Page 284 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 ... LastLast
Results 7,076 to 7,100 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Spoke with my nephew in Paris this morning. Official word there is they are expecting their illness / death rates to mimic Italy's and not to peak for another 3 or 4 weeks. He says if you are over 80 they will not treat you. They have not enough test kits nor medical equipment. So much for thinking our health system is so much worse then socialized systems.
    My sympathies to your nephew and to those in France. But you can shove that last statement up your jong ass.

So much for thinking our health system is so much worse then socialized systems.
    It's pretty clear that the linchpins here are availability of testing--which socialized medicine could help--and hospital capacity--which doesn't really have anything to do with whether the system is socialized or not.

Chinese Rat Flu

So much for thinking our health system is so much worse then socialized systems.
    How was RSK able to test so many? Germany? Both have universal. I would agree with you that the USA would screw it up.

Either way I’m not sure how that makes an argument for universal less compelling

Kind of a bizarre thought, but had this been an act of war (bioweapon), China would clearly have the upper hand based on the response.

I can understand not having tens of thousands of hospital beds or ventilators sitting idle, but I find it distressing and inexcusable that there is not an adequate and immediately available stockpile of PPE, or at the very least, the rapid capacity to increase production. These are not expensive and complex items, even N95 masks are a simple piece of equipment all things considered. That basic level of preparedness needs to always exist moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The reality is that this is the risk of being a small business owner. When this is over with demand will return and many will be able to reopen. Yes, it's going to suck for a year or two for lots of people. However, I don't think the economy should ever take precedence over the health and welfare of the populace.
    If we had unlimited resources we would spend unlimited amounts to save every single life we could. We don't. We have to make choices. In a world of finite resources every dime spent on one thing is a dime not spent on another. When it comes to health care, in a rationale world (not this one) we line up every way we can spend money to save lives, calculate the cost per year of life saved, spend all the money it takes to save the cheapest ones, then the next cheapest, then the next, until we run out of money.
    When we throw the world into a depression the amount of money we lose is the same as if we wrote a check for that amount and has to be figured into the cost of saving people from coronavirus. There are other costs to be considered--if half your employees are dead that's not good for business either.
    All this can be calculated--unfortunately by the time we have enough data in terms of deaths and costs the crisis will be over and we'll be looking at the past, figuring out if we did the right thing or the wrong thing.

Right now we're like a goalie facing a PK. Dive one way and there's a 50-50 chance it's the right way. Even if we dive the right way odds aren't good. If we just stand there, the odds of stopping the shot are zero.

Spoke with my nephew in Paris this morning. Official word there is they are expecting their illness / death rates to mimic Italy's and not to peak for another 3 or 4 weeks. He says if you are over 80 they will not treat you. They have not enough test kits nor medical equipment. So much for thinking our health system is so much worse then socialized systems.
    Oh, yeah, we're fucking killin' it with tests for everyone. When the beds are full, that scenario will occur here, too. America ain't as great as the Orange Turd would have
    the idiots who believe him think. He's gonna kill a large percentage of Americans just by being the twit, insano fuck he is.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Poor Italy ... they're still getting hammered. with no letup in sight.

-Total cases: 47,021➡️53,578
    -Death toll: 4,032➡️4,825

Attachment 321457

Attachment 321458
    Yeah I've been thinking about that. Tomorrow they will likely top 1,000 deaths/day and that number looks looks to increase daily for weeks.

We are three weeks behind and six times larger than Italy. Will our health care system prevent us from looking at 6k deaths per day 3 weeks from now? I'm not overly confident.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Yeah I've been thinking about that. Tomorrow they will likely top 1,000 deaths/day and that number looks looks to increase daily for weeks.

We are three weeks behind and six times larger than Italy. Will our health care system prevent us from looking at 6k deaths per day 3 weeks from now? I'm not overly confident.
    Agreed, but to be clear I think we're only between 1 and 2 weeks max behind Italy (as it relates to total deaths).

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

Here's a question for docs still practicing--are you using PPE when seeing patients without symptoms of COVID19 for other problems?
    I’m working in a high end Urgent Care with full lab, CT, US, and X-ray. We are using respirators for administration if nebulizers only. I’m in a surgical mask non stop and a lab coat for most patients. Disposable gown and gloves if they are coughing a lot. I shaved the beard when respirators got sparse so I could use an N95, but they are hard to find now. My hands are cracked and chapped from all of the washing and alcohol sanitizer.

