Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions for a 190 Bibby Pro ski that's a bit tamer and more nimble?

There is a ton that I love about the Bibby Pro but I've now got a fused ankle with zero dorsi-flexion so I'm not able to flat out rage down the fall line and am looking for something similar but that sacrifices a bit of the top end stability for something a bit more nimble in the trees and easier to pivot across the fall line. I love how stable these are in open spaces and they inspire confidence to charge harder than I probably should but my ankle has way more of a speed limit than the Bibbys so I find that I've really got to turn across the fall line more to keep my speed in check. I also would love if the skis were a little less work to pivot in the trees or tight chutes. One thing I love about the Bibby is that it's got a big sweet spot and very supportive tails. Because I can't flex my bad ankle much, hitting an unexpected bump on a ski with a stiff shovel can put me in the back seat momentarily if I'm not ready for it and the Bibby is really supportive and allows me to quickly recover. I guess a ski with a slightly softer shovel wouldn't be a bad thing as it can flex and absorb the bumps a bit. I have 2 good skis for less than 6" days so this will be for deeper days and then for variable conditions the days after so it still needs to be stable in variable but to a lesser degree than the Bibby.

I'm 6' 195 lbs, with the fused ankle I'd say strong advanced but no longer an expert and I never ski switch so a more traditional mount, or even a more centered ski that can be mounted a bit behind recommended, would be preferred.

This quote from Blister kind of sums up why the 190 Bibby is probably not the best choice for me in spite of me liking quite a bit about it, "And if you are willing to give up some playfulness to really dial up the stability at speed and in variable conditions, then you might consider bumping up to the 190 cm Bibby. But the 190 is best suited for those who are really looking to charge more than play." I need to dial back the charging and turn more to keep the speed in a safe zone. Thanks!

Rustler 11 is what you seek.

Gonna get crucified...
    Soul 7 HD is lighter, turnier and easier to ski than the Bibby Pros or Wildcat 108s...
    I have all three, (shhhh don't tell anyone about the Souls--I swear they're my rock skis).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My 187 GPOs that I put up on gear swap?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Gonna get crucified...
    Soul 7 HD is lighter, turnier and easier to ski than the Bibby Pros or Wildcat 108s...
    I have all three, (shhhh don't tell anyone about the Souls--I swear they're my rock skis).
    While I hated the Soul 7 for my own tastes, that's actually not a bad suggestion in this case. That ski certainly has a purpose and suits a lot of people.

Funny that you have all three... I have Wildcat 108's as well and love them. To each his own, the Soul 7's just had too tight of a turn radius for me and were a bit too soft. But I can see why people like them.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    While I hated the Soul 7 for my own tastes, that's actually not a bad suggestion in this case. That ski certainly has a purpose and suits a lot of people.

Funny that you have all three... I have Wildcat 108's as well and love them. To each his own, the Soul 7's just had too tight of a turn radius for me and were a bit too soft. But I can see why people like them.
    Yes to all, but they wail on soft bumps in the spring... Once again, don't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    Boom. No joke, pretty much exactly what OP described, and they’re HAWT AF!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

184 Bibby (wildcat)?

Just go alittle shorter and tour lay up. 184 or 190 wildcat/bibby tour.

I also have a fused ankle and am about your weight, but a few inches shorter. I love my 187 GPO’s for anything soft. Stable, predictable and super easy to ski. I’ll still grab my Protests when it’s real deep, but if you made me choose one soft snow ski it’d be the GPO.

I tour on 184 wildcat tour’s and it’s a sweet ski, but I feel I can push the GPO more inbounds.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    This ^^^^. I suspect you would be so pleased with the purchase.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I might suggest OG super 7 in 188. Fun easy ski that floats well. One of our 2nd hand shops has a pair for like $250. Also some on KSL and can facilitate shipping

Maybe bentchetler or some of the black crows (anima). Also qst118 seems to be friendly from reviews and will let you know once I ski mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

184 Wildcat (Bibby) seems the obvious choice if you love the Bibby shape and just want something easier. They are not demanding at all. Just depends on how much easier going you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The 2019 and deathwish is definitely lighter and softer in a relatively similar shape. I'm not sure how the new ones ski since they beefed them up. Might be a little too close to what you have. I like the 184 wildcat tour suggestions as well.

Red7,

I believe the ski you just described is the Wildcat/Bibby Tour; pick your length. You know exactly what the ski is like but it's just dialed back a little. More float and maneuverability, less effort required but still has the Wildcat/Bibby DNA that no other manufacturer has quite duplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Rustler 11 is what you seek.
    I saw lots of those lapping the tram at Jackson Hole last week.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Gonna get crucified...

