Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    It is a rootdown actually

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    It is a rootdown actually
    Wicked.... such a cool looking bike.

looking to replace my 2009 Felt Niner pro, XL....a lightweight x-country 29er - was looking for a little more head-slack, tires in the 2.5" range, and lightweight. saw this....anyone with experience on this Ibis DV NX? 120 fork, 2.6" tires, 68.5* head tube.
    Name:  bi001355-bone-white.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  219.5 KB

Hard to go wrong with an Ibis, but I wouldn't put it in the category of progressive geometry. Probably a nice middle ground between your old bike and some of the other bikes in this thread.

I’ve had my eye on one of those DV frames. Good deal for a carbon frame and it would build up nicely as a burley XC bike.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That's my plan...not full progressive - if my tires are off the ground, it's usually not planned.

"Progressive" hardtails - yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    looking to replace my 2009 Felt Niner pro, XL....a lightweight x-country 29er - was looking for a little more head-slack, tires in the 2.5" range, and lightweight. saw this....anyone with experience on this Ibis DV NX? 120 fork, 2.6" tires, 68.5* head tube.
    I got a DV9 this spring. Only a few mellow rides on it so far since our trails are still melting out but I'm digging it.
    I was looking at the same criteria as you- lightweight 29'er with a more slack head tube and this fit the bill, which was nice bc I'm also an Ibis superfan.(also have an HD which is my 4th or 5th ibis mountain bike)
    I see myself riding the hell out of this this summer. added a bike yoke dropper post to it too
    Last edited by babybear; 05-10-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    skid luxury

Name:  A5A8C249-D054-4526-80CC-3C5052A3E427.jpeg
Views: 1100
Size:  190.2 KB

Just got done building this one...excited to go rattle my teeth out.

2019 Kona Honzo ST
    SLX 12 speed drivetrain and brakes
    Marzocchi Z2 140mm fork
    PNW Rainier dropper
    Pedals, stem, bar Raceface Chester

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Built one up, road it one ride, then sold it. Its geo works best with a 100mm fork, even then the reach is stupid short and front is too tall with the external bearing cup. I had a medium with a 120mm fork, the reach was shorter than most smalls. Just my opinion as I am sure its a good bike for the right person but it doesn't belong in the thread.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Built one up, road it one ride, then sold it.
    Funny, I did the same thing. It looked awesome when I built it up, but it just felt weird when I got on the bike.

I would go honzo if you want a moderately progressive hardtail. It is a touch slacker than a dv9 but longer reach. I have a nuke proof scout 29 and wouldn’t mind if the head angle was a touch steeper on easy xc stuff. It is a blast on fast flow trails or anytime I point it downhill but you need to make sure to drive the front end on the flats.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    These hardtails with 160mm+ forks just look wrong to me. If I had the means for another bike I’d have a 130mm 29 hardtail with modern geo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's my goal.

Not super progressive but hoping this monkey strikes a balance between being a trail bike and a bikepacking rig.

It’s takeoff fork buying season so looking for a 130 or 140.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59113434567__1D660DC6-E2EA-4CE7-9B86-54B6602B2D3A.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	846.5 KB 
ID:	328236

Anyone ever ridden/owned/layed hands on a walterworks out of Utah? Saw an interesting article on NSMB about one of his frames. Fully custom, but price isn’t THAT crazy. Seems like a really good dude with no bs and a fun attitude.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by saukit View Post
    Name:  A5A8C249-D054-4526-80CC-3C5052A3E427.jpeg
Views: 1100
Size:  190.2 KB

Just got done building this one...excited to go rattle my teeth out.

2019 Kona Honzo ST
    SLX 12 speed drivetrain and brakes
    Marzocchi Z2 140mm fork
    PNW Rainier dropper
    Pedals, stem, bar Raceface Chester
    Interested in your opinion on the SLX 1x12. After 8 years on SRAM I might go Shimano on my next build, the price on the SLX is really attractive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Interested in your opinion on the SLX 1x12. After 8 years on SRAM I might go Shimano on my next build, the price on the SLX is really attractive...

