Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just reminded myself of one of the best racing recoveries of all time - Girardelli in 1994 who got both hands and a hip down on snow on his way to second

At 21 seconds on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMSC7S8uEcA

82nd Hahnenkamm World Cup RacesKitzbühel, 17.01.2022 - 23.01.2022
    [monstertruck reverb] The world’s most notorious, dangerous, blood-curdling downhill racecourse for men, called the "Streif", is challenging an international roster of top athletes for an incredible weekend of ski racing each year {/monstertruck reverb]

530 AM EST tomorrow, 730 AM Sunday Peacock
    Travis Ganong, Ryan Cochran, & Bryce fkn Bennet look to become the first American to win the Hahnenkamm downhill since Daron Rahlves in 2003. The favorites include Norwegian Aleksander Aamodt Kilde, Austrians Matthias Mayer and Vincent Kriechmayr, Italian Dominik Paris and Swiss Beat Feuz....

And I wasn't aware of this thread - bump from Page 1 for this awesome vid!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

always worth a look.
    And this too is a good warm up for tomorrow - 2020 race highlights, including Bryce Bennett with Bib #1 leading off about 1 minute into the vid.

Kilde, killed.
    wow

Mikaela must be proud.

Good to see Travis G in top 10

Travis is the man!

Jack Crawford and Johan Clarey, good Lord. And great to see Ganong in the top 10.

So, the marquis event is the Hahnenkahm Downhill which took place today (Friday) in Austria.

Then they will run a second downhill (The Hahnenkahm Original) instead of the Super G.

Is this a slight variation on the Streif course?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    So, the marquis event is the Hahnenkahm Downhill which took place today (Friday) in Austria.

Then they will run a second downhill (The Hahnenkahm Original) instead of the Super G.

Is this a slight variation on the Streif course?
    No, this is the real Kitz Signature Race. Today was the make up. As for the same course, today was shortned due to wind. They started out of the Mounsenfalle.

They also put a turn, direction change after the Housberg Jump, going across the hill to try and slow them down from the over 90mph they do into the last section.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    No, this is the real Kitz Signature Race. Today was the make up. As for the same course, today was shortned due to wind. They started out of the Mounsenfalle.

They also put a turn, direction change after the Housberg Jump, going across the hill to try and slow them down from the over 90mph they do into the last section.
    Great, thanks for setting me straight.

I heard them mention the extra turn down low (Hausberg jump you mention).

I need to go back and look at the full run (Didn't realize Mausfalle was further down).

Dave Ryding wins the slalom. Not bad for someone who started racing on plastic slopes!

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Dave Ryding wins the slalom. Not bad for someone who started racing on plastic slopes!
    So cool to see Dave, at last, P1. Everybody was so happy for him and hugged him. Even Henrik was all smile.
    Loved that race, even though Clément and Alexis were, once more, such let down..
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

The second run with all the hairpins over the rollers was a blast to watch, so happy for Dave Ryding, cool to see history being made.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Not my favorite course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cockring-Seagull View Post
    Not my favorite course.
    Why the disrespect for a good man/great athlete?
    Resentful of him kicking your ass as a junior?
    Hey mods ban this troll, eh?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

I’m having a hard time finding both races.

Where (streaming) are you guys watching this year?

Edit: the one I saw was on hulu from “The Olympic Channel”

Edit 2: nevermind…friggin peacock. Found it
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 01-24-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Also:
    The one I saw had a major course reset (different start, and a weird wide tight turn after the hausberg before that formerly-awesome choppy traverse into the zielschuss) and I’m here to say I’m not a fan.
    Guys were throwing check turns to slow down for it, others were carrying speed and not making the tight set. I don’t like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Also:
    The one I saw had a major course reset (different start, and a weird wide tight turn after the hausberg before that formerly-awesome choppy traverse into the zielschuss) and I’m here to say I’m not a fan.
    Guys were throwing check turns to slow down for it, others were carrying speed and not making the tight set. I don’t like it.
    Who won the race that you were watching?

I don't think the Friday downhill had the setup you are mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Who won the race that you were watching?
    Aamodt-Kilde.
    I should’ve just googled it. I got it now. Friggin Peacock, man…All the DH’s just say “mens downhill”, so you have to look at a few to see which one it is. I’m probably just a classic mix of old and stupid, honestly.
    Anyway, watching now…back to the real start, still the messed-up speed check before the traverse. Not a fan.

Friday's set was modified for Weather
    ( lowered the Start to the Mousefalle, I believe ) ;

they widened a turn before the final traverse to try to slow the speed Because too many guys were 'blowing-up' -

I watched a couple racers and did not recognize a change of set ;
    I also did not see a 'speed check'.

I have not followed it in a long time -
    There was a report - I believe for a different course ( maybe the Lauberhorn ) that top speed are now approaching Ninety.mph ...

pretty Fast.

Good luck. skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Friday's set was modified for Weather
    ( lowered the Start to the Mousefalle, I believe ) ;

they widened a turn before the final traverse to try to slow the speed Because too many guys were 'blowing-up' -

I watched a couple racers and did not recognize a change of set ;
    I also did not see a 'speed check'.

I have not followed it in a long time -
    There was a report - I believe for a different course ( maybe the Lauberhorn ) that top speed are now approaching Ninety.mph ...

pretty Fast.

Good luck. skiJ
    For sure there is an extra turn and a speed check right at the landing of the Hausberg and a higher re-direct across the fall line- that caused most of the DNF's for those that couldn't swing inside the bottom gate. Yeah maybe a little less exciting across that perilous double fall line, but I kind of agree about the increased safety given the speeds, that zone has ended several careers.

Top speed on the Lauberhorn was set by Johan Cleary back in 2013 at 100.6 mph (161+kph). They were clocking 150-155 kph last week.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

clarification -
    My comment about 'speed check' referred to i-as' comment about 'check turns', not the re-set.

( I think it was Nyman who missed a year recovering from Concussion Syndrome when he crashed heavily on the final jump a couple years ago )

Still king of the Downhills -
    Just never got back into it when coverage got very sketchy twenty years ago...

please , enjoy the Racing. skiJ

I guess we’re all different. Obviously people want a slower safer course.
    I liked the old set better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmMtcmfaEcg

watch?v=QmMtcmfaEcg

Scott McCartney's segment is at 15:50 -

the segment on Bode at the end is insightful --

I don't see it in this segment, but I will always remember a clip in which Bode says,

"when you step into the Start of a World Cup Downhill, it is important to know You Are a Badass. "

skiJ