Thanks! I almost bought a pair of those a year ago but was concerned how they'd do once the pow got chopped. This is where I'm starting to think that Blister reviews no longer apply to me as they seem to want heavy, damp skis that rage and my definition of charging is now toned down a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Red7 View Post
    Thanks! I almost bought a pair of those a year ago but was concerned how they'd do once the pow got chopped. This is where I'm starting to think that Blister reviews no longer apply to me as they seem to want heavy, damp skis that rage and my definition of charging is now toned down a fair bit.
    Blister had a super positive review of the Soul 7 HD.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...ol-soul-7-hd/2

Which, of course, doesn't mean they don't also love heavy damp skis.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Boom. No joke, pretty much exactly what OP described, and they’re HAWT AF!!
    I'm not familiar with that one so I'll have to read up on it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    184 Bibby (wildcat)?
    This is definitely an option I'm considering. I think the combo of maneuverability and stability in chop would be just what I'm looking for but my only concern is if it will still float good enough in deeper powder for my weight as it will be my widest ski.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I also have a fused ankle and am about your weight, but a few inches shorter. I love my 187 GPO’s for anything soft. Stable, predictable and super easy to ski. I’ll still grab my Protests when it’s real deep, but if you made me choose one soft snow ski it’d be the GPO.

I tour on 184 wildcat tour’s and it’s a sweet ski, but I feel I can push the GPO more inbounds.
    Thanks man, I definitely need to read up on this ski! Off topic but what all have you done to dial in your fore/aft balance on the fused ankle and is yours totally fused or do you have some dorsi-flexion? If I put my foot in a stock boot (I'm using RS 130s) the forward lean of the boot is at my max flexion so if I try to flex the boot at all, it feels like my ankle is going to break where the joint used to be. Because of that I have a 20mm heel lift in that boot to open it up. I have an 8mm heel lift on my good ankle to sort of split the difference since the length of my fused leg is now 10mm shorter after removing the cartilage. That increased ramp ankle causes major quad burn so I've been playing around with gas pedaling the toe bindings and have been experimenting with various heights but am currently running a 6mm gas pedal on my good leg and 14mm on my fused one. Quite a lot of compromises going on trying to get it as good as possible but I'm always curious what others are doing. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Red7 View Post
    Thanks man, I definitely need to read up on this ski! Off topic but what all have you done to dial in your fore/aft balance on the fused ankle and is yours totally fused or do you have some dorsi-flexion? If I put my foot in a stock boot (I'm using RS 130s) the forward lean of the boot is at my max flexion so if I try to flex the boot at all, it feels like my ankle is going to break where the joint used to be. Because of that I have a 20mm heel lift in that boot to open it up. I have an 8mm heel lift on my good ankle to sort of split the difference since the length of my fused leg is now 10mm shorter after removing the cartilage. That increased ramp ankle causes major quad burn so I've been playing around with gas pedaling the toe bindings and have been experimenting with various heights but am currently running a 6mm gas pedal on my good leg and 14mm on my fused one. Quite a lot of compromises going on trying to get it as good as possible but I'm always curious what others are doing. Thanks!
    My ankle is completely fused. I blew my talus into 100 pieces and am held together with screws so I have 0 flex. The best suggestion I could give you is to find a good boot fitter. 3 years ago I found a guy who had worked with dozens of fused ankles in the past and my skiing is night and day. The biggest thing he did for me was to stand up my boots so I have almost 0 forward lean. Custom insoles were able to balance my legs and help with the slight height difference. For the first time in 15 years I was able to drive a ski again. It cost a small fortune but more than worth it.

You ever make it to SLC?

Get those GPO's so I don't do something stupid.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    My ankle is completely fused. I blew my talus into 100 pieces and am held together with screws so I have 0 flex. The best suggestion I could give you is to find a good boot fitter. 3 years ago I found a guy who had worked with dozens of fused ankles in the past and my skiing is night and day. The biggest thing he did for me was to stand up my boots so I have almost 0 forward lean. Custom insoles were able to balance my legs and help with the slight height difference. For the first time in 15 years I was able to drive a ski again. It cost a small fortune but more than worth it.

You ever make it to SLC?

Thanks for sharing! LOL umm yeah, I just got into SLC today actually and will be here the next 2.5 weeks. Is your boot guy here? I've gone out of my way to go to several highly recommended guys and they all say I need to do a lot of trial and error to see what works for me.