Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Just had a guy drop into my buddies shop with a decked out Chromag Stylus to put a brand new 180 Fox 38 on. Full I9 carbon wheelset, match-y machined components, SRAM AXS fancy purple drivetrain, cushcore (with his tire pressure set to the mid 40s??), ect...

One of the most frustratingly beautiful builds I've ever seen. I have no idea what he even rides on it. Maybe he just hangs it on a wall? The bike looked like a piece of art.

I thought I had pictures, but it must have been my buddy who took them. I'll try and find some, considering this post is basically worthless without them.

EDIT: And for the record I love hardtails and try not to judge people on how they spend their money... but god damn. You could buy two brand new top of the line hardtails for the price of the fork and wheelset that would be just as capable as this one.

The geo on this looks progressive.

https://www.mulletcycles.com/product/the-honeymaker/

What area do you live ASF? Sounds like a helluva build.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post

LOL.

But srsly that elevated chainstay doesn’t make sense. Part of the whole argument for a mullet bike is that 27.5 rear wheel means you don’t have to resort to an elevated chainstay to keep things short back there. And when I lay down my god like power to the rear wheel, that elevated design will just flex around and make weird drivetrain popping noises.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post

Designed around a 38T chainring? My quads are not worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    What area do you live ASF? Sounds like a helluva build.
    Western Slope of Colorado. There are some real deal trails around here, but it sounds like the guy was bringing the bike back to Florida with him. Such a puzzling build.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    LOL.

But srsly that elevated chainstay doesn’t make sense. Part of the whole argument for a mullet bike is that 27.5 rear wheel means you don’t have to resort to an elevated chainstay to keep things short back there. And when I lay down my god like power to the rear wheel, that elevated design will just flex around and make weird drivetrain popping noises.
    They probably need the elevated stay to fit the 38t ring.

I've never understood companies trying to keep geometry secret. Even if you've hit upon the most amazing, perfect magical combo, and you probably haven't, all of this stuff is super easy to measure. You're not keeping it a secret from anyone who cares enough to buy one, or even just borrow one briefly. And there's zero chance of me ever buying a bike without knowing the geo. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

"Progressive" hardtails - yay or nay?

Agreed, withholding geo numbers is BS. Not to mention the fact that they can just make some shit up like some companies do.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Almost finished my RSD Middle Child. Might need to drop the travel from 160 to 150 or even 140mm.
    Had some used GX 11 speed drivetrain parts that I'm thinking of upgrading to XT 12 speed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Very pretty. I vote for the 12s Shimano. It shifts so well under load that I fear the kids will never learn how to lighten their pedaling for a half beat when they shift. I have XT and it's def better than the GX Eagle I had before. I bet the Deore is just as good but heavier.

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

So, looking to replace this...2009 Felt Niner Pro, xl....with another 29er. Was leaning Ibis dv9 but looking at Chromag Rootdown. Need nimble for tight, rooty, rockgarden trails, a great climber...better descender than what I have here in Pa. Also checked out a Stache and Specialized Fuse but pretty positive that I want tires no more than 2.5s. Niner Sir 9 or Air 9 also being looked at. Anyway, looking for chromag or niner feedback/experience. Thanks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200517_090232.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	328797

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    So, looking to replace this...2009 Felt Niner Pro, xl....with another 29er. Was leaning Ibis dv9 but looking at Chromag Rootdown. Need nimble for tight, rooty, rockgarden trails, a great climber...better descender than what I have here in Pa. Also checked out a Stache and Specialized Fuse but pretty positive that I want tires no more than 2.5s. Niner Sir 9 or Air 9 also being looked at. Anyway, looking for chromag or niner feedback/experience. Thanks Click image for larger version. 

Was thinking similar....... rode a Chromag Stylus over the weekend; it’s like a Lay Z Boy recliner. Very grateful to get a opportunity to ride, its way too slack for Vermont trails. The owner had it set up single speed for lift serve. Trying to make sharp turns resulted in the front wheel washing out. Could be a great flow n berm rig- if you have that available.

checking out chromag surface too - maybe not as drastic a change.

I am looking for a hardtail like Honzo, but lighter. I want a bike built like the Specialized Chisel or Scott Scale (light and efficient, and built for going far fast), but with more relaxed geometry. The Honzo CR race of a few years back may be just what I'm looking for, but they're not available today, plus they were pretty pricey. Something in the 26+/- lbs, <$2000 is what I'm after. EDIT: Gotta be a 29er.

Does this bike exist?

