperature of every employee reporting to work.

Baby steps..

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Is McConnell admitting that the pres fucked up the response?
    How many rallies and golf outings did trump do after the senate show trial?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    How many rallies and golf outings did trump do after the senate show trial?
    Name:  trumpgolfcovid19.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  98.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Guerilla Gravity is selling made-in-Denver carbon frames for less than pretty much everyone else. Matt's a smart MF, and that's a pretty specific industry, but couldn't other smart MFs find creative ways to bring manufacturing back if they really wanted to? Maybe not, I'm genuinely curious.
    The way I understand it, GG is able to do this because their process is mostly automated and requires way less labor than traditional CF where the lay up is done almost entirely by hand. Eventually, a lot manufacturing will probably come back to the USA via the same route. Can't say the same for most of the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The way I understand it, GG is able to do this because their process is mostly automated and requires way less labor than traditional CF where the lay up is done almost entirely by hand. Eventually, a lot manufacturing will probably come back to the USA via the same route. Can't say the same for most of the jobs.
    Well, it will if the U.S. leads the way in this automation technology.

I spoke yesterday with a small manufacturer who is using his Covid-19 plant closure downtime to start tooling up automation. He says realities of the market require automation or shipping jobs to places with lower labor costs. He's a Made-in-USA kinda guy, so he's going with robots. He was headed there anyway. Covid-19 closure accelerated his plans.

Alright, here's your first bit of interpretable data from a clinical trial involving hydroxychloroquine.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....22.20040758v1

Here's your breakdown of the data:
    https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...roquine-trials

There's a reason for optimism here. More data needed to fully get on the bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    They gots stuff for dat

Attachment 323075
    Fast track to sinus infection.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    FYI...in case you have never done it, buying and replacing the electronics in your appliances is not hard and is rather economic...if needed.

As for washers and dryers and manufacturing in the US...I recently bought a set of Whirlpools. They work awesome and I am happy with them. Load and Go is way more convenient then I could of ever thought and having sanitation cycles on both the washer and dryer has come in handy during all this...even if it is all just mental. I have two small children that have been working through potty training and bed wetting. It is nice to be able to hit sanitize and have the washer dispense the detergent based on load weight, etc. Fill it up every couple weeks.

Funny enough, the electronics are the thing I worry most about them...which is the parts probably made over seas (boards, etc.). The buttons are not tactile and you have to press for 3 seconds while it count downs...safety I guess? Sometimes they act out and I have to turn the machine off and back on. Been like that since new though.

We also recently bought a Hot Springs spa. Made in San Diego. Great craftsmanship and quality...been super happy with it. Guess where my Tacoma was made? Also, my Outback?

We can still make things in the US and frankly, I hope all of this gives consumers a new appreciation for American made. Heck, my company makes our stuff in the US, however, we do some assembly work in Mexico. With that said, I would also rather buy something made in Canada or Mexico over something made in China.

We can all sit here and say how terrible Trump is, etc., however he has been more successful then our last couple presidents at negotiating trade agreements and is the first in a long time to stand up to China's trade practices. I think it is the one positive we can say about him.
    Aw, geez, you are really ignorant of global supply chains. Outbacks may be assembled in America, along with your other products , but parts are made all over the world and shipped here for that assembly. The Japanese started doing this in the eighties to both avoid present and future tariffs.

Maybe we can start re-investing in our infrastructure as one small part of keeping people employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    And that they are unable to multitask/dumb?
    But Trump Admin has time to roll back EPA regs?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...climate-change

Guess where my Tacoma was made? Also, my Outback?
    No need to guess. American content is published. Outback is 45% American/Canadian content, i.e., made mostly outside the U.S. (e.g., engine and tranny made in Japan.) Recent Tacoma is 50-60% American/Canadian content, depending on year and specs. Older Tacomas have less U.S. content.

Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton is 45% Mexican, 45% U.S./Canada, 10% elsewhere. Contrast Toyota Tundra: 65% U.S. content, including engine and tranny.

Nationality of brand name doesn't mean shit, location of final assembly plant not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    But Trump Admin has time to roll back EPA regs?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...climate-change
    The first time he tried that (a year ago?) I recall manufacturers saying that they were going to adhere to the new stricter regs anyway.

Can't say I disagree with this:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-adoring-press

Cuomo is getting undeserved love...as I said before.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Gretch, rather than sidetrack this thread with your incorrect blatherings about Trump’s trade agreements, I suggest you google conservative opinions from WSJ and Cato Institute on USMCA vs NAFTA....or take yourself to polyass and ask nicely for some education.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    The first time he tried that (a year ago?) I recall manufacturers saying that they were going to adhere to the new stricter regs anyway.
    Well the manufacturers want to be able to sell the same model everywhere and vehicles built to these regs won't be able to be sold many places, they have no reason to build more-polluting vehicles. Besides I'm sure California and others will be fighting this in court.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    No need to guess. American content is published. Outback is 45% American/Canadian content, i.e., made mostly outside the U.S. (e.g., engine and tranny made in Japan.) Recent Tacoma is 50-60% American/Canadian content, depending on year and specs. Older Tacomas have less U.S. content.

Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton is 45% Mexican, 45% U.S./Canada, 10% elsewhere. Contrast Toyota Tundra: 65% U.S. content, including engine and tranny.

Nationality of brand name doesn't mean shit, location of final assembly plant not much more.
    I would definitely say final assembly is important and is jobs. Toyota plant in Texas has 1,850 jobs. I am guessing it does mean much more then shit to those employees and their families.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Gretch, rather than sidetrack this thread with your incorrect blatherings about Trump’s trade agreements, I suggest you google conservative opinions from WSJ and Cato Institute on USMCA vs NAFTA....or take yourself to polyass and ask nicely for some education.
    LOL. Funny guy.

Can't say I disagree with this:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-adoring-press

Cuomo is getting undeserved love...as I said before.
    You lost me at: "But Cuomo has taken no action that differentiates New York from any other city or state coping with the same problem." Really? Um, maybe, governor of Florida, to start ? The carnage about to happen down there in the geriatric state is not going to be pretty.

The Examiner is a wannabee Fox product.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post

The notion and language hasn’t kept pace with the changing world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, yeah. You bought a machine that may last twenty years for about 700 bucks after reading biased sales propaganda that convinced you that others are buying machines that only last three years for the same price. They made you feel so smart. (more popular sarcasm)
    How much did you say I spent? And now shut up and get back to work on my taxes. I don’t pay you to talk back.

Those asshole Chinese apparatchiks and their censorship, at least we don't have to put up with that BS here in America:

Hospitals Tell Doctors They’ll Be Fired If They Speak Out About Lack of Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    How much did you say I spent? And now shut up and get back to work on my taxes. I don’t pay you to talk back.
    I was being conservative. I'll bet you can nail a nice LG for 500 and less.