Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Feel like you need a wider car.
    Haha, yep. Makes navigating the parking lot a little more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Re: coil up front. I’m enjoying my front end not being too heavy and feel like the progression of the air fork is helpful for same reasons above. I think that insert/lower tire pressure helps with rear braking via tire doing a little better job of staying connected.

I’ve got 200mm rotor/4 piston up front and definitely appreciate that braking power when the rear is getting knocked around.

GS, that red looks fantastic! Agreed on an air fork. I'm also running my fork at higher pressure and am using an extra spacer. It basically takes the edge off and saves my ass if necessary, nothing more. That's one of the reasons I shied away from the longer travel frames.

The more I ride this thing, the more I'm sold on the 120mm slack AF hardtail in the Blister review. That or an Arcturian with enough spacers to limit travel. I still think a hardtail needs to have certain levels of ridiculosity.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yeah at my weight my fork has enough progression for me with no spacers - I have it set up where I’m like 3mm shy of bottom out on the hardest / biggest knock. Spring ramp up with one spacer was actually too much for me. It’s a Pike (A2 maybe?) with DPA spring (120/150) and Charger 1 RC damper. It’s probably about time I did seals and oil service though ...

I originally wanted a Lyrik DPA up front but I think the shortest I could find the air spring was 130/160 and that would have been too much for this ride - I don’t know if there is even a 120/150 air spring for it, and I’m sure it would be hard as hell to find if so.

Maybe at some point I’ll give up on the DPA and get a 36 with Grip2 @ 140mm ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Not as "progressive" as some, but this is in the works.

Will replace my medium Wozo frame. A little longer/slacker, but not crazily so. Spends most of its life with 2.6/2.8 rubber, but I can swap the full fat tire wheels on if we ever get enough snow again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	344185
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Nice! Report back once you have some time on it.

Will do. I've read good things, so figured to give them a shot. Obviously not as long/slack as some stuff out there now, but my local terrain and trails just are not right for a 63* HTA and super long hardtail.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

ACL repair a few weeks ago has me thinking of my coming soon recovery rides. As I posted elsewhere, the Megatower isn't really ideal for putting pure mileage on and N + 1 probably isn't ideal for my home situation.

Anyone have a medium taival or the like they are like, maybe I'm going back to full squish this year?

I'm interested.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Let’s get the hardtail stoke going again! Threw some PNW bars and grips on the Chromag and I love them! The rise on the bar makes it feel a touch like a BMX. Really liking the hardtail and now I want another one (Doctahawk perhaps)

Name:	IMG_8876.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	381211

‘22 Spec Fuse Expert. Running 27.5+ x2.8s for fun, though BB is a touch low in this config. 66* HTA, super tight 420mm chainstay makes this thing so fun for manual/wheelies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	381229

about one year on my Canfield Nimble 9. HUGE upgrade over my 2011 Honzo.

150mm Pike Ultimate
    One-Up dropper 210mm
    WTB I35 wheelset.
    SLX cranks/XT trail pedals
    34T oval front ring
    21T rear Cog
    Guide RSC 200mm f, 180mm r
    Butcher, Eliminator combo. 2.6 GRID trail front, BLCK DMND rear.

Feels both more substantial and yet more nimble than my Honzo. My Honzo was a size M(420mm reach) this is size M(450mm reach). its feel super plush but I think its mostly the 35mm internal rim with 2.6 inch tires I can run sub 20psi with out any rim dings or roll overs. I think 2.6 inch wide tires get a bad rap because of people running them on rims that are WAY too narrow. The Pike Ultimate is great for my application but can flex(twisting) on sidehills with compression, its not much but its noticeable. I rode someone's doctahawk with a Lyrik and the frame and fork felt more solid but not always in a good way IE it was harsh as well. The Nimble 9 seems to really work some magic with vertical flex in the seat/chain stays.

my two biggest gripes is no ISCG tabs, would love to run taco bash on it, since I love playing on rocks, and also I have to limit my Dropper travel to 200mm but could run 210mm if the port for the cable was lower...and as far as I can tell there is not any reason why it could not be lower....and its not in stock I would build another one and run gears on it.

With some advice from Bushwacka & others my Honzo build is getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    I think 2.6 inch wide tires get a bad rap because of people running them on rims that are WAY too narrow.
    I’m going to have to do some back to back w 29x2.6 v 27+x2.8 since I have both. My stock 29 wheels are 30mm internal I think, which might be a touch too narrow, but not terrible. I remember running a stans crest 29 w the old WTB 2.5 Wierwolf and while I loved that tire (especially when rigid) definitely would roll some bc of the rim width I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    I’m going to have to do some back to back w 29x2.6 v 27+x2.8 since I have both. My stock 29 wheels are 30mm internal I think, which might be a touch too narrow, but not terrible. I remember running a stans crest 29 w the old WTB 2.5 Wierwolf and while I loved that tire (especially when rigid) definitely would roll some bc of the rim width I suppose

I have already done 30mm internal . Too narrow at least for 2.6 spec ed. The issue the sideknob are basically impossible to find and are less supportive. You can solve issue two with more air, but issue one is un solvable. I put 2.3 back on the 30mm internal rims and it feels a ton better. Maxxis WT might react differently.

I’m looking at grabbing some 2.6 for the stylus (would like 2.8 for shoulder seasons but doubt they would fit). Have 2.5 on now and I’d say there is decent clearance front and rear.

Taking it out on another ride tomorrow… I’m shelling my FS at the moment and I don’t actually miss it.