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Was thinking similar....... rode a Chromag Stylus over the weekend; it’s like a Lay Z Boy recliner. Very grateful to get a opportunity to ride, its way too slack for Vermont trails. The owner had it set up single speed for lift serve. Trying to make sharp turns resulted in the front wheel washing out. Could be a great flow n berm rig- if you have that available.
    What stem length? Bar width? Did you adjust stem spacers to get bar position low enough to weight front wheel?

Given my previous experience with NE slow tech trails, absolutely hands down I’d take my blue pig hardtail if I made a road trip out there. My 69 HA hardtails suck in comparison. The longer front-center and low BB of the blue pig lets me ride in the middle of the bike, with plenty of weight on the front wheel. No wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by dangur View Post
    I am looking for a hardtail like Honzo, but lighter. I want a bike built like the Specialized Chisel or Scott Scale (light and efficient, and built for going far fast), but with more relaxed geometry. The Honzo CR race of a few years back may be just what I'm looking for, but they're not available today, plus they were pretty pricey. Something in the 26+/- lbs, <$2000 is what I'm after. EDIT: Gotta be a 29er.

Does this bike exist?
    Sounds like and Ibis DV9 or Santa Cruz Chameleon maybe what you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Sounds like and Ibis DV9 or Santa Cruz Chameleon maybe what you're after.
    Chameleon is a good suggestion... Their base model has some solid geometry, and the price is good. The weight is a tad heavier than what I'm looking for, but it's probably workable.

Working on a basic no-frills custom steel option to replace my Wozo. It's mostly running a mid-fat wheelset with2.6 rear/2.8 front on 34mm inner rims. -2* Works headset and Bluto 120mm. With the ability to be a fatbike with a wheel swap. Needed to thin out my tiny garage, so did this and got rid of the other hardtail. It's a very fun bike. With the way my local riding is, a ton of travel up front isn't what I'm after, but the long/low/slack geometry is still a preference.

New frame is a bit longer to match my other bikes, 75*sta, 65*hta based around the 120mm fork and regular headset. Just need this Covid bullshit to slow up a bit...

Name:  IMG_9292.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  206.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8667.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	329016
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post

I've been on a couple of Rootdowns for at least the last 5 years. Started with a maroon, non-boosted OG frame that I picked up direcly from Chromag on a close out. Out of all the hardtails I've ever ridden, it was probably my favorite. I got rear ended a few years ago and picked up a new blue Rootdown BA. Funny story, the same salesperson who placed my first order, placed my second, it must be a good company if folks are sticking around that long. It's currently setup as my "other" trail bike and I probably get it out a few times a week.
    Currently
    DHF 2.5
    Minion SS 2.3
    Velocity Blunt 35 rims
    Hope Pro 4 hubs
    Pike RCT Dual Air @160
    XT 1x11 Drivetrain
    Raceface Turbine Crankset
    KS Lev Integra Dropper
    Atlas Bars
    Guide RS Brakes

Needless to say, I didn't use many light parts. It's a pig. I think it's right around #30. That being said, it's a blast. There's just something about a good steel frame, with the right geometry and a big fork that just so confidence inspiring. It currently has about 3,600 miles on it and I'm still not bored. I'd do it again.

You guys are dicks.

Stanton so tempting, but STA seems slack the more bikes I see. The Pole Taival seems to check the most boxes. Anybody got 29" wheels and fork they're looking to sell, dirt cheap?

Remember the actual STA only increases with hardtails. I’m waiting on a Pole Taival preorder placed before COVID. Don’t know if I’ll ever see it but man I’d love to have that thing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

FINALLY got my fork back from my LBS after 6 weeks so can now put this thing together.... need to cut the steerer ( don’t think I can put enough spacers on it)

just sitting on it and damn it feels long and slack! It’s a fairly big change over my older Bronson. Can’t wait to finish it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6608EB10-2EBD-4050-B9FE-F23C80B85C6C.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	896.7 KB 
ID:	329465  

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    Remember the actual STA only increases with hardtails. I’m waiting on a Pole Taival preorder placed before COVID. Don’t know if I’ll ever see it but man I’d love to have that thing right now.
    I didn’t realize there was a wait. Sucks they don’t mention that. You still waiting too, toast?

I ordered my Nimble Nine from Canfield on their black friday sale. Wasn't really abundantly clear at the time that it was a preorder. No big deal though, when I initially inquired they said early April, then early May, still no bike or shipping notice. I'm happy to support a local-ish company, and they're a good one. I imagine they've run into supply chain and other issues related to the COVID but communication has been a bit disappointing, as is not having the bike.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air