Page 249 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Thing is we just don't know. I have been trying to minimize but have had to go out many times.

What about him? How careful had he been? He has already demonstrated to me a lack of appreciation for the situation.

I have an elderly mother who has no one but me. She is currently in lock down at her senior residence. I need to be able to bring her supplies.

What about my farm animals? Who is going to feed and water them if I'm in hospital?

It's not about you or me, or any of us as individuals, it's about taking collective action to mitigate the damage this could do throughout the country. The greatest good for the greatest number sometimes means exposing oneself to more risk.

Annnddd....the debate begins. It moves on from hoax, which, of course, it wasn't, to, are we throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/democr...n-the-disease/

"A 2018 study by the National Academy of Science of the USA found stresses from the 2008 recession literally lifted US blood pressure. A 2016 Lancet study found some half a million cancer deaths worldwide were linked to the same recession. A study from Oxford found more than 10,000 suicides were linked to the recession.
    More? Post-recession austerity drove 10,000 suicides in the EU and US, 10,000 British families into homelessness and one million people into depression, according to a report in The Guardian in 2013.
    A Covid-19-prompted recession now looks a certainty. How long it will last is unknown. If the virus peaks in April, there is the possibility of a bounce back, driven by pent-up consumer potential exploding, and a V-shaped recovery in the summer. But that is speculation.
    What is more certain is those at mortal virus risk fall into clear percentiles. Those at risk of economic fallout represent a far wider category. The upcoming recession could feasibly kill more than the virus."

Thing is we just don't know. I have been trying to minimize but have had to go out many times.

What about him? How careful had he been? He has already demonstrated to me a lack of appreciation for the situation.

I have an elderly mother who has no one but me. She is currently in lock down at her senior residence. I need to be able to bring her supplies.

What about my farm animals? Who is going to feed and water them if I'm in hospital?
    Offer him one of your many heated outbuildings.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It's not about you or me, or any of us as individuals, it's about taking collective action to mitigate the damage this could do throughout the country. The greatest good for the greatest number sometimes means exposing oneself to more risk.
    I am responsible for my mother and animals. That comes first.

He has made this trip for years. It was his choice. My choice is to choose my family's health first.

We all have choices to make.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

We’ll have really hard choices to make as time goes on
    FIFY

KQ, he should understand where you're coming from and if he doesn't, he isn't a good friend worth worrying about. Do what is right for you and your family/animals and forget what people say or think is my motto.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

A friend called last night and wanted to stop/stay at my place on his way home to Missoula from CA where he'd been wintering. I politely refused much to his surprise. He's a doctor in his 70s. He should know better IMO.

Meanwhile I found out last night W2 has 48 people waiting on results. Oy vey.
    I’ve been keeping myself away from everyone since I was on a flight from CDG for 10 hrs. My boss asked me if I was bored, would I go run errands in Idaho Falls since work is crazy busy. I told him I didn’t think it would be a good idea since the chances that I’ve been exposed may be low, but I didn’t want to be that person that ran all over town shedding the virus because who knows even though I feel fine.

The selfish among us begin to reveal themselves.

In unrelated news, I'm getting a real kick out of this Cuomo press conference. "Go outside, run, walk the dog, go to the park, but stay away from each other!" Love it.

A friend called last night and wanted to stop/stay at my place on his way home to Missoula from CA where he'd been wintering. I politely refused much to his surprise. He's a doctor in his 70s. He should know better IMO.

Meanwhile I found out last night W2 has 48 people waiting on results. Oy vey.
    You know that old folks aren't more likely to have it. In fact, I would say an asymptomatic old person is less likely to have it since they are more likely to have more severe symptoms.

Even in these times, kindness is still a bridge.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Chloroquine is used to prevent and treat malaria
    watch out for snakes

Why would old folks not have it?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    I’ve been keeping myself away from everyone since I was on a flight from CDG for 10 hrs. My boss asked me if I was bored, would I go run errands in Idaho Falls since work is crazy busy. I told him I didn’t think it would be a good idea since the chances that I’ve been exposed may be low, but I didn’t want to be that person that ran all over town shedding the virus because who knows even though I feel fine.
    Idaho hasn't placed any restrictions on those located there correct?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Why would old folks not have it?
    Didn't say they wouldn't have it, just that they would be less likely to have it and be asymptomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Didn't say they wouldn't have it, just that they would be less likely to have it and be asymptomatic.
    I think that at this point a distinction has to be made between old folks who are healthy and kept themselves in shape, and those that didnt. So, yeah, most are screwed, but, not all.

