Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Also: bring extra powderskirts for those who forgot theirs.

Single day can be rough, by the time you get through beacon training, safety briefing, shakedown run it's gonna be like 10:30am at least. Also not much time for guides to get comfortable with the group (cat = 12 people = massive group as far as backcountry travel goes). Just have chill expectations. One tip that can pay off if you are a decent skier and prove you are safe/listen to the guides is to get tight with the tail guide and drop last, they might show you some sweet lines that they don't want the bull headed dorks who drop first every time getting into. Definitely tip and buy the guide a beer at the bar after.

There was a 'freestyle skier' in a heli group I flew with that took no less than 5 minutes at the top of each run to adjust his 3 go pros. Nobody liked that guy

If you show up really hung over, have them make you a 1/2 ginger, 1/2 sparkling before you go, like the guys at Panorama did for me.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Do you get motion/sea sick? Both are going to be cramped, stuffy boxes, and you’re probably not going to be sitting by a window.

If you’re skiing in a group with a tail guide, wait until the end and ski with him/her once everyone is at the next rally point. Then you can ski as fast as you want, and you’ve seen what the terrain has to offer.

The group is going to ski as fast as the slowest skier. Try to help if they’re new to skiing powder.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    There was a 'freestyle skier' in a heli group I flew with that took no less than 5 minutes at the top of each run to adjust his 3 go pros. Nobody liked that guy
    Guide fail to not tell the guy to fuck off with that after first run.

Good point about motion sickness, especially in cats when the cat roads are refrozen/bumpy... never felt sick in an A-Star, they feel so smooth to me. Definitely a good idea to take gloves/helmet and jacket off the second you get in the cat if they have the heat on.

If they offer to eat lunch in the cat on the way up don’t be that guy that insists on a picnic. My best tip is that if you want the best cheapest cat skiing in the US, go to Anthony Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Guide fail to not tell the guy to fuck off with that after first run.

Good point about motion sickness, especially in cats when the cat roads are refrozen/bumpy... never felt sick in an A-Star, they feel so smooth to me. Definitely a good idea to take gloves/helmet and jacket off the second you get in the cat if they have the heat on.
    Even the most air sick prone seem to be so excited to be in the heli thay are fine.

Its a very different motion than in a plane though.

Prolonged hover in a squall/blizzard waiting for it to clear can get anyone anxious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

ask about their grooming ops and complain about a lack of corduroy to ski

If you have to take a shit, do it in the back row

all good points so far, be nice, alternate firsts, me i like to go last so i can do what i want
    i don't claim to be the greatest skier in the world but avoid cat or heli with tele skiers or snowboarders even pros will slow down a good group of skiers with their shit together ( yeah, yeah you're the best tele skier in history, i don't care)
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

You don't wana go to skeena cat ski cuz the guide and the tail are snowboarders

its not that hard to beat the cat down

first time I was there some death crust up higher tripped up everybody except the lead guide and so we had to drop lower
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-25-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    avoid cat or heli with tele skiers or snowboarders even pros will slow down a good group of skiers with their shit together (( yeah, yeah you're the best tele skier in history, i don't care)
    Clearly you've never been guided by John Shocklee.

Or Aaron Brill on his board.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Clearly you've never been guided by John Shocklee.
    Yeah... that guy will *not* slow anybody down.

Texans, OTOH.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah... that guy will *not* slow anybody down.

Texans, OTOH.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Best tele skier I've ever seen.

I'd avoid Texans on a heli or cat trip completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Offer to ride the rope up and let a guide ride in the cat on one of the laps
    You'll have to excuse my jongy question but I've never been cat skiing. The rope? As in, getting towed by a rope behind the cat? I guess that makes sense in terms of maximizing capacity but it never occurred to me.

Cat/Heli Skiing Etiquette and Tips

The Mt Bailey operation doesn’t have space for the guests + guides, so two guides get pulled up & one gets to ride in the cab

(not implying it’s standard across cat ops)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    The Mt Bailey operation doesn’t have space for the guests + guides, so two guides get pulled up & one gets to ride in the cab

(not implying it’s standard across cat ops)
    That is messed up.
    Couldn’t they at least hang on the back bumper like a garbage truck?
    . . .

Feed your guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

If you’re skiing in a group with a tail guide, wait until the end and ski with him/her once everyone is at the next rally point. Then you can ski as fast as you want, and you’ve seen what the terrain has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This.......I was on a heli trip and no one, I mean NO ONE would step up to be tail gunner and carry the pack so I carried it for 80% of the day. Its no big deal, I just skied right or left of guides tracks, after asking them if safe, still had fresh snow. Then on the last lonngggg run back he held the group and pointed down the hill and smiled at me.....it was so worth carrying the pack all day.

I would inquire abut the guide before going. I had one cat skiing experience that was entirely ruined by having to listen to the guide talk abut everything under the sun all day long. Guy was great safety wise, but I think he thought we were paying money to hang out with him. A truly irritating individual who would have been better served just keeping his mouth shut. Another time, we had a European guide who had skied on the FWT but apparently he was missing his GF and just wanted out so basically this dude was taking off on us. Bizarre.

Once I was in a group of four and we had a guide and he didn’t speak English very well. It was pretty funny all day long as he kind of messed up word meanings. “Downless” for “Bottomless” for example.
    At the end of the day I said “I don’t know if I like this guy or not”. One of the other guys in the group looked at me real serious and said:
    “I think he’s retarded.”

I guess you had to be there.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

There is a lot of fresh snow on a cat trip, so going last isn't always a bad thing. The tail guide advice is great, make friends and they will likely show you some fun stuff on a run (not all tail guides know the terrain well though, some operations have a lot of tail guides that cycle throughout the winter). Before you ask for any rad terrain make sure you are the best in the group, the guides aren't going to show you shit if you are sub-par.

There is usually enough room in the cat to store a layer and a little bit of extra gear, but like everyone else is saying, keep it organized.

Catskiing is really fun, but with a mixed group there can be standing around. In order to reduce wait times gently encourage the group to do everything the guide says to ensure the number of runs is maximized.

Finally, when your guide says to always STOP ABOVE him/her... stop above them. There is no quicker way to lose a guide's trust than to continually stop below them.
    I like huge dumps.

I usually wear less clothing on CAT trips than normal... the CAT gets really warm and you're not outside for that long for each run.

If you are holding the group back you should know that... and voluntarily sit out at least some runs.

I did a trip years ago and two overweight rig workers ate shit constantly on the first run. 1 of them didn't get out of the cat for the rest of the day... which we all appreciated.

Don't worry about first tracks... there's lots of powder to be had.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

i typically carry an extra pair of goggles on me during pow days to swap out if i start fogging or blowup and get snow on the inside. Any helpful tips on keeping goggles from fogging on the cat rides back up? Id imagine it gets a bit steamy in there with all the snow melting off folks and the heater cranked up.