Page 385 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,625 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    N.J. Files Charges for Violating Social-Distancing Orders (1:25 p.m. NY)

In New Jersey, Governor Phil Murphy made good on a promise to name and shame people accused of violating social-distancing orders. His attorney general, Gurbir Grewal, sent out a news release detailing cases against a score of people, an unusual move for low-level offenses like disorderly conduct.
    Among the residents facing charges are four buddies who met to drag race in a school parking lot, men who held weddings, a woman who left her home to toss a Molotov cocktail at her boyfriend’s residence -- unsuccessfully -- and a billiards hall owner who reopened after he was ordered to close. At least a dozen people have been charged with threatening to transmit the virus.

I bet she could argue self-defense what with all the domestic violence going on. That's essential, right?
    Please just fucking stop doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are and started life long ago as malaria treatments, to the point that the only malaria strains that aren't chloroquine-resistant are from parts of Central America W. of Chagres and Dominica.
    So the Trump Pandemic will likely have the effect of making all the current strains of malaria chloroquine-resistant...
    Actually, I believe quinine was the first malaria treatment. But I could be wrong...OG?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Nationwide only 29 deaths since around 11am yesterday. We're done everyone can go back to work now.
    Could be good news or it could mean all the people who count the dead are dead (or off on Sunday)

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I couldn't help but notice my dog's vaccinations say they include protection from coronaviruses. After going back to get more, I've only had a sore throat when I bark.

Brilliant. Now you're going to have a whole bunch of people giving themselves dog shots. Better than fish tank cleaner I suppose.

OG is Jesuit's Bark

Jesuit's Bark, also known as cinchona bark,[1] as Peruvian Bark, and as China Bark, is a former name of the most celebrated specific remedy for all forms of malaria, as it contains quinine. It is so named because it was obtained from the bark of several species of the genus Cinchona, of the family Rubiaceae, that have been discovered at different times and are indigenous in the Western Andes of South America and were first described and introduced by Jesuit priests who did missionary work in Peru. Other terms referring to this preparation and its source were "Jesuit's Tree", "Jesuit's Powder" and "Pulvis Patrum".

History
    The history of cinchona bark dates back more than 350 years. Circa 1650, the physician Sebastiano Bado declared that this bark had proved more precious to mankind than all the gold and silver that the Spaniards had obtained from South America. In the 18th century, the Italian professor of medicine Ramazzini said that the introduction of Peruvian bark would be of the same importance to medicine that the discovery of gunpowder was to the art of war, an opinion endorsed by contemporary writers on the history of medicine. The value of Jesuit's bark, and the controversy surrounding it, were both recognized by Benjamin Franklin, who wittily commented upon it in his Poor Richard's Almanac for October, 1749, telling the story of Robert Talbot's use of it to cure the French Dauphin. Weddel (d. 1877) observed, "Few subjects in natural history have excited general interest in a higher degree than cinchona; none perhaps have hitherto merited the attention of a greater number of distinguished men". Dissension, however, was rife at the time, mainly due to its source of discovery, the Jesuits. Alexander von Humboldt said, "It almost goes without saying that among Protestant physicians hatred of the Jesuits and religious intolerance lie at the bottom of the long conflict over the good or harm effected by Peruvian Bark". ...

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    But I doubt that it is a vast conspiracy to make some money of a cheap malaria drug that is already widely used to treat lupus and RA. The FDA just reduced the regulatory hoops that a doc has to go through to prescribe it.
    There weren't any regulatory hoops before. Any doctor can legally prescribe a drug the FDA has approved for one reason to treat any other disease. No paperwork, no need for any approval, just write the scrip or the order. Drugs are prescribed for nonapproved indications all the time. The FDA's action might help a doctor defend themselves in a malpractice suit or before the medical board if a patient had a complication from the drug, but it doesn't make it any easier to prescribe.

My guess is that the reason they took the action is that Trump doesn't know that docs could already prescribe it. He wanted to know why it wasn't approved so the FDA said fuck it, we'll approve it, knowing it would make no difference.

Just got a call from Westchester County Health Department.
    Their initial release protocol was (after all the symptoms are gone) they'll conduct two tests a day apart to get two negative results to release from the quarantine.
    Now they are saying quarantine starts from the day of the test result (we got test results 6 days later on March 19th) and ends two weeks later if there's no symptoms over 72 hours without medication.
    Boyfriend is probably pretty close to end the quarantine since he hasn't had symptoms past two days.
    I still have some days to go to start 72 hours.
    They still want us to wait til they call us to release.
    But at this rate, we don't know when the next call will come.
    I'm just glad to find out we weren't forgotten in the system.