Name:	IMG_5003.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	381258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4997.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	381259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1627869804.734847.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	381260

Have loved my Taival. Almost a year in. Currently my only mtn bike so I’ve used it for everything. Has been to local ATL trails, DuPont, Bentonville, Trestle Bike Park, and some trails around Boulder. Did everything except the super rough/mega chunk really well (but made it through that stuff alive). Changed tires several times for different occasions. Stock 2.3 exo minions have performed well where I live w/ an air liner in the rear. 2.5 MG Exo DHF front w/ 2.4 MG DD DHR II rear (no inserts) was money at trestle. A 2.35 Barzo in the rear has been fun for going fast on single track where the lower weight is appreciated. G2 ultimate brakes (220 front, 200 rear) and pike ultimate set at 140 have been great. Gx drivetrain has performed well enough. Derailleur feels like it needs frequent tweaking, especially when I was using traditional lube. GX chain was done after 500 miles. New XO1 chain has been solid and I went queso on the new chain and it’s been great. Bikeyoke revive has been flawless. Ergon grips and saddle nice as well. Turbine stem and nukeproof carbon bar add bling more than anything but I also like the wolf tooth rad system to get more stuff on the bike and less on me.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post

Name:	IMG_5003.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	381258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4997.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	381259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1627869804.734847.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	381260

Have loved my Taival. Almost a year in. Currently my only mtn bike so I’ve used it for everything. Has been to local ATL trails, DuPont, Bentonville, Trestle Bike Park, and some trails around Boulder. Did everything except the super rough/mega chunk really well (but made it through that stuff alive). Changed tires several times for different occasions. Stock 2.3 exo minions have performed well where I live w/ an air liner in the rear. 2.5 MG Exo DHF front w/ 2.4 MG DD DHR II rear (no inserts) was money at trestle. A 2.35 Barzo in the rear has been fun for going fast on single track where the lower weight is appreciated. DT Swiss Ex1501 wheels w/54t upgrade have been money. G2 ultimate brakes (220 front, 200 rear) and pike ultimate set at 140 have been great. Gx drivetrain has performed well enough. Derailleur feels like it needs frequent tweaking, especially when I was using traditional lube. GX chain was done after 500 miles. New XO1 chain has been solid and I went queso on the new chain and it’s been great. Bikeyoke revive has been flawless. Ergon grips and saddle nice as well. Turbine stem and nukeproof carbon bar add bling more than anything but I also like the wolf tooth rad system to get more stuff on the bike and less on me.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post

‘22 Spec Fuse Expert. Running 27.5+ x2.8s for fun, though BB is a touch low in this config. 66* HTA, super tight 420mm chainstay makes this thing so fun for manual/wheelies

that looks like a blast

Highly recommend! I was looking at some of the more exotic/boutique progressive HTs and this is modern w/o being too ridiculous to pedal through east coast tight and techy trails. Also was able to hop onto an already existing shop pre-order so was about 6 weeks to get it.

I'm thinking a progressive hardtail may be in the cards this fall if I can find one used. I largely have my eyes and heart set on a Kona Honzo ESD. I like the geometry as a tester for a what I'd like in a long travel full suspension in the future and I'm interested in the slider dropouts for single speed use (yes I know this is a dumb bike to single speed on but I'm curious). The only other bike that's really caught my eye is the Chromag Rootdown but it's missing the sliders.

Anything else that should be on my radar? Sub 65 degree head tube angle and steel frame are mandatory. Sliding dropouts are a plus as well.

If anyone knows of a used large or xl honzo esd (I'm 6'2" and could probably make either size work) a line on that would be appreciated as well. There were a few on pinkbike a few weeks ago that have vanished.

^^ Ragley makes a couple that also may be of interest, some very slack like the ESD Honzo, some more like the regular Honzo. I don't think any have slider dropouts though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Worth mentioning, most if not all the Brit companies measure geo sagged. Not a bad thing, but it changes things a bit if you’re comparing to static.

Moxie pipe dream about that geo and sliding dropouts. Love my Taival but not sliding dropouts. Looked at RSD Middlechild but reviews seemed pretty constituent that it’s not the most supple. I think the honzo esd is on the extreme side of progressive/potentially too much if possible. Id also keep my eyes open for a Stanton in the used market.

Awesome! This gives me more to research. Thanks for the input, there are a lot of brands in this world that I’m not aware of.

I’m fully aware that the Honzo is a bike that makes no sense on paper. I think it might be fun to own for a season just as a change of pace from my carbon XC bike. I’ve wanted to pickup a new full suspension enduro bike but I’m going to probably wait until next year to do that. I can much more easily afford a used aggressive hardtail this fall that will hopefully be fun and let me figure of what type of geo I want in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I'm thinking a progressive hardtail may be in the cards this fall if I can find one used. I largely have my eyes and heart set on a Kona Honzo ESD. I like the geometry as a tester for a what I'd like in a long travel full suspension in the future and I'm interested in the slider dropouts for single speed use (yes I know this is a dumb bike to single speed on but I'm curious). The only other bike that's really caught my eye is the Chromag Rootdown but it's missing the sliders.

Anything else that should be on my radar? Sub 65 degree head tube angle and steel frame are mandatory. Sliding dropouts are a plus as well.

If anyone knows of a used large or xl honzo esd (I'm 6'2" and could probably make either size work) a line on that would be appreciated as well. There were a few on pinkbike a few weeks ago that have vanished.
    The Nimble 9 with a 160 fork is 65 on the dot. Its extremely supple, far more supple than the current Honzo offering either ESD or the normal ST or AL. I think the Honzo ESD would be kind of meh as SS. I have rode the stock build and honestly I wanted to LOVE it, but nope, same with the doctahawk just felt heavy and stiff. My N9 feel supple, quick and whippy and is around 27lb SS with no fancy part s on it and proper sliders.