Page 218 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    How so?

The Ace2 studies were released the third and fourth weeks of Feb. One inconclusive, one suggestive and one negative.

The CDC data is published in real time.
    Says the moron who thinks Norwegians can't travel outside of Oslo without making a trip a days long expedition.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

So at this point I know one person with a positive test here in VT. He is quarantined at home.
    Another person I know in the Chicago area with a negative flu test but all of the symptoms of COVID-19 (including the viral Pneumonia part). The hospital was only testing clinical cases and didn't have enough tests for those just displaying symptoms. So she is not sure if she officially has it or not but she is quarantining and taking antibiotics.
    Both are in their early 40's.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Let's face it, there are to many sickly old people on this planet and a lot of people know it. Our societies have diverted so many resources to a group of people that will show no return on that investment. I understand that taking care of the old and sick is considered the moral thing to do. But at what point does that morality become self defeating?

It is becoming more likely that future generations will see a declining standard of living. This virus may well bring this topic to the fore. The actions being taken, to largely protect people over the age of average life expectancy, are stunning to a degree. I understand that left unchecked the illnesses from the virus would overwhelm the health care's system to cope with other everyday emergencies.

I thought I caught something in the news that some Euro countries have considered not treating people over 80 years old. Is that idea completely out of the question for you? My parents are both in their late seventies and have had exceptional lives. They have been to every part of the world, enjoyed good health, and still have plenty of money. Do I want them to become sick and die? No. Do I want their old age to be a burden I my children to the point that they don't get the opportunity to experience what their grandparents did? No.

This virus may well be the impetus for some very hard choices in the near future.

WWCDS?

What Would Charles Darwin Say?
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I agree completely, but that will impede facial recognition tech used for surveillance, and we can't have that.
    Also the effects of chemtrails

So, if the CDC recommendations of ‘10 people’ per gathering are suggested, then how in the fuck are airplanes and airports still operational?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    viral Pneumonia part...

...taking antibiotics.
    WTF? Antibiotic resistance is a real thing.

Google "Recommendation definition"
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post

It is becoming more likely that future generations will see a declining standard of living..
    Depends how we define standard of living. Less needless consumption, less commute travel and more WFH, cleaner public places and restaurants, more domestic travel. I'm an optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Let's face it, there are to many sickly old people on this planet and a lot of people know it. Our societies have diverted so many resources to a group of people that will show no return on that investment. I understand that taking care of the old and sick is considered the moral thing to do. But at what point does that morality become self defeating?

It is becoming more likely that future generations will see a declining standard of living. This virus may well bring this topic to the fore. The actions being taken, to largely protect people over the age of average life expectancy, are stunning to a degree. I understand that left unchecked the illnesses from the virus would overwhelm the health care's system to cope with other everyday emergencies.

I thought I caught something in the news that some Euro countries have considered not treating people over 80 years old. Is that idea completely out of the question for you? My parents are both in their late seventies and have had exceptional lives. They have been to every part of the world, enjoyed good health, and still have plenty of money. Do I want them to become sick and die? No. Do I want their old age to be a burden I my children to the point that they don't get the opportunity to experience what their grandparents did? No.

This virus may well be the impetus for some very hard choices in the near future.
    We have decided it is worth several trillion dollars to extend the lives of a few million older Americans. The economic cost comes out to roughly $1MM per older person whose life is extended and the social cost is that for each older person whose life is extended we are going to uproot the lives of probably 10 or 20 younger people.

Chinese Rat Flu

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...navirus-tests/

Good article on why our testing is and was so screwed up. The TLDR version is that CDC lacked leadership and urgency and they aren’t sharing the details. Sounds like a mirror image of what the Orange Fool was doing and promoting. Spats seems determined to remove all blame from his dear leader and obfuscate facts to make the administration look favorable. Also, the idea that there was significant pushback from Democrats on banning travel or they wanted less done is a flat out lie. He’s bringing out a few opinion pieces of a very small minority and claiming Trump went against the all of the left to institute travel bans.

I don’t know how Spats can possibly blame a single state for a national deficiency. Also, regarding the false positives that Spats claims reinforce the hysteria, as Summit posted they aren’t testing people a single time and saying oh, he has it. There are controls in place to prevent false positives.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    At CDC quarantine sites they serial tests until two negative PCRs... and this was the standard for release of quarantine in most areas of US until they ran out of tests/testing capacity. A false positive would have quickly stood out.