Not sure if this link made it in here already

Check the US or your state's hospital resource stats

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

If antimalarials work, I should be solid drinking a shitload of G&Ts, right?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post

I don't understand. You mean you haven't been since this whole thing started?

some of the complications of covid are related to your immune system's reaction (?over reaction) to the infection (leading to fluid filling your lungs) - so lightly putting your foot on your immune system's brakes - through small but regular doses of alcohol - could be how we survive. Adding in some quinine is like a bonus health booster on top. Do your part and I'll do mine

Denmark may be able to slowly reopen thier economy after Easter. They have had success compared to other EU nations for several reasons. They were one of the first European countries to announce a full closure of public schools and institutions, to impose strict limits on social gatherings, and to close its borders. They also credit the willingness of Danes to unite in following the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I don't understand. You mean you haven't been since this whole thing started?
    Need to make the switch from brown water, as I didn’t get the original memo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.31.12 PM.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	723.8 KB 
ID:	322978

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.31.33 PM.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	615.0 KB 
ID:	322979

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.31.48 PM.png
Views: 596
Size:  609.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    'Abolish For-Profit Health Insurance,' Say Progressives as Analysis Warns Companies Could Hike Premiums by 40% Amid Pandemic - "Corporate-run health insurance isn't about saving lives. It's about making as much money as possible.
    https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...emiums-40-amid
    Biden on TV today saying, nope, no way, not on my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    In honor of this threads title, I heard they just found the source of the pandemic, as in this dude bringing home the bacon:

Attachment 322963

China had already banned trade in wild animals, and a month ago fortified it with “Comprehensively Prohibiting the Illegal Trade of Wild Animals, Eliminating the Bad Habits of Wild Animal Consumption, and Protecting the Health and Safety of the People,” thus banning all trade and eating of non-aquatic wild animals.

But they have their usual loopholes like for medicinal purposes, and bear bile is now in the crosshairs for curing coronavirus:

https://www.facebook.com/ScienceNatu...8022025322820/

So expect more viruses out of the "medicinal" markets.
    People gotta eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    This is the next stage. Civil unrest. Not too long ago I thought, oh man, a milestone will be closing the subways and metro north. Ironically, they're still running as essential services in a city that is basically where I thought it would be after that transit shutdown. Now, riots of some sort, probably food.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Just got a call from Westchester County Health Department.
    Their initial release protocol was (after all the symptoms are gone) they'll conduct two tests a day apart to get two negative results to release from the quarantine.
    Now they are saying quarantine starts from the day of the test result (we got test results 6 days later on March 19th) and ends two weeks later if there's no symptoms over 72 hours without medication.
    Boyfriend is probably pretty close to end the quarantine since he hasn't had symptoms past two days.
    I still have some days to go to start 72 hours.
    They still want us to wait til they call us to release.
    But at this rate, we don't know when the next call will come.
    I'm just glad to find out we weren't forgotten in the system.
    Where are you going to go? Everything is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.31.12 PM.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	723.8 KB 
ID:	322978

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.31.33 PM.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	615.0 KB 
ID:	322979

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.31.48 PM.png
Views: 596
Size:  609.8 KB
    Kicking Italy when it's down. USA!

Quick, time to hoard all the tonic water before everyone else figures this out!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Not sure if this link made it in here already

Check the US or your state's hospital resource stats

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
    Methinks that modeler is bunk as it only assumes 80k deaths, far below any estimate I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Quick, time to hoard all the tonic water before everyone else figures this out!
    Don't bother. I bought it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    4:41
    4:42
    4:45
    4:46
    4:48
    You made it to 5:00 Benny, time for a cocktail!

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Methinks that modeler is bunk as it only assumes 80k deaths, far below any estimate I've seen.
    They are pretty straight forward about their assumptions of country-wide and well maintained strict mitigation, which is something that will not be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You made it to 5:00 Benny, time for a cocktail!
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Maybe one of the med people can answer:
    Obviously an asymptomatic person is contagious.
    But are they less contagious than a severely ill person?
    Not just because of the coughing sneezing, but just the viral load itself?
    Like viral load in asymptomatic still registers on test, but not very much.
    Very sick person, more virus and growing?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    In principle you're correct, but it's more complex than that (surprise). It's a fairly good bet for CV19 that the severity of disease is proportional to the viral load, but location clearly matters. For example, this virus can have limited, but some GI issues presumably independent of the viral load in the nose/throat area where testing occurs. That scenario could impact testing and infectivity.

^^
    All of this is unknown at the moment though
    This thing moves so quickly. It's exhausting.

https://journals.lww.com/ajg/Documen...G_Preproof.pdf

"In nearly one-quarter of cases stool samples test positive when respiratory samples are negative"

Talk about a nightmare.

We’re back to my gi theory- can a person butt-chug covid and just have diarrhea and then get immunity without the risk of pneumonia