I’ve been really impressed that people are staying home. It is waaaay better than hanging out with 20 of your sickest friends in the lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    I’m working in a high end Urgent Care with full lab, CT, US, and X-ray. We are using respirators for administration if nebulizers only. I’m in a surgical mask non stop and a lab coat for most patients. Disposable gown and gloves if they are coughing a lot. I shaved the beard when respirators got sparse so I could use an N95, but they are hard to find now. My hands are cracked and chapped from all of the washing and alcohol sanitizer.

I’ve been really impressed that people are staying home. It is waaaay better than hanging out with 20 of your sickest friends in the lobby.
    Good luck!..
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

3 mos to 100,000 infections
    12 days later 200,000 infections
    4 days later 300,000 infections
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Agreed, but to be clear I think we're only between 1 and 2 weeks max behind Italy (as it relates to total deaths).
    i was more referring to the course of the outbreaks here as compared to there but i could be wrong about that assumption too
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Do you really think that because you have insurance the US isn't going to have to adopt the same measures?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

US medical personnel are first rate. US top down coordination and healthcare systems do not meet "first rate" criteria based on past performance

AND in universal HC up here we don't have it all go thru a insurance comapny who gives the ya or nay, the MD will have his number and he uses it to submit bills directly to gov

America has the best HC in the world ... you just can't afford it

another question might be does the USA actualy have a " PUBLIC HC system " ?

but enough america bashing for now eh, been thinking about how china has 1.4 billion people, 81000 cases 3200 dead while italy has only 60 million people, 53000 case and 4800 dead

So more dead in a smaller population base ... it appears to be getting more deadly
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Numbers rather speak for a lot of undocumented cases. As most countries appear to have similar numbers when thoroughly tested.

We have strangely low and Italy strangely high numbers of deaths, but since we got it in another demographic, in low age groups, first (skiers and tourist returning from Italy and Austria and so on) it's highly likely our deaths will rise. According to our experts we have tested pretty well (140k a week last week?) so we get a few of the mild cases as well. Italy just doesn't test younger mild cases thus it seems it's the black plague.

Oh and BTW. Go USA! you have overtaken us (Germany).. you can be number one!
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    3 mos to 100,000 infections
    12 days later 200,000 infections
    4 days later 300,000 infections
    1918, 18 months to 50,000,000 deaths.
    It’s different now, buuuut....
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Chinese Rat Flu

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    AND in universal HC up here we don't have it all go thru a insurance comapny who gives the ya or nay, the MD will have his number and he uses it to submit bills directly to gov

America has the best HC in the world ... you just can't afford it

another question might be does the USA actualy have a " PUBLIC HC system " ?

but enough america bashing for now eh, been thinking about how china has 1.4 billion people, 81000 cases 3200 dead while italy has only 60 million people, 53000 case and 4800 dead

So more dead in a smaller population base ... it appears to be getting more deadly
    It’s a question of who has the best HC system for a pandemic? Not us, in my opinion.

We’re going to learn a lot about risk that was previously ignored. We rely on too many critical parts, and raw materials from the rest of the world.
    And Looking at the risk in the travel industry, airlines, vs. pharmacies and grocery store chains who would have ever imagined.

This will be a game changer for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

From my vantage point seems to perhaps have more to do with draconian containment measures versus healthcare systems. Although building a few makeshift hospitals in 5 days was an eyebrow raiser.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Oh, yeah, we're fucking killin' it with tests for everyone. When the beds are full, that scenario will occur here, too. America ain't as great as the Orange Turd would have
    the idiots who believe him think. He's gonna kill a large percentage of Americans just by being the twit, insano fuck he is.
    Tell us what you really think. And, yep.

USA's curve is already steeper than Italy's, 4700+ documented cases today. The USA pulled into 4th place on the documented infection rate race. Should be pulled into 3rd tomorrow, I give them less than a week to overtake Italy for documented infections. The USA will probably not have the same high mortality rate/infection only because they have more hospitals with more equipment but there will still be a shit ton of dead people.

It's not just the disease that will be killing people. The guy that got in a car accident? He's going to die because there is no place to treat him. The guy that crashed his mountain bike and broke his femur? He bled out internally on the gurney in the hallway. Appendicitis? He's fucked. ....
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

Why on earth would anyone believe the numbers coming out of China??

The US still are not testing enough for those numbers to mean very much.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I think ‘1 death per hour’ is kind of alarming.
    But it IS Fox, sooo

How many people die in NYC per hour on an average day?