I picked up an XT 12 speed (shifter, cassette, derailleur and chain) for less than a GX Eagle for my Hightower. Its smoother, lighter and more reliable than the SRAM 11 speed I was used to riding. I wouldn't hesitate to use any Shimano 12 speed in the future.

From Singletracks - https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-rev...e-north-shore/

Conservative geo by the standards of the hardtails in this thread but I've really enjoyed riding this the past 2 years and plan to keep riding it for longer.

I just realized I called it slack at 66 deg HTA. It's probably a little steeper than that since I ride it with a 140mm travel fork

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	profilepic1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	328263

"Progressive" hardtails - yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Anyone ever ridden/owned/layed hands on a walterworks out of Utah? Saw an interesting article on NSMB about one of his frames. Fully custom, but price isn’t THAT crazy. Seems like a really good dude with no bs and a fun attitude.
    My FS “XC” bike was built by Walt. He’s a good guy and prices are pretty reasonable for full custom, especially when you factor in shop cost for parts. Happy to answer any questions.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    My FS “XC” bike was built by Walt. He’s a good guy and prices are pretty reasonable for full custom, especially when you factor in shop cost for parts. Happy to answer any questions.
    Nice! How’s it ride? When was it built up? Does he do any titanium? Either way, seems like a great operation
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to take it out yet. Still on lockdown and since trails are the only things open they're mobbed. Hoping to get out soon, will report back on how I like it. My other bike is GX Eagle so I'm also really interested how the SLX compares.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I would go honzo if you want a moderately progressive hardtail. It is a touch slacker than a dv9 but longer reach. I have a nuke proof scout 29 and wouldn’t mind if the head angle was a touch steeper on easy xc stuff. It is a blast on fast flow trails or anytime I point it downhill but you need to make sure to drive the front end on the flats.
    They updated the geo of the Scout 290 for 2020. Which version do you have? Even the 2020 version is a bit on the short in Reach in the XL but it’s hard to say since they forgot to list Stack in the nukeproof geo table.

I’ve got something like 700 miles of mtn single track on the Blue Pig and the versatility continues to impress me. A 35 mm stem / 800 mm bar / 63.8 HA hardtail that feels super well balanced on steep climbs, steep descents, and long flat trail? I have more traditional XC hardtails hanging in the garage (lynskey 29er, OnOne 29er) and wouldn’t take them on any pure XC ride now if you paid me.

Walt makes great bikes. I don’t think he’s ever done Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    They updated the geo of the Scout 290 for 2020. Which version do you have? Even the 2020 version is a bit on the short in Reach in the XL but it’s hard to say since they forgot to list Stack in the nukeproof geo table.

I’ve got something like 700 miles of mtn single track on the Blue Pig and the versatility continues to impress me. A 35 mm stem / 800 mm bar / 63.8 HA hardtail that feels super well balanced on steep climbs, steep descents, and long flat trail? I have more traditional XC hardtails hanging in the garage (lynskey 29er, OnOne 29er) and wouldn’t take them on any pure XC ride now if you paid me.
    I have the last version, forget all the measurements but its 480 reach and ~65ha. Since I moved to Boston and ride lots of really flat slow rocky trails it doesn't feel like the right bike all the time. It works with a longer stem and saddle back on the rails for a more traditional position and I am hoping the wider front wheel I have on order will help with front end grip. It was great on Seattle area XC (St Eds, RR, GR etc) with more up and down. My other bike is a Sentinel so I am all in on the long slack trend.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Nice! How’s it ride? When was it built up? Does he do any titanium? Either way, seems like a great operation
    Sent you a PM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

You may have already seen it, but there's some good info about Walt and a bike he built just posted at https://nsmb.com/articles/personal-r...-waltworks-v2/
    I believe some of his family still lives here in Los Alamos, but I've never met him; just brief correspondence. Seems like an intelligent, thoughtful and capable builder.
    - Joe