Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Billie Eilish

Anybody else remember Lorde?
    Or Grimes?

Yeah. That's what I thought.

There is a high probability that B. E. will burn bright and fade away just as quickly.

I mean even M.I.A. isn't that relevant anymore (and is Lady Gaga really relevant these days?).

The way that popular music is these days, very few artists are going for long-term longevity like OG artists like R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Radiohead, Madonna (though I'm not so sure that she's still relevant), Janet Jackson (though I'm not so sure that she's still relevant), but you get the gist.

I feel that the attention span of the music consumer these days is really short. I work with a lot of "kids" in their 20s (they are my co-workers and by proxy my peers) and I don't think any of them buy albums. They listen to everything on Spotify and tend to be more single oriented, whereas my old ass is album oriented; it's a short-attention span world we live in dedicated to quick hits and fast fixes.

That said, I remember seeing posters for her first song all over "post no bills" walls in downtown Oakland a few years ago and they were cool looking. Her videos are cool, too.

Also, y'all have to remember that we're in that phase of pop culture journalism where every media outlet is trying to discover and break the next big thing. A good chunk of artists that break on the Webz, get signed, and release a few albums have a relatively short career.

Here's to hoping she's on the track that Splat outlined, albeit minus the drug dealers and nefarious distractions...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I don't really get down (is that what they say still?) with most new music, but I really like hers. She's super talented. She even did Hot Ones which endears anyone to me more.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Or Grimes?

There is a high probability that B. E. will burn bright and fade away just as quickly.

I mean even M.I.A. isn't that relevant anymore (and is Lady Gaga really relevant these days?).

The way that popular music is these days, very few artists are going for long-term longevity like OG artists like R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Radiohead, Madonna (though I'm not so sure that she's still relevant), Janet Jackson (though I'm not so sure that she's still relevant), but you get the gist.

I feel that the attention span of the music consumer these days is really short. I work with a lot of "kids" in their 20s (they are my co-workers and by proxy my peers) and I don't think any of them buy albums. They listen to everything on Spotify and tend to be more single oriented, whereas my old ass is album oriented; it's a short-attention span world we live in dedicated to quick hits and fast fixes.

That said, I remember seeing posters for her first song all over "post no bills" walls in downtown Oakland a few years ago and they were cool looking. Her videos are cool, too.

Also, y'all have to remember that we're in that phase of pop culture journalism where every media outlet is trying to discover and break the next big thing. A good chunk of artists that break on the Webz, get signed, and release a few albums have a relatively short career.

Here's to hoping she's on the track that Splat outlined, albeit minus the drug dealers and nefarious distractions...

they are both still listened too. Now you? Who the fuck are you? An asshole that gets paid to assemble cliches about pop culture? Other than as a critic piñata of cliches why do I care what you have to say? You get it wrong regularly. And that’s to my dumb, drunk ass, not anyone who knows fuck all.

deadheads and phisheads not getting it? Sober th3 fuck up and get out of New England

liking BE when i hear it on satellite. i still go back to Purity Ring for my female singer itch

Billie Eilish

Her song on the Grammys tonight was so much more enjoyable to listen to than Steven tyler. I’ll give her that. For 17 or whatever, she’s talented and seems grounded. And doing it all with her brother, no record deal, is pretty cool.

I also live in the northeast, love Phïsh, and I’m not sober. So take from my statement what you want.

Billie Eilish

The SNL performance and the Grammys song I found on YouTube have a different vibe than what I had previously heard. Much more melancholy love songs.

Still not sure if I get all the hype. Her voice is as good as dozens of kids I would see perform at local schools. Her brother seems to be a major factor in the sound and instrumentation.

I guess it’s no surprise her folks are in show business and she got a leg up that way.

FWIW playlists I have recently listened to include bands from Nashville, South Africa, Houston, Chicago, Mali, Brooklyn, and plenty of other towns not in New England. Nice try at pigeon holing me, though.

Billie Eilish

Possibly a bad omen:

“She was the first artist to sweep the top awards since Christopher Cross in 1981”

I listened to her songs after the victory. Lana Del Rey album is better. Norman Fucking Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    Lana Del Rey

Gah, now talking about someone truly awful. I'm no Billie Eilish fan but I'd listen to her on repeat before suffering through LDR.

