Backpack Recommendations for Skiing with Small Kids

I have daughters who are 4-years-old and 21-months. The 4-year-old is skiing without leashes and later this spring we will lightly dabble with the youngest getting out. Both will be skiing in some capacity all next season. Skiing with just 1 kid Iím finding that my 12l Dakine Heli pack is too small though it does allow for carrying (barely as long as they are not wide) one set of skis diagonally. I also have a ~30L older REI bag that is a better size, but it canít carry any skis. Sunday walking to the car carrying two pairs of skis and a large pizza in a box told me it was time for something else after slicing my down jacket from the skis going wonky on me.

What model and size backpacks are you wearing when skiing with your little ones? I need a better parent backpack. Basic requirements are:

∑ Must be able to carry one pair of adult skis + creatively strap a set of small kids skis as well.
    ∑ Lots of pockets including smaller ones that are quickly/easily accessible so I can quickly get to gloves, treats, goggles, misc. small pockets accessed from the top are great.
    ∑ Easy access to a water bottle without it getting pushed out when getting on the lift like it did Sunday.
    ∑ Able to get on and off lift without taking it off. I get that if I load it to the max this may not be possible.
    ∑ A larger central pocket to put extra layers in. Bonus if there are two so that snowy boots can be separate from clothing layers.
    ∑ Chest strap. Waist Strap.
    ∑ Major bonus for any small storage in the shoulder straps (eg., chapstick, small sunscreen tube, m&ms), etc.

What do you guys use?

I think you'd like the Dakine Mission Pro 25L. I'm not sure if they've altered it at all but I have the 2019 version, it was about $125 on your typical big box sites. Only thing it's missing from your list is the exterior water bottle holder, unfortunately. It has two compartments and then several mesh pockets, so I use it for the same things you're talking about; snacks, etc. within easy reach for my six year old. For ski carrying, it has a very long clipped loop that comes out of the upper left side, and then a fairly rugged clipped loop that goes across the rear bottom, along with the two horizontal loops in the middle of the rear for snowboard carrying. It's completely not meant to be used in this way, but I've successfully attached my skis diagonally like they're supposed to be, then I use the two snowboard loops to hang my kid's skis. I can usually even get our helmets attached to it in one way or another, then throw it on my back and I'm good to go for the trek back to the hotel. Alternatively, I can usually also manage to get two adult ski pairs attached to the snowboard loops if I'm creative about it, then I can haul mine and my wife's skis and just hand carry the kid skis.

Whatever you pick, I would leave it behind in the lodge. For me, Having two little ones to wrangle on and off a chair needed both hands.

Less is more.

A plastic sled to haul their stuff.

I went with the Osprey Kamber 32.