Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    I’ll look at Canfield as well. For some reason I’ve never been as excited as others are about them (going back to like 2012) but I’ll give it a chance. Good to have other options for sure.

The moxie looks great and I found a used one. I’m thinking the price on this is a bit high and I’m not thrilled with the Ibis wheels. Any thoughts on pricing that would be reasonable to offer here?
    https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3120617/

Man, that’s a sexy bike. In this market, that’s probably not far off of fair. What is it just to get that frame on the us now? I haven’t looked in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think the frame is about $900 including shipping. Some loose math would say he spent a good chunk more than that on the build unless it was cobbled together from old parts. Really really cool bike.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    Man, that’s a sexy bike. In this market, that’s probably not far off of fair. What is it just to get that frame on the us now? I haven’t looked in a few years.

Took the Mmmbop up Snowbird yesterday, fun was had. Aluminum frames may not be fashionable, but this thing is so light I don't care. Such a hoot and it just flies on the jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Took the Mmmbop up Snowbird yesterday, fun was had. Aluminum frames may not be fashionable, but this thing is so light I don't care. Such a hoot and it just flies on the jumps.

Purple is sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Purple is sweet
    Earlier this summer I rode it past two 12-ish y.o. kids who both audibly remarked that it was a "sick" bike. A couple of tweens thinking some random old guy's bike is rad still makes me irrationally happy.

Hear ya, earned some street cred riding a wheelie past some neighborhood teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

some ride well. The Fuse is the best I have tried but Id love to try the ragley.

Well I found a great looking moxie that’s just not in my size. Posting here in case anyone else is looking.

Solid build for $2000 (makes the other build at $3750 a little hard to swallow).
    https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3134107/

If this fit I’d be all over it.

On waitlist for a steel RSD Middle Child for my wife. Plan on running 27.5 wheels with 2.8 tires. Maybe Cush Core inserts if needed. 140 travel fork. Looking forward to taking it out for laps myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Well I found a great looking moxie that’s just not in my size. Posting here in case anyone else is looking.

Solid build for $2000 (makes the other build at $3750 a little hard to swallow).
    https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3134107/

If this fit I’d be all over it.
    Seems like a pretty solid deal. Someone will get a decent bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Anything else that should be on my radar? Sub 65 degree head tube angle and steel frame are mandatory. Sliding dropouts are a plus as well.
    I’m in love with my Guerilla Gravity Pedalhead. I think they aren’t making them due to material shortages but if you see a rare used one pop up don’t be afraid, with the square tubes the vertical compliance is really nice. I haven’t tried many others, just parking lot ride on an older geo N9 and older Chromag but I think GG had the best compliance of the 3.

At 150mm it is right at 65 degree HTA. Running 29 x 2.6 front and back and 200mm brakes front and back.

Hopefully you get this sorted out, it’s really nice having a steel hardtail and a mid to long travel enduro rig!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ok - looking for the hardtail weirdo thread to talk me out of something before 4pm PDT today:
    A mechanical my main / only trail bike this weekend and a brief panic about parts availability led me to realize I need a second bike for neighborhood trail riding.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOHD...-mountain-bike

520 reach / 650 stack / 62* HTA / 77* STA

$2k shipped to my door.

Background

Location: NorCal, neighborhood rides involve stitching together 500-1000' pavement or fire road climbs and steep grom-built or game trails, virtually completely smooth except for small jumps, some steep eroded chutes, and these days braking bumps. No rolling xc terrain available from my garage.
    Current quiver: 2018 xl sentinel, cascade link and 170mm lyrik airshaft, 26" rigid steel banshee scratch dirt jumper. I also have a 26" on-one summer season 456 with a fox 36 on the east coast for family visits.
    Me: 6'5" x 240#, season 29 on the bike
    Sizing / Geo needs: Reach > 500mm / Stack > 625mm / HTA <65* / STA>75* / 29" wheels
    Availability needs: sometime soon
    Willingness to pay: Less than the $2500 I spent on my sentinel new way back when (inflation amirite?!?!?)
    Material preference: Steel
    Bike Philosophy: I have never met a geometry progression I didn't like (or at least try - remember the 24" x 3" rear wheels on DH bikes?), drivetrain and wheels are consumables and I don't believe in going above XT / GX except for hubs, chasing non-rotating weight reduction on a bike is a red herring for going faster.

