How long do NIB ski boots really last?

I'm looking at buying buying a brand new pair of 2011 alpine boots. I currently have the same boot, but I'm thinking I might buy a back up pair for when they wear out. Am I crazy to think if I store them in the box at a moderate temperature that they will last 5 more years, plus 8-10 years of skiing? At that point they will be 22 years old. I've been in the same model boot since 2009. I've tried many boots over the years and nothing works for me like these do.

subscribed

should be fine

I personally would not do this, but whatever I'm not you. If you store them in a box in a climate controlled room, limiting thermal and humidity cycles, I can't foresee the shell deteriorating all that much.

As for the liner, many foams naturally outgas quite a bit, idk how those will be after 22 years but they'll probably suck at least as much as they do now.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Get one of those vacuum storage bags off amazon. That will cut down on the humidity and bugs that could mess with the liner.

One of these guys.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VL5P7MN...f_rd_i=3744541
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

You're going to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    I personally would not do this, but whatever I'm not you. If you store them in a box in a climate controlled room, limiting thermal and humidity cycles, I can't foresee the shell deteriorating all that much.

As for the liner, many foams naturally outgas quite a bit, idk how those will be after 22 years but they'll probably suck at least as much as they do now.
    They'll be getting custom liners no matter what.

I figured they be fine, but thought I'd throw it out there.

We're all gonna die. How many times must I say it?

Shells will last indefinitely, at least until 2525 -- if Man is still alive, if Woman can survive

i have a couple pair of 10 yr old boots that are exactly the same I got the spare off a Mag for the shipping and I bought him a beer

they seem fine sitting on the shelf, i keep meaning to try them out
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The red ones will absolutely last longer. This is indisputable.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

So plastic has improved since the 80s (outgassing, etc.)?

I had a pair of 1984 Nordicas (red ones ... really). I spent 6 years in the 90s on the dark side, with various Tele boots.

I tried the Nordicas on sometime in the late 90s and pieces were cracking off as I buckled them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

All boots have a unique expiration date - it's really hard to find but if you pull the liner out it should be stamped on the inside of the bottom of the shell. YOu can make boots last a long time by using some of the methods mentioned above - temperature/humidity controlled, limit UV exposure, drink at least 1 beer out of the boot at the end of each season, etc....but NEVER past the expiration date of the shell.

what are the boots....
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    what are the boots....
    Salomon Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    limit UV exposure
    This

Skiing 2009 boots for 11 years and then buying 2011 alpine boots. I think you are already money ahead even if those only last a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

In the past, as an HSE Advisor on worksites one of my roles was to check over worker PPE's including checking the date of manufacture of their hardhats (there's a year and month stamp molded in). If the helmet was new or still looking good but dated over 5 years I would make the suggestion to buy a new replacement.

Vehicle tires are similar in that you want to check the date of manufacture and buy recent vs. several years old as the rubber also degrades over time.

So yeah, you're going to die.

My wife still skis a pair of Raichle Flexons with no signs of deterioration (the boots, not the wife). Depends on what materials the boots are made from I think.

I watched a guy blow out his boot on a cold day in a mogul field. The sole part was still clicked into the binding and he had just a liner and boot cuff on his foot.

He obviously didn’t vacuum seal his boots during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    I watched a guy blow out his boot on a cold day in a mogul field. The sole part was still clicked into the binding and he had just a liner and boot cuff on his foot.

He obviously didn’t vacuum seal his boots during the offseason.

Back in the day non UV stable plastics did this.