So for false positive filtering, inclusion criteria is being sick. So we tested for other causes to avoid as well.

Usually we are testing for strep peumoniae and legionella in sick patients. We were doing RVP on anyone we tested for COVID. Then the RVP was having delayed TAT so we just did Flu AB RSV PCR unless sick enough to admit... but now we are literally running out of flocked nasal swabs for NP samples and the state doesn't want throat anymore.

We aren't testing anyone who isn't hospital sick because we can't. And we are still seeing 4-5 day TAT, can't even get priority for ICU patients

The testing situation is an absolute disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Depends how we define standard of living. Less needless consumption, less commute travel and more WFH, cleaner public places and restaurants, more domestic travel. I'm an optimist.
    I think the commute and wfh, this is the real first step for businesses to see how it’s going to work. 10 years down the road telecommuting will be much more common...and this is us getting thrown into the pool from that standpoint.
    Decisions Decisions

Sweet agenda 21 tinfoil chemtrail fema camp shit right there.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    WTF? Antibiotic resistance is a real thing.
    Actual quote from ER... “virus that attacked the throat which led to an infection the lungs causing pneumonia”

So maybe not actually "viral Pneumonia".

She is on her third type of antibiotic as the first two didn't seem to work.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I can't summarily dismiss this opinion.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/

John Ioannidis is an extremely knowledgeable voice, fwiw.

Annnddd....the Death Panels have appeared in this thread. Tired of waiting for a free house and travel cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Ever tried to get around Norway outside of Oslo?

Maybe by poor they meant you can get a hot pizza in the US for $5 in Norway its closer to $40 for the same shitty pizza.
    Please elaborate more on your extensive travels in Norway and the knowledge gained by your detailed studies of the economy there. Cause your bullshit doesn't seem to be anything like the experiences of the people who have actually been there.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Please elaborate more on your extensive travels in Norway and the knowledge gained by your detailed studies of the economy there. Cause your bullshit doesn't seem to be anything like the experiences of the people who have actually been there.
    Does watching Ragnarok on Netflix count?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Annnddd....the Death Panels have appeared in this thread. Tired of waiting for a free house and travel cash.
    You just focus on maintaining a 6' distance.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Says the dolt that roots for deflation so his little stash lasts longer.
    They'll be no death panel for you Bunny, straight to the soylent green factory for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    We have decided it is worth several trillion dollars to extend the lives of a few million older Americans. The economic cost comes out to roughly $1MM per older person whose life is extended and the social cost is that for each older person whose life is extended we are going to uproot the lives of probably 10 or 20 younger people.
    It's not the first time, this country has sent millions of young men and women off to be killed or maimed for our wars.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    WWCDS?

What Would Charles Darwin Say?
    Go forth and evolve!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

No, there is not some magic_number% of the population, between 40% and 70%, that is eventually going to get infected with coronavirus no matter what. It's not one fixed calculation based on the virus vs. the health of the population.

No one believes the numbers from China. But what about Singapore? Hong Kong? Taiwan? Japan?

Maybe containment will work in the Bay Area and Santa Cruz. We'll know in a week or two.

Yes, the start has to be about containment/reducing transmission:
    Masks, Tissues. Washing hands. Not being within 6 feet of more than a few other humans. People with symptoms getting tested asap. Tracking contacts.

But it's not a zombie movie. Once infected, people aren't contagious forever. From a horrific and tragic 93% to a flu like 99.7% will recover and have immunity. Why is Germany's mortality so low? There may be a vaccine. Viruses becomes less novel over time, so they spread less and less.

Flattening the curve means reducing both the slope, and the peak.

Didn't really want to play high school drop out epidemiologist, but it seemed like my previous post wasn't making the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo T. Clown View Post
    Didn't really want to play high school drop out epidemiologist, but it seemed like my previous post wasn't making the point.
    You may be right, but it's hard to take someone named "Bozo T. Clown" from Funkytown seriously.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by up an down View Post
    Says the moron who thinks Norwegians can't travel outside of Oslo without making a trip a days long expedition.
    Never been to Norway eh?

Bergen the closest major (some might say only) city in Norway is an 8 hour train over a 400km route. So about the same as a trip between Bellingham and Portland (6 hour train ride).