I haven't found anything that would fit me that is available anytime soon, for anywhere near the price...
    - Jamis dragon 29?
    - Honzo ESD / Chromags / Cotics / Stantons / Middlechilds (children?) seem to be unobtanium

Look like it would be between a Grande El Roy and one of the Ragleys?
    Last edited by mildbill.; 08-31-2021 at 12:03 PM. Reason: organizing based on comments below

^^^ that On One seems like a decent deal. It's certainly not light, and the components are mediocre-ish, but I think that's probably par for the course at that price point these days. It's also pretty damn slack, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your preferences. But given the impossibility of finding bikes these days, it's better than nothing.

Worst case scenario: you're not that into it. You could probably sell it for a modest loss.

Bill! That thing looks pretty sweet. You should get it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Thanks for the replies - I added a couple of comments in a "philosophy" section to address toast's valid critiques about parts spec and weight - which is to say that I tend to prioritize those two things pretty low...

bags - hope all is good with you!

that is one big ass bike, should be a bruiser. Spec has sub-par tires and brakes and a pike is going to be a bit wimpy of a fork at 150mm and 62*. Given today's availability buy it put on better tires and replace other parts as they break.
    I also have an XL sentinel and a hardtail but mine is a more xcish nukeproof scout with 480 reach and a 65ha that make a nice change from the big bike.

What I learned having a slackish hardtail are: the biggest brakes you can get (due to less traction on the rear wheel), and the plushest fork you can get make so much of a difference. I totally changed my fork tuning philosophy for the hardtail (very progressive and soft off the top vs. more linear on my other bike). Also I really really like 35mm wide wheels with 29 x 2.6 tires for the HT around here, just feels like it strikes a good balance of traction, takes off some bite of trail chatter, still supportive when cornering, and not too much slow steering sensation that I hear about with wider rims and tires.

That said don't let perfect be the enemy of the good - but any chance they can do a custom build with a Lyrik ... and maybe wider rims to save you hassle down the line?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Additional notes - I've got some hayes 4 pots that have served me well and could throw on (although I believe these are the "e" model and have a code caliper and guide lever?)

Fork - if anything I'd put a zeb on the sentinel and move the lyirk from that to the hardtail with a 150mm air shaft.

Tires - i've got a rotation right now depending on ride location / intent so would likely take whatever this bike comes with as the "wear these out around the neighborhood" set unless they are really shit.

Rim width @ schralp - rims are wear items.

The nukeproof looks cool, that's my biggest question - do I get something a bit more middle of the road? Main concern is finding one that is cheap, available, steel, and that won't feel like a circus bike.

Looking at this genre of bike for my teen. We cannot test ride one first, nothing available. He's coming from Trek Roscoe.
    He does some racing but mostly just riding smooth-ish singletrack. I have been looking for something like a plain hardtail 29er. Would something like a commencal Meta HT or Kona Honzo be too raked out and slack for XC riding? I'm trying to figure out if these are hardtail DH bikes, or more like a overforked XC bike?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Sounds like you’ve got the parts to make it work, and also the dealer has the frame in stock. Might as well go for it. Then you won’t be swapping tires as needed for neighborhood vs what is left of South Tahoe after Caldor has its way.

Those brakes on the On One are listed as Guide G2 (not RE) which are 4 pot right? I was thinking more rotor size which is unlisted, than lever action. But sounds like you can make it work.

And worst case keep the rims for a while, since they are the same size as your sentinel you can rotate tires around seasonally based on wear and specific need. But I’ll keep selling you on 35mm and 2.6” rims when you finally bang one up.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ha - yes, and I will continue politely listening to your rim width comments.

I think in general, planet X doesn't do a good job of matching their ad copy to their other marketing materials - so the copy says guide RE / table says Guide R2, copy says short offset pike / table stays silent on offset, picture shows panaracers / table shows nobby nics, etc...I suppose that potential grab-bag is a mark in the "con" section.

Let's hear more "don't do it" opinions!
    Last edited by mildbill.; 08-31-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post

Let's hear more "don't do it" opinions!
    Fuck that. Do it!

The part spec is fine for the price. I agree with most of the discussion above re: brakes and fork. Parts can be upgraded, but you can't upgrade a bike that you don't own.

More on the “do it”
    I’ve never tried 62 head angle but sagged you are gonna be closer to your sentinel anyway.

And then also, I’ve come to appreciate wheel flop as it comes to countersteer turn initiation: turn opposite way, let the bike fall over into the corner, snap the bars straight and rail them channel tires - let that hard tail support the rear tire and jump through your cranks while the rear tire is pushing through the corner finish. FUN!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    you can't upgrade a bike that you don't own.
    The wayne gretzky of bike shopping right here folks.