Page 21 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Where’s your vendor’s factory(ies)? How involved are the sub assemblies?
    Just trying to gauge differences in supply chain complexity.

Government had announced an extra week of holiday back when the virus first hit. Our guys are so heavily automated they decided to get going early.
    Not sure exactly where most of the boards are made, I should find out. This was just for PCBs. We do assembly in the US. It's pretty low volume business

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Is there anyone else that doesn't give a rat's shit about this virus? In any way whatsoever?

Or the impeachment garbage?

Just want to know, is it just me?

Even if you did give two shits, could you affect it?

Then why?
    Global and local economy would be one. Fascinating like a hurricane would be another. Or on a more personal level, I have a mom, 7 aunts and uncles, and their 7 spouses all over the age of 70.

I admit sticking my head in the sand about some things. But the more public demand for real data to shut them down and get a handle on this the better.

Why do you care about people putting lettuce on a taco or what type of tortilla they use?

This graph represents 5 million people leaving the start zone in the last couple weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7094C3FE-6F00-46B6-AF52-6D98DA3A593D.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	583.1 KB 
ID:	314503
    Last edited by Rideski; 02-08-2020 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Global and local economy would be one. Fascinating like a hurricane would be another. Or on a more personal level, I have a mom, 7 aunts and uncles, and their 7 spouses all over the age of 70.

I admit sticking my head in the sand about some things. But the more public demand for real data to shut them down and get a handle on this the better.

Why do you care about people putting lettuce on a taco or what type of tortilla they use?

This graph represents 5 million people leaving the start zone in the last couple weeks.

Name:	7094C3FE-6F00-46B6-AF52-6D98DA3A593D.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	583.1 KB 
ID:	314503
    I make my own tortillas, and I've never added lettuce, and I don't have a mother, father, cousins, etc. I don't have a girlfriend, a wife, a cat, or a dog. So, I am in a very different position.

Still, my position stands, what can you really do about it? And why should it matter?

I do want to make clear that I really respect you as a poster. I just don't understand the fundamental angst. What are you going to do but worry and post?

Bummer. Cancel the mask order. The quarantine center that was going to be here in the forest has been nixed. Gonna put infected returnees in RV's in a nearby suburban location. Getting to be like a Chinese Fire Drill. No one seems to know who's on first. RV dealer made bank.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

@ makers, thanks. We should make some turns some day.
    Wouldn’t exactly say I’m worried. It is kind of fascinating, and in the event that it does become pandemic would be good to be informed to help take care of the family as best possible.
    I think various governments are pushed by the public in some measure to get off their ass. Seriously I’ve been reading for weeks and haven’t seen one journalist speak of the people who will be manning the cargo ships. Getting a question like that into the right hands could make a difference. Pretty sure CDOT is reading our i70 thread. Who knows who’s reading this. I guess I should take initiative to email somebody. Just seems so elementary I didn’t figure I needed to.

This is the only social I have. Glad to make turns anytime. But my question stands: why do you fret on this?

I can only change the space and place where I have influence, where I have laid my mortal little piece of shit life on this planet to make influence. Right here, locally, and I do. I do a lot.

Gretta, she actually has no influence in terms of policy. People will disagree, I will say, great, It's good to have a pissed off activist, like activism these days lasts more than some IG posts. It's pathetic.

I personally know senators, congressmen, attorney's general. I could make influence on some random point... But, we're dead in 3 decades, and I'm saving those for things that matter to me.

And the flu is not one of those things. Virus. They have it figured out. Amazing little structures. The rest is abominable. Try poverty, diarrhea.

Now we can make some global change. Not worried about the cruise ship detainees, not worried about much really.

What keeps you up at night, because if I shared mine, you might not like it.

Seriously, no offense, this is a very good conversation, not a combat that I want to win, or lose. It's how you look out of your eyes at the world and how you approach your impact in this small way in our brains.

Well again fretting and worrying are a bit strong. More than anything probably fascinating. I mean I can vote in the US election. Am I going to make a difference? Maybe. That’s kind of why I hate politics and ignore it most of the time. But some of it is still fascinating. I read about various wars throughout history, are they going to change my life? No. I was reading about the floods in WA and southeast, will they affect my life? Kinda maybe not really.

Name:	6CF3DFE8-C3CF-4C38-ABF1-129C516E7315.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	784.6 KB 
ID:	314505
    Name:  0EE5D899-4F50-487A-BF96-66B29F8E39A2.gif
Views: 583
Size:  144.9 KB

Name:	6A69161D-5863-484B-8D9B-83E83C065ACE.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	979.1 KB 
ID:	314507

Well and to your edit, they don’t have this one figured out. Most viruses are rhino. This is corona. It’s an animal virus. We don’t know the death rate. Could be 2% could be 6%. And it is spread by diarrhea in addition to coughing. That’s going to be a big fucking problem in the poverty backwoods of China and then when it gets to Africa.

But speaking of being kept up, imma crashin now.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Well and to your edit, they don’t have this one figured out. Most viruses are rhino. This is corona. It’s an animal virus. We don’t know the death rate. Could be 2% could be 6%. And it is spread by diarrhea in addition to coughing. That’s going to be a big fucking problem in the poverty backwoods of China and then when it gets to Africa.

But speaking of being kept up, imma crashin now.
    Cheers
    Sleep well my internet friend. I hope to as well. Thanks for the dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Is there anyone else that doesn't give a rat's shit about this?

Even if you did give two shits, could you affect it?

Then why?
    This describes 99% of topics discussed on TGR. Maybe 100%.

You’re asking what the point of discussing something - other than practical advice from one person to another on how to do something. Otherwise this is no different then discussing sports, sports cars, politics, hamburgers, or who can ski the best.

Frankly I find the majority of TGR topics fascinating. Including viruses.

Is this virus gonna infect me? Probably not. Is it gonna affect me? It already has in multiple ways. Work plans changed. Travel plans changed.

It also seems very worth discussing because next time the virus mild not be this benign. And it’s worth seeing how different countries/societies respond - both from a human interest standpoint and also from a “how to I judge state controlled news coming out of China” point.

A person doesn’t have to “fret” to find this topic interesting. I find most people trying to downplay this topic as taking a “I’m too cool and tough to care about viruses - you wimps are all panicky pussies” attitude. Not saying that’s you - too hard to tell based on just internet posts.

I’m still waiting for this thread to turn serious. If you get the flu, if you’ve been traveling, is it going to give you some extra worry? I’m glad I don’t travel for work and mostly drive to ski.

Scary images coming out China. Scary to think you could be holed up with your family and the govt could drag you all out of your home. Even scarier to think that it could be justified. In America, we’d break down even faster. Bullets would fly.

Precarious balancing act society takes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone ever play Plague Inc.? I played it briefly. My middle kid loved it. I am unsettled by it because it seemed to me like crowd sourced bioweapons research. What a great way to distribute the workload of simulations.

The stats I’ve seen suggest a mortality rate for Corona roughly 10X regular flu.

Meanwhile in Colorado:

Health advocates are blaming anti-vaccine propaganda perpetuated online for the death of a four-year-old Colorado boy from the flu earlier this week.

The boy’s mother, Geneva Montoya, admitted in a Facebook post that she refused to fill the doctor’s prescription for Tamiflu, the most common antiviral medication prescribed to treat the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    The stats I’ve seen suggest a mortality rate for Corona roughly 10X regular flu.
    Maybe up to 25x flu mortality, depending on the season, and considering that flu fatalities are reduced by vaccination with a special focus on vulnerable populations like the young and the old.

Meanwhile in Colorado:
    Of pediatric flu patients who died, their vaccination rate was 21%.

We have a flu vaccine. It's pretty pretty effective at reducing morbidity and mortality. And yet so many don't get the vaccine, often because of antivax falsehoods heard online.

There is no Coronavirus vaccine.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Do the math. as of 8 am today

34963 cases minus 725 dead minus 2394 cured = 31817 still sick after 30 days. Seems getting "over" the flu takes more than 4 weeks?

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

I hear makers^^^ up there loud and clear, and I'm not gonna walk around worrying about this by any means, but, like Rideski, I'm curious and it's interesting and I'll continue to follow it. Sorta half-considering buying a few masks because of all the knuckleheads that will buy them all up and hoard them if/when it blows up here, but I don't want to be one of the knuckleheads, so...yeah.

What keeps me interested and following the "news" is the govt practicing to set up small quarantine sites. The 1st attempt was 10 miles away until they switched to 5 RVs in a parking lot next to a health center. WTF is going on? My odds of surviving if I get sick are on the low side so there's that.

If history repeats itself, the vaccine wouldn't be available until 5-10,000 or so Americans are dead and a market for a vaccine is big enough to justify the investment. Ugly truth with capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I hear makers^^^ up there loud and clear, and I'm not gonna walk around worrying about this by any means, but, like Rideski, I'm curious and it's interesting and I'll continue to follow it. Sorta half-considering buying a few masks because of all the knuckleheads that will buy them all up and hoard them if/when it blows up here, but I don't want to be one of the knuckleheads, so...yeah.
    Forget masks. Unless your riding a subway to work or something. They help prevent people from spreading it, not so much receiving it.

I wonder what the common flu kills in the US each yr?

If it became an issue here, just load up on weed and stay home.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    If it became an issue here, just load up on weed and stay home.
    My rat flu program is already in effect apparently.

Here ya go: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

But as has already been pointed out, the actual mortality rate of the flu is much lower (for a variety of reasons; could also be even lower but for dildo anti-vaxers) than for Carona (so far) so all things being equal I'd rather get the flu if I had to get one or the other. Stay tuned though, things can and will change.

No vaccine for corona has to effect the mortality outcome when compared to the winter flu.

the good news is the chinese technology won't work here because we all look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    My rat flu program is already in effect apparently.
    This is why I bother to read threads like these.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."