Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15

"Progressive" hardtails - yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Looking at this genre of bike for my teen. We cannot test ride one first, nothing available. He's coming from Trek Roscoe.
    He does some racing but mostly just riding smooth-ish singletrack. I have been looking for something like a plain hardtail 29er. Would something like a commencal Meta HT or Kona Honzo be too raked out and slack for XC riding? I'm trying to figure out if these are hardtail DH bikes, or more like a overforked XC bike?
    I think some of the 66-68 would be fine for XC, but the Honzo ESD and the like may be pretty slow. Still would work, but maybe overkill for those kind of trails IMO

Also definitely say go for it Mildbill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    I think some of the 66-68 would be fine for XC, but the Honzo ESD and the like may be pretty slow. Still would work, but maybe overkill for those kind of trails IMO

Also definitely say go for it Mildbill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    normal non ESD Honzo is 66 degree so it should be good.

Looking at this genre of bike for my teen. We cannot test ride one first, nothing available. He's coming from Trek Roscoe.
    He does some racing but mostly just riding smooth-ish singletrack. I have been looking for something like a plain hardtail 29er. Would something like a commencal Meta HT or Kona Honzo be too raked out and slack for XC riding? I'm trying to figure out if these are hardtail DH bikes, or more like a overforked XC bike?
    I'm selling a 2019 Honzo DL. Let me know if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'm selling a 2019 Honzo DL. Let me know if you're interested.
    That is a 68 degree head angle JHyatt just FYI. Might be better than a new Honzo for XC racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    That is a 68 degree head angle JHyatt just FYI. Might be better than a new Honzo for XC racing.
    Thanks I sent a pm
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Thanks I sent a pm
    Bumping this one up. Jhyatt, did you end up going this route for your kid? My son is in need of a new bike (13) and has been having fun riding my old hardtail to the school bus. Thinking its time to try this progressive hardtail. He is also 5' 9 1/2" and growing so I think a large frame will last him years with the bonus I can ride it.

He rides trails, hits jumps at the bike park, etc. Is he gonna be happy long term with a progressive hardtail?

The kid still rides it for sure. It's a medium and he is almost 6' so it's too small but he kind of likes that.
    He does a mtb team and races it, but also goofs around in the woods with friends on it in a way you would not want on a real xc race bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Bumping this one up. Jhyatt, did you end up going this route for your kid? My son is in need of a new bike (13) and has been having fun riding my old hardtail to the school bus. Thinking its time to try this progressive hardtail. He is also 5' 9 1/2" and growing so I think a large frame will last him years with the bonus I can ride it.

He rides trails, hits jumps at the bike park, etc. Is he gonna be happy long term with a progressive hardtail?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Not mine, but for sale locally. Seller is the real deal, wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3305755/

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Not mine, but for sale locally. Seller is the real deal, wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.
    thanks. that bike looks a little too steep on the head angle. Like he would be over the top of the bars hitting jumps, etc.

thanks. that bike looks a little too steep on the head angle. Like he would be over the top of the bars hitting jumps, etc.
    Not w/ the 150mm fork and a size Large IMO. 68* for 120mm fork, so likely more around 66.5* at 150. Not sure what bike park you're talking about, if truly DH lift served then that may not be ideal. If more dirt jump style bike park, 68* is still slacker than most DJs and 66-68* is fine for trail riding. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    That thing is rad. If you want a medium and are local I could sell you my kids bike and get that.
    Too slack and it won't climb for shit. That thing looks just right
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Probably a long shot but….

Decided I’d like to build another hardtail this winter while also fully renoing the house, makes sense right?

Anyways…. Anyone have or seen in there area a large Rootdown they would sell? I’m speaking with Chromag and they are saying they may have frames only by the end of the year ( full deposit required) but I’m just waiting to see if they will be this years colours or next.

I have a M/L Chromag Stylus that I enjoy but would like a 29” hardtail and possibly sell the Stylus.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Let’s bump this up. Anyone have any hardtail builds on the go this winter?? I have sold my stylus and fully committed to finding a Rootdown or perhaps a Doctahawk….

Anyone holding?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums