Page 299 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 41810
    It's going to get a lot harder to say "I wouldn't wish this..." in the coming days

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/covi...c09e7817d.html

Chinese Rat Flu

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Good on ya mate

But don’t you see the parents and scratch your head thinking why can’t they spend some of that cigarette and coffee and iPhone money feeding the kids?
    Not where I am. Mostly kids of farm workers and other laborers that clean and service houses of dentist. Must be rough having disposable income and being able to shit on the less fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Surgical masks are designed to keep shit in, that's why they wear them in surgery, to keep the doctors/nurses etc. who might be sick from making a vulnerable patient sick. If everyone wore them (or a reasonable facsimile) it would help keep the sick among us from infecting other people. This is dead simple stuff.

Surgical masks are not very effective at keeping you from getting sick, but if you are infected they are effective at keeping you from getting someone else sick. I bet they're not a dime apiece at mass production volumes, there's not much to them. I don't understand why this is not public policy.

Save the N95's for medical staff and first responders.
    We put surgical masks on symptomatic patients in our 911 system. Until we run out anyway. Or oxygen masks if they need oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    My daughter works at McDonalds, she’s worked the drive through two days this week on an 8 hour shift. At least Friday they finally got gloves for them. She works 4-12 tonight, not real fond of the whole idea.
    That’s scary. Not sure what I’d tell her if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

@Natty's post: Makes complete sense. Don't let the sick guy make other people sick if you can help it.

And in society, with a sickness that is often asymptomatic, you just have to assume that everybody's sick. That can change later but for now masks on (once we have some of them). It has to be a mandate from above and compliance needs to be as complete as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Surgical masks are designed to keep shit in, that's why they wear them in surgery, to keep the doctors/nurses etc. who might be sick from making a vulnerable patient sick. If everyone wore them (or a reasonable facsimile) it would help keep the sick among us from infecting other people. This is dead simple stuff.

Surgical masks are not very effective at keeping you from getting sick, but if you are infected they are effective at keeping you from getting someone else sick. I bet they're not a dime apiece at mass production volumes, there's not much to them. I don't understand why this is not public policy.

Save the N95's for medical staff and first responders.
    How about if you’re sick or think there’s a risk of exposing others, you quarantine yourself rather than putting on a surgical mask and going out in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    You would think the GOP would
    Be doing more to save their voter base.
    They are doing their best to save the 1% and corporations.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Name:  E8F67F5F-C380-4B86-AD6B-7C1F7E5D1FFB.jpeg
Views: 550
Size:  86.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    How about if you’re sick or think there’s a risk of exposing others, you quarantine yourself rather than putting on a surgical mask and going out in public.
    That’s exactly what asymptomatic refers to.
    They won’t know they’re sick. They need supplies. They need to deliver your fucking postmate cheeseburger.

Everyone is a risk st this point. What is the fucking harm of covering their airholes? Don’t wanna look weak?

My wife’s hospital told her she’d be getting one N95 mask tomorrow for the whole week, but she can’t use it until she gets it fitted later. Wtf?

Wow.

Did the POTUS just completely lose his shit on live TV?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Channel?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

okay we'll follow your plan and just trust that nobody walking around is infected. should work fine.

Yep.

Romney quip.

Cost him billions to be a war time president.

Stainless steel everywhere on hospital ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Hey numb nuts, you’re fucking wrong. Few people if any in gen pop know how to wear a n95 in a way that would protect them in any significant way.
    When did I say anything about an N95? Don't put words in my mouth please.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Everyone is a risk st this point. What is the fucking harm of covering their airholes? Don’t wanna look weak?
    I swear it's just because they're afraid of looking silly. great reason.

I think there's a youtube library of that.

Not sure I could watch it again, maybe in Late September.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

nowhere did he say what you inferred. not everyone knows they're sick. that's why we (and he, see post above yours or others) advocate everyone wear a mask when they go out. Obviously there are supply problems, cause , who knew.....
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

i wear my stretchy neck gaiter when i go into a store, well, couple days ago. feels like i'm robbing the place. its to protect others more than me. its easy and why the fuck not.

Chinese Rat Flu

Summary: (correct?)
    -if you’re feeling sick, don’t go out
    -wear mask covering mouth and nose when out to avoid getting other sick in case you are shedding virus (infected) and not experiencing symptoms.
    -Social distance (hard/impossible to do at grocery), wash hands, and don’t touch face to protect self (if your not sick) or keep from infecting others if you’re infected and not experiencing symptoms or carrying virus on things like your phone
    -burn phone, clothes, shopping bags, and all groceries before you step inside house

I've been wondering when seeing people wearing masks would be normalized (for me)

Today at the grocery store was that day.

I have two masks left over from an insulation project. I'm going to start wearing them when I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    All pre market crash too if he'd said anything alarming you'd now be blaming him causing panic for the crash. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

https://youtu.be/zDAmPIq29ro

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    I’m sure many of his other mentally challenged followers would agree with you. To the rest of us, he and you are just idiots, throwing your hands up in response to abject failure, and saying it was all that can be done. Meanwhile we have direct evidence of countries with competent administrations who’ve done much better.

Mammoth Lakes says stay the fuck out.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ndemic-spreads

Hoping to escape coronavirus, city dwellers are fleeing to California’s deserts and mountains

Just two weeks after Gina Grande landed her dream job in San Francisco, authorities ordered residents to stay home in a desperate bid to slow the spread of the coronavirus. Rumors of fistfights breaking out in grocery stores soon followed.

“Overnight, the world took a sharp turn into the Twilight Zone,” Grande said. “I had to get out of there. So, I made a beeline to my boss’ office and said, ‘This is awkward, but can I please telecommute from Southern California?’”

She hit the road that night and headed for a three-bedroom second home she operates as a short-term rental on the outskirts of Joshua Tree. Along the way, a distressing advisory came over her cellphone: A client in Los Angeles had just auto-booked the place for three weeks.

“I texted a sincere apology about having to cancel their reservation,” she said.

As the coronavirus pandemic tightens its grip on California’s largest cities, some residents are fleeing urban sprawl and seeking shelter in isolated communities in the Mojave Desert or rugged Sierra Nevada. Their hope, they say, is to avoid possible public unrest and limit their exposure to the virus.

These new urban immigrants are not entirely welcome, however. Locals fear their arrival could overwhelm the public health systems of small towns already struggling to cope with the growing crisis, and public health officials worry the movement will lead to greater spread of the highly contagious virus.

In Los Angeles, Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Thursday night that residents were forbidden from moving to or from vacation homes outside the city, along with a number of other health and safety restrictions aimed at fighting contagion.

In Mammoth Lakes, a small Eastern Sierra town that survives primarily on skiing at Mammoth Mountain, the tourism board this week told nonresidents to keep out. “The reason is simple,” the board’s website announced. “As a small, remote mountain community our healthcare facilities lack the capacity to handle a widespread outbreak of COVID-19.”

Joshus Tree
    Joshua Tree, a desert community about 130 miles east of Los Angeles, has been inundated with outsiders.
    (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)
    The migration appears to be driven by fear, and the nation’s sudden shift toward teleworking, which has afforded urban residents greater freedom to roam.

Joshua Tree, a threadbare desert oasis roughly 130 miles east of Los Angeles, has been inundated. Ordinarily, many of the community’s 1,160 short term rentals would be occupied by park goers and desert weekenders, but now they are being snapped up for weeks and months at a time. Some property managers there say the first two questions asked by prospective clients are: “Do you have anything available for several weeks or longer?” and “Do you have internet access?”

“We just confirmed two rentals for long-term stays over three weeks,” said Josh Sonntag, who operates several rental units in the area. “In both cases, social distancing and the ability to work remotely was important.”

The clients declined to comment. But Sonntag said one of the rentals was reserved by a couple who “figured Joshua Tree was a good place to get to know their baby without the stress of a city environment.”

Bryan Wynwood, owner of Joshua Tree Modern Real Estate, said, “Every call I get is related to the coronavirus. Some of them are from city dwellers worried about being stuck in the center of a metropolis that loses control of its basic public services.”

But some of the new arrivals are former residents scrambling to move back into second homes and home-sharing rentals they own in town, which had been generating extra cash by catering to the 3 million people who visit Joshua Tree National Park each year.

Joshua Tree
    Gina Grande, who left her apartment in San Francisco to escape the coronavirus shutdown, takes a stroll in the desert next to her home in Joshua Tree.
    (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)
    Sam Steinman, 28, a professional rock-climbing coach who owns several short-term rentals in Joshua Tree, said he has become alarmed by the desperation in people’s voices. When he recently told two medical workers in San Francisco that he had nothing to rent to them, they offered to pay him more than double the usual price.

“I’ve seen this kind of fear and desperation before in Israel during rocket attacks,” he said. “A friend recently asked if I had a gun he could borrow. I said absolutely not.”

Leroy Westerling, a professor at UC Merced and an expert on risk management issues related to climate change, suggested that “some of these big city migrants may be moving into a remote environment they don’t fully understand.”

“A lot of these rentals are in remote areas that are prone to flooding and wildfires,” he said, “and serviced by cash-strapped hospitals ill equipped to handle a surge in population threatened by coronavirus.”

“Personally,” he added, “if I got sick, I’d rather be in San Francisco or Los Angeles.”

In isolated Mammoth Lakes, about 300 miles north of Los Angeles, officials are trying to halt a seasonal trend that normally sees the weekend population quadruple as skiers and snowboarders flock to the Mammoth Mountain ski area.

Now, with the ski area closed due to the pandemic, tourism officials are trying to discourage Airbnb customers and people from out of town who own home-sharing rentals in the area from taking up long-term residence until the threat subsides.

They say medical care is a primary concern. With only one ventilator and 17 emergency beds at the local hospital, patients in dire condition are sometimes flown by helicopter to a hospital in Reno.

Sam Roberts, a Mammoth Lakes resident and president of the nonprofit group Friends of the Inyo, summed up the anxieties in the area this way: “When driving up from Los Angeles, travelers make several stops along the way — for gasoline, for food, to stretch their legs. Trouble is, they could be picking up the virus and bringing it into town with them.”

Yet, the seriousness of the threat posed by the virus seemed to have eluded massive crowds of rock climbers from across the nation who as recently as last weekend still crowded bouldering hot spots just west of the Sierra Nevada town of Bishop, about 45 miles south of Mammoth Lakes.

Defying social distancing, hundreds of them camped together in the backcountry and piled into local restaurants and watering holes, putting themselves and the community at risk for infection.

“Some of the behavior has been disappointing,” lamented Bishop City Councilwoman Karen Schwartz, who on the following Monday closed a mountain climbing retail store she manages in town. “Health authorities around the world are screaming at us to take this virus seriously in order to avoid becoming another Italy.”

On Friday, Italian officials announced that 627 people with COVID-19 had died in just 24 hours, raising the nation’s total number of coronavirus deaths to more than 4,000.

Yucca Mesa in Joshua Tree
    Tracy Fisher managed to leave Italy just as the coronavirus was exploding and now enjoys the isolation of her home overlooking Yucca Mesa in Joshua Tree.
    (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)
    Thoughts of Italy were also in Tracy Fisher’s mind when she decided to head for a home-sharing rental perched on a mountain in Joshua Tree. The 53-year-old had been in Austria when the coronavirus began to make its grim presence known in Europe.

“In late February, while I was in Vienna, authorities started ordering people who had recently been in Italy to quarantine for two weeks,” she said. “I quickly learned that just mentioning the word ‘Italy,’ or even saying ‘grazie,’ the Italian word for thank you, could transform a warm welcome into fear and horror on people’s faces.”

She arrived back in the U.S. this month to find that fear and confusion over the continuing spread of the coronavirus, combined with travel restrictions issued in several cities and counties, had triggered waves of cancellations at short-term rentals across the nation.

Now, many of those vacancies are snapped up by city residents and owners of shared-home rentals with plans to hunker down for months, if necessary. Their presence may eventually reshape the culture and economy with demands for creature comforts they left behind: shopping centers, wider roads, more schools.

In the meantime, Fisher said the euphoria of being home again is already starting to wear off. Under gloomy gunmetal gray skies on Wednesday, she gazed out at the vista below of washboard dirt roads lined with Joshua trees and modest homes and said, “The isolation here can be more than I can handle.”

“As soon as the coronavirus pandemic clears up,” she added with a smile, “I’m leaving town.”
    Last edited by Rideski; 03-22-2020 at 07:32 PM.