Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    i heart my hardtail, pumptrack workout is way more funnerer than running or the gym

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    i heart my hardtail, pumptrack workout is way more funnerer than running or the gym
    Taking my 4 year old to the pump track was awesome last summer. He has fun and gets tired as fuck and I rip around on my Chromag. Might even build a few little rollers in my yard this summer to keep him and me occupied.

Just bought a used '19 Commencal Meta HT off Pinkbike... after a few upgrades, this thing is going to be fun as shit.

I'll post pictures once it's built up.

I have a new babybear mobile on its way to me- Ibis DV9 for which I am very excited about. the white color, naturally
    Lots of more xc-ish trails around my office and from my house that I have sort of ignored the past couple yrs. but planning to ride the hell out of them this summer
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    It's a M/L and I'm 5'8", so it's on the big end of the spectrum for me. I run the fork firmer than I would on my full suspension to keep it higher in its travel.

It's more that the bike is designed around a 160 fork. At 150, the reach gets even longer and the STA becomes really steep. 160 seems to pull things back a bit, which is good. I had been a bit resistant to running that much travel on a hardtail, but I think it will benefit how the bike rides both uphill and downhill by making the geometry a bit more comfortable.
    Confirmed, the 160 fork plus an extra spacer under the stem makes the bike feel awesome.

I have come to conclude that the longer reach on new bikes results in the need for higher bars. I have also chopped 20 mm off my bars (now 760) compared to what I was previously running.

^ I ended up getting Diety screw on endcaps and moved my grips and controls inboard from 800 to 770 on my long reach hardtail.

When I have taller friends come in from out of town I swap the grips (with some that are capped) and move the everything back out, then ride my Bronson. It’s been working out pretty well and is faster than swapping bars, maybe not as fast as swapping a 40mm stem for like a 70 though.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Almost done making tweaks to this one... now if it would stop fucking snowing, I'd like to see how it rides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CommencalHT-1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	318362

Nice whip. Skinwall tires, so hot right now. Not as durable right? What’s the positive for your riding?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Almost done making tweaks to this one... now if it would stop fucking snowing, I'd like to see how it rides.

bite thy tongue. now.. if it'd stop snowing and go to 72 in Moab in 2 weeks, just before we get there for the Colorado invasion of spring breakers, that'd be great.

Those tires look sick on that bike and the geo looks great.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Nice whip. Skinwall tires, so hot right now. Not as durable right? What’s the positive for your riding?
    They look better, which makes me go faster.

Aren’t you obligated to leave the FiveTens at home and wear Chuck Taylors with gumwall tires?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Are there any bikes in this category designed around non-plus 27.5 wheels? I have most a spare build kit lying around (27.5 fork, 27.5 wheels, brakes, and cockpit bits). I'm also not supposed to ride for a year so a project bike would be a nice distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Are there any bikes in this category designed around non-plus 27.5 wheels? I have most a spare build kit lying around (27.5 fork, 27.5 wheels, brakes, and cockpit bits). I'm also not supposed to ride for a year so a project bike would be a nice distraction.
    Something like this:
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/Stor...SC=ALL&P=11863
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Chromag Stylus

Many choices esp from the UK. For example the Ragley blue pig frame I posted in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

That's a pretty whip.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Many choices esp from the UK. For example the Ragley blue pig frame I posted in this thread.
    Shopped around and decided I'm going to order a Ragley Mmmbop once retailers get them in stock.

I had fun on the mmmbop!
    until this https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ork?highlight=
    though it looks like they changed the design a bit since then.

Yikes! They've definitely made changes to it, but I should probably look into their warranty policy. I certainly won't be riding it hard for a while. I might commute on it some just for the hell of it.

Steel is real yo

Progressive hardtails need to be steel. Those are the rules.

Chromag Wideangle as well
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Chromag-Wideangle-Frame-2019

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Progressive hardtails need to be steel. Those are the rules.
    Well, these guys rode the Blue Pig and the Mmmbop and decided the latter rides identically but weighs and costs significantly less.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/ragley-mmmbop

I also like the look of the Mmmbop a little better. I love how the top tube and seat stay flow right into each other.

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Large only, I'm 5-6. Jenson does have another nice deal going on a Stylus that's my size, but even on sale it's almost as much as a Mmmbop frame and the rest of the parts I need to finish the build will cost me.

Speaking of sizing in this category, if you're on the bubble go with the smaller size, right?
    Last edited by Dantheman; 03-04-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Well, these guys rode the Blue Pig and the Mmmbop and decided the latter rides identically but weighs and costs significantly less.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/ragley-mmmbop

I also like the look of the Mmmbop a little better. I love how the top tube and seat stay flow right into each other.
    A 2017 review comparing old versions of those frames back when they hadn’t updated their geometry isn’t hugely relevant. I bought the steel frame for 3 hundred something before they sold out. If you already pulled trigger on the current mmmbop I’m not gonna harsh on that. No pun intended.