I think that at this point a distinction has to be made between old folks who are healthy and kept themselves in shape, and those that didnt. So, yeah, most are screwed, but, not all.
    My one hope.

So I've got one kid flying in today from college today and another flying in from India in the coming week. Neither shows symptoms (not surprising given they are both under 23yo) and are not 'known' to have been exposed to COVID-19.

Serious question - is it safe to give them a hug when I see them? We will all be living under one roof, so does it matter if I hug them when I see them or if we end of touching all the same door knobs/surfaces over the next several weeks anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    About that early chloroquine data ...

A more complete picture is emerging. The devil is in the details, but it means we should be cautious in concluding that there was a benefit.

https://www.mediterranee-infection.c...l_DOI_IJAA.pdf

- obviously we know it was a small study (only 24 patients)
    - It was also open-label, meaning the patients knew what they were getting which can play into the psychology of response
    - It was a non-randomized study which means that factors that influence hospital admission may also influence demographics which may also influence response
    - the "control" group (i.e. those that didn't get the drug) were from another hospital. Each hospital may have a different success rate in resolving infections.
    - Most importantly, 6/26 (23%) in the drug arm dropped out of the study, 1 due to death and 3 transferred to ICU

This is one reason why larger, well-controlled trials are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    My mom used it back in late 70’s to treat lupus

Has this NPR interview been posted? Please listen to this- https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020...se-coronavirus

Beyond the headline it is an incredible interview with someone who knows what they are talking about. Hey much worth the 9 minutes to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    KQ, he should understand where you're coming from and if he doesn't, he isn't a good friend worth worrying about. Do what is right for you and your family/animals and forget what people say or think is my motto.
    What would Chuck Norris do?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Chinese Rat Flu

So after reading about the idea to bring in hospital ships to affected areas (increasing capacity of local medical systems), I've got to say it's not a bad idea. Yes it does involve the military, but it could make a real difference with the spread of COVID-19

This pandemic has clearly demonstrated the need for hospital capacities to be more flexible (in this case be able to expand rapidly), and it should hopefully be a wake up call for the 'industrialized' nations that need to prepare better. Its obvious at this point that most have failed. Building up that spare capacity and maintaining it is going be an expensive endeavor, and it's got to be somewhat insulated from politics. Trump is a great example of how easily we can throw away disease preparedness in search of cheapskate ways to cut the deficit (and look good to voters). His admin thought they could get away with that, but it's come back to bite them on the ass real badly.

But back to the hospital ship idea. The military should definitely build more hospital ships long-term and mothball them in a way that still allows quick reactivation and deployment. They already have an army of medical personnel spread across the globe and have the capital to move them around. Investing in a few more of those could really pay off long-term, since a huge chunk of the pop'n live on/near the coasts.

But what about rural areas? Doesn't help them there unfortunately, so how do you solve this problem with (the already compromised) rural health care system?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    You know that old folks aren't more likely to have it. In fact, I would say an asymptomatic old person is less likely to have it since they are more likely to have more severe symptoms.
    I think the point is that it's a two-way street. KQ didn't want to possible infect him and vice versa.

i think the mortality rate has more correlation to underlying conditions than it does to age. a large percentage of which are the result of a lifetime of not taking care of oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    So I've got one kid flying in today from college today and another flying in from India in the coming week. Neither shows symptoms (not surprising given they are both under 23yo) and are not 'known' to have been exposed to COVID-19.

Serious question - is it safe to give them a hug when I see them? We will all be living under one roof, so does it matter if I hug them when I see them or if we end of touching all the same door knobs/surfaces over the next several weeks anyway?
    So it’s come to asking TGR if you should hug your own kids.

My oh my.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums