Page 33 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    New research issued from a report by the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has discovered that foodborne illness increased in 2018. FoodNet (The Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network) conducts research for CDC and found 25, 606 infections, 5,893 hospitalizations, and 120 deaths were caused by foodborne illness in 2018.

While several E. coli breakouts have dominated recent headlines, there are many other diseases and bacteria that foodservice professionals must watch for. Several of these illnesses experienced dramatic increases in 2018 when compared to 2015-2017:

Cyclospora (399%)
    Vibrio (109%)
    Yersinia (58%)
    STEC (26%)
    Campylobacter (12%)
    Salmonella (9%)

And that doesn't include flu, colds, etc.

1. Yeah restaurant cleanliness and sanitation are involved in almost none of those.
    2. The majority of the increases were the result of increased use of CITDs for testing, with the exception of cyclospora which was linked to romaine lettuce whether it was from a restaurant or not.
    3. The salmonella outbreak was linked to an egg farm that didn't follow regulations and whether you were at a restaurant had no bearing on it.
    4. The rise in vibrio occurrences is thought to be related to warming coastal waters
    5. Here is a link to the report which includes this summary right above the part you quoted.
    The incidence of foodborne infections has remained largely unchanged. Clinical laboratories are increasingly using culture-independent diagnostic tests (CIDTs) to detect enteric infections. CIDTs benefit public health surveillance by identifying pathogens not routinely detected by previous methods but complicate data interpretation.
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/...cid=mm6816a2_w
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Ok, fair enough. I still avoid restaurant food...and crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think it wise for people to restrict their information on COVID 19 to authoritative scientific sources. As an example in the misinformation in this article, a review I did of of several scientific sources seems to indicate that COVID 19 is about 50% more transmissible than influenza with a mortality rate of 2-3% compared to perhaps 0.1% for influenza. The actual numbers for both diseases are hard to know, given the large numbers of undiagnosed cases for both diseases. The actual numbers for COVID 19 are particularly hard to get at because the disease has not been recognized for very long.

I'd suggest that people consider the reliability and expertise of any information source about COVID 19 (and everything else). Contrary to the belief of some, scientists for the most part know what they are talking about, have no agenda, try to convey information as accurately as possible, and adjust that information as often as new information warrants.

Things get murky when political leadership starts to interfere, which certainly could happen with COVID 19, as it may impact the election. (Worth remembering that Obama's ran as the candidate who had opposed the war in Iraq but the biggest issue facing his administration was the Great Recession. Bernie Sanders might be running on domestic economic and social issues but I could see a scenario where his administration would be focused on containing COVID 19--if it hasn't disappeared by then, like SARS.)
    This post should be stickied.

I'll just add:
    1. I think the cat is out of the bag and this will become pandemic at some point over the next few months with health impacts similar to 1958 or 1968 paninfluenzas.
    2. PRC lies
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    If you guys aren’t stocked with enough bourbon and beer to last two weeks I just don’t think we can be friends.
    This is how I weathered Snowpocalypse 2014.

It worked.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'll just add:
    1. I think the cat is out of the bag and this will become pandemic at some point over the next few months with health impacts similar to 1958 or 1968 paninfluenzas.

^I think the main goal of trying to slow it's spread is to get past the next month or two when it should slow down seasonally and health departments could respond more effectively because regular flu has slowed down too. then have a vaccine next time it rolls around (although it will mutate).

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    ^I think the main goal of trying to slow it's spread is to get past the next month or two when it should slow down seasonally and health departments could respond more effectively because regular flu has slowed down too. then have a vaccine next time it rolls around (although it will mutate).
    Partly that and partly keeping the prevalence low enough for the health care system to be able prepare and absorb these resource taxing patients without entering into extreme triage and collapse (like what happened in 1918/1919, or Wuhan).

Last edited by Summit; 02-25-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

We are sooooo fuct..........This is the Acting DHS Secretary. MAGA.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...on-coronavirus
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think it wise for people to restrict their information on COVID 19 to authoritative scientific sources.
    I agree. Here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...260-9/fulltext

What are the odds the summer Olympics get cancelled?

Given the risk to the elderly--generally defined as 65+ for medical purposes, I predict the election will pit Klobuchar or Buttigieg vs Pence. Everyone else will be dead.

^^^^ I like the way you think. I will sacrifice Bernie for a dead Dump
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

If Bernie gets covid he needs to embrace Trump at the debate. Like really embrace him. Maybe a little bit of deep throat kissing.

he could just grab him by the pussy

Ohh....bang, boom, snare hit, cymbal crash.

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    We are suppose to go to Yurp in April. I wonder if the trip insurance covers us cancelling over this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    ^^^The WHO doesn't use the term "Pandemic" any longer. By definition, it's already a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    What are the odds the summer Olympics get cancelled?
    ^^^Most likely, I would predict, the summer Olympics get cancelled.

Prediction: The spread is ramping up quickly. It's growth has really just started to grow exponentially to the point where people are beginning to pay attention, and in the next 30 days we're going to see a shit ton of towns/cities on lock-down. This will undoubtedly last through the spring and there is no way the Olympic Committee will be able to justify a large scale world event this summer.

Guys it’s totally under control

National Economic Director Larry Kudlow on Tuesday claimed the coronavirus is “contained” in the United States after public health officials warned earlier in the day that the virus will likely begin spreading throughout the country.

“We have contained this,” Kudlow, President Donald Trump’s top economic adviser, said during an interview with CNBC. “I won’t say airtight, but pretty close to airtight.”

“This is a human tragedy,” he continued. “That’s the worst part of this. The business side and the economic side ― I don’t think it’s going to be an economic tragedy at all.”

Kudlow spoke as financial markets sharply declined for a second day as investors speculated how the virus, named COVID-19, might affect the global economy.

His statement appeared at odds with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s assessment during a news conference earlier Tuesday, where officials warned of a potential pandemic.

“We expect we will see community spread in this country,” said Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. “It’s more of a question of when.”

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    We are suppose to go to Yurp in April. I wonder if the trip insurance covers us cancelling over this issue?
    We are starting to see cancellations of vacations here due to flying fears. It’s here.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    We are starting to see cancellations of vacations here due to flying fears. It’s here.
    Yeah vibes to the resort communities. It might be a rough time next few months and in to Christmas (as people tend to book the December trips way in advance).

I was at home depot here in SLC and every construction mask was sold out, and there was a sign that said 'Limit 10 per customer'. It was a very very large rack of masks. I'd like to think it had nothing to do with preppers, but I dunno for sure.

They are estimating 40% less visitation to Yellowstone/GTNP, so this might be the year to visit!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I was at home depot here in SLC and every construction mask was sold out, and there was a sign that said 'Limit 10 per customer'. It was a very very large rack of masks. I'd like to think it had nothing to do with preppers, but I dunno for sure.
    Dude, you're in Utah.... the Mormons are preppers.

https://mormonbeliefs.org/2016/05/02...sday-preppers/

They are estimating 40% less visitation to Yellowstone/GTNP, so this might be the year to visit!
    Hmmm.....

Yes but are travel insurance companies covering this under “trip cancellation” clauses. The thinking is no not likely. Maybe with a doctors note saying the traveler has some sort of pre-existing condition that lends itself to the medical recommendation not to go there. Or if a whole country is closed off to tourists - that would likely be covered.