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    ...Lana Del Rey...
    I had one of those at Taco Del Mar last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

She walked away with 4 gramophones last night.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Billie Eilish

I thought Grammys was pretty good. Alicia Keys has more talent than any one person should.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    She walked away with 4 gramophones last night.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Name:  Ep137-Top-10-Worst-Grammy-Winners.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  218.4 KB

Tool won a Grammy last night so that's all I give a fuck about.

My wife puts on Bille Eilish from time to time and it just sounds like she sings while she's half asleep, But she was on Stern recently and I'll give credit to any young pop star that can actually play and instrument and write music on her own.

Never heard of her. Oh well.

Hadn't heard her stuff before, which apparently means I'm fucking old because one of her songs on Spotify has 1.1 billion plays. It's not really my cup of tea, but some of her music seems interesting. In any case, her music is infinitely more listenable than a bunch of the mumble rap that seems to be popular with the youths these days.

And using the Grammys as any sort of judge of talent is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Or Grimes?

I think there's a 10% chance she is relevant in 2 years and keeps the unique music style. 45% she sells out and uses her good voice and a mainstream producer to sell some real big hits for a few years with success ranging anywhere from Swift to Cyrus, Gaga or Perry levels... 45% she fades into oblivion. She really reminds me of MGMT, but younger with less drugs(but a disability that simulates drugs???) and no instrument playing skill.

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    I think there's a 10% chance she is relevant in 2 years and keeps the unique music style. 45% she sells out and uses her good voice and a mainstream producer to sell some real big hits for a few years with success ranging anywhere from Swift to Cyrus, Gaga or Perry levels... 45% she fades into oblivion. She really reminds me of MGMT, but younger with less drugs(but a disability that simulates drugs???) and no instrument playing skill.
    Name:  IMG_5829.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  19.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Her song on the Grammys tonight was so much more enjoyable to listen to than Steven tyler. I’ll give her that. For 17 or whatever, she’s talented and seems grounded. And doing it all with her brother, no record deal, is pretty cool.

I also live in the northeast, love Phïsh, and I’m not sober. So take from my statement what you want.
    Music is subjective.

My wife likes this girl and I'm just kinda whatever. Good voice and seems like a good kid.

To diss Tyler/Aerosmith (at 70yrs old!) and RunDMC playing their collaboration that changed music is just nuts man. You were either not alive or you don't know music history.

And odds of this girl being invited to the Grammys when she is 70 is nil.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    To diss Tyler/Aerosmith (at 70yrs old!) and RunDMC playing their collaboration that changed music is just nuts man. You were either not alive or you don't know music history.

And odds of this girl being invited to the Grammys when she is 70 is nil.
    Fair enough. Tyler sounded pretty rough, but yes, he is surprisingly 70. Grew up on both bands.

I have no interest in Eilish either way. Never listened to her before the Grammys, probably won’t again.

I remember being something around 10-12 and asking the old man at the local record/tape/cd shop “do you have run dmc, raising heck”?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    deadheads and phisheads not getting it? Sober th3 fuck up and get out of New England
    I don't get that. Why so many jam band deadheads in NE?

Not that co-signing from your friendly neighborhood asshole piñata of cliches means that much in the grand scheme of things, but...

THIS:
    Music is subjective.
    AND THIS:
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And using the Grammys as any sort of judge of talent is absurd.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Music is subjective.
    and on that note- aerosmith suuucks.
    but the rundmc collaboration is their best song
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Fair enough. Tyler sounded pretty rough
    Yeah sure, but he's out there running around singing at 71! He probably should be dead like ten times over by now.

Baby bear- you're in the minority on that one. Sure, it's considered classic rock and you may not be a fan, but as a band they hardly suck. Probably considered one of the best American rock bands ever.

Yeah sure, but he's out there running around singing at 71! He probably should be dead like ten times over by now.

Baby bear- you're in the minority on that one. Sure, it's considered classic rock and you may not be a fan, but as a band they hardly suck. Probably considered one of the best American rock bands ever.
    it's all subjective
    don't take it personally :P

I do, however, love the grateful dead so we have that in common
    skid luxury